Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member

Default NEW: Al Haramain - Faris EDP

OPP.jpg

One world is not enough to enjoy the pleasures of Faris, a perfume that majestically sweeps you off your feet like a knight, and carries you on a voyage to discover places you've never been, like the pineapple forest, the cedar wood deep, the patchouli planet and the amber way galaxy. Faris blends the best of the fruity, woody, floral and animalic worlds all into lustrous fragrance you would love to keep for as long as it takes to explore four words. Enjoy sweet-smelling discoveries every day - Al Haramain

Waiting for some reviews about this fragrance !

Default Re: NEW: Al Haramain - Faris EDP

I am waiting for a bottle of this to arrive in the post after ordering based on a glowing Fragrantica review. Feeling a bit apprehensive for it's arrival now because I found out the reviewer was talking about Faris Aswad rather than the Faris EDP. I'll pop back in and give my impressions and coworker reactions after I've had a chance to test it.

Dependent

Added to my test list.

40/70ml is expensive for an Al Haramain although the notes do sound quite wonderful. Any BNers inhaled it yet? Online are saying:

When I look at the official fragrance pyramid, I don't really recognize Faris, so I will tell you what I do smell independently of what notes might in fact be inside the bottle. Faris is a loud and busy fruity chypre as I see it. It starts juicy from sweet pineapple and citric bergamot, but I can already feel the thickness of honey and dried fruits--namely dates--with incense smoke wafting throughout the fruits.

Supposedly a base note, civet is prominent from the beginning, and its pairing with bergamot makes me think of the oldest chypres. It's not really civet that I smell, but rather animalis, the base from Synarome, which mixes fecal smells with honeyed and floral tones, resulting in something amazing. It reminds me of the great animalic fragrances from the past. Then there comes a thick and indolic jasmine, the white floral iconic smell, with mothballs included and the opulent adornment of rose. The ensemble is jammy, floral, and smoky. The heart reminds me of another of my favorite perfumes ever: Majalis, from Spirit of Dubai.

Faris develops into animalic amber with a strong note of oakmoss and patchouli. It's earthy and sweet, while keeping all of the notes that I mentioned before. It's nothing short of stunning. It really creates a strong impression, but this scent also has to be worn carefully. It's a beast! Extremely intense and it never fades. I would recommend two sprays, if you want to have decent sillage with manners. Otherwise, if you want to overshadow, and possibly suffocate everyone else, go ahead and splurge. Faris is unforgettable, and it will be my delight for special occasions for its luxurious, overwhelming, extravagant character. It's the kind of fragrance that you wear to impress.
    https://www.fragrantica.com/news/Al-...Max-11592.html

Just received this and indeed it is THE BOMB! A smoky fruity animalic ambery chypre.The combination of the sour fruity animalic and smoky notes is nothing short of breathtaking .If Lush’s Breath of God and Parfum d’Empire’s Aziyade had a baby this would be it .Faris is a shapeshifter .From the initial blast of sour citric fruits to the animalic ambery drydown with a persistent smoky haze throughout , Faris is a dense colossus of a scent .This is one to get you noticed and will leave it’s calling card long after your gone .Fans of the great chypres of yore take note and those who like to be challenged should give this a try as well.With excellent longevity and with a persistent always evolving sillage of notes this puts most modern aspirational “Niche” scents to shame.Try if you dare
    https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/...ris-52426.html

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    40/70ml is expensive for an Al Haramain although the notes do sound quite wonderful. Any BNers inhaled it yet? Online are saying:

https://www.fragrantica.com/news/Al-...Max-11592.html

https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/...ris-52426.html
    Those are the reviews that sold it to me but they talk about pineapple and amber which are from the Faris Aswad note pyramid

https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/...wad-51821.html

Really hope this is nice regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by GourmandMichael View Post
    Those are the reviews that sold it to me but they talk about pineapple and amber which are from the Faris Aswad note pyramid

https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/...wad-51821.html

Really hope this is nice regardless.
    Thats odd as the OPs bottle/notes are the same as the pages I linked and thats what caught my attention. Interested in hearing what you make of it once it lands please.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    Thats odd as the OPs bottle/notes are the same as the pages I linked and thats what caught my attention. Interested in hearing what you make of it once it lands please.
    Will do!

Well this arrived. It all feels very "fancy" with the gold packaging and bejewelled bottle... Well fancy or tacky depending on your tastes

As soon as unwrapped the cellophane I realised what I was letting myself in for as the aroma did it's best to escape the sealed box. If you had to guess what your standard a Middle Eastern "gold" fragrance would smell like, this is it. It's floral, spicy and fairly sweet... I'm surprised not to see oud or amber in the base notes of the scent pyramid because of the density of it. It's a very smooth and luxurious smelling fragrance but there is also that slight funk on the opening that gives these scents their longevity. At first my brain was "oh so this is like One Million Absolutely Gold" then "no actually it's closer to Rhagba or Armaf Niche Oud". Having tried all 4 in test strips side by side I'd say this isn't as sweet as any of those fragrances, although I did get a boozey note like niche oud but not as heavy. I did ask the gf to rank all 4 scents in order for a bit of fun and she ranked this second best behind One Million Absolutely Gold and ranked Rhagba last because she says, and I quote, "it smells like p**s".

I'll probably be looking to swap this out or sell it now my curiosity is satisfied.

IMG_20190419_094534.jpg

IMG_20190419_095847.jpg

Thanks for your impressions. How is the pineapple note and is it is animalic as people say also are the florals prominent?

Doesn't seem like the kind of scent I'd enjoy based on what you've said as I don't like that overbearing Arabian sweetness that so many of them feature but the note profile did have potential.

There is no pineapple note present I'm afraid because that's from the notes for Faris Aswad.

R-12732325-1540906001-1100.jpeg.jpg

I am starting to feel like I was a little too harsh on this Fragrance. The more I wear it, the more I'm starting to appreciate the citrus notes and longevity (the summery weather is making it shine). I am going to wear it for work today and will report back either tonight or tomorrow.