Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Lime is such a beautiful scent.Why are there so few lime fragrances these days?

For instance,why are there so many grapefruit dominant fragrances, Blue de Chanel being one example but hardly any lime fragrances these days.I'm not referring to pure lime fragrances.Those tend to be too fleeting. What I mean is fragrances that have a strong lime note or are lime based and that perform reasonably well.

Default Re: Lime is such a beautiful scent.Why are there so few lime fragrances these days?

I agree - it is a really nice note for summer (especially Creed EROLFA and VIW). And it works well in the spring when mixed with vetiver (like in Kenneth Cole Vintage Black or Ormonde Jayne Isfarkand). And CC 1872 is one of my favorites.

I would like to see more lime scents and to see it used with some other notes - without it getting swallowed up and barely being noticable.
    Current Winter Favorites:

1. House of Matriarch - Blackbird
    2. Brückner - Aoud 1
    3. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    4. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Generation Man
    5. Creed - Royal Oud
    6. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    7. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Mortal Skin
    8. Creed - Royal English Leather
    9. Ormonde Jayne - Black Gold
    10. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions

Default Re: Lime is such a beautiful scent.Why are there so few lime fragrances these days?

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post

I would like to see more lime scents and to see it used with some other notes - without it getting swallowed up and barely being noticable.
    Yes exactly,something with lime that lasts throughout most of the fragrance.Kind of like a lime Blu de Chanel being just an example.Instead of grapefruit, it would be lime.Also on the topic of lime, whatever happened to all the widely available lime aftershaves.There used to be quite a few of them.

Let's Dance

Nice lime n leathers -

Currently wearing: Memoir Man by Amouage

Guerlain L'eau Boisee has lime, vetiver and woods and smells very nice and refreshing. I agree that there not many scents with lime.
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

My Top Five

1. Vintage Lauder For Men Cologne
    2. D.R. Harris Sandalwood (Aftershave)
    3. Cartier L ' Envol De Cartier EdP
    4. G F Trumper Eucris EdT & Edp
    5. Guerlain Vetiver
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Lime is my favourite citrus, and it's a shame there aren't more lime scents out there.

Lime is also my favorite citrus.
    It may be my favorite fragrance note in general.

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Guerlain L'eau Boisee has lime, vetiver and woods and smells very nice and refreshing. I agree that there not many scents with lime.
    This is good. It has lime front and center. Even Guerlain Homme has a prominent role for lime. Probably the closest thing to a BdC with lime instead of grapefruit. More natural smelling than BdC. Boisee has more lime, but the use of vetiver means it almost feels like TdH with lime replacing the orange at times.

Love lime, and it does seem to have fallen out of favor for grapefruit or more exotic citrus notes.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.
    Currently wearing: Sel Marin by Heeley

Aqua Celestia Forte should be up your alley.

Basenotes Plus

My fav lime is in Set Sail St Barts, followed by VIW. I also enjoy the lime in two of the Nejma Puro flankers, Extreme (key lime) and Intense (Mexican lime).
    Currently wearing: Soul by Costume National

check out atelier pacific lime

Did enjoy some niche but also designer scents containing limes in the past and the only reason for not owning more of them in the current wardrobe is the fact that, as correctly aforementioned on this trend, the tend to be rather underused and overlooked among contemporary masculine and/or unisex fragrances, at least if not throughly searching for this specific note

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by avo1811 View Post
    You beat me to it! It's very nice IMO.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by avo1811 View Post
    I haven’t been keeping up with Atelirr releases, but I did almost post that I wonder why they’d never released a lime scent, considering their skill with citrus. The coconut is probably a no go for me, but Atelier citrus scents are almost always worth checking out.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.
    Currently wearing: Sel Marin by Heeley

That's a good point. It's a great note, but underrepresented in the current market.

My favorite lime note among current releases is the lime in Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisee. Bright, vibrant, and realistic, and paired with mint and rum...it's really good.

And also like the lime in Creed Virgin Island Water a lot, although I wish it lasted longer. Still, it's a great, juicy, crisp, and refreshing lime.

Nicolai's Balle de Match also features a really nice lime note, but the lime is not alone as it's paired with grapefruit, and I'm also not sure if this one is still in production.

Basenotes Plus

Cedrat Envrant from Atelier is also a very nice lime dominated one
    Currently wearing: Viking by Creed

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I'm a fan of the discontinued Lewellyn Stardust For Men. It has the smell of the smaller and rounder fruit of the Mexican (Key) lime which is a bit different than the more common and larger Persian lime fruit smell most lime fragrances seem to have.
    Diapers and politicians should be changed often, and for the same reason..

Essex - But born & bred in good old East London

Really nice lime note in Virgin Island Water.
    My All Time Favorites
    Vintage Fahrenheit - Dior
    Aventus - Creed
    Bois Du Portugal - Creed
    Baccarat Rouge 540 EDP - Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    L'Air Du Desert Marocain - Tauer
    Jubilation XXV - Amouage
    Tuscan Leather - Tom Ford

Wearing Perfume Right Now

I agree lime is delicious smelling.

I too like lime, and do not have any lime fragrances.

I looked up Gurlain Homme L'Eau Boisee after seeing it mentioned in this thread, and was pleasantly surprised to see it's not uber expensive.

I will have to get my nose on this one.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

My best guess is lime is too dry in a current masculine market obsessed with sweet? Maybe when dry comes back in vogue (it's been literally 3 decades since it has been so don't hold your breath), we might get some nice lime scents again.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Ho Hang by Balenciaga

A few suggestions:

Eau de Gaga, don't judge a book buy its cover, this is almost identical to Azure Lime, and very cheap.
    Diesel Green Masculine, a very unliked frag, seemingly. I think it's fantastic. a great blend of lime and vanilla, sweet, but not sickly sweet, has horrible longevity though.
    CK Contradiction, I don't remember much about this one, other than it having a good lime note in the opening.
    Royall Lyme, super underrated simple take on lime.. it's a bit synthetic while also a bit natural, it has decent performance for being such a simple "aftershave" more or less.

I would also love to find a naturally smelling lime. Often times it is clouded by coconut, rum or boozy accords creating the VIW dna. There's really a lot of classics from old school companies though, if you do some research, but I find most to be France, or UK based brands, and very hard to find samples of in the US.
    "God may exist, but science can explain the universe without the need for a creator." -Stephen Hawking

If you're a fan of lime scents, I'd recommend both Aramis Cool Blend and Bond no. 9 I Love New York Father's Day.

Freed from BN Institution

Lime is a really nice note. I have Creed Virigin Island Water as option for a lime based scent although blended in with the other dominating notes.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Iris Ganache by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    Bond no. 9 I Love New York Father's Day.
    +1 -- This one is really nice.
    Current Winter Favorites:

1. House of Matriarch - Blackbird
    2. Brückner - Aoud 1
    3. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    4. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Generation Man
    5. Creed - Royal Oud
    6. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    7. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Mortal Skin
    8. Creed - Royal English Leather
    9. Ormonde Jayne - Black Gold
    10. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions

Currently wearing: R by Révillon

I'm hoping to get my hands on Let Vetiver Bluff by Living pretty soon here. Really enticed by the creamy lime in the top notes I have read about.
    There isn't anything better than smelling good and being complimented on how good you smell!

"We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time." ~ Huey Lewis & The News
    "If you don't stop and take a look around once in awhile, you might miss it." ~ Ferris Bueller

Love Guerlain's Homme l'Eau Boisee for its lime. Also Guerlain's Homme EDP has a long lasting lime note (formerly known as Homme Intense).

Kenzo Jungle Homme is a great spicy, woody perfume with a nice lime note.

Mancera - Lemon Line has a nice lime accord thrown in the mix with lemon, lavender and geranium. Nobile 1942 - Estroverso also features the note but its mixed in with a lot of other citric/herb notes and smells a lot like Coca Cola. Issey Miyake - Bleu Astral has a great prominent lime accord which is tempered with coriander over a woody base and is worth a sniff.

I'd like to smell a pure, fresh, zingy lime dominated scent as well that focuses on that note but can guess it would be hard to extend the fleeting nature of this note without making it feel unnaturally thick and therefore cloying.

I am the only one who ever bigs up the lime in Nouveau Bowery by Bond #9 -- I love it