Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Pine/juniper fixative

Any suggestions for fixative for pine/juniper chord?

It got it all spruced up with some lemon and a tiny amount of cedar leaf (Witch is fixed with hedione)

However the pine/juniper chord fades away quite fast. I have tried, iso e super, Et. brassylate and velvione without any great result.

Anyone?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Pine/juniper fixative

Vertofix
    Cedramber
    Cedroxyde

Fir absolute.

Also pine absolute, oak moss absolute, C12 mna, C12 lauric, norlimbanol, labdanum absolute or HCR

Inviato dal mio AGS2-W09 utilizzando Tapatalk

Pay attention also to Prismantol, Norlimbanol, Plicatone.. Cedramber
    Cedroxyde I agree too. But in any case, you will need to make a full and multi-part basic accord (by adding other ACs too) if you want your composition to not disappear too quickly.

Allright... Going to try the fir, oakmoss and labdanum tip ... the rest will have to go on the shopping list :-)

Thanks!

Fir Balsam Absolute. You can also give the pine accord more body and presence in the fragrance by adding Timbersilk and Neobutenone Alpha. These two combined give a pine-like effect. A trace of Cistus Oil or Labdanum Absolute will help fixate the pine accord by giving a dry and sweet resinous effect which can be reminiscent of pine sap if used in the right amount.

Finally adding a very clean patchouli-like note such Patchoulol, or Clearwood will help extend the pine effect in the formula.

Basenotes Plus

Pine and Juniper, are EO's from the leaves/needles, consisting of a lot of Limonene, terpinene, and Pinenes. These do not last long, and there is nothing you can do to make them last longer. You can only add in other materials that end up being similar, that last longer.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    Pine and Juniper, are EO's from the leaves/needles, consisting of a lot of Limonene, terpinene, and Pinenes. These do not last long, and there is nothing you can do to make them last longer. You can only add in other materials that end up being similar, that last longer.
    ^ This

Long lasting pinene types is why I suggest the Fir abs or things like it. bornyl acetate and resins. For long-lasting limonene notes, there are lots of choices depending on what you are trying to high light. Lemonile or magnolan etc. Terpenes have such a chemically facet to them that the ambers are great choices. And lots of choices to extend woods down too. Juniper has a cocktail association to me and so oak co2 would extend that facet and is quite woody also. Heading it into resinous or incense is one way people do it. Bois products by robertet are great.

Quote Originally Posted by RSG View Post
    ....bornyl acetate and resins.
    Politely butting in here....Can you tell me the difference between Bornyl Acetate and Isobornyl Acetate, in terms of scent and longevity.

I have Isobornyl Acetate and love the scent, but it only lasts about half an hour on skin. I have always wondered how Bornyl Acetate compares/differs to Isobornyl. Thanks

Basenotes Plus

Many times, if you have one, then don't worry about the other, in terms of Iso, or non Iso. In this instance, I only have the Isobornyl acetate.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

I'm sorry that was a mistake I meant to write borneol. It is longer lasting. Also hexyl benzoate I think is a valuable contributor.

Blog Entries

...and bornafix

Quote Originally Posted by BAGreat View Post
    Fir Balsam Absolute. You can also give the pine accord more body and presence in the fragrance by adding Timbersilk and Neobutenone Alpha. These two combined give a pine-like effect. A trace of Cistus Oil or Labdanum Absolute will help fixate the pine accord by giving a dry and sweet resinous effect which can be reminiscent of pine sap if used in the right amount.

Finally adding a very clean patchouli-like note such Patchoulol, or Clearwood will help extend the pine effect in the formula.
    Love the idea of anything pine or juniper like with labdanum. No one mentioned Cypress abs. Extremely expensive but wonderful. Shares facets with both Oakmoss and Fir Balsam.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldara View Post
    Any suggestions for fixative for pine/juniper chord?

It got it all spruced up with some lemon and a tiny amount of cedar leaf (Witch is fixed with hedione)

However the pine/juniper chord fades away quite fast. I have tried, iso e super, Et. brassylate and velvione without any great result.

Anyone?
    Don't expect such molecules to magically 'hold onto' one another. Think about how to extend it with other similar notes. Iso E Super could play a role to appeal to the woody, cedar like facets of pine. Other heavier terpenes too. Longifolene. Pinoacetaldehyde also has a pine note, but floral muguet facets as well. Olibanum, oil, CO2, or resinoid. Think about Maltol, in traces, to blend with fir balsam. Many of the other suggestions already given would work as well.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by George Tedder View Post
    Pinoacetaldehyde
    Did you buy a kg of this George?
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Did you buy a kg of this George?
    No, I got a sample from John D. Walsh. I believe they still retail it.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by George Tedder View Post
    No, I got a sample from John D. Walsh. I believe they still retail it.
    Yes, got a sample too, was hoping to get more... but no budget for a whole kg.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Christine at Perfumer Supply House has a new Gurjun balsam which I think will do the trick for you! https://perfumersupplyhouse.com/prod...oil-biolandes/

Yes, got a sample too, was hoping to get more... but no budget for a whole kg.
    I remember seeing it on TPA.

https://shop.perfumersapprentice.com...20acetaldehyde

I got a sample of the pino and must say that it is wonderful. It is, however, not a fixative.

A little of Levistemal will give the wonderful effect to pine note.

通过我的 SM-N9500 上的 Tapatalk发言

Hmmm...

What is it, and who sells it? Cant find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldara View Post
    Hmmm...

What is it, and who sells it? Cant find it.
    If you mean Levistamel, it's a strong-smelling lactone that smells like caramel with a hint of soup herbs, and Perfumer's Apprentice sells it pre-diluted.

cedrenyl acetate
    frankincense (good match with pine)
    ambrettolide
    fir balsam oliffac IFF
    Currently wearing: Encre Noire by Lalique

Quote Originally Posted by Faceless void View Post
    cedrenyl acetate
    frankincense (good match with pine)
    ambrettolide
    fir balsam oliffac IFF
    Frankincense + c12 mna = better match with pine

Inviato dal mio SM-J730F utilizzando Tapatalk

Yes ... The frankincense turned out to be a good pair with the pine ... C12 is on the shopping list.

oak moss
    oak moss is dark, YET is shares some of the same molecules found in pine, juniper e.o.

Oak moss + fir absolute + pine/juniper e.o. = a simple, complete, "christmas tree," type accord
    Know your "why," and the how is there.

labdanum may lend a complex, deepening effect to pine/juniper e.o.
    styrax, or "storax," will also lend a nice thickening effect to pine-family scents.

LABANUM
    OAKMOSS
    STYRAX
    FIR ABSOLUTE

**the above will all work to add depth and complexity to pine and juniper scents.

timbersilk will add a dry textural, cedar like scent to your pine/juniper oils.
    vertofix will add an almost myrrh/leather/suede type scent to your pine

Bois de Landes, as mentioned above, is a good choice....it`s very complex old wood and marshlands, but lighter than oak moss or labdanum.

*Play with everything everyone has mentioned above.
    You`ll be on your way to a couple of dozen unique accords, record them well...take notes on your computer, label your vials.

Don`t look to make a final product - just take notes (IMHO)
    Know your "why," and the how is there.