Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Testing Paco Rabanne Pour Homme tonight...the ladies reactions! :)

LOL!

I'm laughing guys. I decided to test my bottle of Paco Rabanne Pour Homme tonight after work. This is one of the fragrances I got when I bought 10 in one day.

IMO it smells like a cross between shaving cream and bar soap. It's a pleasant and clean smell, but nothing I consider mind blowing. However, as soon as I got close to my GF, she went WILD for it. Exclaiming it to be super sexy, one of her favorites that I own, etc.

Just a bit ago, I had my aunt sniff test me, and her immediate reaction was an eye popping "WOW!" She loved it and jokingly said that I need to be careful wearing that around women. LOL!

I am laughing and kind of shocked that both of them had such a strong reaction to this. In fact, it was the strongest reaction that I've seen either of them have. Don't get me wrong, I like it, but I wouldn't consider it "sexy" by any means. I suppose growing up shaving and using bar soap until a few years ago, I am used to these scents and think of them as clean and masculine, but not necessarily one that the ladies would go for.

I generally wear a different fragrance to work every day, and have yet to even have anyone comment on my fragrance. I am thinking I will wear this one tomorrow, and see if anyone says anything.

Yes, I put a "click bait" title on this thread, but it's because it gave me a chuckle based on the type of scent it is. I guess what we men think may be attractive to women is different than what they find attractive in a scent. Small sample size here, but I generally use my GF and aunt as my "fragrance testers". My aunt is especially fun because she is much older and isn't into fragrances at all.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Testing Paco Rabanne Pour Homme tonight...the ladies reactions! :)

I’ve never received such strong reactions from wearing PRPH but I now know what to wear around SO & Aunt Klown.

Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I actually like this one a lot and not necessarily surprised by the overwhelming positive reaction it got from you GF and aunt. The female folk in my brood seem to love it also.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Whatever works. I don't dislike Paco Rabanne ph, but I'm not crazy about it either. But the style was very popular in the 70s-80s, so at least your aunt could be reacting to those memories.

Fougeres do smell indeed clean and barbershoppy, so to speak. The causation was likely from fougeres to barbershop, as fougeres smell clean and so the style trickled down to functional products for men.

cacio

Interesting reactions.
    I've got the old formulation and the new one. The old one is more intense in that barbershop element than the newer version.

I've always thought it an okay scent. Though, on the few occasions I've come across other guys wearing it, I always thought it more impressive than what I would have rated it on myself.
    Regards,
    Renato

Thank you for sharing the story, glad to hear that a great classic like this gets such good feedback

How's the longevity with the current formula?

Loved the story. Can't say the same about the fragrance. For me, it is a bit out of style. It's almost there though.
    Currently wearing: Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

iconic scent imo.
    Currently wearing: Good Life by Davidoff

The real joke’s on you, buddy! They were just jerking your chain, LOL.

Can't stand this stuff. Recently bought a bottle to give it another whirl, and I gave it away quite fast. Strangely I have grown to love the majority of 70s and 80s masculines, but I just can't wrap my nose around this one. Coming from someone who generally loves green frags, both old school, and modern. There's an awful sharp note in here, I can't even describe what it is, but it ruins the scent from start to end for me. I wanna say it's partially in the lavender, mixed with an herbal note. I don't really find this fragrance to be green, despite its bottle and notes. I consider it more of a fougere than a chypre, but it may just be smack dab in the middle.

You ever read when someone says "I really wanted to like this one", ya that's me for sure on this. Maybe the vintage juice is way better?
    "Where there's gold, there's a gold digger" -Dashboard Confessional

Never smelled it, but based on many things it is compared to, I don't think it would be quite my style. But glad that it received such good reactions for you!
    Current Winter Favorites:

1. House of Matriarch - Blackbird
    2. Brückner - Aoud 1
    3. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    4. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Generation Man
    5. Creed - Royal Oud
    6. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    7. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Mortal Skin
    8. Creed - Royal English Leather
    9. Ormonde Jayne - Black Gold
    10. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Can't stand this stuff. Recently bought a bottle to give it another whirl,
    Paco Rabanne Pour Homme, whatever they have in the stores from the last decade is a total mess, one of the worst reformulations it is like totally different cologne with nasty sharp chemical note in the opening.
    try to get bottle from the 80s.
    1976 - Yatagan Caron
    1977 - Snuff by Schiaparelli
    1981 - Kouros YSL
    1988 - Fahrenheit Dior
    1980 - Patou Pour Homme
    1987 - Lapidus Pour Homme
    1981 - Quorum Antonio Puig
    1985 - Derby de Guerlain
    2014 - Dior Homme Parfum
    1987 - Ho Hang Club Balenciaga

Quote Originally Posted by peter4ptv View Post
    Paco Rabanne Pour Homme, whatever they have in the stores from the last decade is a total mess, one of the worst reformulations it is like totally different cologne with nasty sharp chemical note in the opening.
    Thanks for clarifying. I will look into it.
    "Where there's gold, there's a gold digger" -Dashboard Confessional

Quote Originally Posted by peter4ptv View Post
    +1 -- It's permanently on the 'reduced' shelves at my local shopping centre --it has been 'battered' -- was once great though

but if it works for you and the women in your life --- who's complaining ?

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I've had similar experiences with Monsieur Houbigant/Monsieur Musk, which is nearly the same age. It's the last thing I suspected anyone to compliment, but I've gotten more positive feedback from it than things made in the last 10 years or 10x the price.
    oh look, I have a signature

Blog Entries

I enjoy it and have worn it a lot in the past. However, I think it can get a little rough in the middle notes.
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator
    Currently wearing: Cuir Andalou by Rania J

Thank you all for the funny responses, as well as sharing your experiences. This thread was intended to be a fun, tongue in cheek type of deal, and reading through it had me LOL'ing in real life.

Now, I'm trying to decide what to test tonight...

I like it a lot. I tested it side by side with Kouros and found them both extremely similar, although Kouros has that incense "ancient temple" accord that PRPH doesn't have. Kouros also had double the performance/lasting power and they were the same price so I just went with Kouros.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack103 View Post
    I like it a lot. I tested it side by side with Kouros and found them both extremely similar, although Kouros has that incense "ancient temple" accord that PRPH doesn't have. Kouros also had double the performance/lasting power and they were the same price so I just went with Kouros.
    Interesting. I have never seen these two compared before. I am very interested in getting my nose on Kouros, as it gets mentioned quite a lot online. I'm hoping to get a sample of it in a bit. I will be curious to see how they compare.

By the way, I did wear this to work today and nobody even commented. Not that I expected it really. Nobody has ever commented on any of the fragrances I have worn, and I have worn some pretty loud stuff to work (Ultra Male, Spicebomb Extreme, Le Male, Armani Code Profumo, Mugler Kryptomint, etc). Oh well. I was quite surprised that nobody commented on MM By the Fireplace, as it's such a unique and "non traditional cologne" smelling IMO. However, I did go light on it, as I was thinking the smoke smell may offend someone in an office setting.

I tell my GF that as I work through my testers, I will have to buy a full bottle of whatever fragrance lands me my first unsolicited comment by a non-family member or close friend. The testers I have are mostly all fragrances I have picked, so I like them all well enough to warrant the purchase to commemorate the event.

The celebrity fragrance thread solidified my choice for tomorrow, Sean John Unforgivable, which I already own a full bottle of.

Right on! Just reminded me, I was in a department store trying various things, after a chat with the Aqua di Parma SA, I was also pleasantly surprised that it was the one she picked out at the best of the bunch I had on wrists, cards sides.
    Also on the same day, visiting my brother after his little Penhaligons and Floris haul, the PR again was the most robust.
    Currently wearing: Dunhill for Men by Dunhill

This was my dad’s signature scent while I was growing up. The associations for me are therefore quite strong. I’ve had a few vintage bottles but was disappointed with current formulations.

This thread prompted me to revisit it again in the shops. And I have to say unless the tester I picked up is really old, the scent is back to its former glory! I want to wear it properly though so that I can test longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    This was my dad’s signature scent while I was growing up. The associations for me are therefore quite strong. I’ve had a few vintage bottles but was disappointed with current formulations.

This thread prompted me to revisit it again in the shops. And I have to say unless the tester I picked up is really old, the scent is back to its former glory! I want to wear it properly though so that I can test longevity.
    When I was in high school in 1984, my best friend and I used to browse through GQ and dream about the stuff we'd have one day. Paco Rabanne was the scent he day dreamed about. I believe he picked up a bottle shortly thereafter, how I don't know, as the guy was quite poor. But he did have edgy, current tastes! PR always reminds me of him.
    Currently wearing: Prada L'Homme by Prada

I'll have to give the sport version I have a wear to my office....

My SO also loves it (and it's killer when she's wearing stuff like this btw ... ). I don't find the new formula THAT bad, to be honest. I own a mid-seventies bottle that's much more nuanced, with a deep mossy, sandal, patch, oakmoss drydown, tobacco/cloves things and a cool bergamot top/mid. But I'm enjoying the current one as something like an EdC with some oldschool punch. I think there are designer scents of recent days with less dynamism. There are things more worse, than a splash of current PRpH on summer evenings.

Dependent

The reason they reacted that way is that PRPH is MANLY.

It's not wishy-washy or metro or anything like that. They're reacting to pure masculinity!

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    The reason they reacted that way is that PRPH is MANLY.

It's not wishy-washy or metro or anything like that. They're reacting to pure masculinity!
    I tend to agree.Every woman is different of course but a lot of ladies still prefer a more masculine fragrance on men.I do not want to generalize however I will.Women over a certain age let's say over age 40 tend to prefer the more manly fragrances.Women under let's say age 30 will tend to go more for the more modern less masculine fragrances.Again though it really depends on the individual woman.

Basenotes Plus

First time reading this, I must have missed it. Good story. Agree, she's gotta be in to macho masculines. How does she like Brut?
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

This was actually my grandfather's cologne.. I'm almost 50. I'm sure I'd love the vintage.. as I pretty much love anything from the 70's.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by masonjarjar View Post
    This was actually my grandfather's cologne.. I'm almost 50. I'm sure I'd love the vintage.. as I pretty much love anything from the 70's.
    No doubt in my mind you’d love vintage Paco, Mason.