Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1

    Default How Similar Are Versace Man Purple And Versace Pour Homme Oud Noir?

    Greetings,

    One of my favorite colognes is Versace Man (purple) - which is a tobacco cologne. I have many seen people say that Versace Pour Homme Oud Noir is essentially Versace Man with oud.

    How similar are they really since they have much different notes and Versace Noir doesn't even have a tobacco note like Versace Man does?

    I would appreciate any feedback from people who are very familiar with both.

    Thanks!

  2. #2

    Default Re: How Similar Are Versace Man Purple And Versace Pour Homme Oud Noir?

    They are not very similar as far as I can remember. I owned both--Versace Man for a while and Oud Noir only briefly. Versace Man is a very heady, swirling tobacco with a hefty dose of dark, aromatic "purple" saffron. It's opulent and somewhat powdery in a thick, cloudy way. Its smell very much resembles its box and bottle, if that makes any sense.

    Oud Noir, from what I remember, reminded me more of Tom Ford's Oud Wood than Versace Man. Oud Noir has a dark, smoky woody oud note but it's not a "thick" or very dense and enveloping oud accord (despite being dark and kind of smoky). It has saffron in it from what I remember, but it's not as ballsy or big as it is in Versace Man, and I seem to remember Oud Noir having more of a standard or typical "woody spicy" heart with pepper and some of the usual players making it up. Versace Man on the other hand was much more distinct in terms of the tobacco and saffron, while the standard woody-spicy aspect took more of a backseat.

    Man is the better one in my opinion. Though Oud Noir is easier to wear and probably more widely appealing.

  3. #3

    Default Re: How Similar Are Versace Man Purple And Versace Pour Homme Oud Noir?

    Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    They are not very similar as far as I can remember. I owned both--Versace Man for a while and Oud Noir only briefly. Versace Man is a very heady, swirling tobacco with a hefty dose of dark, aromatic "purple" saffron. It's opulent and somewhat powdery in a thick, cloudy way. Its smell very much resembles its box and bottle, if that makes any sense.

    Oud Noir, from what I remember, reminded me more of Tom Ford's Oud Wood than Versace Man. Oud Noir has a dark, smoky woody oud note but it's not a "thick" or very dense and enveloping oud accord (despite being dark and kind of smoky). It has saffron in it from what I remember, but it's not as ballsy or big as it is in Versace Man, and I seem to remember Oud Noir having more of a standard or typical "woody spicy" heart with pepper and some of the usual players making it up. Versace Man on the other hand was much more distinct in terms of the tobacco and saffron, while the standard woody-spicy aspect took more of a backseat.

    Man is the better one in my opinion. Though Oud Noir is easier to wear and probably more widely appealing.
    Funny enough - I have seen people say that Oud Noir is a spicier version of Man. More intense. I just didn't want to own two bottles of the same cologne more or less if they are as similar as many of the reviews online suggest.

  4. #4

    Default Re: How Similar Are Versace Man Purple And Versace Pour Homme Oud Noir?

    It is essentially the same idea (they have a similar overall feel) . VM goes more tobacco and is therefore better IMO . Oud Noir is more subdued and ofc more oud oriented making it a little bit drier. It is ok to have both but I am going with VM....

  5. #5
    The Devil in the Details
    Zealot Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue
    Posts
    4,421
    Blog Entries
    12

    Default Re: How Similar Are Versace Man Purple And Versace Pour Homme Oud Noir?

    Versace Man has a love-or-hate grape leaf accord that heads off the tobacco in it, like a smoother and sweeter "grape" take on Versace the Dreamer with the iris removed. I've never sampled Versace Oud Noir, but if it's tobavcco and oud, it is likely similar to John Varvatos Oud.
    oh look, I have a signature

  6. #6
    Basenotes Junkie Foamywax's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Athens
    Posts
    742

    Default Re: How Similar Are Versace Man Purple And Versace Pour Homme Oud Noir?

    I have Versace man and if they said it had an oud note in it I would believe it. It's a really nice fragrance you get the the occasional whiff of the fragrance during the day.
    It's more of a going out and dressing up fragrance.
    Just go to a department store and try both. I would think oud noir would last longer.
    I love Versace man but it would be better if it had a little more oomph. I think oud noir is priced like a niche scent it's about double the price of Versace man and not always easy to find.

  7. #7

    Default Re: How Similar Are Versace Man Purple And Versace Pour Homme Oud Noir?

    Not very similar to my nose either, apart from the a certain "regular designer" (not even an in-house trademark like e. g. the Guerlinade) quite correctly rendered fresh opening and mid section, not much else

  8. #8
    Basenotes Plus

    ILikePeeps's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    T̛e̢x͡as͜
    Posts
    5,350

    Default Re: How Similar Are Versace Man Purple And Versace Pour Homme Oud Noir?

    From what I remember (owned both) they were pretty similar. Basically the Oud Noir flanker is Versace Man (purple bottle) + a clean soil/dirt smell.

    Both are good frags!
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

  9. #9

    Default Re: How Similar Are Versace Man Purple And Versace Pour Homme Oud Noir?

    Quote Originally Posted by Milan SRB View Post
    It is essentially the same idea (they have a similar overall feel) . VM goes more tobacco and is therefore better IMO . Oud Noir is more subdued and ofc more oud oriented making it a little bit drier. It is ok to have both but I am going with VM....
    Is there a tobacco scent at all in Noir - even if less so than Man?

  10. #10

    Default Re: How Similar Are Versace Man Purple And Versace Pour Homme Oud Noir?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Versace Man has a love-or-hate grape leaf accord that heads off the tobacco in it, like a smoother and sweeter "grape" take on Versace the Dreamer with the iris removed. I've never sampled Versace Oud Noir, but if it's tobavcco and oud, it is likely similar to John Varvatos Oud.
    I am among the group of people that don't get the grape note or grape soda scent that some people do get with Versace Man.

  11. #11

    Default Re: How Similar Are Versace Man Purple And Versace Pour Homme Oud Noir?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hey Man View Post
    Is there a tobacco scent at all in Noir - even if less so than Man?
    No tobacco that I can detect....

  12. #12
    Basenotes Institution
    sjg3839's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    41,147

    Default Re: How Similar Are Versace Man Purple And Versace Pour Homme Oud Noir?

    Totally different IMO.
    <div class="bnsotd"><b>Currently wearing:</b> <a href="ID26148387.html"><img src="http://www.basenotes.net/photos/products/33/26148387-7393.jpg"> Carven L'Eau Intense by Carven</a></div>

  13. #13
    The Devil in the Details
    Zealot Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue
    Posts
    4,421
    Blog Entries
    12

    Default Re: How Similar Are Versace Man Purple And Versace Pour Homme Oud Noir?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hey Man View Post
    I am among the group of people that don't get the grape note or grape soda scent that some people do get with Versace Man.
    It's more like the powdery grape of a Pixi Stix candy or dry Kool-Aid mix. Not a realistic dark, juicy grape, because the leaf itself wouldn't impart that.
    oh look, I have a signature




Similar Threads

  1. similar to Versace pour homme?
    By joshuagjc in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 31st August 2017, 09:33 AM
  2. Looking for a scent similar to Versace Pour Homme, but under $35
    By Jfbgraphicdesign in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 9th April 2017, 11:56 PM
  3. Versace Pour Homme Oud Noir VS The One
    By Max94941 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 2nd December 2015, 09:58 AM
  4. Versace Pour Homme Oud Noir Versace for men (2013)
    By Vinrambo09 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 9th April 2015, 05:53 PM
  5. Versace pour Homme Oud Noir - very similar to Versace Man?
    By ILikePeeps in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 19th March 2015, 02:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000