Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Your Life In 5 Fragrances

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Age 14- was gifted Salvador Dali as the first ever "proper" designer fragrance, good enough to spark a so far almost lifelong enthusiasm not just for fragrances in general, but also for 1980s, powerhouse and/or fougere fragrances in particular

Age 16 to 17- Chevignon Brand for Men was, along with Drakkar Noir, among the first fragrances ever bought with own money, not gifted nor anything similar, enjoying both of them enough both at that point and even now just enough to reconfirm an age long passion for classic masculine fragrance styles

Early 20s but again with roots in some of the first testings of designer scents- Armani Eau pour Homme, a citrus powerhouse did dream of and was fascinated about since ages, but somehow there was always a factor (not necessarily financial nor of social unacceptability, the latter perhaps also linked to stereotypes, slight sonnbery, fads etc.) to keep and safeguard this fragrance almost as something too "sacred", as immature, unexpected, foolish, irreverent etc, it may sound to dare the final step of a purchase until then

Mid to late 20s- Knize Ten, essentially almost identical situation to Armani Eau pour Homme, just with classic leather instead of the citrus ones and with an nonidentical time-frame and track record of previous testing

Early 30s to now- although this situation can easily fit, with little to no variation, the aforementioned scents as well, did finally come to term with a particular scent category was fascinated by long before, but never found the determination, openness nor sufficient sampling/testing experience to fully accept it before, namely fruity, particularly pineapple dominated masculine scents, ranging from bargain choices like Lapidus pour Homme and Joop Nightflight to the more upmarket Aventus

Thank you all for sharing the stories so far and for also letting tell, in a few major highlights but definitely not all of the personal fragrance story, albeit even if just involuntarily not managing to render, to recollect and to describe all details, both the ones of radically decisive and of secondary importance, summed up more or less.
    Like your taste, Ken Russell
    Yeah, Montgomery Clift could get it

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    What a wonderful topic! I'm enjoying reading these recollections very much. Here's mine...

Childhood - Nothing to report.
    My parents view perfume as a non-essential indulgence to this day. In the bathroom cabinet, I recall a bottle of Jean Nate after bath splash, used mostly by maternal grandmother, oddly enough, Mennen Skin Bracer, Old Spice, and English Leather aftershaves, and that’s about it. None of these were mine or enjoyed by me,.

Adolescence
    #1 Coty’s Sweet Earth Woods solid perfume compact, containing Sandalwood, Amberwood, and Patchouli. Here’s a confession: I I shoplifted this during a brief phase of teenage criminality, Why, I do not know, but I adored it. If my memory is accurate, these scents were exceptionally good and unique for drugstore perfumes. If you want to laugh, check out Ebay prices for vintage examples of this compact.

#2 Aramis...I’ve mentioned this perfume experience before, but here it goes again: I have a vivid memory of testing Aramis in the department store as a teenager, and thinking, “That’s good!” No idea why I did this, since I wasn't in the habit of testing perfumes, and why I was testing perfumes at the men's counter is another mystery. I believe this seminal spray of Aramis explains my fondness for all isobutyl quinoline leathers to this day.

College
    My only perfume was a dark brown, pungent #3 patchouli paste in an unlabeled tiny jar with a green cap. I have looked and looked online, but I have been unable to find anything similar to this. I believ a friend got this stuff while traveling in the Middle East and passed it on to me.

20-30’s
    #4 YSL Paris. In the 80’s, I picked up three lovely perfumes in airport duty free shops on different trips: Coco EDP, Poison EDP, and Paris. I wore them all with pleasure, in different moods, but the rose-violet Paris was my favorite. It was romantic, long lasting, and perfect for dates and parties.

40’s
    Mostly unscented, except for baby wipes and diaper cream, since my daughters were little. Sometime during this decade, I stupidly threw away my still good, half full bottles of Coco, Poison, and Paris in a spasm of proto-Marie Kondo decluttering.

50’s
    I began reading about perfumes online in 2013 and gradually started to buy again. I have many perfumes that I love now, but I discovered my current favorite and signature, #5 vintage Miss Dior, and I don’t think I will ever be without a bottle. I've since replaced Coco and Paris in my wardrobe with vintage bottles just like the ones I had, and I wear these perfumes again, but not the Poison EDP - it's too much of a blast from the past for me to wear now.
    Loving your taste! And the stories, thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Life in 5 Fragrances

Drakkar Noir: Young, dumb, and.. well. You know. Man high school was great. You know the bottle without the red line had the illegal pheromones in it, right?? The newer one, they changed the formula, took the pheromones out. Didn't work as good. This was my first cologne. I would like to think that I lost my virginity as a direct result of Drakkar.

Davidoff Cool Water: Stepped it up early in college, as Drakkar was SO 1994. Man, I had no money but I HAD to have this cologne after I tried it at a friends house one summer. Saved money I made one winter bumping chairs as a liftie to buy it, and was so psyched when I got it. I practically bathed in this stuff that first winter, imagine my surprise when the bottle started running low less than a year later! I think my roomates were also stealing it, but it was so hard to tell, EVERYTHING smelled like Cool Water in there... I will also credit this cologne with the joys of casual sex.

JOOP REALLY thought I had stepped up my game when I scored some JOOP as a junior in college. Nobody had this scent! Plus, this stuff lasted FOREVER and it was so strong that 1 spray would last all day. So of course I used like 4 or 5. Boy, you knew when I was in the campus center, or had been there within the last few hours! I thought I was BMOC because of JOOP.

Le Male by JPG Post college, "real world". I did not associate this frag with either a club scene, or a gay club scene, despite being introduced to this by my then-GFs BFF, a gay guy who liked clubs. I just loved the smell and she did too. Wore this for years as my go-to. Day, night, summer, winter, didn't matter. JPG FTW!

Tuscan Leather by TF My introduction to the "real world" of high end fragrances. My current go-to. This cologne sparked my interest in other "niche" colognes, and was the reason I found this place (wanted to try all the other Tom Ford "private blends" as well as other high-end/niche houses) Interestingly, the same guy who got me hooked on Gaultier, got me hooked on this..

Your review of Drakkar Noir should really be their official tagline

Great stuff, thanks for sharing!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by theoleigh View Post
    Hey
    Yeah, the sex was fun; not sure what happened to him though, the thing kind of just fizzled out after I left the school and I think the last time we spoke I had my eye on someone else so nothing else really came of it

Ah, those other-people-getting-ready perfumes are the best, aren't they? Do love me some Samsara, and sounds like you'd have some pretty good stories from Pure Poison too

Does anyone ever forget the scent of the first boy they fell for? Which thread, do you remember? Would like to hear about it
    HI there,

I really liked reading your original post! It was great fun and I really admire the relationship you had with your grandmother.

Pure Poison definitely reminds me of many amazing nights with my best friend... even one where she unwillingly got into a major fight at the club. Oh my goodness, I'm laughing because I'm on the phone with her as I type this and recounted the crazy story! Ahhh, good times indeed.

I'll try to find the thread where the topic was similar to this one. I think it had to do with emotions connected to fragrances. Edit: found it with the link to my post:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/461...=1#post4535216

Currently wearing: No. 5 by Chanel

Thanks for this great thread! Let's give it a try:

When I was 4, 5 years old, my grandpa gave me a bottle of Avon Delicate Daisies, in an opaque white mouse bride bottle. Being the only girl, I was his favorite grandchild. Much later, I learntfrom my mother he wasn't a nice family man at all in her youth. But he was a cool granddad when I was younger. Still have that 70s bottle.

In my teens, several fragrances made it to my small, cheap collection. First one I eventually used for years, was Yves Rocher Orchidee. These were the years of the first parties, disco's, pubs, boys and other things my parents dissaproved. Still had Orchidee when I went to college.

In 1995, as college exchange student staying in Michigan, my parents wanted to give me something special for Christmas. They sent me several samples to pick from. Amongst them was Shalimar, but I chose Van Cleef extrait. Of course afterwards fell in love with Shalimar, which my parents bought me for graduating university in 1997.

In 2013, I lost my dad to Alzheimer. His scent was JPG Le Male. My mum gave me his remaining bottle. I don't wear it, but I am happy it is there to smell whenever I want to.

Last summer, in August, my dear cat (my avatar pic) died at the age of 16,5. He was so ill, I had my vet euthanize him at home. I brought him to the pet crematorium myself. I decided to wear L'Artisan Extrait de Songe, as it was the only fragrance he always seemed to like. But it bothered me. Hope I can wear it again next summer without negative thoughts.
    Currently wearing: Iris Ganache by Guerlain

Blog Entries

Ok, it took quite a bit of thought to narrow down my choices, but here goes:

Childhood: l had a number of Avon fragrances as a child, the most "grown up" of which was Persian Wood. 4711 also figured prominently, & the first fragrance l remember specifically asking for was Lemongrass from Boots, one of a collection of single-note sprays that they sold in the seventies.

Teens: my first serious boyfriend bought me a bottle of Magie Noire. l was working weekends as a chambermaid while at college, & l used to sniff any bottles of perfume that l found in the guests' rooms. This was the one that blew me away!

Twenties: this was when my fragrance obsession really took off. At the hospital where l did my nurse training, there was a regular stall that sold perfumes to the staff at reduced prices. l went through bottles of Arpege, Creation by Ted Lapidus, Diorissimo, Diva, original Kenzo, Le Jardin de Max Factor, LouLou, original Lumiere de Rochas, original Monsoon, No 19, Sun Moon Stars & Tresor. l also loved Avon's Odyssey during this period, & l eventually got married in Anais Anais, but the one that topped them all was Shalimar in PDT concentration, received as a gift from a girl friend. l didn't know at the time that so many of these were classics that would soon be altered or gone forever, but boy did l have a good time wearing them! The hospital students' bar (now also long gone) was the scene of some pretty wild action.

Cut to 2008: after my divorce & a few years of only owning one or two bottles at a time, this was the year l started my search for the perfect gardenia perfume, & it rebooted my obsession, leading me to basenotes & Estee Lauder's Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia. l wrote my first blog post here about my love for this beautiful perfume, & wore it on several solo trips to Greece, my second home.

The present: if l had to pick a perfume that defines me in the here & now, it would have to be Samsara, thanks to the enabling skills of dear Evangeline, who no longer posts here. And l have to mention some of my other, still-available great loves: Alien, Black Orchid, Carnal Flower, Fracas, lntense Tiare & Un Matin d'Orage - none of which l would have discovered without this fabulous community!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Junkie

This is a great topic.

Growing up, my mom wore Shalimar, and that smell still brings back strong childhood memories. She had the EDT, and the powder, and I distinctly remember one Christmas where my Dad splurged and bought her the Parfum version. Smelling it still reminds me of her, and of different, happy memories of my childhood.

Middle school arrived, and Polo sport was all the rage for 6-8th grade dances. I remember the dance floor (cafeteria lol) reeking of polo sport as we all herded around, trying to get our confidence up to dance with girls. I remember dancing with a girl I really liked, she was a badass, and wore one of those choker/chain things around her neck. During a slow dance we got close and I remember kissing her neck (I was so smooth), and I can still remember the way her neck tasted metallic from the chain. All the while the entire cloud of Polo Sport is choking out the teachers and chaperones (including my Dad, who was my middle school principal. I am sure he was horrified).

While I had dabbled in Polo Sport during the awkward Middle school stage, as I got older I wanted to wear something every day, something more "grown up". When I was 16 my parents bought me Cristobal by Balenciaga for Christmas. That became my daily driver until after college, and it was highly complimented for me from the ages of 16-24. I had my first real girlfriend wearing it, lost my virginity while wearing it, I met the woman who is now my wife wearing it. Tons of good memories and formative years with Cristobal. During a move a couple of years ago (before I got into this hobby) I came across a little bit left in an old bottle in a bathroom cabinet, and threw it away. I figured it had gone bad, but I did sniff the atomizer and those memories flooded back. I really regret tossing it, and it's now discontinued, so a disappointing double whammy there.

I met my wife when we were 20 years old in college. For our first Christmas together I bought her a bunch of stuff, one of those things was Romance by Ralph Lauren. She wore that most days during the time we were getting to know each other, getting serious, and falling in love. She wore it on our wedding day. During college and immediately after, a lot of my memories with her smelled like Romance.

Now in a more modern time, about a year ago, I really started to get into fragrances as a hobby. Not being able to imagine wearing one thing every day, my collection has grown and I've discovered a lot of things I really love wearing, but one of my absolute favorites is Creed Aventus. It's my wife's favorite on me, and has become a go to reach for me if I need a boost or just want to feel like I'm smelling fucking great. The last time I was visiting my parents, I saw a familiar looking bottle on my Dad's dresser in his closet, and when I saw it closer, it was a bottle of Aventus. He's never been huge into fragrances, but always had 1-2 things and wanted to smell good. He and I had never talked about Aventus before, but we both found it on our own, and now it's one more thing we share.

There are a handful of others that come to mind, but those five are the most meaningful and formative for me. Again, amazing topic, thank you for this.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    What a wonderful topic! I'm enjoying reading these recollections very much. Here's mine...

Childhood - Nothing to report.
    My parents view perfume as a non-essential indulgence to this day. In the bathroom cabinet, I recall a bottle of Jean Nate after bath splash, used mostly by maternal grandmother, oddly enough, Mennen Skin Bracer, Old Spice, and English Leather aftershaves, and that’s about it. None of these were mine or enjoyed by me,.

Adolescence
    #1 Coty’s Sweet Earth Woods solid perfume compact, containing Sandalwood, Amberwood, and Patchouli. Here’s a confession: I I shoplifted this during a brief phase of teenage criminality, Why, I do not know, but I adored it. If my memory is accurate, these scents were exceptionally good and unique for drugstore perfumes. If you want to laugh, check out Ebay prices for vintage examples of this compact.

#2 Aramis...I’ve mentioned this perfume experience before, but here it goes again: I have a vivid memory of testing Aramis in the department store as a teenager, and thinking, “That’s good!” No idea why I did this, since I wasn't in the habit of testing perfumes, and why I was testing perfumes at the men's counter is another mystery. I believe this seminal spray of Aramis explains my fondness for all isobutyl quinoline leathers to this day.

College
    My only perfume was a dark brown, pungent #3 patchouli paste in an unlabeled tiny jar with a green cap. I have looked and looked online, but I have been unable to find anything similar to this. I believ a friend got this stuff while traveling in the Middle East and passed it on to me.

20-30’s
    #4 YSL Paris. In the 80’s, I picked up three lovely perfumes in airport duty free shops on different trips: Coco EDP, Poison EDP, and Paris. I wore them all with pleasure, in different moods, but the rose-violet Paris was my favorite. It was romantic, long lasting, and perfect for dates and parties.

40’s
    Mostly unscented, except for baby wipes and diaper cream, since my daughters were little. Sometime during this decade, I stupidly threw away my still good, half full bottles of Coco, Poison, and Paris in a spasm of proto-Marie Kondo decluttering.

50’s
    I began reading about perfumes online in 2013 and gradually started to buy again. I have many perfumes that I love now, but I discovered my current favorite and signature, #5 vintage Miss Dior, and I don’t think I will ever be without a bottle. I've since replaced Coco and Paris in my wardrobe with vintage bottles just like the ones I had, and I wear these perfumes again, but not the Poison EDP - it's too much of a blast from the past for me to wear now.
    Those Coty Sweet Earth compacts were incredible! I think I had one in every combination they made, but the "woods" one was the very best. This takes me back!

My mother liked and wore Wind Song and various Avons when I was a wee child. There was a bottle of Chanel No. 5, but she never wore it and didn't like it. I never wore but loved to smell the bottles on her mirror tray on top of her dresser. Every couple of weeks I'd sniff the perfumes and organize her jewelry box. I loved every minute of it.
    Eventually, Avon came up with a perfume line for very little girls called "Pretty in Peach" - or some equally insipid name, and I wanted the entire array. I got my wish for Christmas and set up my own mirror tray in my bedroom. I think I was about 10 years-old. Not sure.

Around the same age I was shopping for a mother's day present with my hard-earned allowance and headed to our local Woolworth's. There I found, to my delight, a gift set of "Evening in Paris". It was a cardboard box with a clear plastic cover and it contained eau de toilette and a little thing of bath powder. How glamorous! And, affordable! Mother mustered up some fake enthusiasm when I presented her with her gift. One day, I caught her cleaning the bathroom using the EdT. She saw me, sighed and said "well, after all, it is eau de toilette. We both laughed, neither of us liked the smell.

Moving ahead to when I was maybe 12 years old, I spotted Jungle Gardenia in my mother's collection. I would spray with abandon and probably alerted the entire neighborhood with my nuclear dosage as I walked to school in my Catholic school uniform. I don't remember if the nuns commented and I thlnk I remember my mother being more amused than anything else.

There were years of Chantilly, Emeraude, L'Origin and many more in my teens.

Still in my teens, I remember smelling Madame Rochas for the first time and was amazed that anything could smell that good. My friend and I were at the MR counter at some department store and jokingly pronounced it roches sounding like roaches. The lady at the counter pretended to be outraged and said that Madame would faint if she ever heard anything so crude. Was there ever a real Madame Rochas?

Shalimar. I'll fast forward to my late twenties when I was involved in an illicit affair that I later regretted. He adored Shalimar in every form and made sure I was well stocked at all times. Oh well, Shalimar lived up to its reputation.

Chanel No. 5 and I only met again years after my encounter with my mother's perfumes. In a department store, I passed the Chanel counter and took a sniff of the body cream and bought it on the spot. This was in the late eighties and and the beginning of a life long relationship with 5 and other Chanel perfumes.

There were others - YSL Paris - on an end table in my office for anyone to spritz if the spirit moved them. I adored Obsession, but it did not smell right on me. Same goes with Cassini, Angel and I'm sure I'll remember others.

Today I own more perfumes than I ever imagined I would. They are an affordable luxury and it is wonderful having a community like Basenotes to share the love.

Now re-reading the op, I realize I was supposed to stick to five. Oh well, it's typical of me to get carried away.

As a young, rather naive teenager, I wore Mary Quant HAVOC, listened to the Beatles and The Stones,
    whilst also loving classical music. Mini skirts and long scarves were everywhere.
    Anais Anais and Aqua Manda also came and went in that lovely, carefree era.

I fell madly in love in 1971, whilst in the sixth-form and he wore EAU SAUVAGE. That perfume has a lot to answer for!
    It did things to me that no other perfume has done since.

He went off to Europe so that fizzled out eventually and I went off to study French and
    Music at university and wore RIVE GAUCHE and Jicky most of the time, whilst nursing a broken heart

I spent a year in France, discovered CASAQUE by Jean d'Albret and took a French lover.

Back in the UK, as a young, newly-qualified teacher, I wore CKONE for some strange reason and thought it was really cool. I can't stand it now!

Marriage to a lovely man from the Midlands,(who was actually wearing Brut,when I met him) and babies followed and perfume took a back seat,
    although Samsara was worn on occasions.

Since discovering Basenotes my perfume wardrobe has grown exponentially. I now lean towards spicy or fruity orientals, green chypres and almost
    everything in between. My favourites are probably ROMA, Mauboussin, "Y," Ambre et Vanille and Theorema.

Sorry I couldn't stick to five scents.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

I’m not sure I have 5 that would describe my life so far, but I’d like to take a shot at this.

I grew up on a farm, and bottled fragrances were never really a part of my upbringing. Milking cows just smelled like...the barn. You didn’t try and cover that up because you couldn’t. Some might crinkle their nose at the smell of a dairy farm, but whenever I’m back home (I live in the city now), I enjoy it. If not the smell of manure and straw and warm bodies, the other most prevalent smell on the farm had to do with the fields: fresh cut hay, silage, and corn. Regardless, about the only fragrance I remember from my childhood is my dad’s Brut aftershave he’d wear before church on Sunday mornings.

The only other people in my life that wore fragrances - at least until I reached college - were my grandparents. I don’t know what, specifically, they wore, but I associate my grandmother with lavender. She would put lavender in our baths and sew our ripped stuffed animals with mint dental floss. I smelled Halston Amber for Women a while back, and it reminded me so much of her I almost bought a bottle. As for my grandfather, I’m pretty sure his scent was Paul Sebastian Fine Cologne. I’ve not much to say about him. He’s a Navy veteran and the person I most associate with summer cookouts and cigarettes. He was the first person I saw with a tattoo (he has a faded pinup girl on his left bicep). I never saw him as someone I wanted to be (I always wanted to be like my dad), but as I get older, he’s someone I see myself becoming.

Aside from these, I can’t think of any fragrances that I would say describe my life. There are a few other smells I associate with my childhood, if you’ll allow me the liberty to cheat a little in my list.

My sister and I would pick wildflowers with my mom. She worked as a florist on the side, and we’d collect yarrow, tansy, and other flowers to hang in our garage to dry for my mom to use in flower arrangements. My favorite was yarrow. You’d hold one end of the stem and slide your other hand along it zzziiiipppppp to strip all the leaves off. By the end of the day, your hands would look and smell so green!

The other smell that I’ve carried with me through college and now into my 30’s is the smell of my dad’s truck. We had a wood burning stove growing up, so when you weren’t working on the farm, you were in the woods cutting fire wood. After filling the back of the truck up with wood, we’d throw the chainsaw in the cab. Inevitably, the cab became filled with the smell of sawdust, exhaust, and bar oil. I can’t describe the smell, but I wish I could bottle it.

So there you have it. I cheated a bit, but I’ve got a few decades to make more memories. If you pressed me, I could probably pick Flowerbomb as another fragrance important to my life. It’s the only fragrance my wife wears, but she wears fragrances so infrequently that I don’t necessarily associate it with her.

As for myself: I only got into this hobby recently, and I’m the only person I know (not including basenotes) that regularly wears fragrances. Maybe it’s a midwestern thing? Even in high school and college, I don’t recall anyone (girlfriends included) wearing fragrances. I mean, I’ve definitly encountered fragrances on other people, but since I’ve taken an interest in fragrances, no one seems to talk about them in these parts, and if ever I ask “hey, what cologne are you wearing,” I’m usually met with a mumbled response or an awkward look.

Anyways, I’m rambling. What I’m meaning to say, is this: when I got into this hobby, I had only planned on finding a “signature” fragrance for my kids to associate with me. Of the dozens of fragrances I’ve since discovered, I can’t say any one sticks out. If you asked my wife her favorite on me, she’d probably say Mont Blanc Legend, so if you forced me to round out my 5, I guess that would be it.

This is one of the best threads ever, IMO.

What a terrific way to get to know one another by utilizing fragrance references.

Basenotes Junkie

Great thread! I've enjoyed reading everyone's memories. Here are mine.

Royall Bay Rhum - My granddad wore this. It was the late 80's so the bottles still had the real bay leaf inside them, along with the heavy pewter cap. I would have been 7 or 8. At that age, I was obsessed with all things "tropical" and this smelled like the tropics in a bottle. I would sneak into his bathroom and steal some of this and Royall Spyce every chance I got. To this day, bay rum is one of my favorite scents, although I prefer St. John's to the current formulation of Royall, which--sadly--no longer has the bay leaf in the bottle. I also have some very good memories of wearing the sadly discontinued Burt's Bee's Bay Rum in my early '20s.

Drakkar Noir - I was a freshman in high school in '94/'95, and this had a reputation as being the stuff the girls loved. My dad and stepdad both wore it, so stealing sprays was easy. Maybe too easy, as I remember drenching myself in it. I have a distinct memory of working stage crew for a play and being acutely aware of the pungent smell of sweat-warmed Drakkar filling the small space I was in.

JPG Le Male - My then-wife's best friend got into our car one night smelling absolutely amazing. He was wearing some kind of dupe of Le Male, which I had never smelled before. Not long after, I found a bottle of Le Male in a duty-free shop on the ferry from Dover to Calais. I sprayed myself with it and the smell became inextricably linked with that trip to Europe. My wife would later buy me a bottle, which I used up while working at my first real post-college job, circa 2006.

Portland General Store sample set - I bought these circa 2011 while I was in law school--they were my rediscovery of fragrances after not having worn any for years.

YSL Rive Gauche - a decant of this, purchased circa 2013, marks the beginning of my discovery of the online fragrance community and all that it had to offer (samples, decants, niche, vintage, reviews/analysis, etc.). I don't wear it anymore but it'll always have a fondness for it because of what it represents.

Basenotes Junkie

#1. White Diamonds. My mother always wore this, and to this day still has a bottle even though she has become sensitive to some perfumes. My dad wore Stetson for special occasions, but otherwise he smelled of dirt, cotton gins, beer, and packs of Marlboro Lights.
    #2. My personal started with Curve in the 5th or 6th grade. There was one girl who would make out with anyone wearing Curve. Guess what we all wore? Yep.
    #3 Adidas Moves soon after Curve, My mom realized that I enjoyed wearing colognes and would get me Adidas for presents. It was so fresh, sporty, and I was the only one wearing it at the time. I'm 34 now I will still wear it in the heat of the summer. It smells just as fresh and sporty and young as it allways has.
    #4 16 to 24. Dark years..... And more Curve, along with cheap ass anything I found for a few dollars. I spent my days and nights drinking alcohol, and smoking cigarettes, and thinking somehow that 18 sprays of curve were going to cover up booze and the disgust of Marlboro Reds. Was Married for a few years during that period and although we had some amazing times and made some good memories, we were both very unhappy and toxic to each other. Didn't wear much cologne, and probably didn't bathe much either..... haha.
    #5 24 until now at 34. Cool Water, and a few others. Started to try and cover up ciggy smoke with Cool Water. Quit drinking because it was destroying my life. Found a nice relationship and had two beautiful children. My wife and I both quit smoking at 29 or 30 years of age. After all the years I realized how discusting the smell of ciggy smoke really was, how I revolted people, and how even smoking within 20 feet of someone could ruin their entire day if they were unfortunate enough to have to walk through my smoke cloud. So sorry to anyone who endured my second hand smoke.... I realized that it killed the sense of smell. I could smell flowers, food, and people like i had never smelled before because my entire life was filled with ciggs. Many many more people wore fragrances than I ever realized and I found that I enjoyed smelling pleasant things on other people. I expanded from cool water and curve, and now I know that I like to wear many different fragrances for different occasions and seasons. It's part of my daily life and it will allways be from now until the end.
    There a few things left out, but that's as close as I could get to five and stay with the origional idea of the thread.

Lovely thread! Here I go

Childhood Mom wears Clinique Happy to work at the airport gift shop. She got home late at night. I miss her everyday!

Age 14 Bought Curve Crush at the mall with money my family gave me for my birthday. I only wore it occasionally and didn't think about it much. Defaulted to deodorant and soap throughout high school. Not enough interest in perfume

Age 20 Started working, dating, and going out. This was 2009 so Creed Green Irish Tweed was all the rage. Bought a bottle ($120!) and did not like it very much lol.

Age 21 Wore decants of Frederic Malle Bigarade Concentree because there was no way in hell I could afford a full bottle. Still working retail and half-assing school. Social life slowing down to a halt near age 27, to be honest. Losing friends, ending relationships

Age 28 (Present) Getting serious about entering the hospitality industry and going back to school. Bvlgari Black reignited my interest in perfume and now I have a small collection that includes Byredo Bal D'Afrique, La Tulipe and Diptyque Philosykos.

I'm much better now. I like the restaurant I work at and I make enough money to get by and splurge once in a while. Still in therapy for depression/anxiety--haven't given up on school! I really struggled during this decade and I'm trying to close it out strong and prepare for my thirties. Very excited. I'll be smelling lovely too
    Currently wearing: Bal d'Afrique by Byredo

70's: Mysore Santalum Album Essential Oil (from India - the real deal)

The local head shop owner used to import stuff - I couldn't stand the overiding Patchouli Oil craze and was fortunate to discover Sandalwood early on.

80's: Crabtree & Evelyn Extrait of Mysore Sandalwood EdT (until the Mysore ran out and it turned into 'soapy goodness')

I moved to Hong Kong from New Zealand and found this stuff - perfect segue from the oil into a more sophisticated fragrance.

90's: GIT

Just chanced on this and liked it before I saw all the Creed hype - it was good stuff back then, not so good now.

00's: Yohji Homme

I was into 'hip designers' when it came to clothes and grabbed this when it turned up. I still wear the re-issue, which is great. CdG Kyoto was another favourite.

10's: All hell broke loose - I started collecting so way too many to choose from but probably the most 'defining' faves would be Sous le Vent in the warmer months and L'Eau d'Hiver when it's cooler, and Santal Noble anytime.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

My mother never wore any fragrances. Or any make up, for that matter. She did have a small makeup bag with some bits and bobs (like a purple lipstick), which fascinated me to no end. Whenever possible I'd sneakily try some of the things in there, and I loved dress up days at school, because that meant I could wear some of her make up! I was equally fascinated with the few cosmetic samples (tiny sachets of face cream and so on) I managed to get my hands on. I distinctly remember some Yves Rocher samples, including a few perfume miniatures that I treasured. The ones that I remember were Orchidee and a tiny, midnight blue bottle of Ispahan. I also had a mini of Cacharel's Anaïs Anaïs, but I can't remember the smell of any of them.

In my early teens (we're talking early 90s here) I developed a great love for Impulse body sprays, particularly the purple one, and I hereby would like to apologize to all my gym teachers for gassing up the locker rooms with that stuff.

The first proper perfume I remember was something by Krizia. I think it must have been Krazy, but I don't recognize the bottle. I was gifted half a bottle by a friend of the family, much to the chagrin of my mother, because it was insanely strong, not particularly nice, and it made her sneeze. I loved having something to wear, even though I did not really like the scent. I was about 13 or 14 by this time, and very much into all things make up and cosmetics related.

Fast forward a few years and I discovered high end make up and luxury brands. I bought a biography of Chanel, and fell hard for the romanticized story of Gabrielle and her brand, so obviously I developed a thing for Chanel, saving up my pocket money to buy waaaaaaay too sophisticated eyeshadow quads and lipsticks which I would play with every chance I got. I also decided I needed to have a bottle of No. 5, without ever having smelled it. My parents thought it was a bit weird, but indulged me and I was presented with my first bottle of No. 5 at the tender age of 15. I absolutely adored it from the first sniff, delighted by all its different facets; powder! soapiness! flowers! vanilla! I marveled at it and kept shoving my arm under people's noses to try and make them understand (which I'm sure they didn't). I wore it every day for years and years, all throughout the rest of high school, which must have been weird in the sea of CK one, Tommy Girl, and generic aquatics that permeated the hallways of my school.

Right before I left my parental house to go to university I bought a bottle of YSL Babydoll on a whim. It felt fresh and I had a bit of a girl crush on Laetitia Casta at the time, so I used it as a change of pace in summer. Throughout my wild child 20s I remained faithful to No. 5 and Babydoll, never really seeking out anything else in stores and tossing out each and every fragrance sample I received, with the exception of YSL Nu, which I thought was interesting but too challenging and grown up to wear. I suppose I was trying to find myself in many ways, but in terms of fragrances, I felt I was already there.

I met my husband wearing No. 5, wore No. 5 to my wedding, and to pretty much any other life changing event in my early 30s. I would probably not have ventured back into fragrances if it wasn't for trying to find my husband something more enjoyable than the Acqua di Gio and Cool Water he was wearing. He found Terre d'Hermes, and I found Basenotes. And Cuir de Russie and 31 Rue Cambon, which felt like the logical next step in my evolution of a Chanel lover. I also found niche fragrances like Portrait of a Lady, which was the first time a niche fragrance knocked my socks off. And then I found artisan and indie perfumers like Hiram Green (Moon Bloom! Dilettante!) and Areej le Doree, which is where I am now.