Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Just Starting Out Sponsor
    Banned

Default Re: For Beginners: Men + Women: Your Complete and Versatile EIGHT Bottle Wardrobe for $200 Or Less

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Individuel is many of the things I loved about JOOP with none of the things that eventually drove me away from it! It is so much fresher and cleaner, and a ton more appealing to me. I really dig it.

I also really like L'uomo, and the more I wore it, the more I liked it. I wore it all day yesterday, and then after my post-workout shower, I reached for it again because I wanted more! I think I might actually reach for it more often than I initially thought. Its just a really well composed fragrance that, in my opinion, craps all over Invictus and Y! (two that you compared it to) for less money. I'm kind of shocked at how well made these two <$20 fragrances are!

I'm also pleasantly surprised at the presentation of both fragrances - the gradient blue L'uomo bottle is really sharp, and I LOVE the carbon fiber cap on it.

That's great that you're really taking a liking to these two. I agree about Individuel--it's JOOP! minus all the annoying, bad stuff about it with the good stuff emphasized and some other nice improvements too. I'm always intrigued how it manages to smell sweet, but also very crisp and clean at the same time. It doesn't get sticky or cloying at all (as long as you don't overdo it). Its performance is also spectacular.

As far as L'Uomo's presentation, for a $25 fragrance, they did a fantastic job with it. It honestly looks as good or better than most of the upper level designers that sell for three times as much. And the fragrance itself is solid. It smells good; everything's in the right place and the notes are well done; the sandalwood in the base is exceptionally good for a fragrance of this ilk; and it projects well and lasts forever. It's like a shade removed from "beast mode,"

Well it wasnt recommended in this thread, but I've read about it repeatedly here, and I needed one more fragrance to hit the $100 mark to maximize my Fragrancenet coupon, so I blind bought Pasha de Cartier. Tried it for the first time the other day, and here to report; not a fan.

It instantly evoked memories of Drakkar Noir, which I left in my rearview mirror about 25 years ago. I guess it shouldn't be surprising, considering Pasha was introduced in 1992, but wearing it now - it feels almost exactly like the same outdated, aromatic woody/spicy scent as Drakkar. Minty oakmoss and lavender with some patchouli and sandalwood grounding it all... I WAS a fan of this style in the 1990s but it just smells really dated to me now. I get some similarities with RL Safari as well, which is another cologne I loved and wore all the time - in the 90s - but Safari also had a very nice leather note going along with the lavender/oakmoss/sandalwood/patchouli, which Pasha does not have at all. And again, I have not worn Safari in two decades. I suppose it was kind of nice taking a trip down memory lane to a genre of fragrance that really started my love of fragrances in general, but in 2019 I would not wear Drakkar and Pasha is not a love or a like for me, and it looks like I wasted 20 bucks on it, so theres your warning about blind buying fragrances. Fortunately it was not a lot of money wasted.
    I'm not a big fan of Pasha either. I enjoy the opening but the rest of it I don't care for so much. Pasha Edition Noire is pretty nice--a more updated version with a really nice beginning of fresh minty notes, but the base becomes pretty boring and generic. I enjoy it for about two hours while I wear it, and then it just kind of becomes alright. The same thing goes for Pasha Edition Noire Sport--it has a GREAT opening--a very fresh aquatic melon note that smells beautiful--but then it turns into a very generic woody aquatic smell that you've smelled a hundred times before. I actually bought this one on the spot in the mall for $90 when it first came out because I was impressed by the opening so much. But then after I had it on my skin for an hour I quickly realized I overpaid for it and shouldn't have bought it (especially at that price). However, at $35 I could see recommending it to someone looking for a good opening melon note who might not mind a pretty generic conclusion.

As you mentioned, regular Pasha definitely embodies that whole "woody spicy aromatic" style that was so popular in the 90's. I like that style in general, but agree that it smells kind of dated. Recently I blind bought a bottle of Emporio Armani Lui and while I like it, it immediately brought me back to the 90's and I felt a little dated. But one recent release that reflects that style but also kind of brings it up to date by employing some of the more trendy/popular aroma chemicals of today is Thierry Mugler Alien Man. If you're ever looking for something in that 90's vein that smells a bit more current, then Alien Man is a good place to look.

So are you considering anything else that was mentioned in this thread? Do you have any questions about anything?

Glad to hear you're enjoying L'Uomo and Individuel, and maybe saving a few bucks too. Cheers!

Default Re: For Beginners: Men + Women: Your Complete and Versatile EIGHT Bottle Wardrobe for $200 Or Less

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Recently I blind bought a bottle of Emporio Armani Lui and while I like it, it immediately brought me back to the 90's and I felt a little dated. But one recent release that reflects that style but also kind of brings it up to date by employing some of the more trendy/popular aroma chemicals of today is Thierry Mugler Alien Man. If you're ever looking for something in that 90's vein that smells a bit more current, then Alien Man is a good place to look.
    You know whats funny, Armani Lui was my signature scent for several years in the early 2000s. (Before I could afford to have a fragrance collection) I probably went through 3 or 4 bottles of that stuff. I have fond memories of it but have not smelled it in over a decade... No questions at the moment, I'm just enjoying my modest collection, and I have some January Scent Project samples coming, along with some Amouage samples I'm looking forward to trying. Planning on a Guerlain and Tauer sample set after that. Mugler Alien Man will be on my sampling radar now as well, so thanks for that!
    Currently wearing: Red Tobacco by Mancera

Can I reiterate how much I love this stuff?? I've already used half of the bottle that I bought 6 months ago. Buy this juice!
    ferreLuomo.jpg
    Currently wearing: Red Tobacco by Mancera

Banned

Can I reiterate how much I love this stuff?? I've already used half of the bottle that I bought 6 months ago. Buy this juice!
    ferreLuomo.jpg
    Hey Joe, that's great! I'm glad you like this one, it's definitely an under the radar release. I'm surprised it never caught on even a little because it seems to embody so much of what people enjoy these days but in a way that's very well done and classy. It's a nice modern scent with great performance and a unique composition.

Thanks for checking in!

Is this a good $200 wardrobe for beginners? The prices are from FragranceNet.

Bentley for Men Intense: $29/100ml

Burberry London: $32/100ml

Coach for Men: $34/100ml

Dolce & Gabbana The One EDP: $33/50ml

Guerlain L’Homme Ideal EDP: $39/50ml

Versace Man Eau Fraiche: $39/100ml

Total: $206

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ZhangFan View Post
    Is this a good $200 wardrobe for beginners? The prices are from FragranceNet.

Bentley for Men Intense: $29/100ml

Burberry London: $32/100ml

Coach for Men: $34/100ml

Dolce & Gabbana The One EDP: $33/50ml

Guerlain L’Homme Ideal EDP: $39/50ml

Versace Man Eau Fraiche: $39/100ml

Total: $206
    Mostly safe and boring, albeit not too unpleasant fragrances given that price point. The loudest and brashest is Bentley for Men Intense, and it's also the best on that list. I might keep D&G The One edp as well and ditch the others.

From Buysblind's list, some safe bets are

Mont Blanc Individuel
    Lalique Hommage a L'Homme
    Lalique Encre Noire Extreme/Noire
    (Oddly the Extreme version is the safer bet.)
    ck one shock for him

Bogart pour Homme
    Tabac Original

Franck Olivier Out Touch
    (safe beginner rose/oud)