Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Basenotes is the no1 Perfume Community !!!...which is your second favourite ?

I'm sure most basenoters are loyal fans, but we all hangout sometimes on the 'other' communities.
    Which is your second favourite fragrance website and why ?

Is it fragrantica/ parfumo/ makeup alley...or something else ?
    RARE PERFUME DECANTS - FACEBOOK (closed group) - Hundreds of ultra rare decants and 1 ml samples available, including Djedi/Nombre Noir/Original Patou Pour Homme/Basala etc...

Default Re: Basenotes is the no1 Perfume Community !!!...which is your second favourite ?

Fragrantica....which I only use for research and reviews on fragrances.
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Rogue Perfumery
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Basenotes is the no1 Perfume Community !!!...which is your second favourite ?

I've moseyed around Fragrantica and checked out a few Facebook groups but it's nowhere near the same. Basenotes feels like home.
    Non-IFRA-Compliant Fragrance Art: https://www.etsy.com/shop/RoguePerfumery
    New Tuberose Fragrance! Read about it here:
    https://rogueperfumery.com

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
    I've moseyed around Fragrantica and checked out a few Facebook groups but it's nowhere near the same. Basenotes feels like home.
    yes, same here. Fragrantica for research. Basenotes for community.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    +1 fragrantica = info
    Basenotes = community
    Never ever use other forum.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Fragrantica only for New Releases - nothing else.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Super Member the blood on 530 27's Avatar

there are other perfume community???
    The French have a phrase for it. The bastards have a phrase for everything.

Fragrantica for articles and research. Basenotes for the amazing community.

Basenotes Plus

Exactly.

Missing Oakmoss

Fragrantica for research. Basenotes for community.
    ^ ^
    This, absolutely.

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyboi View Post
    Fragrantica for articles and research. Basenotes for the amazing community.
    This
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Iris Ganache by Guerlain

Fragrantica for reviews, sometimes Basenotes has no reviews for certain fragrances. Not a fan of their forum.

I belong to two private Facebook UK groups who are more about swapping and selling decants or partly used bottles.
    Because of postal restrictions, it is easier to do within the UK that chance the rest of the world.
    DONNA

Blog Entries

l look at Fragrantica sometimes if l can't find certain fragrances or reviews on basenotes, but basenotes is home for me where this interest is concerned.

Are we talking about blogs as well? l regularly check out Now Smell This, Perfume Posse & Bois de Jasmin, but the only one l've ever added a comment on is Bonkers About Perfume.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Both equal for me, i use them hand in hand.

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    l look at Fragrantica sometimes if l can't find certain fragrances or reviews on basenotes, but basenotes is home for me where this interest is concerned.
    This.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Personally preferring as the second best not Fragrantica but Parfumo.net- not due to having anything against Fragrantica, which is fine in its own right, but due to simply enjoying the more extensive variety of concise yet informative info about discontinued, obscure, vintage and/or limited availability fragrances found on Profumo.

This being said, tending to regard all three online communities (BN, Fragrantica and Parfumo), with occasional info, trivia, interactions on sites specialized not exclusively on fragrances but still having a vast subsection dedicated to fragrance (like Manufactum, Badger&Blade and many more) as complementary sources of perfume knowledge, where each complete each other and bring exactly that part of data but also that insight, perspective, coverage of this data that may be missing or at least underused, underexposed on the other.

I enjoy Fragrantica AND Basenotes equally. I read reviews on both, and I must say there is a nice community on Fragrantica too. I just participated in a blind sampling pass beautifully organized by ChickenPotPie and exchanged vintage samples with TrixieGrace, who offered some vintage Ambush to me unprompted, so I could confirm the identity of a bottle I have that has lost its label. I always enjoy discussing vintages on the Vintage Forum with LittleBunnyFouFou, Alex1984, SuzanneS, Tale of the Rose, and many others. Community is in such short supply these days so I welcome it wherever I find it.

I read the Makeup, Skincare, and Fragrance boards on MakeupAlley, but I post only very rarely there. I look up product reviews, but only rarely read the fragrance reviews. I've learned a lot about skincare from that crew.

Facebook...no.
    Currently wearing: 20 Carats by Dana

I'm a one forum man, you harlots!

Basenotes Plus
    Sitting by the sea chatting with Thucydides

Actually like aspects of Fragnantica. The notes people detect and the reviews. Also can go for example straight to niche/indie and see a thread on the best niche rose scents for example and they have a skin care and health section ( make up alley just sends me nuts these days as they are very behind with a lot of brands ) The wardrobe feature at Fragnantica is impossible for me ....as I’m trying to work out how I go through so much perfume. As I spray cothes linens and sometimes just the room ( liturgies des heures looking at you ) and that shelf thing I don’t have a clue about.

Also they don’t actually allow full bottle buying and I don’t buy decants. So no idea what that is about.

The site I love is The Perfume Shrine ......l think Elena is bang on with her reviews and the vast amount of information she puts up is remarkable. Her knowledge of history and culture and how they transcend to perfume is incredibke. For ethical reasons I won’t do Facebook so I miss out there. Loved the way she photographed her Serge Lutens collection as she doesn’t have OCD like me, and did managed to photograph the limited edition of fille de Berlin better than I ever could. She is not a lover of roses yet I managed to get more information about rose perfumes there than anywhere else. The way she takes a subject, such as scent and spirituality, is just so wonderful to read.

Started at basenotes and I think I’m a loyal person and although many of the friends I made here have left, I have stayed in contact with them. So this is basically home, but I won’t detract from what I think are other very good sites. Zoran runs a good site ( which has a more international feel ) and Elena’s blog is the best out there for me.

So until I’m banned for accidentally posting something political or people get too rude because I like the perfumes of Louis Vuitton this is home for me.
    Last edited by Sea Roses; 10th February 2019 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Detest auto correct especially when you’re in a rush
    ‘You’ll never find peace of mind until you listen to your heart’. George Michael
    Currently wearing: Pulp by Byredo

Basenotes Plus

Fragrantica has a bigger directory. I'm a member of Parfumo. New though - haven't explored it much yet. I prefer being here.

Basenotes Plus

Are we talking about blogs as well? l regularly check out Now Smell This, Perfume Posse & Bois de Jasmin, but the only one l've ever added a comment on is Bonkers About Perfume.
    Same.

There are so many good ones out there, but I'm too goddamned lazy to join and add yet another 'community' to my list.

The ones mentioned are all good, written by enthusiasts who know what they're talking about, and aren't shilling or jaded like so many others. Here's a few more.

Colognoisseur

The Non-Blonde

Persolaise

Taking One Thing Off by Basenotes' Claire Vukcevic
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Wearing Perfume Right Now

I don't follow any other perfume-related sites.

My next stop after Basenotes is Guardian.co.uk/football.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post

My next stop after Basenotes is Guardian.co.uk/football.
    That's so funny. My next stop after Basenotes is Guardian.com/food.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    That's so funny. My next stop after Basenotes is Guardian.com/food.
    Solidarity! They do good work.

I can’t stomach the Fragrantica user experience and design. So Basenotes is it for me. However I am intrigued by this Parfumo, I might check it out now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com
    Currently wearing: Brosse by Slumberhouse

Thanks for your views/posts.
    I've been on basenotes, posting for many years as you can see. But like others do, I use fragrantica for the reviews. I wish it was possible to write instant reviews on basenotes like you can do on fragrantica. I think that is why there are so many more reviews there. I have written reviews for perfumes here on basenotes where they have to be vetted and some have never been added, so in the end I gave up. Also, (and this could be part of the problem) I have found, (in the past) moderators who have become personal towards me with bullying tactics which were uncomfortable. Perhaps that was the reason they did not add my reviews.
    I do like the graph system on fragrantica where you can see how members rate the dominance of notes in a fragrance.
    I use parfumo occasionally because they list very obscure fragrances that the other websites do not have on their directories.
    RARE PERFUME DECANTS - FACEBOOK (closed group) - Hundreds of ultra rare decants and 1 ml samples available, including Djedi/Nombre Noir/Original Patou Pour Homme/Basala etc...

Blog Entries

Sea Roses, l have great respect for Elena too, but unfortunately her posts have become rather sparse of late.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Thanks for your views/posts.
    I've been on basenotes, posting for many years as you can see. But like others do, I use fragrantica for the reviews. I wish it was possible to write instant reviews on basenotes like you can do on fragrantica. I think that is why there are so many more reviews there. I have written reviews for perfumes here on basenotes where they have to be vetted and some have never been added, so in the end I gave up. Also, (and this could be part of the problem) I have found, (in the past) moderators who have become personal towards me with bullying tactics which were uncomfortable. Perhaps that was the reason they did not add my reviews.
    I do like the graph system on fragrantica where you can see how members rate the dominance of notes in a fragrance.
    I use parfumo occasionally because they list very obscure fragrances that the other websites do not have on their directories.
    David what name do you use elsewhere to write reviews?
    When new here I didn’t know you had to submit reviews. As I loved Mandarine Mandarin by Serge Lutens, as it took me back to Chengdu when I was 17 I just wrote a post about it stating something like the perfume had been captured beautifully the essence of what you smell in eastern China with cooked mandarin peelings and incense. Someone came along and basically said it was a crap perfume so after that I never bothered.
    ‘You’ll never find peace of mind until you listen to your heart’. George Michael

Basenotes Plus

Sea Roses, l have great respect for Elena too, but unfortunately her posts have become rather sparse of late.
    Hi gorgeous

Yes I find it a bit depressing as well. As Chandler Blurr said her knowledge is jaw dropping. As a fellow historian ( but not perfume expert fine arts expert, editor, archaeologist musician ..well I play the piano ) her sections/essays on the sacred and profane to the arts and culture relating to perfume were to me and I’m sure others just enticing.

As I understand she is editing a lot and lecturing combined with her other activities.

Her very kind and considered responses to people showed a woman very humble despite her wealth of knowledge on almost anything.

Hugs

sea roses

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    I enjoy Fragrantica AND Basenotes equally. I read reviews on both, and I must say there is a nice community on Fragrantica too. I just participated in a blind sampling pass beautifully organized by ChickenPotPie and exchanged vintage samples with TrixieGrace, who offered some vintage Ambush to me unprompted, so I could confirm the identity of a bottle I have that has lost its label. I always enjoy discussing vintages on the Vintage Forum with LittleBunnyFouFou, Alex1984, SuzanneS, Tale of the Rose, and many others. Community is in such short supply these days so I welcome it wherever I find it.
    Are some of these active users from Fragrantica on BN as well?
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Iris Ganache by Guerlain