Code of Conduct

Default Identifying Notes

I realize this is totally a newbie question but I figured with all of the expertise Iíve seen in this forum in my short time here, you all might be able to help point me in the right direction.

I have been slowly and methodically building my collection of fragrances. My tact has been to stop by department stores and smell various offerings available, educate myself on this forum, and order samples of fragrances that I want to try. Finally, I buy a full bottle of my favorite offerings and include them into my rotation.

I have noticed that there are certain notes that I really enjoy and would be interested in sampling other fragrances with similar notes. My dilemma is that 3/4 of the time I have no clue which note(s) I am smelling that I like! For example, I have no clue what Tonka bean smells like, or bergamot for that matter. So how could I possibly identify it?

I wore Creed Viking today (one of my favorites). I sprayed some in my beard and one of the base notes has stuck with me since this morning, just wafting under my nose. Each time I get a whiff Iím in heaven. And it really bugs me that I have no idea what I am smelling.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Is there a samples book or raw ingredient Whitmanís sampler of various notes that can be purchased so I can start to pair a scent with a name?

Thanks!
    P

Freed from BN Institution

Default Re: Identifying Notes

Fragrantica has descriptions of most fragrance notes and what they should smell like and feature fragrances with that note.

As to your example Tonka Bean: https://www.fragrantica.com/notes/Tonka-Bean-73.html

Also do take a look at the Note Pad: Single Note Exploration forum. This will be useful in exploring individual notes as well.
    http://www.basenotes.net/forums/107-...e-Exploration?
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: 17/17 Damarose by Xerjoff

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Also do take a look at the Note Pad: Single Note Exploration forum. This will be useful in exploring individual notes as well.
    http://www.basenotes.net/forums/107-...e-Exploration?
    +1 This
    Also, if you are just dying to have a frame of reference, here is a way
    https://shop.perfumersapprentice.com...notes-kit.aspx
    Itís tragic to think that heroic manís great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

Basenotes Member

To add on to the excellent points already posted, be aware that ďscentsĒ also get created, seemingly mystically, for note combinations. So itís not as simple as getting an ingredient list.

For those who enjoy wine tasting, there are kits to help beginners identify notes in wine. Perhaps something like that might help you start to identify what it is youíre smelling. Good luck and enjoy the educational process!

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the advice.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bķzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by jrr2ok View Post
    Perhaps something like that might help you start to identify what it is you’re smelling. Good luck and enjoy the educational process!
    Yes, a kit like that below might be something that could help him through his discovery:

Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

I probably should have explained what my link was instead of just saying click here. It is perfumer's apprentice website. They offer a note kit and book for learning. Here is the text from the website:

Perfumery Notes Kit **

Created especially for those interested in learning about perfumery "notes", we present 40 of the most popular ingredients used in perfumery, pre-diluted and ready to sniff! This kit is perfect for lovers of fine perfume who wish to learn more about some of the ingredients that are actually used. Learn about the history of perfumery and use of many of these notes.

For those who would like to simply purchase the literature provided in this kit, you may choose to purchase the book separately as a hard copy or as an E-book.

Click the product name above for additional information.

Perfumery Notes Book - Hard Copy - $20.00 (USD)
    Perfumery Notes Ebook - $15.00 (USD)
    Perfumery Notes Kit - Complete - $95.00 (USD)
    Itís tragic to think that heroic manís great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron