Code of Conduct

Default Body Odor on Air Planes.

Glad I wasn't sitting next to this chap before he was thrown off.
    https://www.foxnews.com/travel/ameri...d-of-body-odor

I think I'd have had to get aggressive with the 20 and 30ml bottles of EDT I have in my carry-on baggage.

Cheers,
    Renato

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Body Odor on Air Planes.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I think I'd have had to get aggressive with the 20 and 30ml bottles of EDT I have in my carry-on baggage.

Cheers,
    Renato
    LOL!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Lean in closer, dear

Blog Entries

Oh, gracious. Just hearing about it makes me smell something.
    A couple weeks ago, as I was nearing a sample table set up in the grocery store, I saw a couple men, one seated in a scooter, talking to the woman handing out samples. A good 15 feet before I passed by, I detected body odor. Perhaps the seated man doesn't get into the shower often. I didn't even want to look at food at that point.
    JOIN US FOR A BASENOTES MEET-UP IN CHICAGO MAY 25, 2019: See thread
    Currently wearing: New Haarlem by Bond No. 9

They should have just offered to let him ride in the cargo hold (with the other animals).

Basenotes Plus

I work with a guy who refuses to shower because he doesn't want "toxic chemicals" on his skin. He threw a fit that would embarrass a two-year-old when the HR director said something to him about it. He one of the reasons I got back into perfume, so I can't smell him over my own cloud of awesomeness.

I can appreciate people not wearing scents, or synthetics, but damn. There are a lot of good products out there these days for that kind of thing. I definitely support a zero-tolerance policy for people who won't bathe. I think I'm going to refresh my sotd.

I understand it must be highly unusual and extreme if everyone including the crew and pilot complained. I do feel sorry for the family, it must have been very embarassing. It's an unfortunate situation to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Oh, gracious. Just hearing about it makes me smell something.
    A couple weeks ago, as I was nearing a sample table set up in the grocery store, I saw a couple men, one seated in a scooter, talking to the woman handing out samples. A good 15 feet before I passed by, I detected body odor. Perhaps the seated man doesn't get into the shower often. I didn't even want to look at food at that point.
    Just hearing about your example almost makes me smell something.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by akguy View Post
    They should have just offered to let him ride in the cargo hold (with the other animals).
    That would be unfair to the animals.
    He should be hosed down before being put in the cargo hold.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyEllie View Post
    I work with a guy who refuses to shower because he doesn't want "toxic chemicals" on his skin. He threw a fit that would embarrass a two-year-old when the HR director said something to him about it. He one of the reasons I got back into perfume, so I can't smell him over my own cloud of awesomeness.

I can appreciate people not wearing scents, or synthetics, but damn. There are a lot of good products out there these days for that kind of thing. I definitely support a zero-tolerance policy for people who won't bathe. I think I'm going to refresh my sotd.
    I am speechless.
    Regards,
    Renato

I've only flown maybe a dozen times and possibly half of those, I could detect the smell of BO somewhere. Such small quarters, the air quality in a plane is always quite poor. Whether it's BO or just stale air, every time I fly it usually smells unpleasant to me.

Unless he's so mission-critical to the company that it can't possibly function without him, you have a terrible HR director. You shouldn't have to work in an environment where someone else makes it unpleasant / offensive to you.

Dependent

I work with a guy who refuses to shower because he doesn't want "toxic chemicals" on his skin. He threw a fit that would embarrass a two-year-old when the HR director said something to him about it.
    I'll fire him on the spot, that's unacceptable.
    Currently wearing: Wall Street by Bond No. 9

And there are the people who carry their little doggies on the plane. When dogs get scared, they emit a pretty bad odor. It was a long first hour for that flight.

Basenotes Plus

My related story is my wife and I are season ticket subscribers for the broadway shows at the theater in the city where we live. We have the same seats for every show every year. A large portion of people in the section we sit in up front are also subscribers, so we have many of the same people around us for each show. There are some really unpleasant odors that come along with this arrangement.

Along with the typical rules of no photography, shut off your cell phones, etc., it is requested that patrons do not wear strong fragrances out of respect to others that may have sensitivities. I respect that request and don’t reapply whatever I am wearing that day before heading to the shows. But, I really struggle because the odors coming off some people just make me want to gag. BO, flatulence, bad breath - gag.

Recently, this one couple that sits next to us must be going out for “Chinese take-out food” before each show because they just smell like the deep fryer. I whispered into my wife’s ear at the last show “ask him if I can have one of those egg rolls he’s hiding in his pocket”.

The only thing I have figured out to do is suck on peppermints for 2 1/2 hours so it helps mask the smells

Yeah dude. Going to the movie theater, too. Get lots of popcorn. Otherwise, you almost always catch a whiff of someone's BO two rows down.

Quote Originally Posted by bklow View Post
    My related story is my wife and I are season ticket subscribers for the broadway shows at the theater in the city where we live. We have the same seats for every show every year. A large portion of people in the section we sit in up front are also subscribers, so we have many of the same people around us for each show. There are some really unpleasant odors that come along with this arrangement.

Along with the typical rules of no photography, shut off your cell phones, etc., it is requested that patrons do not wear strong fragrances out of respect to others that may have sensitivities. I respect that request and don’t reapply whatever I am wearing that day before heading to the shows. But, I really struggle because the odors coming off some people just make me want to gag. BO, flatulence, bad breath - gag.

Recently, this one couple that sits next to us must be going out for “Chinese take-out food” before each show because they just smell like the deep fryer. I whispered into my wife’s ear at the last show “ask him if I can have one of those egg rolls he’s hiding in his pocket”.

The only thing I have figured out to do is suck on peppermints for 2 1/2 hours so it helps mask the smells
    Take a small bottle of Chrome or Joop Homme or something else potent with you, or in your wife's handbag.
    If sitting next to smelly people - apply it liberally then and there.
    No reason to abide by "requests" in the face of olfactory assaults - launch a counter assault.
    If challenged, make the point loudly that you are masking the smell from the stinky people nearby.
    Regards,
    Renato