Code of Conduct

Default Japanese Genre Oud Attars...

Hello.

I'm hoping to gain an insight and get suggestions into oud attars with compositions based on Japanese incense.

I've purchased a few perfumes lately from Rising Phoenix - and was especially happy with their Kyoto Gyoen Oud.

I've recently received an email from Agar Aura regarding their new releases and am drawn to their oud attar, Neriko, v.3, which is listed as in the Japanese genre.
    (I made a purchase from Agar Aura sometime back of their oud attar, Oud Lubani, which I treasure as a frankincense centric attar.)

Has anyone tried Agar Aura's Japanese based oud attars?

I would also be grateful for any suggestions of other houses that have similar Japanese incense related oud attars and perfumes!

Thanks!

Default Re: Japanese Genre Oud Attars...

Check out Kyara by Di Ser. Luckyscent has a good description on their site. I tried it in person and it seemed like the real deal.

Link - https://www.luckyscent.com/product/7...yara-by-di-ser

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    Check out Kyara by Di Ser. Luckyscent has a good description on their site. I tried it in person and it seemed like the real deal.

Link - https://www.luckyscent.com/product/7...yara-by-di-ser
    Thanks for the suggestion and link. Di Ser's perfumes and especially Kyara look really interesting.
    (There are some really positive reviews of Di Ser's Kyara on YouTube.)
    I'll definitely get a sample of Kyara - though $1150 for a 33 mm bottle is a bit 'rich' for my blood!

Luckyscent also lists Nippon Kodo's Kyara Taikan incense on their website which is intriguing.

A little digging into the Nippon Kodo product line shows at least three versions of Kyara incense sticks available:
    1. Kyara Kongo - Gold Agarwood incense
    2. Kyara Taikan - Platinum Agarwood incense
    3. Kyara Momoyama - which appears to be the most expensive

So a big perfume and incense learning curve all around! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Fhaoilgeal View Post
    Hello.

I'm hoping to gain an insight and get suggestions into oud attars with compositions based on Japanese incense.

I've purchased a few perfumes lately from Rising Phoenix - and was especially happy with their Kyoto Gyoen Oud.

I've recently received an email from Agar Aura regarding their new releases and am drawn to their oud attar, Neriko, v.3, which is listed as in the Japanese genre.
    (I made a purchase from Agar Aura sometime back of their oud attar, Oud Lubani, which I treasure as a frankincense centric attar.)

Has anyone tried Agar Aura's Japanese based oud attars?

I would also be grateful for any suggestions of other houses that have similar Japanese incense related oud attars and perfumes!

Thanks!
    I just received Neriko v3 from Agar Aura. Very small batch release I think. It's a beautiful sandalwood blend with warm subtle spices. It plays sort of close to the skin as expected. I'm enjoying it and I'm glad to have it. I'm hoping Agar Aura will re-release some of their other attars and mukhallets in the months to come! Their products and service are second to none.

Basenotes Institution

What are the characteristics of a Japanese oud? I've never smelled any...
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by Jazznpool View Post
    I just received Neriko v3 from Agar Aura. Very small batch release I think. It's a beautiful sandalwood blend with warm subtle spices. It plays sort of close to the skin as expected. I'm enjoying it and I'm glad to have it. I'm hoping Agar Aura will re-release some of their other attars and mukhallets in the months to come! Their products and service are second to none.
    Thanks, Jazznpool! That's really helpful. I guess I'll go ahead and pop for a bottle of Neriko v.3 from Agar Aura.

It would indeed be great to see more attars being released by Agar Aura! As noted, their Oud Lubani was a big hit with me!

@mikeperez23 - Not sure there is any Japanese oud per se! Agar Aura uses 'wild Indo-Chinese oud' in its Neriko v.3 and Rising Phoenix Perfume's Kyoto Gyoen Oud Perfume uses Cambodi Oud. The Nippon Kodo Kyara Momoyama incense lists the 'aloeswood' as being from a 'rare Vietnamese wood' (their other Kyara incense sticks don't seem to list the source, unfortunately.)

Kyoto Gyoen Oud Perfume according to their Etsy website listing uses Osmanthus, Jasmine, Magnolia Lily, Pink Lotus, Hinoki, Pine, Sandalwood, Cambodi Oud, Patchouli, Anise, Cinnamon, Mandarin... and Neriko v.3 by Agar Aura describes the attar as featuring: "buttery smooth notes of Mysore sandalwood juxtaposed against the rugged oudiness of wild Indo-Chinese oud. Delectable heart notes of plums and apricots gives it an irresistible allure, and traditional spices both ground it and give it an uplifting quality."

I also look forward to sampling Di Ser's Kyara.

Luckyscent has a great description of the use of oud in Japanese kodo: "Japanese treatment of agarwood in perfumery is completely different from that of Middle-Eastern perfumery, so let’s take a minute to re-set expectations. Since the 6th century AD, the Japanese have used kyara agarwood in the Kodo ceremony (the way of incense), which is the art of “listening” to scent. Kyara is a very special type of agarwood. It refers to wood from extremely old, wild-grown agarwood trees in mostly Vietnam, now rare to the point of being extinct. The word “kyara” is a description of a scent profile, but also used in grading to mean the highest quality of agarwood." - Luckyscent

The description of Di Ser's Kyara continues apiece on Luckyscent and does make it sound amazing!

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the Perfume Guru's Di Ser Kyara Perfume review. Great review of a very intriguing perfume! :-)

Basenotes Institution

I see. So oud used in Japanese incense - they are recreating that smell. Gotcha.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle