Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: The Big Issue - Wearing The Other Gender ?

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    Came for the social constructs... Stayed for the drunken whores.
    I love you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally my big issue is with the unisex fragrances. Conceptionally, you can make heavy hitters marketing on either side of the aisle, but when designer's go unisex they lack appeal. The result ends up being lackluster due to a blend of the easiest to wear elements of the male and female fragrances. There are exceptions and there are female/male fragrances that wear better on the other sex but not many. It feels like a concession rather than a shared piece of art

Florabellio by diptyque is a very feminine scent that I would wear.

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    In a recent particular thread I started, a member, (who shall remain nameless) said, "you are one of the-very-few who wears feminines". It doesn't bother me what people say generally, but this irritated me because I was sure there were more than 'the-very-few' who wear female fragrances as well as mens here on basenotes.
    Over the 14 years here on basentoes there have been several comments from various members where I felt there was stigmatisation concerning the subject of guys who also wear fragrances marketed to women. They were definitely 'poo-pooed' by certain male members for doing so.

For this reason I thought it would be worth starting a thread (and also a basenotes group for males who do also wear female fragrances).

It's just my take and I understand you obviously disagree.
    There's always going to be a certain group of Basenoters who disapprove and try to belittle people who wear fragrances marketed to the opposite gender. The comment that you quoted, perfect example of a jerk trying to belittle. It's a fragrance enthusiast site for goodness sake.

A lot of the time it's the same old people ( Renato, guys who tout the "Real Men Only" gimmick,....etc). One reason why I miss old timers like bbBD and SorceryofScent is that they would give it right back to them ( wish those two would have respected the mods, who do their best). Much better than the new breed of over dramatic boys or the need to create a special group.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Pomegranate Noir, Midnight in Paris EDP, Feeling Man, Essence of John Galliano, Azzaro pour Homme (vintage),...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Aramis Calligraphy Rose, Penhaligon's Esprit de Roi, PdE Ambre Russe, Jil Sander Feeling Man ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Basenotes Plus

The best florals are for women supposedly which is silly.

I do love perfumes marketed for women. I really do. But there are a few which I do wear, ultra-feminine frags that make me self conscious all day long. These aren't perfumes I feel like I can slip into comfortably even though I love how they smell, and wish I could.

Poison, L'heure Bleue, Joy, 1000 anyone?

As a disclaimer, I wear Shalimar, Chypre Palatin, Iris Silver Mist and Mitsouko on the regular.

Just received a vintage extrait of Joy and I'm wondering how often I get to use this. Any other guys have experience using it at all?

Edit: There's a lone bottle in my collection I've not yet got the guts to try on in public, which I think is very unlike myself. The infamous Fracas (extrait).

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Sorry, Russel, I won't be able to make our meeting
    But...I've already blow-dried my Lederhosen

It can be hard to forget and move past all the rubbish that gets fed down your throat from years of existing and being raised in society, but that big-issue is really a non-issue at all. Go nuts, wear whatever you like, do crazy sh*it, and maybe you'll enjoy life even more by getting over internalised hang-ups that only serve to make you insecure and give you complexes about stuff you don't even need to have a complex about in the first place. But you know, if it still makes you uncomfortable, there's still good stuff to be found in the men's aisles for now.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Devon View Post
    It can be hard to forget and move past all the rubbish that gets fed down your throat from years of existing and being raised in society, but that big-issue is really a non-issue at all. Go nuts, wear whatever you like, do crazy sh*it, and maybe you'll enjoy life even more by getting over internalised hang-ups that only serve to make you insecure and give you complexes about stuff you don't even need to have a complex about in the first place. But you know, if it still makes you uncomfortable, there's still good stuff to be found in the men's aisles for now.
    Exactly.

oops double post
    Currently wearing: Black Orchid by Tom Ford

It's all marketing- everything is marketing. Wear what you think smells good on you. We only go around once in this life.
    I noticed some under 100 & thereabouts posts folks on this thread. Welcome to all!
    Currently wearing: Black Orchid by Tom Ford

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    It's all marketing- everything is marketing. Wear what you think smells good on you. We only go around once in this life.
    I noticed some under 100 & thereabouts posts folks on this thread. Welcome to all!
    Hey there, Auntie Knit! Good to see you.

You always remind me of Guerlain Vetiver Pour Elle, b/c you gave me that sample that led me to buy a bottle. I never thought the men's was FBW, but Pour Elle is amazing stuff to my nose. I forgot all about that. Thanks again!
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Wanted by Azzaro