Code of Conduct

Default How long will it take for light (lamp light) and heat to damage a fragrance?

Just bought a decant of Creation E by Roja Parfums (10ml in a 30ml bottle) and I let it sit on my night stand for about a week.

The room where I kept it (my bedroom) is mostly dark, but I have a small lamp that stays on all night sometimes. I also had the heat in the house up high a few of those days (central heat, not directly next to a heat source).

Is this enough to damage a fragrance? It smells a bit different since the last time I used it.

Missing Oakmoss

Default Re: How long will it take for light (lamp light) and heat to damage a fragrance?

I'm sure your fragrance is fine.Think of how much light testers are exposed to in retail stores, sometimes for several months. Neither light nor central heat in your home will have damaged your perfume after only one week (in general, heat is much less damaging to fragrance than prolonged exposure to sunlight). The difference you detect in the smell of your fragrance is most likely to a projection of your fear that the bottle has been compromised. For peace of mind, in the future store your bottle in a closet, drawer or cabinet - but rest easy about its present condition.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bķzios Brasil

Default Re: How long will it take for light (lamp light) and heat to damage a fragrance?

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    For peace of mind, in the future store your bottle in a closet, drawer or cabinet - but rest easy about its present condition.
    Sound advice.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I'm sure your fragrance is fine.Think of how much light testers are exposed to in retail stores, sometimes for several months. Neither light nor central heat in your home will have damaged your perfume after only one week (in general, heat is much less damaging to fragrance than prolonged exposure to sunlight). The difference you detect in the smell of your fragrance is most likely to a projection of your fear that the bottle has been compromised. For peace of mind, in the future store your bottle in a closet, drawer or cabinet - but rest easy about its present condition.
    Thanks for the response.

I was a bit worried because the top notes smelled a lot different. Sort of a sour tinge. Not as sweet. The dry down and base are the same though.

Maybe it smelled so weird because I'd just finished brushing my teeth (sort of like food tasting weird right after brushing).

It's an expensive decant also ($100 for 10ml). Maybe that's another reason I'm tripping.

Thanks again.

Basenotes Plus

It smells the same as it did a week ago. It would not change this quickly. Your perception is always another thing. Some things smell different at different times. Even peoples moods are purportedly responsible for this, though I have never experienced such things.

$100 for 10ml... DANG!!! Outside my budget!
    Itís tragic to think that heroic manís great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Sound advice.
    I'm buying a mini fridge or a wine color, lol.

I'm not taking any chances once I start getting some niche bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    It smells the same as it did a week ago. It would not change this quickly. Your perception is always another thing. Some things smell different at different times. Even peoples moods are purportedly responsible for this, though I have never experienced such things.

$100 for 10ml... DANG!!! Outside my budget!
    Yeah man, $100 for 10ml.

The decant was $85, but I got the rush delivery for an extra $13 ($98 total technically). So the frag itself is $85 for 10ml.

I'm usually pretty cheap but I had to have this one after getting a 1ml sample ($12 lol). I couldn't afford the $550, 50ml bottle, so I got the decant.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bķzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Tyronious View Post
    I'm buying a mini fridge or a wine color, lol.

I'm not taking any chances once I start getting some niche bottles.
    That would be a good idea.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Depends on storage, but I've had bottles sit out for decades with very little, if any noticeable change. And that is how it should be.

Perfume will "settle" after a few days in transport, where it was likely exposed to extremes of temperatures. I generally never spray something this time of year when I just get it in the mail, as it's often too cold to get a decent reading on it.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des GarÁons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Ages

Stores have bottles and testers exposed to artificial light all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Ages

Stores have bottles and testers exposed to artificial light all the time
    Precisely. Aromachemicals are chosen, among others, for their stability. But perception has a way of creating ‘something’ out of ‘nothing’.

If you get a fridge or cooler for your perfumes, it would be best to use them and put them back straight away. I've heard that some people take them out the fridge, leave them for awhile, then put them back in. Over time those constant temp fluctuations might actually damage the perfume.
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

Quote Originally Posted by HauteParfumGourmand View Post
    If you get a fridge or cooler for your perfumes, it would be best to use them and put them back straight away. I've heard that some people take them out the fridge, leave them for awhile, then put them back in. Over time those constant temp fluctuations might actually damage the perfume.
    Yeah, and if you go that route, get a wine cooler. A feel like a mini-fridge would be a little too cold, but I have no actual evidence to back that up.

Also, FWIW, I've stored a few scents in a bathroom cabinet for years (temp changes from showers), and have had scents sit out in sub-zero temperatures when delivered earlier than expected, and none has ever smelled "off" to me.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Moustache by Rochas

Missing Oakmoss

A lot of people do like to keep their bottles in a cooler - I have no experience with that method of storage, but I can tell you that my collection is in a closed wooden cabinet at regular room temperature, and even decades-old vintage perfumes have remained in excellent condition.

Freed from BN Institution

A lot of people do like to keep their bottles in a cooler - I have no experience with that method of storage, but I can tell you that my collection is in a closed wooden cabinet at regular room temperature, and even decades-old vintage perfumes have remained in excellent condition.
    I do pretty much the same thing except I use plastic drawers to store them. I try to keep the bottles in their respective boxes if applicable. Never had a problem.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: 17/17 Damarose by Xerjoff