Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: So Parfums Vintage just dropped more scents

In my opinion that's a good way to drive a company into the ground. Place quantity over quality and produce so many releases that potential customers are intimidated and haven't the slightest idea where to begin.

I've got a 5ml sample of Sandal Amber on the way so, hopefully, I'll know when way or the other whether this really does compete with AA!

The Pv clones were so hyped I forgot to explore their reviews regarding their customer service and if it's a company I can count on and I blind bought a couple of bottles and it just seems to be a horrible mistake since I was already charged for 175 $ and it's impossible to get a response via email ,Facebook or any other way.
    Any tips what should I do about it guys?
    Tnx
    Currently wearing: Psychedelic Love by Initio

Cannot believe yet another customer is complaining about their service. Feel sorry for you M.y.f.b.

Your best bet is to try and get your money refunded either via PayPal or credit card, depending how you paid.

Annonyingly, they seem very keen on responding (at length) to YouTube videos reviewing their fragrances - yet won't actually reply to paying customers? It seems completely insane.

What is the problem specifically? Did you buy from them and they haven't delivered the bottles yet? By all accounts they do not give any tracking information of tell you they have posted your purchased items - they might turn up depending on when you bought them, particularly if you're in Israel, where I believe there are fairly strict import laws and checks? If it doesn't arrive - try to get your money back and, if you're really keen on buying their fragrances, look to somewhere like ebay or another similar site as you're probably more likely to get better service there than you are from the company itself (which is MAD and I'm seriously doubting whether to buy from them, even if I do love Sandal Amber).

My Sandal Amber sample arrived today and after the first test, I have to say it is very, very close in terms of smell. A very good clone indeed.

However, as expected really, there's a distinct lack of quality to it. Visually, the liquid looks very similar in colour, but is less thick, less viscous. More importantly, though, the scent is a bit...chalky? Playdough, maybe crayons as well? The notes themselves don't leap out like in Amber Absolute, the scent doesn't have the pungency, the thick smokeyness, the rich 'amber', nor the heavenly, daring sweetness of the vanilla all projecting themselves into the atmosphere. It's more of a 'blend'. In short: the individual notes aren't as prominent and it doesn't have the magic of the original. And that is, sadly, my gripe with clones - it's not so much the notes themselves that are the best part of a fragrance, but the whole thing - and Parfums Vintage will (almost certainly) never be able to replicate that.

There's also something else that isn't in Amber Absolute. Looking it up and it says there's pathchouli there, which isn't in AA. I definitely get a slightly danker smell in this, so I'm certain I'm smelling that. But there's something else as well - in my opinion, it's something edible. A bit spicy and definitely something very, very evocative that I've grown up knowing - and I can't think what at the moment, but I'm sure it will come to me if I keep sniffing. I have to get relatively close to 'get' that nostalgia smell and detect that slightly spicy note, but doing that is a health hazard as this stuff is ridiculously strong.

So, despite this scent not having the same 'loudness' as Amber Absolute in terms of notes, as a fragrance itself it is still absolutely lethal. Big projection and longevity, and very, very heady if smelt up close. The liquid also stains as well so watch out for that.

Not bad at all. I'd consider buying this if it was in and around the £50 for 100ml to be honest. But it doesn't have the je ne sais quois of the original that takes AA from a slightly garish, brash, challenging scent to one that is luxurious and denotes wealth and assurance.

EDIT: The edible smell is ground white pepper! Practically identical and it makes for a strange, slightly jarring presence alongside the vanillic sweetness.

For those who don't know what white pepper smells like, it's quite different to black pepper. It's not as deep, doesn't have as much potency or range to its taste or smell, and frankly it isn't quite as...'nice'. It's a dusty, musty smell with a surprisingly strong heat to taste. Intriguing, no doubt, but definitely black pepper's poorer older brother. It's a smell inextricably linked to growing up for me, of visiting one cafe in particular where white pepper was part of range the table condiments, rather than black pepper, and so I'd eat it with a cheese and onion omelette. Very happy memories...but...

...using it in this fragrance? Or, at least, having something very, VERY close to white pepper in this fragrance? Not welcome whatsoever. The trio of smoke, 'amber' richness, and sweetness is what makes Amber Absolute a star.

Thankfully, the pepper smell does grow quieter in the drydown, but there's still a slight chalkiness there all the way through. A really solid effort for PV, to be honest. Not bad at all - just not worth the money yet. Would potentially pick one up second hand/non-retail if the price drops into double figures (for £). I'll see what I think when I've used ths full decant.
    Last edited by slpfrsly; 9th April 2019 at 12:36 PM. Reason: I remembered what it smells like!

They just recently added 3 more new ones.. actually 6 with the Intense versions..

Alpine Winds
    Isla Tropical
    Aqua

The only one I read for sure is that Alpine Winds = Silver Mountain Water. Isla Tropical is likely Virgin Island water. Aqua I'm not sure. The notes are: Top: Grapefruit, Pink Pepper Yuzu. Middle: Marine Accord, Violet Leaf. Base: Gaiac Wood, Ambergris.

Does this company list ingredients on their packaging? What else separates them from Alexandria, which is highly maligned here? It seems like they're selling clones at almost $2 USD/mL.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack103 View Post
    Does this company list ingredients on their packaging? What else separates them from Alexandria, which is highly maligned here? It seems like they're selling clones at almost $2 USD/mL.
    Yes they do. I just checked the bottom of the boxes of the scents I own and they all have ingredients listed.

Well it looks like Aqua is Invictus Aqua. They make a note that it's the 2016 version... which are selling for crazy prices on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321 View Post
    Yes they do. I just checked the bottom of the boxes of the scents I own and they all have ingredients listed.
    Thanks for the info. This company doesn't seem appealing to me, but to each his own. I've got CDNIM which was $28 when I first got it (obviously a bit more expensive now due to hype) which will probably last me for many years due how strong it is. I've also got Blue Depths from Belcam for $8 which uses real oakmoss and satisfies all the CW/GIT cravings that I get. Why are they charging so much for what are essentially mass spectrometry clones with some values tweaked to emulate different batches?

Add 2 more to the list. Citrus No. 1 and Pour Homme. No idea what these 2 are clones of …

Add 2 more to the list. Citrus No. 1 and Pour Homme. No idea what these 2 are clones of …
    I Think from the notes that Pour homme is a clone of Gucci Envy and Citrus No.1 im not sure.

I believe Citrus N0.1 is Nio

Basenotes Plus

I honestly like Xbatch and Rush of Unicorns. My GF wears Rush of Unicorns daily it's a good MI clone. The GPH2 clone is good too I had a sample of it. Didn't care for the aventus clones. I'll probably sample the VIW Clone since it's my favorite fragrance just to see how close they get.
    Follow me on Instagram @ Bay_Area_Cologne_King

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetstench408 View Post
    I honestly like Xbatch and Rush of Unicorns. My GF wears Rush of Unicorns daily it's a good MI clone. The GPH2 clone is good too I had a sample of it. Didn't care for the aventus clones. I'll probably sample the VIW Clone since it's my favorite fragrance just to see how close they get.
    I purchased the GPH2 clone and it is very good. Sadly, I looked on ebay AFTER I got it and you can actually still get the original cheaper than this offering from PV.

Oh well, live and learn ..

I purchased the GPH2 clone and it is very good. Sadly, I looked on ebay AFTER I got it and you can actually still get the original cheaper than this offering from PV.

The PV version is supposed to outperform GPH2, by which measure you may have made the better purchase. Has this been your experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thorien View Post
    I believe Citrus N0.1 is Nio
    ooh. Tempting.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack103 View Post
    Why are they charging so much for what are essentially mass spectrometry clones with some values tweaked to emulate different batches?
    In my honest opinion, they've recognised a 'gap' in the market and are working hard to reap the rewards from it.

I often feel like much of the fragrance community could be considered 'socially acceptable' addicts, and by tapping in to the psychology that craves for scarcity, or expensive niche fragrances, they're basically offering stability in what is otherwise an unstable market.

Something like Aventus - if you love it, then good luck getting any reliability or stability to the scent from batch to batch. Solution? Create 20-odd Aventus clones and/or tweaks to satisfy every customer (I reckon option paralysis is an issue here, but perhaps not for some who really love Aventus). That also plays in to the 'collector' in some people, who desperately want to 'complete' a set.

The other angle is to go for recently reformulated and/or discontinued scents - someting like Amber Absolute, or Invictus Aqua 2016. It might make sense for something like AA, as it's still 1/3 of the price. But for Invictus Aqua? I've seen full bottles selling on ebay for less than that they're charging for the clone.

It's very clever marketing - it could only exist with the internet, as it's basically identifying a desire within the community, designing and producing a clone to watch, and rolling it out in the space of a few months. I'd guarantee you will see Armani's AdG Essenza in clone form soon enough. Though perhaps not 'mainstream' enough,Rive Guache may follow, too?

I forget the marketing term/technique for bumping up the price in order to convince the customers of quality, but I feel like this might be going on here. By all accounts, it's a small, UK-based start-up, but a few too many things seem off about it.

Ultimately, I disliked Sandal Amber. It's a decent clone but the parts which are different are significant enough to turn it from a love to a mild dislike. I wouldn't buy a full bottle, especially not when you can buy excellent oil dupes that produce a better drydown for a fraction of the price.

Let's be real - this is still a clone at the end of the day. The speed they churn out fragrances is an indication of the business model. If they started producing their own, indie scents, it'd be different. But this isn't about the art of perfumery, this is about the business. That might seem critical but for a company that is using freebies to youtubers etc. to grow their brand, I think it's worth chipping in with an opinion to offset what is basically sponsored credibility. I agree with others who are saying something feels off about them.

Not to criticise you at all, but this confirms my suspicion - the 'stability' of ordering from a catalogue-style website, set prices, some security of distribution, makes people buy when if they waited a few weeks for something to crop up on an auction site, they'd get pay similarly for the real thing.

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    The speed they churn out fragrances is an indication of the business model.
    This is the thing.

I like the idea of a brand devoted to building scents replicating classic vintage releases or formulations that are no longer available, but these scents aren't lovingly made tributes.
    Swap Thread | Sale Thread

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, English Laundry Windsor, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Remy Latour Cigar, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Humongous View Post
    The PV version is supposed to outperform GPH2, by which measure you may have made the better purchase. Has this been your experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I used to own a bottle of GPH2 years ago but I really can't remember it's performance as it was a time when I was wearing many other scents.

I do like this offering from PV though. I've worn it twice and have gotten many compliments.

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    Not to criticise you at all, but this confirms my suspicion - the 'stability' of ordering from a catalogue-style website, set prices, some security of distribution, makes people buy when if they waited a few weeks for something to crop up on an auction site, they'd get pay similarly for the real thing.
    I definitely agree with you on that point with this scent. But as for the Aventus clones from them and most of the others, I'm very satisfied with the price/quality. And if Citrus No.1 is anywhere NEAR Nio, I'll be ecstatic!

ordered the following samples, 10 days delivery apparently...

Isla Tropical Prive
    Aqua Intense (2016 Intense)
    Citrus No. 1 Intense

Quote Originally Posted by Thorien View Post
    ordered the following samples, 10 days delivery apparently...

Isla Tropical Prive
    Aqua Intense (2016 Intense)
    Citrus No. 1 Intense
    Let us know please what you think. Especially with Citrus No. 1 Intense.
    I wore Aqua Intense today as my SOTD and it was very good!

Let us know please what you think. Especially with Citrus No. 1 Intense.
    I wore Aqua Intense today as my SOTD and it was very good!
    Will do
    Have to admit I like quite a few of their scents.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    I like the idea of a brand devoted to building scents replicating classic vintage releases or formulations that are no longer available
    Exactly this.

They should launch a secondary line/brand that focuses on this.
    "Resurrection"

Then they can keep pumping out the clones under the PV brand.

I don't get how they charge a premium for their clones, and they can't even ship the week you buy them. Their website has had "High volumes of orders and integrating new releases will result in "Shipped out" in 10 days." since forever. Ridiculous. They are not cheap, they only appear to be because their smaller bottles being compared to the big bottles of what they try to replicate.

I value the effort (and money) companies put into creating a scent. All that time developing a fragrance cost money... then comes PV and clone the hell of them forgoing all the time/money it took to create a scent by just cloning it and charge almost the same per ML than the original? The fact they send 10 bottles a week to each youtube reviewer clearly shows the juice itself doesn't cost them much... it's customers that pay for all those free bottles they just hand over to any reviewer with more than 100 subscribers.

The only fragrance I want from them is Rush of Unicorns, but there is no way I'll pay more per ML for their juice than what an established house like Mancera charges.

Basenotes Plus

Ok got my samples of Isla tropical prive, Pour Homme, and And citrus no 1. Citrus No 1 is a wannabe nio clone but from what I'm smelling is a pale comparison to Nio. I no longer have it but I wore it a ton when I did and this is no Nio. Pour Homme I assume is Gucci Envy based in the notes. I've never smelled the fragrance but I never smelled the original fragrance so I can't compare it. If this is how Envy smelled then I like it a lot. Isla tropical Prive is a decent VIW clone if you like Lime heavy batches I prefer my VIW with more coconut and rum than lime so this is a pass for me

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetstench408 View Post
    Ok got my samples of Isla tropical prive, Pour Homme, and And citrus no 1. Citrus No 1 is a wannabe nio clone but from what I'm smelling is a pale comparison to Nio. I no longer have it but I wore it a ton when I did and this is no Nio. Pour Homme I assume is Gucci Envy based in the notes. I've never smelled the fragrance but I never smelled the original fragrance so I can't compare it. If this is how Envy smelled then I like it a lot. Isla tropical Prive is a decent VIW clone if you like Lime heavy batches I prefer my VIW with more coconut and rum than lime so this is a pass for me
    Thanks, good to know I shouldn’t bother with the Nio clone.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    Thanks, good to know I shouldn’t bother with the Nio clone.
    Yeah if you're looking for a Nio replacement i say no. But it's a good Neroli fragrance in its own right my girlfriend says it smells better than Neroli Savauge and Eau De New York which are my 2 favorite Neroli fragrances