Code of Conduct
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9
o

Default Re: Madhat Scents is very under-rated

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    I got my bottles of Tears of Boswellia and Under the Shade of Santal yesterday (along with a bottle of Palo Santo Plateau, since I'm going through my 15 ml bottle of that one relatively quickly). It will surprise nobody who has tried any of Ryan's offerings, the the longevity of both is great, esp. UtSoS, which i could still detect 24 hours later! Having not smelled the earlier SantL, I can't offer any comparison, but I do agree with SubUmbra that this is very much a sandalwood and rose fragrance but I don't find the rose dominating and it really doesn't remind me all that much of Rosa Resin, which I enjoy but prefer UtSoS. It starts very spicy with cinnamon having a large presence before the sandalwood and rose start to really kick in.

Tears of Boswellia is very good as well. I was not familiar with baswellia before and while it is recognizably in the incense category, it does not smell like the typical incense notes often used. There is also something slightly musky and human in there but I suspect it's more of a combination of wood notes rather than musk. (Some of Juniper Ridge's former perfumes, especially Carothers Canyon, had a similar effect on me.) My husband prefers this one over UtSoS, but I like them both a great deal. Both are very resinous and made with obviously high quality materials. I'm extremely happy with my purchases!
    Thanks for the write up. Would you say Tears has piney coniferous notes or more so regular woods?

Thanks

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

I think tony nailed the boswellia review, I would also add that you get the madhat DNA in the far drydown. That almost minty orange/menthol. Th as t you get in most of the openings. This one is probably the most understated version of it. And I only detect it in the far dry down.

Kind of neat that there is no actual musk in this but the woods are being perceived as such. If I had to guess it's hiba which has a sort of musky-cedar vibe.

There is also something slightly musky and human in there but I suspect it's more of a combination of wood notes rather than musk.
    MadHat Scents

Oud Gulab - Ruh Gulab, Taif Rose, Ambergris, Tobacco and Thai Oud

Quote Originally Posted by psawjack View Post
    Thanks for the write up. Would you say Tears has piney coniferous notes or more so regular woods?

Thanks

There are some coniferous notes.

There are some coniferous notes.
    Okay great. Thanks

Basenotes Plus

I've worn Under The Shade of Santal twice (I was able to score a sample of it) and I love it.

I'm not ready to write a full review of it yet but I will soon.

I also own the original SantL and I find this is a totally stand alone fragrance and is different enough to own if you like/own SantL.
    "A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

-- D. Elton Trueblood

So another day is wearing Fields of
    Seville. I just can't get enough of this stuff! Hands down the best lavender frag I've had my nose on since Bois du Portugal. I can't say enough good things about it.

I am wearing Embers today. I found a bottle available on STC and bought it there. I missed it originally on MH scents website. Was surprised to see a full bottle on STC. Lovely burning wood fragrance with a bit of an ashy smell. The fragrance also has a dirtiness that I find appealing. This takes me back to my youth and sitting around the campfire on our family camping trips.

Trying tears of boswellia,

Another hit for me, really liking it

Quote Originally Posted by succio View Post

Could you provide additional details of the fragrance? Any comparisons to other incense fragrance? How's the pine? Thanks

Sent from my SM-T397U using Tapatalk

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by succio View Post

I'm interested in this one also. Anyone else smell it?
    "A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

-- D. Elton Trueblood

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I'm interested in this one also. Anyone else smell it?
    I'll try to explain this one, Mike. It's not like any of the other "incense" fragrances I own. It's not smokey at all but it is very woody, a bit spicy, and has an interesting fresh/dirty balance. There is a bit of almost turpentine-like camphorishness at first which gives it a head-clearing quality, probably due to the wood resins. The slight dirtiness probably comes from hiba wood, according to Ryan. I really like it, but having never to my knowledge smelled boswellia before, it's not something I would necessarily identify as "incense." I think anybody who likes really high quality super-woody perfumes would appreciate it. It was a great blind buy for me.

Basenotes Plus

I'll try to explain this one, Mike. It's not like any of the other "incense" fragrances I own. It's not smokey at all but it is very woody, a bit spicy, and has an interesting fresh/dirty balance. There is a bit of almost turpentine-like camphorishness at first which gives it a head-clearing quality, probably due to the wood resins. The slight dirtiness probably comes from hiba wood, according to Ryan. I really like it, but having never to my knowledge smelled boswellia before, it's not something I would necessarily identify as "incense." I think anybody who likes really high quality super-woody perfumes would appreciate it. It was a great blind buy for me.
    Thanks Tonyprince.

It doesn't sound sweet at all. Is it anything like say...Woodcut by Olympia Orchards? Or Chene by Serge Lutens?

-- D. Elton Trueblood

Thanks Tonyprince.

It doesn't sound sweet at all. Is it anything like say...Woodcut by Olympia Orchards? Or Chene by Serge Lutens?
    Well, I think people who are fans of Woodcut and Chene would likely enjoy it. (I've been on something of a Woodcut binge lately myself.) However, I don't think it smells much like either of them since the woods used are quite different. I don't really have anything else to compare it to although it does smell identifiable as a Madhat fragrance, so I'd say any fan of the house is very likely to enjoy it. I'm sorry I can't do a better job explaining this one to you, but as I said, I don't think I've smelled boswella before and there is apparently a huge amount of it in this!

Basenotes Plus

Well, I think people who are fans of Woodcut and Chene would likely enjoy it. (I've been on something of a Woodcut binge lately myself.) However, I don't think it smells much like either of them since the woods used are quite different. I don't really have anything else to compare it to although it does smell identifiable as a Madhat fragrance, so I'd say any fan of the house is very likely to enjoy it. I'm sorry I can't do a better job explaining this one to you, but as I said, I don't think I've smelled boswella before and there is apparently a huge amount of it in this!
    Sounds great - thank you.

-- D. Elton Trueblood

Any fellow BNer want to swap samples of Madhats? I have Fur, Seville, and Under Sandal tree. Looking for the MFFF and the incense tears one. 5mls max just for s good 3_4 wearings.

Thanks

Basenotes Plus

any fellow bner want to swap samples of madhats? I have fur, seville, and under sandal tree. Looking for the mfff and the incense tears one. 5mls max just for s good 3_4 wearings.

Thanks

sent from my hd1925 using tapatalk
    mfff?

-- D. Elton Trueblood

mfff?
    Yes, interesting name for sure.

Here's the description.

https://madhatscents.bigcartel.com/product/mfff-30ml

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by SubUmbra View Post
    Under the Shade of Santal arrived yesterday. I gave it a wrist-wear then, and today I have it on for a proper wear.

Let's get one thing out of the way first. Ryan positioned this as a "darker, spicier and woodier homage" to one of his earlier fragrances, the now-disco'd SantL. I tried that fragrance once from a bottle I do not own (and covet greatly!), and that was the reason I bought UtSoS as soon as I learned of it.

That said: for the first half of the wearing experience, UtSoS does not resemble SantL, but is instead a near-recreation of Rosa Resin. Is this a bad thing? Not in my book! I adore the latter fragrance and own a bottle of it.

Substitute sandalwood and cinnamon bark for smokey resins. This new fragrance has a similar rose accord as Rosa Resin which, in concert with tart lime and the spiciness of cinnamon bark, create an echo of the former one. The differentiation point is found in the drydown, where sandalwood finally begins to take over (and at 4% of the total batch volume, you'd expect it to!).

The late-mid is absolutely stunning. While I enjoy the initial blast of lime, cedar, and rose (which somehow comes together to form a minty-carnation note), I think the most nuanced part of this fragrance is the early drydown.

At this stage, it smells like a thin film of sandalwood oil dripping down the bark of a Cinnamomum verum tree dotted with rose petals. This could very well be the ultimate expression of what Ryan did with Rosa Resin & Ash & Rose. It may just be his best rose fragrance to date, even if he isn't positioning it as a rose fragrance.

In short: while I hoped this would be more similar to the simplistic brilliance of the original SantL, Iím happy to get what is essentially two fragrances in one. Now I know Iíll never run out of Rosa resin; but Iíll also have a quality sandalwood fragrance which will only get better with age.

Attachment 116693
    I feel the same way with Utsos. Late mid being the best part.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Genny (original) by Genny

Basenotes Plus

Yes, interesting name for sure.

Here's the description.

https://madhatscents.bigcartel.com/product/mfff-30ml
    Ah yes...I saw that the other day

-- D. Elton Trueblood

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9