Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 45 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
o
    Community Manager

Default The official Jeremy Fragrance fragrance thread

It's disheartening to see that all previous threads about Jeremy Fragrance went off the rails and had to be closed. But he is an interesting phenomenon worth discussing, so we try again in this, the OFFICIAL Jeremy Fragrance fragrance thread.

What have we covered thoroughly in the other threads? Let summarize: He is a douche, a sex pest, a fraud, mentally ill, and you despise him. Now, can we move on? As an "internet famous" person I see no problem snarking on him but it all too easily tips over into outright slander.

If all you have to contribute is "I hate him" your comment will be deleted and you end up on the watch list of the moderators, and before you know it you have been banned from the site. There is a lot to be said about Jeremy as a marketer, Youtuber and product developer, and the other threads had many thoughtful posts covering those areas, and that's what I want to see a continuation of here.

Here is the directory entry by the way: http://www.basenotes.net/ID26157725.html
    No baiting/trolling. No insults. No politics. Read the Code of Conduct.

Default Re: The official Jeremy Fragrance fragrance thread

Good plan!

Basenotes Plus

I will happily read what others think about the fragrance.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Ok to be honest he seems to be a total narcissist.
    What is stunning is that he has made a TON of money through a YouTube channel..and all he does is talk about fragrances. Some poor guy gave him 800 dollars and didn't even receive a "thank you". Why in the hell would someone give a total stranger 800 dollars!!!????
    Because he looks good in a tailored suit??
    Because he owns a Ferrari???
    Yes..unfortunately.
    He is a great businessman that's for sure.
    He has people thinking that they are part of his "army".
    Apparently he is suing this guy on YouTube with the name "fragrance bros" for defamation.
    It's entertaining stuff..he's received threatening emails among other things.
    He raised 750 thousand through Kickstarter for his magic juice but how much of that did he pocket?
    I would have kept half and used the rest for the fragrance and I'm sure that's what he did as well.
    I find the insanity of all this entertaining I mean fake crying on YouTube to appear truly genuine??
    It's amazing how he influences young men and makes them want to be like him.
    Hot women and fast cars and expensive suits have NOTHING to do with fragrances..not in my world anyway.
    He is a poser but incredibly smart businesswise

All pretty negative on Reddit

• Daniel Schütz and his alter ego in constant flux between wanting to be rich and famous and scamming his toxic audience for every last penny they have and being ultra-sensitive. i'll say this: you don't just release a fragrance to the public, there is a reason why almost exclusively mega companies can afford to. not even the greatest designers expect you to buy shit before anyone smells it, he knows his fragrances are going to be terrible and he'll only be able to capitalize on pre-orders. his claim to be 'independent' and never have taken money from the industry is verifiably false. his apology wasn't an apology and his 'brand' is going to shit before it even got popular because his awful personality didn't allow for him to admit mistakes or an embarrassing past 'small town nobody from germany' or pseudo-pop-star from cologne for others

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    I will happily read what others think about the fragrance.
    Likewise.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Well you never know it might actually be a nice fragrance

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    Good plan!
    Lol
    Currently wearing: Havana by Aramis

User of Toilet Water

Quote Originally Posted by furrypine View Post
    Here is the directory entry by the way: http://www.basenotes.net/ID26157725.html
    And there's already a review? How did that get approved? What is this, Fragrantica?

Ambrox and Iris in the top notes ?

'Intense Modern Woods'

Wtf?

In one of the videos posted here he claimed, and let's assume that these were true statements and not just something he said after having posted an unpopular video that seems to have made him look a bit greedy even to his fragrance army, that he plans to release an über cheap perfume line of good quality and that one of his dreams is to plant 1000(? can't remember) trees. The latter could be proof that he is still in touch with his healthy, eco, pagan European roots.

I don't begrudge him a penny that he makes from his endeavor, but for sometime now I've been concerned about his stability. He appears to be a hard working young man with a very unhealthy obsession. I can't in good conscience contribute to his self destruction.

a quarter million, tops

Somebody cue up RyanToThe!!

jeremy-fragrance-6.jpg
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Basenotes Plus

Fancy that. An official thread to discuss a fragrance that’s not even in existence? I guess even the great Basenotes is not immune to Jeremy’s influence, huh?? Smells like a ploy to get more eyeballs from his Frag Army.

I’m disappointed to say the least.

When is he releasing his product?

I'm legitimately interested in seeing the reviews, once Office is out in the wild. I imagine a good amount of the you tube fragrance community will have videos about it.

Yes, I'm aware of Jeremy's reputation, but Alberto Morallis has made some classic fragrances. Morallis' work on Office is separate from JF and his image IMO.

I think the fragrance should be judged on its own merit, disregarding JF being the brand it's going to be released under.

I'm quite aware that notion is a fantasy, however. The loyal Army followers will praise it while the haters will trash it...neither side being objective. In some cases, I'd imagine, without even testing the fragrance prior to "reviewing" it.

I wish him the best. There's a good guy in there.
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

Dependent

As we've all been made painfully aware of recently, there will always be questionable specimens of humanity out there, which is probably nothing we should be surprised about. Because of the inherent nature of their personalities, these folks really can't help being who they are, so while they may rub us the wrong way, they are simply being themselves, and we can't really blame them for that.

The main problem I see with the Jeremy situation, is that his approach to his fragrance pretty much embodies everything that folks in the hobby currently would wish to ignore. Generally we have to wait for a vaguely respectful amount of time before fragrance houses begin shamelessly raising their prices. Not with Jeremy - He's way out in front of most houses, and has tripled the cost of his frag before it's even come on the market.

Frequently new houses will prattle on about "precious ingredients" as an apparent rational for their overblown prices. Jeremy doesn't make the slightest pretense of bothering with that; he goes out of his way to make sure people understand that his price is triple what he's already admitted he could make a good profit at "just because." In fact, Jeremy smilingly makes sure to assure us that (as apparently is the case with all "art") simply by tripling the price, he's tripled the quality of his product as well.

Folks in this hobby already contort our thinking enough as it is, in order to rationalize the sorts of overblown prices we sometimes find ourselves paying. And here we have this openly creepy fellow blatantly serving as a characterization of just how much BS we often pay for the privilege of swallowing when we find ourselves doing that.

While he may be an obnoxious figure personally, it's also the fact that knowingly or not, he goes out of his way to shamelessly rub our nose in everything that we take pains to ignore about the fragrance game that I believe makes both him and his sure-to-be-safe "office frag" so irritatingly unsettling.
    Currently wearing: Daim Blond by Serge Lutens

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Fancy that. An official thread to discuss a fragrance that’s not even in existence? I guess even the great Basenotes is not immune to Jeremy’s influence, huh?? Smells like a ploy to get more eyeballs from his Frag Army.

agree with this

unless this post is being used as a catchall to prevent other threads about Jeremy Fragrance from being made - aka quarantine

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hound View Post
    And there's already a review? How did that get approved? What is this, Fragrantica?
    My thoughts exactly! Should not be allowed and one of the main reasons why BN reviews are the best/most useful.
    Currently wearing: Wanted by Night by Azzaro

Agreed, can we please not go down this route.
    Currently wearing: Brut by Fabergé

Community Manager

Hm yeah, not sure how that slipped through.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post

This. Bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by painted_klown View Post
    I'm legitimately interested in seeing the reviews, once Office is out in the wild.
    It has been released to a few people? Did not know this.
    Hi, I'm William | My Swap Thread | My Sales Thread

Community Manager

Here we go, a post had to be deleted and the member was banned. Guys, I am deadly serious, I will not tolerate any slander or you are off the site.

Quote Originally Posted by furrypine View Post
    It's disheartening to see that all previous threads about Jeremy Fragrance went off the rails and had to be closed. But he is an interesting phenomenon worth discussing, so we try again in this, the OFFICIAL Jeremy Fragrance fragrance thread.

What have we covered thoroughly in the other threads? Let summarize: He is a douche, a sex pest, a fraud, mentally ill, and you despise him. Now, can we move on? As an "internet famous" person I see no problem snarking on him but it all too easily tips over into outright slander.

If all you have to contribute is "I hate him" your comment will be deleted and you end up on the watch list of the moderators, and before you know it you have been banned from the site. There is a lot to be said about Jeremy as a marketer, Youtuber and product developer, and the other threads had many thoughtful posts covering those areas, and that's what I want to see a continuation of here.

Could you please explain a little more what is acceptable and what isn't in this thread ?
    I've already had a post removed and can't for the life of me see any difference between that and some of the posts that are still up.
    If the word "narcissist" is banned ( though there is still a post up using that word) or any word alluding to a mental / emotional condition could you please clarify before people find themselves banned.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    It has been released to a few people? Did not know this.
    If it has, I'm not aware. As far as I know, it won't be available until April.

Meh...I wish we would just stop talking about him all together. If this quarantines the conversation about him on the site, I suppose it's worth having this.

Community Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Democritus View Post
    Could you please explain a little more what is acceptable and what isn't in this thread ?
    I've already had a post removed and can't for the life of me see any difference between that and some of the posts that are still up.
    If the word "narcissist" is banned ( though there is still a post up using that word) or any word alluding to a mental / emotional condition could you please clarify before people find themselves banned.
    Thank you.
    We can have that conversation when you come back, if you want to. For the rest of you, why not err on the side of caution and not discuss Jeremy's mental health.

Banned

I think you moderators should keep a watch on people feverishly tapping that report button out of spite or malice because it's obvious that it's being done to specific users. People also shouldn't be reprimanded for using innocent sarcasm or showing a sense of harmless personality which this site is sorely lacking. Things that would enliven a place seem to be heavily suppressed and it's bizarre to say the least.
    Currently wearing: No. 5 by Chanel

Page 1 of 45 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast