Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: The Perfume Of Sex...ultimate taboo...the human body...?

Quote Originally Posted by SmellYouLater View Post
    While not exactly an S&M scent (unless you detest labdanum, like the perfumer) there IS Attaquer le Soleil Marquis de Sade, which labdanum fans will probably enjoy ��
    Touche!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I recall this older conversation on a similar topic by scentemental and others:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/274...cent-fragrance
    Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post
    It's good to see some mature, thoughtful, and informative posting. This subject tends to bring out reflex reactions in many people that don't necessarily make for particularly interesting or informative reading.

Here's a post of mine from a while back rewritten substantially. I would have simply linked to the original post after some brief introductory comments, but the sorry excuse for a search engine on this site makes it next to impossible to track anything down:

A key constituent of civet is indole, which, along with skatole, is a key aromatic component of human feces. At a certain dilution, indole is highly floral. In fact, indole is actually a key part of the aromatic profile of certain white flowers, jasmine and orange blossoms, to name just two. Civet was a key component of many white-floral accords in classic perfumes because it gave an added dimension, body, and extension to the floral notes of such accords. It literally fixed the floral notes. Civet is one of the great fixatives. Like oakmoss it imparts its own characteristic olfactory aura as it slows down the evaporative rate of the lighter more volatile components in the perfume, and, at the same time, like oakmoss, it leaves these lighter more volatile components essentially unaltered so that they predominate unmasked and unmodified. No synthetic fixative comes close to having this complex effect, and this effect is inseparable from the indolic component of civet.

The ambivalence we feel over the indolic and animalic notes in general is to a large extent caused by the tension these notes create in us as we try to process them olfactorily. Do I like this fecal/animalic smell? Yes I do, but, wait, maybe I don't, but then, again, yes, I do, and before you know it, this vacillation has actually kept one engaged at a very deep olfactory level as one wavers trying to make up one's mind about whether the note is attractive or disgusting. No other type of note creates this kind of ambivalence and tension. It is the tension that arises from this ambivalence that keeps one fascinated by indolic and animalic notes in fragrances. It's a "troubling" attraction. Great perfumers understood this on the most conscious of levels and on the most visceral of levels also. Indolic and animalic notes are also just as powerfully attractive when they exist at a liminal level, and they frequently do in many classic men's and women's fragrances. I have actually found that you can seriously ruin a fragrance for some people (usually men) when you point out the indolic, richly animalic, or even urinous notes to them in a fragrance they like.

Indolic, richly animalic, and even urinous notes when blended well, it should be observed, appeal, at a very deep level, to the primal recognition and attraction of bodily odors by which--in our not so distant past--we used as the main means of identifying and "knowing" our fellow creatures, much like dogs do when they sniff each other. Of course, these bodily odors were very closely tied to sexual attraction. The hippocampus, the smaller primal brain within the brain, is not only the primal seat of emotions, but it is in large part the place in the brain in which smells are processed and hence connected with emotions and with attraction. Smells, especially indolic and animalic smells, connect us to the primal sniffing self. You can't, for the most part, have a neutral reaction to indolic or animalic notes. Notice the responses in this thread. You either love such notes or you "hate" them. Culture, gender, and, of course, the vagaries of human individuality provide the differences by which we all process and react to indolic, urinous, animalic notes in general. (What follows is entirely speculative.) My suspicion, however, is that gender plays a larger role than we imagine. Men generally tend to prefer their animalic notes in the form of leather notes, a somewhat sublimated and bodily removed set of notes that tie them at a primal and cultural level to their hunter origins. Much of this explains, on one level, why there are such strong, diametrically opposed responses to such strongly animalic fragrances like *Kouros* and perhaps, also, why so many women tend to find Kouros an unproblematically attractive fragrance on a man. Of course, women's fragrances have, traditionally, tended to be about seduction and so, not surprisingly, indolic and urinous notes have featured prominently in such fragrances, but for men, I suspect that that attraction is most powerful when it’s liminal. On another very deep level, I suspect women are less troubled by indolic and urinous notes than men because of their experience of and closer proximity and exposure to bodily fluids as a result of the primary role they have historically taken in child rearing.

scentemental
    Currently wearing: Jolie by Cerchi nell'Acqua

There are so many fragrances with oudh, civet, castoreum, indolic flowers and so forth, that are quite popular. However I think I'm more a fan of the "salty skin" type smell (especially if combined with other things that are totally different) rather than a unidimensional animal leather or strong feline smell that hints towards urine. The best examples that I own of this "salty skin (but not only)"-smell are probably Une Fleur De Cassie and Dans Tes Bras, both from the house of Frederic Malle. You can smell them and not particularly notice anything intimate or odd about them, but you might also notice it quite a bit, and it's combined with very different things.

Ufdc smells very benign, bright, white, yellow, honey and floral, with apricot and something like a greenhouse note which has nothing to do with intimate parts of bodies, but it also has the "sweaty butt-cheeks" note gently blended in there (which I assume is from a bunch of musks and indolic parts of the florals like jasmine and cassie flower).
    Dans Tes Bras possibly smells like clean female genitalia (or if we want to be less vulgar we can say salty intimate skin...with some hint of sourness) but again it's not too obvious and a bunch of contradicting notes complement this. According to Maurice Roucel there's a ton of musks in DTB, and I assume he doesn't just mean Cashmeran®.

Right now I'm wearing Ambrarem by HdP and it does smell salty and a bit like a cat that hasn't washed for some time. I enjoy wearing it and it smells nice but in the long run it probably falls in the same vague category as something like Cuir D'Arabie by Montale - too unidimensional and I'm not sure I like the hint of urine (ambrarem) or fecal note (Arabie) that have no notes to hide behind.

I'd assume that people generally don't want to smell like massive, walking private parts, if it is even possible to recreate these smells very well. Such scents probably wouldn't be very versatile as not everybody is attracted to the intimate smells of strangers of either gender.

Imagine the threads. How many sprays of Penis No 1 can I wear to a job interview, guys?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    Mrs. D is very tolerant. My wife won't fight if I came home smelling like that. Best case scenario, she will kill me quickly
    OH trust me. A quick death would be the best I could hope for as well! She's nothing worry about with me. I'm scared...
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Basenotes Plus

just to try to bring this thread back to some reasonable discourse, as I said, white flowers are redolent of human sexuality to me, especially jasmine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    I'd assume that people generally don't want massive private parts?
    Well, no -- I wouldn't mind a little bigger though

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Come on now ...
    I see what you did there.
    Summer rotation : Guerlain Vetiver; Etro Palais Jamais and Shaal Nur; Penhaligon's Juniper Sling; Prada Infusion d'Iris EdP.
    Summer obsessions : Knize Knize Ten; Etro Gomma; Mona di Orio Cuir; Andy Tauer Lonestar Memories; Caron Yatagan

I have actively avoided these fragrances. Not what I am looking for when choosing a personal fragrance. I prefer to encounter those olfactory experiences organically.

Just came across the following article and found it rather interesting.
    https://www.cosmopolitan.com/sex-lov...me-experiment/

And for the record, I love animalic fragrances.
    "I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    just to try to bring this thread back to some reasonable discourse, as I said, white flowers are redolent of human sexuality to me, especially jasmine.
    that would be the indole. found in high concentrations in white flowers, particularly jasmine.

https://www.fragrantica.com/news/Mix...dole-5511.html

interestingly enough, you should not apply fragrance to the back of your neck or the lower part of your hair at the top of your neck, because the sweat generated there is high in indolic compounds and can severely alter (in a bad way) the smell of the fragrance.
    Currently wearing: Neroli by Roja Dove

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Well, no -- I wouldn't mind a little bigger though
    Augmentation?
    50 sprays a day keeps the doc away

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread
    Currently wearing: Castile by Penhaligon's

Quote Originally Posted by flyingbuddy View Post
    Wasn't that the intention with Black Orchid?
    ah yes, that was the specific one. but i honestly think it's part of the Tom Ford "DNA" across his fragrances.

Roja Dove's Musk Aoud is a very primal scent as well.
    Last edited by Finnster; 8th February 2019 at 04:58 PM.
    Currently wearing: Neroli by Roja Dove

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Finnster View Post
    that would be the indole. found in high concentrations in white flowers, particularly jasmine.

https://www.fragrantica.com/news/Mix...dole-5511.html

interestingly enough, you should not apply fragrance to the back of your neck or the lower part of your hair at the top of your neck, because the sweat generated there is high in indolic compounds and can severely alter (in a bad way) the smell of the fragrance.
    I didn't know that!

I apply fragrance to my shirt or clothing and not to my skin.

Indoles. Powerful stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnster View Post
    sometimes i give my meat and two bits a little hows your father with London or Noir de Noir and it works well.
    Don't forget to follow it up with a few sprays of Aventus to the forehead for good measure.
    Currently wearing: Deep Forest by Bogner

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by BoyChanel View Post
    With all due respect, that's a dumb rationale. Your answer reminds me of classic closeted dudes who over-rationalize the most benign topics but they don't realize they're only drawing more attention to what they're trying to cover up.
    That's exactly what I thought reading his reply as well lol. Sounds a bit contrived naivety to cover up some juvenile insecurity.
    Parfum de Marly Oajan

Quote Originally Posted by Heawns View Post
    I won't comment on the fragrances for now, but when it comes to this question of "they can show people getting shot in the head but not a penis shooting sperm on a woman's face" (talking about regular movies or something).

Well I think there are many more benefits of saying "I can kill" than "I just got jizzed on", basically. Killing people and violence is one of the most effective activities in human history, it solves all kinds of problems relating to survival and competition (can also cause some problems but leaving that aside). Shooting sperm on people, or shooting sperm on multiple people, and in particular their exterior skin, probably more rarely solves human survival and competitive problems.

I also think there's something about sex that doesn't require showing off the ability to engage in it as much. It's just such a strong drive that it can be taken for granted more easily, all people need to do to engage the sex drive is to look at someone's face for a split second. Whereas with violence showing that you are strong and capable of violence in more prolonged displays can negate the need to use actual violence, but with sex you have to do it to get a benefit through the evolutionary process.

That's just some early morning ramble
    This is a great post because it brings home the absurdity of this planet and the state of modern "civilization". Violence seen as nothing special and shown day and night on all the tv channels...and sex, (even nudity to a lesser extent) still very much a taboo subject.

Also the fact that adult posters here are unaquainted with the smell of what their own bodies produce.
    RARE PERFUME DECANTS - FACEBOOK (closed group) - Hundreds of ultra rare decants and 1 ml samples available, including Djedi/Nombre Noir/Original Patou Pour Homme/Basala etc...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    This is a great post because it brings home the absurdity of this planet and the state of modern "civilization". Violence seen as nothing special and shown day and night on all the tv channels...and sex, (even nudity to a lesser extent) still very much a taboo subject.

Also the fact that adult posters here are unaquainted with the smell of what their own bodies produce.
    Currently wearing: No. 5 by Chanel

With regards to violence being repeatedly shown to everyone I think that also probably has to do with violence being something that can or needs to be trained more (than sex) in order to be used to its full capacity. Whereas, again, I think sex is more basic at least in so far as deriving most evolutionary/survival/reproductive benefits from it.
    In other words people getting sperm on their face or body isn't a demonstration that will help humans survive, or someone deciding to be a full time nudist probably isn't something that increases their reproductive rate (even if it was considered culturally appropriate) because humans are already constantly horny and there's only so many babies a woman (or man) can produce, etc.

But I have little idea how what I'm saying relates to perfume, other than smelling like sperm probably isn't going to cause some crazy positive effects in someone's life.

Here's my naive post on this subject:
    I know what sperm, what clean and dirty humans smell like, having sex or not. SM comes VERY close to my SO in certain - freshly showered - moments. She's thinking the same btw.
    I liked SM pretty much, from the first day I tried it.
    Have to say, that I've been in the fragrance game for quite some time, by then, which means I had gathered some knowledge that others normally don't have (ACs, smelling and comparing around a lot, reading industry stuff etc). But I'm not sure if this even matters for my appreciation of this scent.
    After buying sample after sample of SM, I recently got myself a bottle. I don't think it's really wearable, but it is a wonderful item for communications. Letting (non fraghead) friends smell it without any context, they most times come around with associations like "pleasant", "alcohol", "subtle", "fresh", even "clean" and "boring" but also "old lady" (yawn!) and "wet dog". There have been three persons smelling SM who were reminded of their "woman's wet hair". So, until now, no vomiting, no disgust, no sperm, no hysteria.
    BUT when finally telling them the ELdO's brief, they ALL seem to get it, finally ... . Some of them were quite fascinated by this.
    I'm loving a bit of raunch in a perfume and I'm wearing whatever I like. I can do so at my workplace where there are quite a few perfume-loving co-workers. Most of them liked SM or were equal to it. The usual suspects like Kiehl's Musk, Kouros (vintage and current), Narciso EdP, MKK and Lui Mazzolari (or things like Aromatics Elixir) were discussed much more controversely ... ☺

Quote Originally Posted by Heawns View Post
    With regards to violence being repeatedly shown to everyone I think that also probably has to do with violence being something that can or needs to be trained more (than sex) in order to be used to its full capacity. Whereas, again, I think sex is more basic at least in so far as deriving most evolutionary/survival/reproductive benefits from it.
    In other words people getting sperm on their face or body isn't a demonstration that will help humans survive, or someone deciding to be a full time nudist probably isn't something that increases their reproductive rate (even if it was considered culturally appropriate) because humans are already constantly horny and there's only so many babies a woman (or man) can produce, etc.

But I have little idea how what I'm saying relates to perfume, other than smelling like sperm probably isn't going to cause some crazy positive effects in someone's life.
    What I'm trying to get at is the fact that humans must be the only mammals who have such an olfactory negativity with themselves and their fellows. In recent threads I noticed so many negative connotations regarding perfumes that hinted of anything relating to the human body, (with the exception of oud/ the 'fecal' note) which still seems to be in vogue.
    RARE PERFUME DECANTS - FACEBOOK (closed group) - Hundreds of ultra rare decants and 1 ml samples available, including Djedi/Nombre Noir/Original Patou Pour Homme/Basala etc...

I have not yet got my nose on SM, but based on what I have read, I am just curious to know if it really does smell like it's stated objective. Honestly, if they really did nail that smell, then "props" to them. Even if I smell it and dislike it for whatever reason, I still respect the idea of just straight up going for something so left field, and attaining the goal.

That post of scentemental is one of the best ever written on this forum and fully captures why I am so drawn to animalics. It's the ambivalence that keeps me hooked.

For me, animalics are not about sex. They are about human warmth and comfort. Feeling of being safe in a human cocoon. Safe from violent nature and these days also from violent detergent and chemical smells.

This is hard to explain. But I feel most safe and at home inside the walls of an old city. Marketplaces full of life, buildings which have witnessed the lives of thirty generations. Vast expanses of nature can cause a mild nausea in me and weakens my belief in importance of our tiny human matters. Some might like this feeling, I don't. So, surprisingly, my deeply held love for Naples and Rome derives from the same source as my love for vintage Eau d'Hermes.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Sex should smell like perfume - not the other way around.

Just my opinion.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Wanted by Night by Azzaro

I always thought SM was an intentional joke on the "aquatic" genre, pointing out that the same aromachemicals people associate with the sea when told to do so can have a rather different interpretation.

sorry , double post.
    Currently wearing: Good Life by Davidoff

What I'm trying to get at is the fact that humans must be the only mammals who have such an olfactory negativity with themselves and their fellows. In recent threads I noticed so many negative connotations regarding perfumes that hinted of anything relating to the human body, (with the exception of oud/ the 'fecal' note) which still seems to be in vogue.
    animals use odours as a language , so the odourless animals would not communicate with each others , so odour here is thier tongue , god created humans being for a much higher place than that.
    Currently wearing: Good Life by Davidoff

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by moharram View Post
    god created humans being for a much higher place than that.
    Currently wearing: No. 5 by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by moharram View Post
    animals use odours as a language , so the odourless animals would not communicate with each others , so odour here is thier tongue , god created humans being for a much higher place than that.
    I find this these remarks very offensive. As always with certain religions they assume that "god" created humans to be of higher importance than animals. I peronally do not believe this. I also regard atheists as on the same level as believers.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow View Post
    That post of scentemental is one of the best ever written on this forum and fully captures why I am so drawn to animalics. It's the ambivalence that keeps me hooked.

For me, animalics are not about sex. They are about human warmth and comfort. Feeling of being safe in a human cocoon. Safe from violent nature and these days also from violent detergent and chemical smells.

This is hard to explain. But I feel most safe and at home inside the walls of an old city. Marketplaces full of life, buildings which have witnessed the lives of thirty generations. Vast expanses of nature can cause a mild nausea in me and weakens my belief in importance of our tiny human matters. Some might like this feeling, I don't. So, surprisingly, my deeply held love for Naples and Rome derives from the same source as my love for vintage Eau d'Hermes.
    Thank you for sharing this perspective in conjunction with this thread. Definitely brings something to the thread.

Personally, my travels are quite limited to far off places. I could only wish one day. However, I do see a lot of where you are coming from and feel the same as well in many instances
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Pomegranate Noir, Midnight in Paris EDP, Feeling Man, Essence of John Galliano, Azzaro pour Homme (vintage),...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Aramis Calligraphy Rose, Penhaligon's Esprit de Roi, PdE Ambre Russe, Jil Sander Feeling Man ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !