Code of Conduct

Default If basenotes was monitized, how would you clickbait your reviews?

As a longtime reviewer on youtube, I feel a bit saddened that it has become a big competition for views. Better editing, better cameras, hot girls, fancy thumbnails, and intro/outros are all fair game at the moment. I think that is why many enjoy the simple and quick style of basenotes reviews. However, lets say that reviewers at basenotes got paid a small amount of money for each time that somebody read their review. Would this escalate into something sinister and bad? I don't think this is something to worry about, but I think it would be interesting to consider how this could alter the future of the website. Emojis, fonts, and flowery wording? I dunno... just a passing thought.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Default Re: If basenotes was monitized, how would you clickbait your reviews?

Not sure, may be I'd write about how much I love the reader, how wonderful and awesome they are, and how they are always in my "thoughts and prayers".

I think it would make harsher descriptions more common. Nothing draws eyeballs like a trainwreck. When you read Amazon reviews, don't you jump to the negative ones to see what people hated about it? Did it break? Is it cheap? Did it give you a neck cramp? As much as most of us love to read an eloquent, poetic review of a fragrance, I think from a mass perspective, a combination of harsh and humorous would draw more attention.
    Last edited by Juxtapozbliss; 24th January 2019 at 03:54 PM.
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com

Without wanting to sound extremely (and often unjustifiably) optimistic, moralizing or simply off-topic in saying so, would simply advertise most or even all reviews posted as "simple reviews with no frills from an uncomplicated, average fragrance user"-which would not even be so much click-bait, unless very aggressively, histrionically marketed and advertised, as much as not very far from actual reality

I assume the top "liked" Basenotes reviewers are also the top viewed reviewers already, and I'd say the rankings on that actually reflect both quality and quantity very well.

It's just a different audience here vs. YouTube; authentic, quality content is the clickbait, when it comes to the directory anyway.

Most Liked Reviewers

"It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Freed from BN Institution

Something like that would disrupt the environment of the Basenotes community as we know it.

I enjoy reading thoughts and reviews on fragrances from individuals as s/he sees them and not influenced by outside elements.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Sous Le Vent by Guerlain

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    authentic, quality content is the clickbait.
    This.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I assume the top "liked" Basenotes reviewers are also the top viewed reviewers already, and I'd say the rankings on that actually reflect both quality and quantity very well.

It's just a different audience here vs. YouTube; authentic, quality content is the clickbait, when it comes to the directory anyway.

Most Liked Reviewers

This is the case for the current, passionate audience of Basenotes who is really into this hobby. We voted those people to the top. The hypothetical case of Clickbait being an occurrence, is about drawing general mass search from Google. It's not about the aficionados as we are. Yes, the top reviewers will likely still draw many views by those who are on this site. But if you think about the number of active participants right now...versus the number who only have passing interesting in checking a review on the latest fragrance that they have some interest in...then the most clicks are going to be for the most popular mass colognes. They won't be exploring the site, they will be just going from Google direct to a review of Aventus or Sauvage. That's why this hypothetical question by Brad could throw a very different factor into play regarding popularity.
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Something like that would disrupt the environment of the Basenotes community as we know it.
    Yep, that would turn BN into another popularity contest portal.

One of the things that just works out this rusty dusty ass old site is that it doesn't have any of that kind of crap seeping in simply as the format doesn't cater for it. Overall it makes you wonder how the reboot of this site will turn out because there have been loads of great fora that have turned to tumbleweeds in the past due to an "upgrade" that completely lost the vibe/feel of the original site.

If the current site is a nice (if slightly run down) pub that serves up a nice beer and has an interesting throughput of visitors with lively conversations that all the regulars enjoy.

What if the reboot becomes something like:

With its modern shiny monetization slash social media techniques and the totally different crowd it attracts along with their clickbaity/stupid thumbnail face ways?

Quite a tightrope for the team to walk, thats for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozbliss View Post
    I think it would make harsher descriptions more common. Nothing draws eyeballs like a trainwreck. When you read Amazon reviews, don't you jump to the negative ones to see what people hated about it? Did it break? Is it cheap? Did it give you a neck cramp? As much as most of us love to read an eloquent, poetic review of a fragrance, I think from a mass perspective, a combination of harsh and humorous would draw more attention.
    I suppose that is a possibility. I do love to read the one star reviews at Amazon because they tend to be more fun and often more honest as well. However, I notice that on youtube, the reviewers that get the most clicks tend to overhype a fragrance and can convince you to buy even the most overpriced generic piece of garbage imaginable.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    I enjoy reading thoughts on fragrances from individuals as s/he sees them and not influenced by outside elements.
    Likewise.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Dependent

Basenotes is where I come FIRST to read reviews about fragrances I'm considering to either buy or swap blind. The reviewers here are outstanding as compared with another site, and since I have no use for YT reviewers and all their silliness, I would be disheartened if BN reviews were run in that vein. I want the technical with the poetry - because to me, that is the essence of the art and science that is perfume.

Perhaps it should go w/o saying, but I'll go right ahead... We're all playing in Grant's backyard and at his pleasure I might add. Perhaps the most interesting opinion on the matter would be his I think.
    Wanna Shop? --> Buzier's Sales

MY TOP SHELF: Azzaro pH, Bel Ami, Blackbird, Blend 30, Cuba, Davidoff '84, Derby, Edition, Equipage, Jules, Knize Ten, Kouros, Leather Oud, Puredistance M, Santal Noble, Tribute Attar, Yatagan

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I work a union-protected guaranteed full-time job with optional overtime as it is, and although I'm by no means rich, I'm content. I write reviews for fun. Perfume in general is a hobby. I do have a tip jar set up on my blog called "Ko-Fi", but at $3 a plonk, that barely buys a cup of Starbucks in this town, and most donations to that come from family and friends anyway.

If I monetized reviews, suddenly I'd have to take the audience's wants and feelings into consideration when I choose what to review, instead of what I personally find interesting, so all those vintage reviews and artisinal/more obscure niche reviews would be the equivalent of direct-to-DVD B-movies in terms of "profitability", and I'd be forced to hold polls on what I am to review next... blah blah blah.

The hobby would die, and it would become a second job fishing for views. If I was going to be paid for my opinion (God forbid), it would rather be with a regular salary as an editor or something than a commission-based system like YouTube clicks. I used to sell appliances for Sears under their commission pay system, and the stress/anxiety of that gave me the gray hairs I now sport in my beard. No thanks.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Free for Him by Avon

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    how they are always in my "thoughts and prayers".
    Currently wearing: No. 5 by Chanel

Hypothetically speaking, I’d find a way to link a review to a trending subject matter /personality in an interesting way. Sounds like a lot of work because it is.

Basenotes Plus

Geez Louise
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Basenotes Plus

Most Liked Reviewers

This is a really good list, and for good reason. I'd much rather read what any of them has to say than slog through any YouTube review.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Currently wearing: Patchouli by Réminiscence

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    If I monetized reviews, suddenly I'd have to take the audience's wants and feelings into consideration when I choose what to review, instead of what I personally find interesting, so all those vintage reviews and artisinal/more obscure niche reviews would be the equivalent of direct-to-DVD B-movies in terms of "profitability", and I'd be forced to hold polls on what I am to review next... blah blah blah.

The hobby would die, and it would become a second job fishing for views. If I was going to be paid for my opinion (God forbid), it would rather be with a regular salary as an editor or something than a commission-based system like YouTube clicks. I used to sell appliances for Sears under their commission pay system, and the stress/anxiety of that gave me the gray hairs I now sport in my beard. No thanks.
    Very well said.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    Geez Louise
    My sentiments exactly! I can't believe that Tai-Winds-huffing, server-room-dwelling, dirty dog of a dragon Zealot Crusader bumped my beloved "jtd" out of the #6 slot he's held for seven years! Oh, the outrage of it all!

<jk, ZC>
    Last edited by Cook.bot; 25th January 2019 at 04:04 AM.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    My sentiments exactly! I can't believe that Tai-Winds-huffing, server-room-dwelling, dirty dog of a dragon Zealot Crusader bumped my beloved "jtd" out of the #6 slot he's held for seven years! Oh, the outrage of it all!

<jk, ZC>
    It was a love tap I promise. It'll buff out with a bit of Mother's California Gold and a microfiber cloth.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Free for Him by Avon

Basenotes Plus

I have the only answer, and you'll never guess how perfect the answer is... http://www.basenotes.net/members/262...endingamillion
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    hot girls
    don't call me shallow

If it was a thing I would expect to see on reviews the following: " This review is sponsored by ______ and if you type in my name at their checkout you can receive 10% off fragrance purchases". lol...... pray basenotes never goes down this route where the integrity of reviews goes out of the window.
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

My Top Five

1. Vintage Lauder For Men Cologne
    2. Eau de Rochas Homme
    3. D R Harris Sandalwood (Aftershave)
    4. G F Trumper Eucris EdT & Edp
    5. Guerlain Vetiver