Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: great fragrances with horrible topnote that you just have to wait through to get to the good par

Xerjoff Mefisto.
    I't the type of scent that is beastly when you spray it on, and that never works for me with such clean scents. I associate those type of strong openings to cleaning products. But wonderful when it calms down.

Default Re: great fragrances with horrible topnote that you just have to wait through to get to the good par

Quote Originally Posted by common scents View Post
    Or Black (current) : Something weird in the beginning but very nice dry down.
    Agreed on Or Black. For me, it's the really strong anise note. There's also something sparkly and fruity in the top - I wish I could have just that and no anise liqueur. The heart and dry down are great though.

Que scay-je?

Knize Ten (vtg), though I like the heavy animalic opening as well but it's quite different compared to the smooth drydown.
    My Top '11' :

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Tom Ford: Ombré Leather
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraîcheur)
    - Armani: Acqua di Gio Profumo
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - Amouage: Interlude

Quote Originally Posted by MELVCMS01 View Post
    if i don't like the opening of a fragrance - i dont buy it.
    I agree with this statement. If it weren't for the intense smoky opening of Hiram Green Hyde I would have absolutely bought it. I love smoky fragrances, but this opening smells like destruction.

Basenotes Plus

Id argue that if i dont like the topnotes it is merely good and not great in my opinion. But the two that instantly leap to mind are:

1. Club de Nuit Intense. So fake lemony. It really does smell of some type of cleaner. Drydown is nice though.
    2. Tabac Vert. Ive been carrying this sample with me for 2 weeks and just havent yet got around to retesting it. I like it a lot, but i get paint thinner for about 5 minutes when i first apply it.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    1. Club de Nuit Intense. So fake lemony. It really does smell of some type of cleaner. Drydown is nice though.

I think I prefer the Lemon Pledge.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Currently wearing: Vibrant Leather by Zara

While by no means even remotely horrible and allowing to at least partly guess the quality and the complexity of the further scent development, always perceived the opening of Heritage as an almost underwhelming, pale and while decent, rather linear shadow.
    At least compared the spectacular and nuanced sense of beauty this one reveals through its mid and base phases of evolution.
    Currently wearing: Ambré Noble by Zara

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    While by no means even remotely horrible and allowing to at least partly guess the quality and the complexity of the further scent development, always perceived the opening of Heritage as an almost underwhelming, pale and while decent, rather linear shadow.
    At least compared the spectacular and nuanced sense of beauty this one reveals through its mid and base phases of evolution.
    This is so different from my experience of Heritage that I'm having trouble understanding.

When I spray on the current "wood cap" version of Heritage EDT, I get an explosion of spices and citrus and woods that overwhelms my nose. It has, by far, the most dizzying opening of any scent I own, and I can scarcely get my bearings (though it keeps pulling me back in for another sniff). It takes about thirty minutes to an hour to settle and transform into a smooth, gentlemanly scent.

I've only casually sniffed the EDP and it seems to fit closer to your description, but that's also why I passed on it.
    Swap Thread | Sale Thread

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    This is so different from my experience of Heritage that I'm having trouble understanding.

When I spray on the current "wood cap" version of Heritage EDT, I get a explosion of spices and citrus and woods that overwhelms my nose. It has, by far, the most dizzying opening of any scent I own, and I can scarcely get my bearings (though it keeps pulling me back in for another sniff). It takes about thirty minutes to an hour to settle and transform into a smooth, gentlemanly scent.

I've only casually sniffed the EDP and it seems to fit closer to your description, but that's also why I passed on it.

Maybe, at least in part, mileage might vary due to only having used, tested and owned so far the 1992 vintage EDT and, while having not detected any even faint spoilage of the top notes, the dizzying effect you so accurately, vividly and amply describe becomes noticeable to my nose when this fragrance rewards the patience granted to and the time spent with this one almost certainly (based on personal perceptions) after having (personally) reached its mid and base section.
    Currently wearing: Ambré Noble by Zara

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Tic Tac Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MELVCMS01 View Post
    if i don't like the opening of a fragrance - i dont buy it.
    I'm the exact opposite. I don't mind if an opening doesn't appeal to me if I love the rest... but if I don't like the base of a scent, I won't even wear it which means there's no way I'd even consider buying it. For example, I'm not crazy about the opening of Terre d'Hermes Parfum, but I love the rest. I don't mind a few minutes of meh followed by 8 hours of wow.

I can't think of any scents I love with openings I hate though, but quite a few have openings I don't love followed by a heart & base that I do love.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    None really, but Helmut Lang Eau de Parfum has a much better drydown to my nose than the opening.
    +1
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    CK One
    Fahrenheit
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Aqua Universalis
    Prada L'Homme
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Green Irish Tweed
    Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Pomelo Paradis
    Aqua Celestia
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Maybe, at least in part, mileage might vary due to only having used, tested and owned so far the 1992 vintage EDT and, while having not detected any even faint spoilage of the top notes, the dizzying effect you so accurately, vividly and amply describe becomes noticeable to my nose when this fragrance rewards the patience granted to and the time spent with this one almost certainly (based on personal perceptions) after having (personally) reached its mid and base section.
    The '92 vintage--which would be now well over two decades old--might not have "spoiled," but it might have mellowed. (This is one reason I mistrust vintage bottles and stay away from them except for discontinued scents or scents that have been reformulated beyond recognition; you just can't be sure that what you're smelling is actually representative of how it was meant to smell.)

If you get a chance to sample the current EDT, let me know. I'd be curious if you have the same experience as you do with the vintage.
    Swap Thread | Sale Thread

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Tic Tac Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    I think its interesting to note that the majority of fragrances cited above that have this facet are 'niche'. It wouldn't be in the best [economic] interests of 'mall' fragrances to be this non-conformist (Kouros and M7 vintage are worthy exceptions).
    Designer fragrances tend to be top-loaded, meaning, the perfumer put most of the work (and the budget!) into the top notes. Many of the pseudo-niche houses that are basically overpriced designers are doing that too. I can understand why they do it (even though I hate it). So many people only care about the opening blast, and at the mall, the opening blast is what sells. To me, that's like going out for a three course meal but only caring about the salad.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    CK One
    Fahrenheit
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Aqua Universalis
    Prada L'Homme
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Green Irish Tweed
    Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Pomelo Paradis
    Aqua Celestia
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT

Well not horrible, but I struggle with the opening of Mitsouko edp (current), but LOVE the drydown.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

A recent encounter with vintage Intoxication by D'Orsay (1938) left me feeling this way. Very sour masculine citrus top that smelled like it belonged in something more akin to Moustache (which I like), but not done as gracefully, but then it becomes a very sharp white floral chypre with a delightful savon finish. Dirty to clean.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Wild Country by Avon

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Chanel Antaeus
    I think this would be my reply as well.

The opening to Encens et Lavande by Serge Lutens is a gigantic disappointment.

And then you wait for a few minutes...and the magic happens.

not that keen on mancera black to black on the top note as it is heavy on rose water, but does mellow and then grows for me.

Blog Entries

The somewhat fecal patchouli top note in Chanel Coromandel ‘s edt is rancid, but the white chocolate accord underneath it is beautiful. Also, the top aldehydic top note in Chanel’s Bois de Iles(edt) is harsh, but the sandalwood base note underneath which eventually develops is probably one of the best in the game.

Freed from BN Institution

The animalic opening in Creed Bois de Santal. The sandalwood base drydown is what truly shines.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Sous Le Vent by Guerlain