Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
o

Default Re: For Beginners: Your Complete and Versatile EIGHT Bottle Wardrobe for $200 Or Less

Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    Preferring to ask forgiveness rather than permission, here is one possible list:

Beginner Wardrobe Women:

1. Elizabeth Taylor Gardenia—$14.48
    White Floral

2. Estée Lauder Pleasures—$26.45
    Green Floral

3. Tocade-$25.19
    Rose Vanilla

4. Dali Laguna-$19.52
    Salty Ambery Marine

5. Cheap & Chic I Love Love— $20.15
    Grapefruit Fizz

6. Gieffeffe by Gianfranco Ferre—$20.78
    Aromatic Office Friendly

7. Hanae by Hanae Mori-$18.89
    Fruitchouli

8. Shalimar— $30.29
    Oriental

TOTAL: $175.75
    Thank you, Kotori! You did a great job.
    I have sniffed only Laguna and Shalimar out of this list so far. They're good. (It is possible to find Laguna even cheaper than that in Europe, though I don't think I could find Shalimar for this price, it seems to go at least double of that everywhere I look...need to search better though :P <---- EDIT: I found it. Now I'm trying to google if that shop is a reliable source and trying to talk myself out of it at the same time. I am seeing several trips to the fragrance shop for some very serious Shalimar testing in my near future)

I'll definitely have to test Cheap & Chic I Love Love as soon as possible though. I've always ignored that cheesy bottle, but looking at the notes I suspect it could be something I would absolutely enjoy.
    Last edited by ClockworkAlice; 5th February 2019 at 07:34 PM.
    Currently wearing: Black by Bulgari

Default Re: For Beginners: Your Complete and Versatile EIGHT Bottle Wardrobe for $200 Or Less

Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkAlice View Post
    Thank you, Kotori! You did a great job.
    I have sniffed only Laguna and Shalimar out of this list so far. They're good. (It is possible to find Laguna even cheaper than that in Europe, though I don't think I could find Shalimar for this price, it seems to go at least double of that everywhere I look...need to search better though :P <---- EDIT: I found it. Now I'm trying to google if that shop is a reliable source and trying to talk myself out of it at the same time. I am seeing several trips to the fragrance shop for some very serious Shalimar testing in my near future)

I'll definitely have to test Cheap & Chic I Love Love as soon as possible though. I've always ignored that cheesy bottle, but looking at the notes I suspect it could be something I would absolutely enjoy.
    Thanks! Laguna is weird and great! I’ve been toying with adding it to my wardrobe. Cheap & Chic I Love Love I have gone through a couple of (or maybe a few) bottles of— I liken it to the Iso E Super and maybe Cetalox base of D&G Light Blue, but with a happy mandarin grapefruit fizz overtop instead of D&G’s laundry lemon.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

Thanks! Laguna is weird and great! I’ve been toying with adding it to my wardrobe. Cheap & Chic I Love Love I have gone through a couple of (or maybe a few) bottles of— I liken it to the Iso E Super and maybe Cetalox base of D&G Light Blue, but with a happy mandarin grapefruit fizz overtop instead of D&G’s laundry lemon.
    I actually went and tried I love love yesterday! The opening was really fun, oranges and grapefuits, but in a soft way, like in a fruit and yoghurt salad my mom used to make to get me to eat more fruit, ahh, it's been probably years since I ate that. The nostalgia! But after 20 minutes or so it turned into some kind of orange hand cream smell on me and I thought I don't want a fragrance that does just that when I can get just a nice smelling hand cream anyway. Should it be that way or is it my skin chemistry? But it was fun and lovely anyway, so I think I should retry this again when it's warmer outside, maybe it shines better on me then.
    I also have seen quite a lot of comparisons to Light Blue too, I kinda see where they're coming from, but to me they're different, I see Light Blue as more "fresh" and more "mature" and I don't get any orange there. On another note, I haven't tried Light Blue on myself as of yet, only smelled it on others and on a paper strip, so probably I just don't know it well enough.

And I just impulse bought a bottle of Laguna Maravilla because it was highly discounted (~10 € for 50 ml is a steal and as a beginner I still have lots of shelf space anyway ) and love the bottle anyway (it's very similar to Laguna to my nose, just it's a bit less salty and has more citrus instead of other fruit in the opening, and that's why I like it better, but I totally see why you included the normal Laguna, because these exact things make it more unique). It's not a scent I would wear often and I would have never bought it for a bigger price though, because sea and salt is not the smell I want to be smelling often, it really is an oddball of a freshie, but it is interesting. To everyone else - definitely try before buying, because it might be something you like, but might be something you find not pretty enough. I never tried neither Laguna nor Laguna Maravilla in summer though, I think it should shine in summer.

Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkAlice View Post
    I actually went and tried I love love yesterday! The opening was really fun, oranges and grapefuits, but in a soft way, like in a fruit and yoghurt salad my mom used to make to get me to eat more fruit, ahh, it's been probably years since I ate that. The nostalgia! But after 20 minutes or so it turned into some kind of orange hand cream smell on me and I thought I don't want a fragrance that does just that when I can get just a nice smelling hand cream anyway. Should it be that way or is it my skin chemistry? But it was fun and lovely anyway, so I think I should retry this again when it's warmer outside, maybe it shines better on me then.
    I also have seen quite a lot of comparisons to Light Blue too, I kinda see where they're coming from, but to me they're different, I see Light Blue as more "fresh" and more "mature" and I don't get any orange there. On another note, I haven't tried Light Blue on myself as of yet, only smelled it on others and on a paper strip, so probably I just don't know it well enough.

And I just impulse bought a bottle of Laguna Maravilla because it was highly discounted (~10 € for 50 ml is a steal and as a beginner I still have lots of shelf space anyway ) and love the bottle anyway (it's very similar to Laguna to my nose, just it's a bit less salty and has more citrus instead of other fruit in the opening, and that's why I like it better, but I totally see why you included the normal Laguna, because these exact things make it more unique). It's not a scent I would wear often and I would have never bought it for a bigger price though, because sea and salt is not the smell I want to be smelling often, it really is an oddball of a freshie, but it is interesting. To everyone else - definitely try before buying, because it might be something you like, but might be something you find not pretty enough. I never tried neither Laguna nor Laguna Maravilla in summer though, I think it should shine in summer.
    Great point about trying Laguna before buying if possible. For the purposes of this list, it was a solid ambery choice that could be found in the proper price range. Good ambery things are difficult to find cheaply. But when I smelled it, it reminded me of being on the beach at Coco Cay. I’d love to wear it on the beach.

I Love Love is a happy smell that really shines in the hottest heat. You really need to overapply it to get the base to last, but if you do, you are rewarded with something that stands up to 100 degrees Fahrenheit with a smile.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

But when I smelled it, it reminded me of being on the beach at Coco Cay. I’d love to wear it on the beach.
    Oh yes! If I'm going to the seaside in the summer, I'm taking this with me.

I Love Love is a happy smell that really shines in the hottest heat. You really need to overapply it to get the base to last, but if you do, you are rewarded with something that stands up to 100 degrees Fahrenheit with a smile.
    Thank you for the tip! I think I'll revisit it in June and spritz generously, and maybe I'll love love at the second sniff

Default Re: For Beginners: Men + Women: Your Complete and Versatile EIGHT Bottle Wardrobe for $200 Or Less

Wonderful concept and execution there BB, nicely done.

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Great. Before I read your post, I'm going make myself a cup of tea, so that I can read while sipping.
    What a great compliment, the best!

Great work, BuysBlind! We don't share all the top choices in the category, but this is to great help for beginners. Big thumbs up!
    Currently wearing: XJ 1861 Naxos by Xerjoff

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    Wonderful concept and execution there BB, nicely done.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by H_West View Post
    What a great compliment, the best!

Great work, BuysBlind! We don't share all the top choices in the category, but this is to great help for beginners. Big thumbs up!
    Thank you, I hope it’s helpful to some of our beginners out there.

Basenotes Plus

Preferring to ask forgiveness rather than permission, here is one possible list:

Beginner Wardrobe Women:

White Floral

Green Floral

3. Tocade-$25.19
    Rose Vanilla

8. Shalimar— $30.29
    Oriental

I need to try Gardenia. I own the other 3 - can totes recommend! I asked for Tocade for Christmas from hubby. He breathed a sigh of relief based on the price tag alone!
    Currently wearing: Fleurissimo by Creed

Default Re: For Beginners: Men + Women: Your Complete and Versatile EIGHT Bottle Wardrobe for $200 Or Less

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Welcome, beginners! This a fun and interesting hobby that you may have already found yourself becoming quickly and deeply immersed in.
    Great post!
    This is my Opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    Currently wearing: British Sterling by Dana

Hey guys when do I wear the gourmand and metro 2019 in place of the other scents

Quote Originally Posted by jhoskillz View Post
    Hey guys when do I wear the gourmand and metro 2019 in place of the other scents

Didn't I write back to you about this?

The "metro" stuff (lol) you can wear pretty much anywhere any time, especially work and going out for the night. The gourmand stuff is good for casual situations, date nights, and more intimate scenarios. I mean really you can wear anything at any time, but there are certain situations/times where these work best.

Thanks busyblind for taking the time to write this up, I think I wil try your first recommendation in a couple of categories first off then alternate with your other recommendations in the same category and work my way through that way hopefully I get to know what I like

Quote Originally Posted by Robotic View Post
    Thanks busyblind for taking the time to write this up, I think I wil try your first recommendation in a couple of categories first off then alternate with your other recommendations in the same category and work my way through that way hopefully I get to know what I like
    You're welcome.

I hope you find something you like!

Ok thanks. No, I never received a message back lol.

Basenotes Plus

I went looking for this post to link it into another. Congratulations BuysBlind on the Sticky!!
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    I went looking for this post to link it into another. Congratulations BuysBlind on the Sticky!!

Thanks!

Congrats on the pin BB and thanks to the mod who arranged it

Great guide here that can really help newcomers to the community as it covers every base within a budget and offers a nice overview.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    Congrats on the pin BB and thanks to the mod who arranged it

Great guide here that can really help newcomers to the community as it covers every base within a budget and offers a nice overview.
    Thanks for the idea, Palmolive.

Furrypine facilitated the "sticky," so a special thanks to her too!

YAAY! I'm so happy to see this get a sticky. I read through this thread when first posted and thought it was very, very well thought out and written. A true blessing that every beginner should peruse.

Chiming in to say that this is undoubtedly a great post, and one I would have sucked up if it had been written years ago when I started.

I'm going to agree with notspendingamillion though and say that every beginner male should probably get their nose on a "pure" vetiver like the Guerlain, since it's such a prevalent note in Men's fragrances, it's nice to be able to say "oh that's what that smell is!"

Blog Entries

Beginner Wardrobe Women:

White Floral

Green Floral

3. Tocade-$25.19
    Rose Vanilla

4. Dali Laguna-$19.52
    Salty Ambery Marine

5. Cheap & Chic I Love Love— $20.15
    Grapefruit Fizz

6. Gieffeffe by Gianfranco Ferre—$20.78
    Aromatic Office Friendly

7. Hanae by Hanae Mori-$18.89
    Fruitchouli

8. Shalimar— $30.29
    Oriental

This is a GREAT idea for a thread, and this list is so helpful as a beginner myself. I’d love to see more lists for women, but I’m definitely going to be trying a few of these soon. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Very thoughtful of you, Buysblind. But you forgot one more category: scents to wear when taking Grandma to fight nights.

Unfortunately many beginners are far more likely to post a new thread asking for recommendations than actually searching and reading these. I think this deserve to be stickied (and again totally ignored by beginners... ).
    I just dumped 500 CDN bux on recommendations here to start my desert empire. I did hire some arabian knights I met along the journey to do battle with the infidels.(i discovered that there are some cheaper and even better replacement imitations from the middle east. I don't know what Im talking about, but its exciting smelling from a distance. All blind buys.)

Now I have to marry off my daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemotorbike View Post
    I just dumped 500 CDN bux on recommendations here to start my desert empire. I did hire some arabian knights I met along the journey to do battle with the infidels.(i discovered that there are some cheaper and even better replacement imitations from the middle east. I don't know what Im talking about, but its exciting smelling from a distance. All blind buys.)

Now I have to marry off my daughter.

Are you serious about dropping 500 CDN on some of the recommendations in this thread?

That's really interesting. PLEASE come back with an update at some point discussing what you bought and how they're working out for you. That would be a great addition to this thread!

Good luck!

Based on recommendations from this thread specifically and this forum in general, I just made my first Fragrancenet purchase. Had to hit $100 to maximize my 20% off first order (max value $20) so that’s what I aimed for. Here’s my order

Ferre L’uomo
    Pasha de Cartier
    CK One Shock
    CK Obsession
    Mont Blanc Individuel

How’d I do?? Average cost will be well under $20 bucks per bottle (and the Shock is a 200ml!) Some of us Noobs ARE paying attention
    I’ve spent the last ~year sampling and buying higher end/niche fragrances, since I got bit by this bug. I’m now looking to fill in some designer holes in my wardrobe, and blind buying cheaper but generally universally loved frags that sound like they would appeal to my tastes as well. (Obsession is not a bind buy but the rest are) So anyhow, I really appreciate all the advice, looking forward to a very nice smelling box in the mail next week sometime!
    Currently wearing: Ombré Leather by Tom Ford

Nobody cares huh

Well I'm gonna update anyhow; I got everything today! and decided to give the Individuel a test, since I was unscented at the time the package showed up.

First Impression: JOOP?? Wow. This smells like "JOOP light" to me. Some raspberry and/or other fruits? some sandalwood, some flowery notes, some spices.... pretty nice. I actually might like this better that JOOP since it seems to sit a lot closer to the skin and doesnt bash anyone within 1 km of you in the face with its smell. Not bad for 15 bucks. Pretty nice presentation too.

2nd update: 1st wearing of Ferre's "L'uomo". This is very nice, feels clean, kind of powdery. I get lavender and vanilla mixed with a creamy, non-scratchy sandalwood and some cardamom and ginger spicing it all up. Really good performance so far, I've had it on for a couple hours now and my wife just came home and said "new cologne?" upon walking in the door. I'm not sure how often I will reach for this, as I have other choices that I would wear ahead of this in similar situations, but for under 20 bucks, its a great addition to my wardrobe even if worn infrequently. It does seem like this could be worn day or night pretty much any time of year however.

My only complaint is, its not in the BN database so I can't update my "currently wearing" to L'uomo

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    2nd update: 1st wearing of Ferre's "L'uomo". This is very nice, feels clean, kind of powdery. I get lavender and vanilla mixed with a creamy, non-scratchy sandalwood and some cardamom and ginger spicing it all up. Really good performance so far, I've had it on for a couple hours now and my wife just came home and said "new cologne?" upon walking in the door. I'm not sure how often I will reach for this, as I have other choices that I would wear ahead of this in similar situations, but for under 20 bucks, its a great addition to my wardrobe even if worn infrequently. It does seem like this could be worn day or night pretty much any time of year however.

My only complaint is, its not in the BN database so I can't update my "currently wearing" to L'uomo

I’m enjoying reading about your escapades Joe, Individuel is indeed pretty nice—a cleaner, fresher, and more appealing take on Joop! in a lot of ways. Enjoy....
    *My current wardrobe is up to date as of: 12/26/19*

Glad you're enjoying my experiences with your recommendations! They're proving to be excellent recommendations, and I'm grateful to you for providing them. So far it's a strong 2 for 2, blind buys!

I did not expect to like Individuel OR L'uomo as much as I do. Individuel in particular really surprised me. JOOP was my signature scent for ~2-3 years in college, so I obviously (was) a huge fan of that fragrance. But I was sick of it by this point. I had actually given it away to my nephew because I was done with it, just couldn't stand it anymore. Individuel is many of the things I loved about JOOP with none of the things that eventually drove me away from it! It is so much fresher and cleaner, and a ton more appealing to me. I really dig it.

I also really like L'uomo, and the more I wore it, the more I liked it. I wore it all day yesterday, and then after my post-workout shower, I reached for it again because I wanted more! I think I might actually reach for it more often than I initially thought. Its just a really well composed fragrance that, in my opinion, craps all over Invictus and Y! (two that you compared it to) for less money. I'm kind of shocked at how well made these two <$20 fragrances are!

I'm also pleasantly surprised at the presentation of both fragrances - the gradient blue L'uomo bottle is really sharp, and I LOVE the carbon fiber cap on it. Just such a nice looking presentation that rivals that of frags costing 10 times as much. (Admittedly, I'm a carbon fiber geek - carbon fiber is to sport bike guys as chrome is to Harley guys) The Individuel bottle is very nice also.

Well it wasnt recommended in this thread, but I've read about it repeatedly here, and I needed one more fragrance to hit the $100 mark to maximize my Fragrancenet coupon, so I blind bought Pasha de Cartier. Tried it for the first time the other day, and here to report; not a fan.

It instantly evoked memories of Drakkar Noir, which I left in my rearview mirror about 25 years ago. I guess it shouldn't be surprising, considering Pasha was introduced in 1992, but wearing it now - it feels almost exactly like the same outdated, aromatic woody/spicy scent as Drakkar. Minty oakmoss and lavender with some patchouli and sandalwood grounding it all... I WAS a fan of this style in the 1990s but it just smells really dated to me now. I get some similarities with RL Safari as well, which is another cologne I loved and wore all the time - in the 90s - but Safari also had a very nice leather note going along with the lavender/oakmoss/sandalwood/patchouli, which Pasha does not have at all. And again, I have not worn Safari in two decades. I suppose it was kind of nice taking a trip down memory lane to a genre of fragrance that really started my love of fragrances in general, but in 2019 I would not wear Drakkar and Pasha is not a love or a like for me, and it looks like I wasted 20 bucks on it, so theres your warning about blind buying fragrances. Fortunately it was not a lot of money wasted.