Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 47
  1. #1
    Basenotes Member theoleigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    back and forth, paris and london
    Posts
    71

    Default Your Life In 5 Fragrances

    Can you tell the story of your life in 5 fragrances?

    I'd really be super interested to read about it!




    Mine would go something like this:
    Estée Lauder White Linen: Discovery of my Grandma's bottle of White Linen (at about the age of 7) takes our friendship to the next level; from now on, we go out to weekly lunches or dinners where afterwards Grandma takes me to museums, galleries, parks, gardens, magazine offices, friends' houses, historical monuments, publishing houses, and teaches me about art, style, good manners, food, the world, having fun, and, of course, perfume

    Dior Eau Sauvage: Go to Paris with Grandma at age 10, fall head over heels with the Right Bank and with Dior Eau Sauvage; beg to be given it as a gift but am told to be too young to wear it; steal a bottle from a shop anyway, and am severely admonished when found out and marched back into the store to pay. Do pay and get to keep the bottle. Feel triumphant. Wear Eau Sauvage exclusively until....

    Dior Poison: Discover Poison at the age of 16, during rebellious phase. Wear it (Grandma, among others, is aghast at this choice), along with all-black ensembles and indoor sunglasses. Begin smoking cheap cigarettes and carrying flask of warm whiskey in breast pocket, generally argue with everyone and proceed to be bitchy and moody in equal measure at all times. Get really into Simone de Beauvoir, nearly fail Sophomore year and am sent to boarding school.

    Chanel Antaeus: At boarding school, fall in love with a boy who wears this exclusively. Realise bisexuality but don't quite come to terms with it, and conspire to sleep with him "as proof". Manage to do this, and lose virginity to him in lacrosse field in the middle of the night. Catch a really bad cold, am sent home early, don't go back to boarding school. Recuperate and settle down slightly. Begin to shift back and forth between Poison and Eau Sauvage.

    Chanel No. 19: Aged 21. Have come to terms with sexuality and settled down a great deal since rebellious phase. Have not stolen anything again. Am in college (not first choice, not second either, but do enjoy it) and get into considerably less trouble. Grandma falls ill. Eventually dies. Leaves me her bottles of perfume, as well as some books, jewellery, artwork, and furniture. Find a letter from her taped to a Chanel box. Open box, find Chanel No. 19, "now that I am older and more mature." Miss having someone to talk about perfume with. Miss her tremendously.
    Yeah, Montgomery Clift could get it

  2. #2
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    267,932

    Default Re: Your Life In 5 Fragrances

    What an interesting 14 years of fragrance associated life recollections!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Your Life In 5 Fragrances

    Chanel No 5: Memories and experiences of my grandmother teaching me how to read and write in Korean... Not to mention learning how to hand sew and use a sewing machine.

    Versace Man Eau Fraiche: Reminds me of spring.... The joy of taking out the road bike after a long period of inactivity due to the long Canadian winters.

    Rochas Man: When I tried Turkish coffee hoping to enjoy the taste... I enjoyed the taste but it was fleeting. The caffeine crash that I experienced made me abstain from drinking coffee. Since then, I have never touched coffee or any type of caffeine.

    Tuscan Leather: After I smelled this fragrance, I never judged a fragrance from its initial spraying.

    Leau d'Issey Pour Homme: I remember the time I was in a classroom, and a classmate asked the teacher about a smell in the room. Since then, I never over sprayed any of my fragrances.

    Most of these are important periods of my life; I still have many more years ahead of me.

  4. #4
    Basenotes Plus
    thrilledchilled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Virginia, Florida
    Posts
    868

    Default Re: Your Life In 5 Fragrances

    Quote Originally Posted by theoleigh View Post
    Can you tell the story of your life in 5 fragrances?

    I'd really be super interested to read about it!




    Mine would go something like this:
    Estée Lauder White Linen: Discovery of my Grandma's bottle of White Linen (at about the age of 7) takes our friendship to the next level; from now on, we go out to weekly lunches or dinners where afterwards Grandma takes me to museums, galleries, parks, gardens, magazine offices, friends' houses, historical monuments, publishing houses, and teaches me about art, style, good manners, food, the world, having fun, and, of course, perfume

    Dior Eau Sauvage: Go to Paris with Grandma at age 10, fall head over heels with the Right Bank and with Dior Eau Sauvage; beg to be given it as a gift but am told to be too young to wear it; steal a bottle from a shop anyway, and am severely admonished when found out and marched back into the store to pay. Do pay and get to keep the bottle. Feel triumphant. Wear Eau Sauvage exclusively until....

    Dior Poison: Discover Poison at the age of 16, during rebellious phase. Wear it (Grandma, among others, is aghast at this choice), along with all-black ensembles and indoor sunglasses. Begin smoking cheap cigarettes and carrying flask of warm whiskey in breast pocket, generally argue with everyone and proceed to be bitchy and moody in equal measure at all times. Get really into Simone de Beauvoir, nearly fail Sophomore year and am sent to boarding school.

    Chanel Antaeus: At boarding school, fall in love with a boy who wears this exclusively. Realise bisexuality but don't quite come to terms with it, and conspire to sleep with him "as proof". Manage to do this, and lose virginity to him in lacrosse field in the middle of the night. Catch a really bad cold, am sent home early, don't go back to boarding school. Recuperate and settle down slightly. Begin to shift back and forth between Poison and Eau Sauvage.

    Chanel No. 19: Aged 21. Have come to terms with sexuality and settled down a great deal since rebellious phase. Have not stolen anything again. Am in college (not first choice, not second either, but do enjoy it) and get into considerably less trouble. Grandma falls ill. Eventually dies. Leaves me her bottles of perfume, as well as some books, jewellery, artwork, and furniture. Find a letter from her taped to a Chanel box. Open box, find Chanel No. 19, "now that I am older and more mature." Miss having someone to talk about perfume with. Miss her tremendously.
    Fantastic post. Thank you.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    1,200

    Default Re: Your Life In 5 Fragrances

    Yours was fun to read. Sex in a lacrosse field blanketed by darkness sounds hot as fuck! What happened to the boy you fell in love with though? I feel that bit was unresolved!


    As for me, I only have genuine fragrance associations with:

    Samsara which always makes me feel like a little boy while my mom is getting ready and spritzing herself with it. To this day, it's still one of her favorites and the smell never fails to bring a smile to my face because of the fun times we had when I was a wee little sassy boy. (still quite sassy though!)

    Clinique Happy for Men is another which always brings me back to my first love when I was 17. He wore it religiously and whenever we'd hug or make out I would smell the scent on him which worked perfectly with his great looks and personality. I recounted this story in another thread some weeks ago which touches on a similar topic of fragrance memories.

    I always associate Dior's Pure Poison with the years 2007 & 2008 as my best friend wore this every single Saturday when we'd go out for dinner and dancing. Whenever she doused herself in that as we were putting the final touches on our ensembles for the evening, I always knew we were about to have an amazing night like we always did.
    Currently wearing: No. 5 by Chanel

  6. #6
    Wearing Perfume Right Now
    Bavard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    5,493

    Default Re: Your Life In 5 Fragrances

    I had some Brut as a kid, and found it interesting. It didn't completely resonate, though, and would leave me wanting more.

    I got a bottle of Opium Pour Homme edp right out of college, and although I loved the opening, I eventually realized I detested the base, and binned it.

    I got a bottle of Fahrenheit soon after the Opium Pour Homme, and it was the opposite: it grew on me over time and is still a favorite.

    I got a bottle of Platinum Egoiste around 2014, and it sparked my interest so much, I ended up on Basenotes.

    Soon after that, I ordered a mini of vintage Antaeus, which I loved, and which, along with Chanel Pour Monsieur, got me into exploring vintage fragrances.
    Last edited by Bavard; 11th February 2019 at 10:53 AM.

  7. #7
    Basenotes Plus

    Cook.bot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Tracks, Wrong Side of
    Posts
    3,919

    Default Re: Your Life In 5 Fragrances

    Quote Originally Posted by theoleigh View Post
    Can you tell the story of your life in 5 fragrances?

    Mine would go something like this:
    That was a marvelous perfume biography! Concise, but with all the telling details of various ages.

    You've made me want to give mine some thought and come back here.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Your Life In 5 Fragrances

    What lovely posts in this thread. I wish I had a badass grandma. My turn:

    YSL Opium / Estee Lauder Spellbound: my mother used to bathe in those when I was very young, and these are the fragrances I most remember her by. She also used to smoke like a chimney (but always maintained good hygiene and chewed gum afterwards so she didn't reek of stale smoke) so that medley is the scent I most associate with her. I have a partial vintage bottle of Opium for sentimental reasons, but it still doesn't capture her scent when I was very little.

    Lancome Tresor: I always had an interest in fragrance, but I remember this one time I had a sleepover at my cousin's and my aunt let me sleep in her bed. Her pillow smelled so nicely of Tresor - this is the first time that it clicked that perfume could be actually equal to something very pleasant.

    Dior Addict: yes, there were scents before that were gifted to me, but this is the first one I bought with my own money. It was a tester from a local pharmacy and over half price, but still a lot of money for me back then. I fell in love with the jasmine note that lingered underneath the sharp orange blossom. Jasmine is a scent that always reminds me of happy times in my teenage bedroom as I had the bushes flowering outside my bedroom, and it just so happened that Addict was the first fragrance to capture a little bit of that.

    Serge Lutens A La Nuit: this was pretty much the start of my fragrance obsession. It sent me right down a jasmine rabbit hole and gifted me the curiosity about niche. I had a phase where I bought samples of all the niche jasmine scents I could get my hands on. Settled on A La Nuit, Nuda and Sarrasins as my holy trinity.

    Chanel Bois des Iles Parfum: This resonates with me like nothing else. I can't quite explain it, but it's quite visceral in a way that it smells like a living, breathing thing despite not being animalic at all. It gives me goosebumps, and also reminds me of my partner's nape, which of course is the best smelling object in the world I'm not done with my fragrance journey, but this will be very hard to beat for me.

    Bonus - Armani Vetiver Babylone: my better half's favourite scent and first niche. So many happy memories involving this scent.

  9. #9

    teardrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The south of England
    Posts
    16,098
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Your Life In 5 Fragrances

    Fascinating thread & post, theoleigh!

    l'll be back when l've given this some thought...
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Diamondflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    13,650

    Default Re: Your Life In 5 Fragrances

    LOVE it. Let me work out an angle.

    My first love wore Estee Lauder Beautiful and she loved Armani Eau Pour Homme on me but somehow I ended up married to another girl who wore Ralph Lauren Safari. That didn’t work out eventually for she left me for another and I faded to black, wearing no fragrance during those dark years. Time healed me and I started dating again but only remember a fling with a co-worker who wore the awful smelling Versace Bright Crystal. To cut a long story short I found love again with a lady who rocked Lanvin Rumeur, started a family and watched my fragrance wardrobe explode.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 12th February 2019 at 03:33 AM.

  11. #11
    Basenotes Plus

    Cook.bot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Tracks, Wrong Side of
    Posts
    3,919

    Default Re: Your Life In 5 Fragrances

    Pithy as always, Diamondflame.

  12. #12
    Basenotes Plus

    mammakay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    82

    Default Re: Your Life In 5 Fragrances

    5 scents/life:
    Oh! de London - Along with Slicker lip gloss, Carnaby Street-type stockings, Mary Quant everything, and a longish blue cotton pleated uniform skirt that you could artfully roll up into a miniskirt (with practice) and yank it all down in a split second when the nun came after you. Half the junior class smelled like Oh! de London and Slicker. (The guys at the boys school reeked of Brut, Clearasil and faint mothballs, a combo scent which haunts me to this day.)

    College years had no discernible scent other than patchouli and tear gas, which was standard blue jean scent at the time.

    20s: Estee Lauder provided the gateway drugs whereby Aliage morphed into Beautiful and then Private Collection. I was married in Private Collection and divorced in Rive Gauche.

    30s: Were spent in a persistent cloud of YSL Paris, hairspray and cigarette smoke. An awful lot of offices smelled like Poison, hairspray and cigarette smoke. I think the era of people fearing and/or hating perfume on other people might have originated in the 1980s.

    40s, 50s: Tiffany (the original) and Nahema. They don't make 'em like that anymore, literally.

    60s: Everything. 65 bottles at age 65. I have enough perfume to last me for the rest of my life with enough leftover for embalming fluid. I will spray something full-on, every day, and don't give a hoot what anyone else says about it. Guerlain, Lutens, Malle, Hermes, L'artisan, Amouage, whomever. Just bring it on.
    "Elegance is innate. It has nothing to do with being well dressed. Elegance is refusal." ---Diana Vreeland, VOGUE
    "Stink elegant!" ---C. J. Lacey, grandfather

  13. #13
    Basenotes Plus

    Starblind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    2,932

    Default Re: Your Life In 5 Fragrances

    Quote Originally Posted by mammakay View Post
    5 scents/life:
    Oh! de London - Along with Slicker lip gloss, Carnaby Street-type stockings, Mary Quant everything, and a longish blue cotton pleated uniform skirt that you could artfully roll up into a miniskirt (with practice) and yank it all down in a split second when the nun came after you. Half the junior class smelled like Oh! de London and Slicker. (The guys at the boys school reeked of Brut, Clearasil and faint mothballs, a combo scent which haunts me to this day.)

    College years had no discernible scent other than patchouli and tear gas, which was standard blue jean scent at the time.

    20s: Estee Lauder provided the gateway drugs whereby Aliage morphed into Beautiful and then Private Collection. I was married in Private Collection and divorced in Rive Gauche.

    30s: Were spent in a persistent cloud of YSL Paris, hairspray and cigarette smoke. An awful lot of offices smelled like Poison, hairspray and cigarette smoke. I think the era of people fearing and/or hating perfume on other people might have originated in the 1980s.

    40s, 50s: Tiffany (the original) and Nahema. They don't make 'em like that anymore, literally.

    60s: Everything. 65 bottles at age 65. I have enough perfume to last me for the rest of my life with enough leftover for embalming fluid. I will spray something full-on, every day, and don't give a hoot what anyone else says about it. Guerlain, Lutens, Malle, Hermes, L'artisan, Amouage, whomever. Just bring it on.
    Wonderfully evocative descriptions here!

  14. #14

    Default Re: Your Life In 5 Fragrances

    Age 14- was gifted Salvador Dali as the first ever "proper" designer fragrance, good enough to spark a so far almost lifelong enthusiasm not just for fragrances in general, but also for 1980s, powerhouse and/or fougere fragrances in particular

    Age 16 to 17- Chevignon Brand for Men was, along with Drakkar Noir, among the first fragrances ever bought with own money, not gifted nor anything similar, enjoying both of them enough both at that point and even now just enough to reconfirm an age long passion for classic masculine fragrance styles

    Early 20s but again with roots in some of the first testings of designer scents- Armani Eau pour Homme, a citrus powerhouse did dream of and was fascinated about since ages, but somehow there was always a factor (not necessarily financial nor of social unacceptability, the latter perhaps also linked to stereotypes, slight sonnbery, fads etc.) to keep and safeguard this fragrance almost as something too "sacred", as immature, unexpected, foolish, irreverent etc, it may sound to dare the final step of a purchase until then

    Mid to late 20s- Knize Ten, essentially almost identical situation to Armani Eau pour Homme, just with classic leather instead of the citrus ones and with an nonidentical time-frame and track record of previous testing

    Early 30s to now- although this situation can easily fit, with little to no variation, the aforementioned scents as well, did finally come to term with a particular scent category was fascinated by long before, but never found the determination, openness nor sufficient sampling/testing experience to fully accept it before, namely fruity, particularly pineapple dominated masculine scents, ranging from bargain choices like Lapidus pour Homme and Joop Nightflight to the more upmarket Aventus

    Thank you all for sharing the stories so far and for also letting tell, in a few major highlights but definitely not all of the personal fragrance story, albeit even if just involuntarily not managing to render, to recollect and to describe all details, both the ones of radically decisive and of secondary importance, summed up more or less.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Your Life In 5 Fragrances

    These are all so beautiful to read, what a wonderful thread idea
    Currently wearing: Bal d'Afrique by Byredo

  16. #16
    Freed from BN Institution

    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    31,672

    Default Re: Your Life In 5 Fragrances

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Age 14- was gifted Salvador Dali as the first ever "proper" designer fragrance, good enough to spark a so far almost lifelong enthusiasm not just for fragrances in general, but also for 1980s, powerhouse and/or fougere fragrances in particular

    Age 16 to 17- Chevignon Brand for Men was, along with Drakkar Noir, among the first fragrances ever bought with own money, not gifted nor anything similar, enjoying both of them enough both at that point and even now just enough to reconfirm an age long passion for classic masculine fragrance styles

    Early 20s but again with roots in some of the first testings of designer scents- Armani Eau pour Homme, a citrus powerhouse did dream of and was fascinated about since ages, but somehow there was always a factor (not necessarily financial nor of social unacceptability, the latter perhaps also linked to stereotypes, slight sonnbery, fads etc.) to keep and safeguard this fragrance almost as something too "sacred", as immature, unexpected, foolish, irreverent etc, it may sound to dare the final step of a purchase until then

    Mid to late 20s- Knize Ten, essentially almost identical situation to Armani Eau pour Homme, just with classic leather instead of the citrus ones and with an nonidentical time-frame and track record of previous testing

    Early 30s to now- although this situation can easily fit, with little to no variation, the aforementioned scents as well, did finally come to term with a particular scent category was fascinated by long before, but never found the determination, openness nor sufficient sampling/testing experience to fully accept it before, namely fruity, particularly pineapple dominated masculine scents, ranging from bargain choices like Lapidus pour Homme and Joop Nightflight to the more upmarket Aventus

    Thank you all for sharing the stories so far and for also letting tell, in a few major highlights but definitely not all of the personal fragrance story, albeit even if just involuntarily not managing to render, to recollect and to describe all details, both the ones of radically decisive and of secondary importance, summed up more or less.
    wonderfully written
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

  17. #17
    The Devil in the Details
    Zealot Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue
    Posts
    4,474
    Blog Entries
    12

    Default Re: Your Life In 5 Fragrances

    When I was a kid, it was whatever my parents and older siblings had lying around. I didn't wear the stuff, but I sure as Hell sniffed it. My mom was the Avon source along with my aunts, so she Bird of Paradise, Unforgettable, Charisma, Roses Roses, Topaze, and many more that I sniffed a lot as a child. She was also a fan of Revlon Jontue, Moon Drops, and Charlie, the last one I am quite in love with myself. For the high end, she loved Chanel No 5 in the tall black column sprayer, EdT format snd EdC before that. She also loved Chantilly since it was a high-end Houbigant, so despite it being shucked out by Dana at drugstores everywhere nowadays, I count it in her high end selections because when she was buying it, they still sold it at department store counters.

    I've been slowly collecting her wardrobe for myself over time.

    My dad was not a cologne guy per se, being in between the baby boomer generation and the "greatest" generation that fought in WWII, being born in 1939. He was 15 years older than my mother, but he had the token Old Spice every guy bought almost on compulsion, plus a few Mennen items all long discontinued now, like Millionaire and Hawk, plus Skin Bracer in the cabinet because it matched the Speed Stick deodorant Mennen also makes. His colognes sat untouched, and I wish I had them. My brother had some decanters given to him from the folks, including two different Wild Country ones, a car and a basketball trophy for the Baltimore Bullets, a long-dead NBA team for the city. He also later fancied Coty Preferred Stock when the Avon ran out, which is where I got my taste in those.

    My own fragrances came in the form of an English Leather gift set I received as a teen in the 90's. This set also contained a small bottle of Canoe and Navy for Men. My uncle gave me his larger bottles of English Leather and Wind Drift upon discovering I liked the stuff, as he didn't wear cologne either and wanted an excuse to offload them. My first bought by me for me scent was a bottle of Coty Gravity, as I fell in love with the commercials. Later on, I was given a bottle of Stetson and British Sterling as gifts too, so I ended up with a small wardrobe of drugstore classics before I even entered my 20's. I guess I was bitten by the bug then. I was also coming to terms with my sexuality then, so I think I was drawn to the more masculine fragrances for reasons other than for why I was meant to be, if that makes sense.

    Still, I never really allowed myself to explore feminines despite liking them, because stupid society-reinforced bias, but I eventually broke free of that as I got a decade or so under the belt's worth of wisdom. I was bitten by the Avon bug after I got out on my own, and that has blossomed into a mental illness all unto itself if my huge collection of it doesn't give you that hint, but I still loved other brands too, I just didn't want to risk a blind buy as I lived far from any good department stores to test anything, and most of the perfume kiosks and standalone shops didn't have many things out to try. Eventually I got into Ralph Lauren and Calvin Klein, and a few other odds and ends designers but never dived into obscure vintages or niche fragrances until 2012 when I found this site. I didn't really share my exploits then, and sat quietly until last year, when I opened pandora's box and here I am. If I had to make a timeline it would look like this:


    Teens: English Leather, Gravity, Canoe, Navy for Men, British Sterling, (while everyone else was drowning in Curve, Tommy, Nautica, and Eternity)

    Twenties: Polo, Drakkar, Quorom, Obsession, L'Eau d'Issey, Kenneth Cole New York, Black Suede, Aramis (while everyone else drowned in Axe and Bod sprays)

    Thirties 30-35: Moustache, Eau Sauvage, Monsieur Musk, Chanel PM Concentree, Halston Z-14, Halston 112, Azzaro Pour Homme (while everyone else drowned in Acqua di Gio and now Sauvage)

    Thirties 36-present: I fell down the vintage rabbit hole, and came back with a farm of hand-raised unicorns and G.O.A.T.S, plus a ton of weirdo obscure houses like Bogart and Jacomo, and all this crazy niche that my 20 year old self would say I'm crazy for spending money on (while everyone else drowns in ambroxan).

    FIN
    oh look, I have a signature

  18. #18

    Default Re: Your Life In 5 Fragrances

    I popped out a month early, on NYE, and decided there and then to not wear any fragrances until around 2009/10. After a semi-satisfying stint with perhaps quite typical beginner fragrances recommended by "the ladies" (Cool Water) and random websites (Bulgari Pour Homme Soir) I began to do some research, discovered BN, fragrance interest and consumption snowballed and I've been wearing many different scents ever since. So, if it ever turns out that fragrances are indeed highly toxic, expect to hear from my lawyer, guys.

  19. #19
    Super Member grayspoole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    492

    Default Re: Your Life In 5 Fragrances

    What a wonderful topic! I'm enjoying reading these recollections very much. Here's mine...

    Childhood - Nothing to report.
    My parents view perfume as a non-essential indulgence to this day. In the bathroom cabinet, I recall a bottle of Jean Nate after bath splash, used mostly by maternal grandmother, oddly enough, Mennen Skin Bracer, Old Spice, and English Leather aftershaves, and that’s about it. None of these were mine or enjoyed by me,.

    Adolescence
    #1 Coty’s Sweet Earth Woods solid perfume compact, containing Sandalwood, Amberwood, and Patchouli. Here’s a confession: I I shoplifted this during a brief phase of teenage criminality, Why, I do not know, but I adored it. If my memory is accurate, these scents were exceptionally good and unique for drugstore perfumes. If you want to laugh, check out Ebay prices for vintage examples of this compact.

    #2 Aramis...I’ve mentioned this perfume experience before, but here it goes again: I have a vivid memory of testing Aramis in the department store as a teenager, and thinking, “That’s good!” No idea why I did this, since I wasn't in the habit of testing perfumes, and why I was testing perfumes at the men's counter is another mystery. I believe this seminal spray of Aramis explains my fondness for all isobutyl quinoline leathers to this day.

    College
    My only perfume was a dark brown, pungent #3 patchouli paste in an unlabeled tiny jar with a green cap. I have looked and looked online, but I have been unable to find anything similar to this. I believ a friend got this stuff while traveling in the Middle East and passed it on to me.

    20-30’s
    #4 YSL Paris. In the 80’s, I picked up three lovely perfumes in airport duty free shops on different trips: Coco EDP, Poison EDP, and Paris. I wore them all with pleasure, in different moods, but the rose-violet Paris was my favorite. It was romantic, long lasting, and perfect for dates and parties.

    40’s
    Mostly unscented, except for baby wipes and diaper cream, since my daughters were little. Sometime during this decade, I stupidly threw away my still good, half full bottles of Coco, Poison, and Paris in a spasm of proto-Marie Kondo decluttering.

    50’s
    I began reading about perfumes online in 2013 and gradually started to buy again. I have many perfumes that I love now, but I discovered my current favorite and signature, #5 vintage Miss Dior, and I don’t think I will ever be without a bottle. I've since replaced Coco and Paris in my wardrobe with vintage bottles just like the ones I had, and I wear these perfumes again, but not the Poison EDP - it's too much of a blast from the past for me to wear now.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Your Life In 5 Fragrances

    Aramis - first cologne I smelled on my Dad's dresser (even though he didn't like it). From then on I was always sniffing the colognes in the drug store.

    English Leather/Jovan Musk - The first two of my own, got them as presents in my early teens. Those little plastic English Leather and Timberline bottles were popular stocking stuffers back in the 80's.

    Calvin - a friend in college wore it, and I had to have it too. Similar experience with Drakkar Noir, but it didn't have the lasting impression on me that Calvin did.

    Floris Elite/No. 89 - my first forray into luxury scents, received them as part of a sampler. re-ignited my interest in fragrances.

    Halston Z-14/Azzaro PH- even though they were "new" to me just a few years ago, they both sum up everything I like about fragrances.
    Currently wearing: Preferred Stock by Coty

  21. #21

    Default Re: Your Life In 5 Fragrances

    Minotaure was my first true perfume.
    After that I can’t remember anymore

  22. #22
    Basenotes Member theoleigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    back and forth, paris and london
    Posts
    71

    Default Re: Your Life In 5 Fragrances

    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    What an interesting 14 years of fragrance associated life recollections!
    Aah thanks
    Would love to hear yours if you'd care to share
    Yeah, Montgomery Clift could get it

  23. #23
    Basenotes Member theoleigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    back and forth, paris and london
    Posts
    71

    Default Re: Your Life In 5 Fragrances

    Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    Fantastic post. Thank you.

    Thanks, I appreciate you saying so
    Yeah, Montgomery Clift could get it

  24. #24
    Basenotes Member theoleigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    back and forth, paris and london
    Posts
    71

    Default Re: Your Life In 5 Fragrances

    Quote Originally Posted by BoyChanel View Post
    Yours was fun to read. Sex in a lacrosse field blanketed by darkness sounds hot as fuck! What happened to the boy you fell in love with though? I feel that bit was unresolved!


    As for me, I only have genuine fragrance associations with:

    Samsara which always makes me feel like a little boy while my mom is getting ready and spritzing herself with it. To this day, it's still one of her favorites and the smell never fails to bring a smile to my face because of the fun times we had when I was a wee little sassy boy. (still quite sassy though!)

    Clinique Happy for Men is another which always brings me back to my first love when I was 17. He wore it religiously and whenever we'd hug or make out I would smell the scent on him which worked perfectly with his great looks and personality. I recounted this story in another thread some weeks ago which touches on a similar topic of fragrance memories.

    I always associate Dior's Pure Poison with the years 2007 & 2008 as my best friend wore this every single Saturday when we'd go out for dinner and dancing. Whenever she doused herself in that as we were putting the final touches on our ensembles for the evening, I always knew we were about to have an amazing night like we always did.
    Hey
    Yeah, the sex was fun; not sure what happened to him though, the thing kind of just fizzled out after I left the school and I think the last time we spoke I had my eye on someone else so nothing else really came of it

    Ah, those other-people-getting-ready perfumes are the best, aren't they? Do love me some Samsara, and sounds like you'd have some pretty good stories from Pure Poison too

    Does anyone ever forget the scent of the first boy they fell for? Which thread, do you remember? Would like to hear about it
    Yeah, Montgomery Clift could get it

  25. #25
    Basenotes Member theoleigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    back and forth, paris and london
    Posts
    71

    Default Re: Your Life In 5 Fragrances

    Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    That was a marvelous perfume biography! Concise, but with all the telling details of various ages.

    You've made me want to give mine some thought and come back here.
    Thanks, I appreciate it!

    Ah, please do! Look forward to reading that
    Yeah, Montgomery Clift could get it

  26. #26
    Basenotes Member theoleigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    back and forth, paris and london
    Posts
    71

    Default Re: Your Life In 5 Fragrances

    Quote Originally Posted by Nastka View Post
    What lovely posts in this thread. I wish I had a badass grandma. My turn:

    YSL Opium / Estee Lauder Spellbound: my mother used to bathe in those when I was very young, and these are the fragrances I most remember her by. She also used to smoke like a chimney (but always maintained good hygiene and chewed gum afterwards so she didn't reek of stale smoke) so that medley is the scent I most associate with her. I have a partial vintage bottle of Opium for sentimental reasons, but it still doesn't capture her scent when I was very little.

    Lancome Tresor: I always had an interest in fragrance, but I remember this one time I had a sleepover at my cousin's and my aunt let me sleep in her bed. Her pillow smelled so nicely of Tresor - this is the first time that it clicked that perfume could be actually equal to something very pleasant.

    Dior Addict: yes, there were scents before that were gifted to me, but this is the first one I bought with my own money. It was a tester from a local pharmacy and over half price, but still a lot of money for me back then. I fell in love with the jasmine note that lingered underneath the sharp orange blossom. Jasmine is a scent that always reminds me of happy times in my teenage bedroom as I had the bushes flowering outside my bedroom, and it just so happened that Addict was the first fragrance to capture a little bit of that.

    Serge Lutens A La Nuit: this was pretty much the start of my fragrance obsession. It sent me right down a jasmine rabbit hole and gifted me the curiosity about niche. I had a phase where I bought samples of all the niche jasmine scents I could get my hands on. Settled on A La Nuit, Nuda and Sarrasins as my holy trinity.

    Chanel Bois des Iles Parfum: This resonates with me like nothing else. I can't quite explain it, but it's quite visceral in a way that it smells like a living, breathing thing despite not being animalic at all. It gives me goosebumps, and also reminds me of my partner's nape, which of course is the best smelling object in the world I'm not done with my fragrance journey, but this will be very hard to beat for me.

    Bonus - Armani Vetiver Babylone: my better half's favourite scent and first niche. So many happy memories involving this scent.
    Love this, love your taste in fragrances too
    Yeah, Montgomery Clift could get it

  27. #27
    Basenotes Member theoleigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    back and forth, paris and london
    Posts
    71

    Default Re: Your Life In 5 Fragrances

    Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Fascinating thread & post, theoleigh!

    l'll be back when l've given this some thought...

    Thanks! Please do!
    Yeah, Montgomery Clift could get it

  28. #28
    Basenotes Member theoleigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    back and forth, paris and london
    Posts
    71

    Default Re: Your Life In 5 Fragrances

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    LOVE it. Let me work out an angle.

    My first love wore Estee Lauder Beautiful and she loved Armani Eau Pour Homme on me but somehow I ended up married to another girl who wore Ralph Lauren Safari. That didn’t work out eventually for she left me for another and I faded to black, wearing no fragrance during those dark years. Time healed me and I started dating again but only remember a fling with a co-worker who wore the awful smelling Versace Bright Crystal. To cut a long story short I found love again with a lady who rocked Lanvin Rumeur, started a family and watched my fragrance wardrobe explode.
    Love it

    Also love the smelly co-worker element, somehow I feel like that's something a lot of adults have to deal with and somehow it always makes me laugh
    Yeah, Montgomery Clift could get it

  29. #29

    Default Re: Your Life In 5 Fragrances

    Life in 5 Fragrances

    Drakkar Noir: Young, dumb, and.. well. You know. Man high school was great. You know the bottle without the red line had the illegal pheromones in it, right?? The newer one, they changed the formula, took the pheromones out. Didn't work as good. This was my first cologne. I would like to think that I lost my virginity as a direct result of Drakkar.

    Davidoff Cool Water: Stepped it up early in college, as Drakkar was SO 1994. Man, I had no money but I HAD to have this cologne after I tried it at a friends house one summer. Saved money I made one winter bumping chairs as a liftie to buy it, and was so psyched when I got it. I practically bathed in this stuff that first winter, imagine my surprise when the bottle started running low less than a year later! I think my roomates were also stealing it, but it was so hard to tell, EVERYTHING smelled like Cool Water in there... I will also credit this cologne with the joys of casual sex.

    JOOP REALLY thought I had stepped up my game when I scored some JOOP as a junior in college. Nobody had this scent! Plus, this stuff lasted FOREVER and it was so strong that 1 spray would last all day. So of course I used like 4 or 5. Boy, you knew when I was in the campus center, or had been there within the last few hours! I thought I was BMOC because of JOOP.

    Le Male by JPG Post college, "real world". I did not associate this frag with either a club scene, or a gay club scene, despite being introduced to this by my then-GFs BFF, a gay guy who liked clubs. I just loved the smell and she did too. Wore this for years as my go-to. Day, night, summer, winter, didn't matter. JPG FTW!

    Tuscan Leather by TF My introduction to the "real world" of high end fragrances. My current go-to. This cologne sparked my interest in other "niche" colognes, and was the reason I found this place (wanted to try all the other Tom Ford "private blends" as well as other high-end/niche houses) Interestingly, the same guy who got me hooked on Gaultier, got me hooked on this..

  30. #30
    Basenotes Member theoleigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    back and forth, paris and london
    Posts
    71

    Default Re: Your Life In 5 Fragrances

    Quote Originally Posted by mammakay View Post
    5 scents/life:
    Oh! de London - Along with Slicker lip gloss, Carnaby Street-type stockings, Mary Quant everything, and a longish blue cotton pleated uniform skirt that you could artfully roll up into a miniskirt (with practice) and yank it all down in a split second when the nun came after you. Half the junior class smelled like Oh! de London and Slicker. (The guys at the boys school reeked of Brut, Clearasil and faint mothballs, a combo scent which haunts me to this day.)

    College years had no discernible scent other than patchouli and tear gas, which was standard blue jean scent at the time.

    20s: Estee Lauder provided the gateway drugs whereby Aliage morphed into Beautiful and then Private Collection. I was married in Private Collection and divorced in Rive Gauche.

    30s: Were spent in a persistent cloud of YSL Paris, hairspray and cigarette smoke. An awful lot of offices smelled like Poison, hairspray and cigarette smoke. I think the era of people fearing and/or hating perfume on other people might have originated in the 1980s.

    40s, 50s: Tiffany (the original) and Nahema. They don't make 'em like that anymore, literally.

    60s: Everything. 65 bottles at age 65. I have enough perfume to last me for the rest of my life with enough leftover for embalming fluid. I will spray something full-on, every day, and don't give a hoot what anyone else says about it. Guerlain, Lutens, Malle, Hermes, L'artisan, Amouage, whomever. Just bring it on.
    Eveeerything about this is just amazing, please keep on being awesome
    Yeah, Montgomery Clift could get it




Similar Threads

  1. If you had to go through life with just three fragrances...
    By Red_Rose in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 86
    Last Post: 17th February 2019, 12:11 AM
  2. Replies: 66
    Last Post: 21st December 2016, 01:10 AM
  3. Shelf life of Fragrances edp/edt/p
    By mashez in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 4th July 2015, 03:31 AM
  4. Your 6 fragrances for life
    By pearson1995 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 4th June 2015, 03:05 AM
  5. Fragrances in The Second Life...
    By MFfan310 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 22nd March 2007, 02:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000