Code of Conduct

Default Nicolai Cologne Sologne vs Fragonard Grand Luxe Cologne?

If you have tried them is there one you prefer?Also how do they compare as far as performance?I tried Cologne Sologne and it is a very nice scent.I never tried Grand Luxe.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Nicolai Cologne Sologne vs Fragonard Grand Luxe Cologne?

Own bottles of both. For me the performance of the Fragonard is slightly better on my skin. Both are very nice scents.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I'd go for the Fragonard!
    Currently wearing: Rochas Man by Rochas

I got a sample of Grand Luxe a few days ago.It is quite good.Similair to hednic I found it performs slightly better than Cologne Sologne.I am probably going to get a bottle of one of the two.I have not decided which one yet.

I have not tried the Fragonard, so I am curious. "performance" is a relative term for Cologne Sologne, which is supposed to be a traditional eau de cologne, ie something to freshen up but that doesn't last too long. I use it liberally for the gym and the like (I own a 1 liter bottle).

cacio

For the type of cologne it is, Grand Luxe has good staying power.For me about 4 hours with low to moderate projection the first couple of hours. It is not a skin scent.And I used a relatively small amount.

That is indeed a great staying power for a citrus.

I'm not good at describing scents,but it is not a pure citrus.It is citrusy and something else that I can't accurately describe.I will also add from a quality standpoint these colognes are better than a lot, maybe most of the modern designer releases and deserve more publicity.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayberry2 View Post
    It is citrusy and something else that I can't accurately describe
    Neroli and lavender
    Currently wearing: Rochas Man by Rochas

I also own both, but I must say overall the Cologne Sologne wins out on longevity to me.
    Grand Luxe comes on stronger at first and definitely has stronger sillage for the first few hours, but I find it dies off rather quick.
    The CS on me is a sneaky one and I will get whiffs of it hours later when I thought it was all but gone, especially if you spray a bit on clothes.
    Both stay close to you and become skin scents within 3-5 hours depending on the weather and no. of sprays, but the CS to me is overall most satisfying when I sniff my arm later or catch whiffs of it at the end of the day.
    I would also add the CS smells more natural to my nose than the GL (not that the latter smells synthetic, but the CS ingredients seem top-notch to me).
    To me, CS = mostly bergamot, orange blossom and benzoin, while GL = mostly lemon, neroli and lavender.

Oh boy, toughie - you just named two of my favorite traditional-style edc's.

Cologne Sologne is the one I have much more experience with. One of the first de Nicolais I ever bought. I don't think of it as being particularly ephemeral. The neroli in it broadcasts very noticeably in the top notes. I love the fact that for a lighter fragrance, it is not a lightweight in terms of its development - there are definite stages. The journey toward the final genteel soapiness of its base is such a pleasure. I really wish I had a 8-oz (or could it be a 16-oz?) splash as depicted on the website.

I've only had the Fragonard Grand Luxe for about a year. It was in my rotation for a long time during the warm autumn weather of a few months back. I interpret this as having some subtle spice notes not present in the CSologne and having a drier vibe overall. Looking forward to exploring it more.

Both these fragrances are the epitome of fragrances worn for a sense of overall well-being, as well as for scenting one's self and one's day. Although more typical for summery temps, they can be really energizing and zingy in the cold. The contrast of icy air outdoors and warm fresh citrus wafting up from the front of your sweater is a surprise, a nice one!

Jardanel

the largest bottle of Cologne Sologne is 33 oz. The cap is cork, like a bottle of liquor. Here is the pic of the big boy I have (for comparison, the Chanels are respectively 400ml and 200 ml)
    http://www.cagetti.com/Pictures/colo...gne_1liter.jpg

I'm impressed that these colognes last so long on you all- on me perfumes go away in no time.
    cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Jardanel

the largest bottle of Cologne Sologne is 33 oz. The cap is cork, like a bottle of liquor. Here is the pic of the big boy I have (for comparison, the Chanels are respectively 400ml and 200 ml)
    http://www.cagetti.com/Pictures/colo...gne_1liter.jpg

I'm impressed that these colognes last so long on you all- on me perfumes go away in no time.
    cacio
    OMG, 33 oz, splash! That cork cap just really socks it to me.
    Cacio, thanks for the eye candy!

The large, liquor-bottle opening makes it really easy to insert a pipette and decant into atomizers, which is what I do. (Easier than the Chanel edc 400ml, which has a small opening and requires a syringe for the purpose).

cacio