Code of Conduct

Default What Is That I Keep Smelling?

There's a note that keeps coming up in perfume after perfume and I don't like it at all. It's tenacious and strong. It sits at the base of Carolina Herrera's Good Girl, I just discovered. I had to wash it off, and even with Dawn liquid soap, and it's not gone. It's something like Maltol, maybe? I find it in newer, sweet or gourmand perfumes. I've never noticed it in older perfumes. It makes me feel nauseous. Does anyone know what I'm referring to?
    Last edited by glasllyn; 8th February 2019 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Typo

Default Re: What Is That I Keep Smelling?

It’s really hard to say which one it is at this point... not many fragrances in the database actually list ’maltol’. I found 12 that list it. You might look at those, and see if any of them are ones you have problems with. You can search by note in the advanced search. It’s said to have the aroma of caramel and cotton candy, so it definitely is in the gourmand realm.

I’m having the same problem with fragrances which have dark berry or dark fruit notes. That’s a little different than the one you’re running into. But like you, I can tell when a fragrance has it by my reaction. With the dark fruit, it’s a strong, acidic, burnt sugar note that overtakes the entire fragrance and renders it vile. I haven’t found out which aroma-chemical note it is yet, and fragrances still rarely list notes like’maltol’, etc. I’m careful with fragrances with dark fruit notes.
    Good luck with your search.

Basenotes Junkie

Not sure. Could be sweet almond. Could be tonka bean. Could be the "chocolate" note. Could be the coffee note. (I just realized that one is partly a coffee scent too!) Could be pralines. I also wonder if you might dislike amber as a note in perfume? CH "Good Girl" actually has amber in the base, and I find that some amber scents can kind of smell like they have this cloying kind of sweetness? Mind you..that might be because they're often combined with other sweet notes. :/

Quote Originally Posted by flathorn View Post
    Itís really hard to say which one it is at this point... not many fragrances in the database actually list ímaltolí. I found 12 that list it. You might look at those, and see if any of them are ones you have problems with. You can search by note in the advanced search. Itís said to have the aroma of caramel and cotton candy, so it definitely is in the gourmand realm.

Iím having the same problem with fragrances which have dark berry or dark fruit notes. Thatís a little different than the one youíre running into. But like you, I can tell when a fragrance has it by my reaction. With the dark fruit, itís a strong, acidic, burnt sugar note that overtakes the entire fragrance and renders it vile. I havenít found out which aroma-chemical note it is yet, and fragrances still rarely list notes likeímaltolí, etc. Iím careful with fragrances with dark fruit notes.
    Good luck with your search.
    Maltol. That's probably it! Good Girl is one of them I hadn't listed. I can't tolerate it. I have some maltol I bought to make some perfumes and I didn't like it at all. I think you're right. Thank you! I'm not crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by glasllyn View Post
    There's a note that keeps coming up in perfume after perfume and I don't like it at all. It's tenacious and strong. It sits at the base of Carolina Herrera's Good Girl, I just discovered. I had to wash it off, and even with Dawn liquid soap, and it's not gone. It's something like Maltol, maybe? I find it in newer, sweet or gourmand perfumes. I've never noticed it in older perfumes. It makes me feel nauseous. Does anyone know what I'm referring to?
    That's exactly what I'm talking about! I can't stand Good Girl at all. It's funny that you metioned Dawn, because that's precisely what I did as soon as it touched my skin- tried to wash it off with little luck. I think you and flathorn are correct in thinking it's maltol. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by LadyDragonFire View Post
    Not sure. Could be sweet almond. Could be tonka bean. Could be the "chocolate" note. Could be the coffee note. (I just realized that one is partly a coffee scent too!) Could be pralines. I also wonder if you might dislike amber as a note in perfume? CH "Good Girl" actually has amber in the base, and I find that some amber scents can kind of smell like they have this cloying kind of sweetness? Mind you..that might be because they're often combined with other sweet notes. :/
    The praline is exactly where the chemical lives. It's such a shame that it's taking over where other, better ingredients once created the same effect.