Code of Conduct

Default Running out of my 12E01 Aventus, new signature scent or proper replacement?

So I love my 12E01 batch of Aventus. Its been my signature scent for the last few years (i've also used it to layer with midnight in paris from time to time), but now that i'm running out, I'm debating on how i can find a proper replacement without spending crazy money for an older batch. Also its probably not a great solution to get vintage batches (crazy overpriced, rare, and i'll run out again eventually.

The new aventus batches are still really nice but completely lacking the birch tar note that made me love it in the first place. I've read that some people buy an essential oil to bring in that note, but that seems like a pretty risky proposition.

So i'm looking for one of three solutions for my future re-up (unless there are other suggestions?):

1.) New Aventus + layered with something else - Is there a nice layering combo that'll give me the same feel (smoky yet fruity and soft, refined yet vibrant) as the vintage batches? I've smelled the 17 and 18 batches which have a nice top note but overall lacking the balance of the woods & smokiness. I hear that Aventus + A city on fire is a close combination? anything else/

2.) Another Scent / Combo w/ same vibe - Is there another scent / combo that you would recommend that would the same or better vibe of the vintage aventus? I've been recommended Mancera Cedrat Bois but i found the scent to be very meh / single noted, soft and powdery without any edge.

3.) Lastly, (and I understand there's general hate towards these guys, but I try to keep an open mind), are there decent clones (aka inspired expressions) that i can use to combo into some thing nice? I've bought Dua's 11Z and PE2.0, neither of which come anywhere close to Aventus (a little too sharp/rough around the edges), though they smell pretty decent and I use them to combine my own unique layering combo, but have not quite found out a combo that's like the vintage aventus yet. (To give an idea, I combine the Dua 11Z with Atelier Cologne's Musc Imperial and it smells quite nice)

Thoughts/ suggestions welcome~
    “To hell with circumstances; I create opportunities.” - Bruce lee

Default Re: Running out of my 12E01 Aventus, new signature scent or proper replacement?

Upon reading your post I immediately did a spritz of A City on Fire layered with a decant of 17V01 Aventus I have, and on the other wrist did a spritz of 12E01 Aventus I have.

Its.........in the same ballpark, but just outside of the realm of what I'd call "close". That might be your best bet, apart from spending crazy money on another 12E01.

Default Re: Running out of my 12E01 Aventus, new signature scent or proper replacement?

aw man thats unfortunate to hear. I was hoping that it would be somewhat close =( I've got a bunch of different decants & couple of bottles in the last month, some nice stuff but nothing that comes close to the vibe i get from the 12E01 aventus =T I guess i'll have to keep hunting
    “To hell with circumstances; I create opportunities.” - Bruce lee

Coming from an amateur perfumer with a love for Aventus, still searching for a material or combination of materials that can replicate that phenolic touch found in older Aventus batches, to no avail it's likely a captive ingredient or something so obvious yet surgically fractionated to work in a specific manner and only the most experienced perfumers know the material. It's a shame Aventus got hit with the IFRA regulations. I also have had no luck finding any replacement for that vintage vibe, 2012 was one of the best batch years. Some say birch tar oil could be the culprit but I've tried it an many dilutions and have even fractionated the meaty part away via hazardous alkaline washing and to no avail, it's just a sweet balsamic wood with little smoke remaining. I hope someone out there can replicate the best parts of vintage Aventus, everyone deserves to experience that glorious scent bubble.

Nothing is written!

Quote Originally Posted by SharpLess View Post
    Coming from an amateur perfumer with a love for Aventus, still searching for a material or combination of materials that can replicate that phenolic touch found in older Aventus batches, to no avail it's likely a captive ingredient or something so obvious yet surgically fractionated to work in a specific manner and only the most experienced perfumers know the material. It's a shame Aventus got hit with the IFRA regulations. I also have had no luck finding any replacement for that vintage vibe, 2012 was one of the best batch years. Some say birch tar oil could be the culprit but I've tried it an many dilutions and have even fractionated the meaty part away via hazardous alkaline washing and to no avail, it's just a sweet balsamic wood with little smoke remaining. I hope someone out there can replicate the best parts of vintage Aventus, everyone deserves to experience that glorious scent bubble.
    Are you using crude or rectified birch tar?

And the part about fractionating the meaty part away, since the meaty and smoky compounds are not mutually exclusive and they are phenols, hence weak acids, what you might end up doing is washing away some of the meat AND smoke, since the alkaline solution reacts with the phenolic compounds, which could explain the dissatisfying result you ended up with.
    “To defeat an enemy you must know them. Not simply their battle tactics, but their history, philosophy, art.”
    Grand Admiral Thrawn

Taking a break, though I might drop in from time to time.
    If I don’t reply, that’s why.
    - Norstrøm