Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Which TF Private Blend(s) do you find bottle-worthy at retail today?

Quote Originally Posted by Finnster View Post
    you could apply it to the entire hobby. we’re paying for scented water ferchrissakes. does anyone think One Million is worth $80? lol
    Perfumer's alcohol, not water.

I don't know if One Million is worth $80 but it is to some people. And I do know that perfume, perfumed oils, etc and the like have throughout history been highly valued commodities, and often created by some of the most expensive substances we create (oud, real sandalwood, rose, iris,etc are all fantastically expensive from natural sources). And it's been that way for thousands of years. So your suggestion of the frivolousness or exorbitant costs isn't borne out by the evidence of history. Human beings will pay what they want to pay for perfume.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Default Re: Which TF Private Blend(s) do you find bottle-worthy at retail today?

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    Perfumer's alcohol, not water.

I don't know if One Million is worth $80 but it is to some people. And I do know that perfume, perfumed oils, etc and the like have throughout history been highly valued commodities, and often created by some of the most expensive substances we create (oud, real sandalwood, rose, iris,etc are all fantastically expensive from natural sources). And it's been that way for thousands of years. So your suggestion of the frivolousness or exorbitant costs isn't borne out by the evidence of history. Human beings will pay what they want to pay for perfume.
    thanks for the history lesson, Larry Literal...
    Currently wearing: Vert Bohème by Tom Ford

I wouldn't pay retail for any but I did enjoy Italian Cypress when I had some. I will say that Sephora the other day was carrying Costa Azzurra Acqua and I was surprised by it. Mist of the ones like that in his line have a "Glade" air freshener vibe that I can't stand but this one was less aqua and more woods and musk to me. Not bad.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan
    Currently wearing: Vintage by John Varvatos

Quote Originally Posted by Oki-Ni View Post
    Since making a fragrance costs between 5 and 10€ at most, there is no fragrance in any brand that is technically worth the price.
    I mean, if we're talking about how much something costs to make versus how much it is sold for at retail, then nothing is worth its price. The fragrances we wear, the clothes we wear, the computers we're typing on, the phones we carry around with us--everything is overpriced.

I enjoy Neroli Portofino and the whole "blue" line. But will not pay full retail.

Interesting (maybe coincidence) that quality seems to have dropped since TF fragrances was purchased by Estée Lauder a few years back?

Only bought two TF over the years. Check them out on a regular basis but none have made my cut for > 2 1/2 years and none are on the horizon. Too many other brands on the market that are more interesting for the money.
    Currently wearing: Cuir Intense by Guerlain

Funny when I joined BN, Tobacco Vanille was one of the most celebrated scents imaginable. Bois Marocian was hailed as a masterpiece. Noir de Noir was simply above reproach.

Have the scents changed, or the Basenoters? Is it a pack mentality, or the have Private Line lovers of 8 years ago all moved on?

People hailed TV as a masterpiece. Someone came along and thumbed their nose and said it smelled like a vanilla candle... suddenly it was seen as over-hyped and juvenile almost universally. While it is possible that it has been reformulated since mine, I think it is more likely that peoples opinions are being formed by some other people.

I see it with other houses here too - someone calls something boring or entry-level (?) and suddenly it's not quite as cool to like it. As least that's how it seems to me.
    Current Spring Favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. Clive Christian - 1872 for Men
    5. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    6. Ermenegildo Zegna - Javanese Patchouli
    7. Les Nez - Turtle Vetiver Back
    8. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver EDP
    9. Creed - Green Valley
    10. Parfumerie Generale - Grand Siecle Intense 7.1

I agree with most here that when you add the caveat “at full retail”, that none of them are worth it. For those prices you could get fragrances with real Oud, real ambergris, real musk, real and precious rare ingredients. You could end up with vintage bottle(s) of classics. Full retail for these is outrageous for what you get.

I do have NdN and NP right now and like them both. I rarely, if ever, wear NdN. I do wear NP in summer when we’re by the coast as it’s fantastic for that, but the longevity is pathetic. I bought my bottles from Fragrancenet at a deep discount. And they are real.

A couple have mentioned Tom Fords on eBay. Stay away! I’ve been burned before. Some of the most common fakes around are TF fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Funny when I joined BN, Tobacco Vanille was one of the most celebrated scents imaginable. Bois Marocian was hailed as a masterpiece. Noir de Noir was simply above reproach.

Have the scents changed, or the Basenoters? Is it a pack mentality, or the have Private Line lovers of 8 years ago all moved on?

People hailed TV as a masterpiece. Someone came along and thumbed their nose and said it smelled like a vanilla candle... suddenly it was seen as over-hyped and juvenile almost universally. While it is possible that it has been reformulated since mine, I think it is more likely that peoples opinions are being formed by some other people.

I see it with other houses here too - someone calls something boring or entry-level (?) and suddenly it's not quite as cool to like it. As least that's how it seems to me.
    This is really interesting to see. It's a phenomenon that seems to occur everywhere. It's most readily analagous to music. Once a band becomes mainstream suddenly all credibility is lost for the early diehard fans. Never mind that the songs are the same, sometimes even better the fact that one has to, essentially, 'share' with the perceived rabble becomes this weird and hilarious affront to one's identity. It's really odd to see something as seemingly innocuous as a fragrance be so divisive (coughAventus cough) and lead to actual beefs with one another.

It could be what you're saying. I think it could be something else, too. For instance, when something becomes massively popular, people who don't like it feel uncomfortable speaking up. As a result, they remain quiet. None of them wants to say anything bad because they don't want to be seen as the only one who is out of step. Once someone else speaks up, though, then other people feel comfortable speaking up.

Myself? I wasn't posting at Basenotes at the time when Tobacco Vanille came out. I never liked it, though, because it's just so nauseatingly sweet.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    They're coming up with ridiculous names now as well

Fucking Fabulous - who calls a fragrance this?

Lost Cherry - strange
    I love when people go against the grain and add provocation to an otherwise boring, sanitized, fake society. Given Tom Ford's fashion campaigns which are controversial to all the prudes out there, it's no surprise that he's chosen to use the aforementioned names to title his perfumes.

I personally love the name "Fucking Fabulous". What I think is fucking ridiculous is how the word "fucking" is covered in red at Neiman Marcus like it's some horrific word to see. People need to get over themselves and stop being offended by nonsense and instead be concerned with genuinely offensive things like racism, hatred, homophobia, transphobia, etc.
    Currently wearing: No. 5 by Chanel

Basenotes Junkie

I think Tom Ford has gotten too much hype for a lot of hardcore fragrance people's taste. When Drake raps about Tuscan Leather, or Jay-Z talks about rocking Tom Ford, it becomes too mainstream. Someone mentioned above that it's like when a music act makes it big, the indie folks all of a sudden take issue with their music.

If any musician figures out how to rhyme with "Maison Francis Kurkdjian", there are going to be a ton of pissed off fragheads lamenting how BR540 "isn't what it used to be".

(Ladies be like 'what is that you got on?'/It's just that Maison Franis Kurkdjian/
    Up in the club smellin' too good to be true/but between me and you, it's just that Baccarat Rouge
    )

You're welcome, I've ruined perfumery

I said this in my last post, but if I really enjoy wearing something and I can afford it, it's worth it to me. Fragrance is a luxury, non-essential item, so the inherent worth of anything is always in the buyers eyes. I wouldn't buy Dior Sauvage if it's retail price was $25, but if the Amber Absolute rerelease in 2019 smells enough like the original, I will 100% pay $320 for it.

IMO,

Neroli Portofino and its flankers
    Shanghai Lily
    Vert Boheme
    Plum Japonais (I'm on the fence, it's intriguing.)
    Tobacco Vanille (although I don't care for it, I under stand why it's liked)
    Tuscan Leather (although I don't care for it, I under stand why it's liked)

The rest just seem like random amateur projects using good ingredients.
    Currently wearing: Sélection Verte by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by hellbentforleather View Post
    This is really interesting to see. It's a phenomenon that seems to occur everywhere. It's most readily analagous to music. Once a band becomes mainstream suddenly all credibility is lost for the early diehard fans. Never mind that the songs are the same, sometimes even better the fact that one has to, essentially, 'share' with the perceived rabble becomes this weird and hilarious affront to one's identity. It's really odd to see something as seemingly innocuous as a fragrance be so divisive (coughAventus cough) and lead to actual beefs with one another.
    Speaking of music, I don't know much about it aside from "what I like" (though I did work for the Recording Academy one year when I needed a day job), but I agree that I've noticed that phenomenon as well with some bands and their fans. And to be fair to the fans who don't like it when artists "sell out" I loved the "Mama Said" album Lenny Kravitz made, and haven't liked his recent music quite as much -- for example I found "American Woman" wildly overrated because it was so damned repetitive, it just got boring fast. But that's debatably the same thing that made him more accessible. On the flip side of this, I didn't like early Genesis that much, and really liked their later music, even though I think it would be fair to say they also got more repetitive, more simplistic, and more accessible.

You see this in movies sometimes too, I can think of at least one film critic who only seems to like "early" Scorsese, Spielberg, Lucas...you name the Director, he only seems to like his work if it was made when he was young and not super-popular yet. I see this in some cinemaphiles as well.

And likewise, I did myself wondering why The Fragrance That Shall Not Be Named seems to attract so much more scorn than any other similarly-priced popular fragrance.

Is it the price? I don't think so. Wasn't the Tom Ford line just as expensive when it first came out?

Tom Ford has been hugely hyped (deservedly so IMO) for his influence on fashion, so one might think there would be some backlash against him. Maybe I just haven't seen it because I don't know regularly talk about fashion. I do remember my one straight male costume designer friend (who actually built the first "Iron Man" suit in his special effects shop) was a big fan of Tom Ford. I used to see Ford's billboards up on the Sunset Strip (Sunset Boulevard) all the time in the early-mid 2000s. He may still be putting them up there, but I haven't been noticing them as much lately for whatever reason. Maybe the lack of naked ScarJos and Keira Knightleys.

But it seems to me that there are quite a few fragrance aficionados out there who don't think twice about buying $300 bottles of whatever it is they happen to love.

So I'm just guessing there's been a backlash against (oh fuck it) Aventus because it's too popular, or too popular with the "wrong sort" of people.

All I know is I started wearing fragrances again last year after a very long layoff, and it kept popping up at or near the top of a lot of Top 10 lists I read online. If (like me) you got the vast majority of your fragrance information online, you would think it's super-popular.

But what that means in the real world of what people actually buy and wear, I couldn't tell you.

EDIT to add: since I wasn't here when Aventus hit the market, I guess I didn't consider the probability that some of its fan-boys were so hyped about it, they behaved in boorish fashion towards anyone who didn't share their opinion that it was the best thing since Beer...because it's got its own subforum now.
    This is my Opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    Currently wearing: British Sterling by Dana

Basenotes Junkie

I really need to check out Vert d Encens and vert d bois I cant believe I haven't had a chance yet. If one of them is similar to my Amouage memoir (woman) I will need to pass. Memoir is wormwood base w lot of green.
    Creed Original Santal
    Currently wearing: Original Santal by Creed

wearing dad's aftershave™

Despite them being everywhere I go, I haven't smelled all that many, mainly due to the absurd pricing., while the hoity toity SAs manning the counters are the nail in the coffin.

That being said I can comfortably say, none, not even at half the price.

I'm not a hater, and I like several things in the regular line, but the PB series just plays out an exercise in exclusivity and not much else.

But if there is any grail juice I've overlooked, please clue me in.

/Acey

TF's biggest strength, to me, is doing 70's and 80's inspired fragrances and removing some of the more glaringly dated aspects. If there are other houses - at any price point - doing stuff like Vert des Bois or Patchouli Absolu I genuinely would love to know about them. The fact that the quality of Private Blends used to be de rigeur designer quality 30 years ago is a bit irrelevant - how many of those classics can still boast that level of quality in their off-the-shelf current versions?

And yes, TF's full MSRP is a total racket, but once again, kind of an unfair point to make on a forum where so few pay full price for anything. The insane prestige pricing markup on Private Blends often doesn't carry to the gray market where they're usually priced comparably to other niche.
    Currently wearing: Deep Forest by Bogner

Quote Originally Posted by AceyMan View Post
    I'm not a hater, and I like several things in the regular line, but the PB series just plays out an exercise in exclusivity and not much else.
    Ridiculously, though, they're not even that exclusive except for in how they price people out of the line. The Private Blends are everywhere, including mid-level department stores and Sephora.

Only bought dupe oils so I can be way off but from the ones I've tried, none. I get tired of it easily. Perhaps Oud Wood if I really have to make a choice, still I'd use it sparingly.

Was thinking about this today. The line has changed a lot since the first couple years.

I’d rebuy Tobacco Vanille again and again. Heck I have and it’s still amazing.

Basenotes Plus

Vintage

Oud Wood
    Plum Japonaise
    Noir de Noir
    Tobacco Oud
    Santal Blush
    Tobacco Vanille
    Tuscan Leather
    Amber Absolute
    Ombré Leather 16’

Current
    None-but I would & I did buy Ombré Leather 18’
    Make It Happen!

Current Top 10
    1.Encens Mythique d’Orient
    2.L’Heure Perdue
    3.Le Monarque II/Argentium Halo De Lune/Sultanate Of Oman
    4.Candy Aoud/(Dior) Vetiver/Santal Noir
    5.Vision In A Dream Psychedelic/Prolixe
    6.L’Heure Mysterieuse/Au Hasard
    7.Al-Khatt
    8.Le Monarque III/V
    9.Fetish Parfum Pour Homme/Les Sables Roses
    10.Dhajala/Fidelis/Misia Eau de Parfum

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Cannon View Post
    Was thinking about this today. The line has changed a lot since the first couple years.

I’d rebuy Tobacco Vanille again and again. Heck I have and it’s still amazing.
    Are you planning on getting more Tobacco Vanille anytime soon?
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by Pauer_Haus View Post
    TF's biggest strength, to me, is doing 70's and 80's inspired fragrances and removing some of the more glaringly dated aspects..
    PIIICCCHHHAAAOOOOWWWWW. That's your bullet hitting it bang on. It being the question at hand.

Also, agree with other peoples' criticisms and then the subsequent rebuttals. There are 3 threads on the men's page at the moment about TF and many of them are attracting the same topics of discussion, by and large. Overpriced? Yes, no doubt. Most/all perfume is.

But then the subsequent criticisms are off in my opinion. They're not entirely merited even if they're entirely baseless, either.

If Tom Ford was JUST about the profit margin there is absolutely no way he/his brand would have released what it has in the men's signature line. The original TF For Men - nice, classy, retro scent from the 70s minus the 'old' elements. TFFM Extreme - interesting, boozy, old school, not an easy wear etc. Noir EDP - floral, formal, not what you'd expect from 'noir' for men. Noir Extreme - sweet, airy, classy, very old school again, and absolutely not a safe male perfume for the masses. Noir Anthracite, presumaly (yet to test it) is the same. Even Ombre Leather isn't an 'easy' mass market wear for a man. The focus all seems to be about TF's formative experiences, taking the magic/romanticised elements of that, and making it genuinely 'nice' and appealing in the Private Blend line (and sig line) but, as you say, getting rid of the more divisive, and perhaps interesting, elements. I don't see that as a bad thing - in fact, I think their Private Blend line is one of the safest and 'best' value for money high end designer fragrances you can get. Avoiding the money for a moment, and perhaps performance of the NP stuff as well, is there really anything you've bought that rubs you up the wrong way? Did you approach something like Oud Wood Intense, knowing it was animalic, and go 'oh, fuck that, no way what are they thinking!?". Maybe some are but I think they get the right mix of safety, wearability, and 'quality' (how it smells if not ingredients) with very good frequency. The PB stuff is definitely a bit sparse, rather than unfinished, and I think that's what some posters take issue with - they want something that will be desired in 20-30 years' time as a classic, rather than something that inspires a host of flankers 2-3 years down the line to 'fix' elements that were left out in the original. Maybe I agree with that, to an extent. However, there are two other thing to consider here...

- One is the fact that when people talk about the best in the range, many people just say 'the originals' as if Oud Wood and Tuscan Leather (and Tobacco Vanille) are head and shoulders above anything they've produced since. I can't help but feel this is lazy/a mental block from some people because there are just 'better' fragrances that have been produced since then. No doubt.

- The next, and most obvious, point that perhaps hasn't been mentioned is CONTEXT. The context in which those original releases came out - 2007. The world (let alone the internet) was a very, very different place then. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the quantity of fragrances in the early to mid 00s is a tiny fraction of what it became by the end of that decade, and certainly as is the case now? Not just the designer brands but, crucially, the niche market has boomed since the early 00s. As in truly, genuinely BOOMED from something truly 'niche' to a point where they are now widely marketed as well, with a whole host of options at every level and price and need. If you're judging TF in 2007 against TF in 2019, the old adage about standing in the river applies: it's not the same river and you're not the same person. Not to forget the IFRA stuff that would have hampered different batches of the originals down the years. I think this needs reiterating - context matters because it would be very, very hard to TF to come out and make something truly 'disruptive' in a market where someone like Roja Dove, for instance, or MFK has come along and, arguably, done something that draws on elements of TF's market share and supercedes it in various, if not all, ways.

There are many 'issues' with TF, and top of the list seems to be that they're a nouveau-riche, aspirational thing. I think many posters probably do dislike them for more genuine reasons - there is better 'art' out there, no doubt - but it still feels like it's easy to hate TF when, really, they produce what they produce: retro scents with the dated elements cauterised, in a nice balance between 'smells genuinely good' and something to challenge the senses in an increasingly categoric way (recently making a Vert line, Fougere line etc.). Rather than just 'the leather' and 'the vanila' scent, we're now having 2/3 'green' or 'neroli' scents - which isn't necessarily a bad thing, is it?

Also, Fucking Fabulous is obviously catering to a very specific crowd: the gay/camp scene which loves gaudy shit in a knowing, tongue-in-cheek way (for the most part). That's what name/design element of it caters to - and then as a scent, it's sort of 'mad' enough to cater to divas, but also smell good enough that it's not a complete and utter novelty. I dislike it, but it's not so bad that it couldn't become someone's scent if they enjoy the mix of notes. It's easy to rip in to FF but if you get upset by the marketing...that's because you, personally, were almost meant to...(take issue with that if you want, but as someone said, this is meant to be fun...).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    PIIICCCHHHAAAOOOOWWWWW. That's your bullet hitting it bang on. It being the question at hand.

Also, agree with other peoples' criticisms and then the subsequent rebuttals. There are 3 threads on the men's page at the moment about TF and many of them are attracting the same topics of discussion, by and large. Overpriced? Yes, no doubt. Most/all perfume is.

But then the subsequent criticisms are off in my opinion. They're not entirely merited even if they're entirely baseless, either.

If Tom Ford was JUST about the profit margin there is absolutely no way he/his brand would have released what it has in the men's signature line. The original TF For Men - nice, classy, retro scent from the 70s minus the 'old' elements. TFFM Extreme - interesting, boozy, old school, not an easy wear etc. Noir EDP - floral, formal, not what you'd expect from 'noir' for men. Noir Extreme - sweet, airy, classy, very old school again, and absolutely not a safe male perfume for the masses. Noir Anthracite, presumaly (yet to test it) is the same. Even Ombre Leather isn't an 'easy' mass market wear for a man. The focus all seems to be about TF's formative experiences, taking the magic/romanticised elements of that, and making it genuinely 'nice' and appealing in the Private Blend line (and sig line) but, as you say, getting rid of the more divisive, and perhaps interesting, elements. I don't see that as a bad thing - in fact, I think their Private Blend line is one of the safest and 'best' value for money high end designer fragrances you can get. Avoiding the money for a moment, and perhaps performance of the NP stuff as well, is there really anything you've bought that rubs you up the wrong way? Did you approach something like Oud Wood Intense, knowing it was animalic, and go 'oh, fuck that, no way what are they thinking!?". Maybe some are but I think they get the right mix of safety, wearability, and 'quality' (how it smells if not ingredients) with very good frequency. The PB stuff is definitely a bit sparse, rather than unfinished, and I think that's what some posters take issue with - they want something that will be desired in 20-30 years' time as a classic, rather than something that inspires a host of flankers 2-3 years down the line to 'fix' elements that were left out in the original. Maybe I agree with that, to an extent. However, there are two other thing to consider here...

- One is the fact that when people talk about the best in the range, many people just say 'the originals' as if Oud Wood and Tuscan Leather (and Tobacco Vanille) are head and shoulders above anything they've produced since. I can't help but feel this is lazy/a mental block from some people because there are just 'better' fragrances that have been produced since then. No doubt.

- The next, and most obvious, point that perhaps hasn't been mentioned is CONTEXT. The context in which those original releases came out - 2007. The world (let alone the internet) was a very, very different place then. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the quantity of fragrances in the early to mid 00s is a tiny fraction of what it became by the end of that decade, and certainly as is the case now? Not just the designer brands but, crucially, the niche market has boomed since the early 00s. As in truly, genuinely BOOMED from something truly 'niche' to a point where they are now widely marketed as well, with a whole host of options at every level and price and need. If you're judging TF in 2007 against TF in 2019, the old adage about standing in the river applies: it's not the same river and you're not the same person. Not to forget the IFRA stuff that would have hampered different batches of the originals down the years. I think this needs reiterating - context matters because it would be very, very hard to TF to come out and make something truly 'disruptive' in a market where someone like Roja Dove, for instance, or MFK has come along and, arguably, done something that draws on elements of TF's market share and supercedes it in various, if not all, ways.

There are many 'issues' with TF, and top of the list seems to be that they're a nouveau-riche, aspirational thing. I think many posters probably do dislike them for more genuine reasons - there is better 'art' out there, no doubt - but it still feels like it's easy to hate TF when, really, they produce what they produce: retro scents with the dated elements cauterised, in a nice balance between 'smells genuinely good' and something to challenge the senses in an increasingly categoric way (recently making a Vert line, Fougere line etc.). Rather than just 'the leather' and 'the vanila' scent, we're now having 2/3 'green' or 'neroli' scents - which isn't necessarily a bad thing, is it?

Also, Fucking Fabulous is obviously catering to a very specific crowd: the gay/camp scene which loves gaudy shit in a knowing, tongue-in-cheek way (for the most part). That's what name/design element of it caters to - and then as a scent, it's sort of 'mad' enough to cater to divas, but also smell good enough that it's not a complete and utter novelty. I dislike it, but it's not so bad that it couldn't become someone's scent if they enjoy the mix of notes. It's easy to rip in to FF but if you get upset by the marketing...that's because you, personally, were almost meant to...(take issue with that if you want, but as someone said, this is meant to be fun...).
    All great points
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator
    Currently wearing: Néroli Sauvage by Creed

My wife paid full retail to get me Ombré Leather 16. I would have paid the same to replace it, but luckily it was re-released as one of TF's mass market releases so I can replace it at a substantial discount.

One thing about TF's releases is that they're just so expensive it's hard to regard any of the underappreciated ones (and there are quite a few; TF has released so much a lot of things have gotten lost in the shuffle) as underdogs.
    The Brooks Otterlake Swap List

Current Favorites
    Aramis Havana, Aramis Tuscany, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Remy Latour Cigar, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post

Great post. Cheers
    Currently wearing: Royal Oud by Creed

I suppose if there was absolutely no way for me to avoid full retail, I'd still consider buying Fougere d'Argent. Really dig the versatility on that one. Funny 'cause I actually did buy TV at full retail, but probably wouldn't again.
    "I drank what?" -Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    I suppose if there was absolutely no way for me to avoid full retail, I'd still consider buying Fougere d'Argent. Really dig the versatility on that one. Funny 'cause I actually did buy TV at full retail, but probably wouldn't again.
    People seem to dislike Fougere d'Argent because it's no Rive Gauche, but I think it's really nice on its own terms. My wife wears it a lot. (The other TF release she loves to wear is Costa Azzura.)
    The Brooks Otterlake Swap List

Current Favorites
    Aramis Havana, Aramis Tuscany, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Remy Latour Cigar, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    People seem to dislike Fougere d'Argent because it's no Rive Gauche, but I think it's really nice on its own terms.
    Yeah, I get that criticism. I own both and see them as different enough that I don't particularly associate one with the other aside from they're both fougeres tied to TF. Could be specifically that because Fd'A is no RG that I dig it as much as I do.
    "I drank what?" -Socrates

Noir de Noir