Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Default Re: New Diptyque fragrance Eau de Minte

Tried it today; on paper and on skin, about two hours ago. First impressions can be deceptive, but they are good in this case.

If you want to know how it smells, this is what I thought within a minute of spraying and sniffing: Rive Gauche pour Homme Minthé

The mint is there throughout from start; it's as far removed from possible toothpaste associations as it can be. In terms of a note (just the mint note, not the fragrance), it is similar to Menthe Fraiche (Heeley). The patchouli develops later, but is dialed way back. There's a touch of geranium. In fact, the blend smells very similar to Rive Gauche pour Homme.

It is less minty than Geranium pour Monsieur.

In terms of style, it is sort of an older Diptyque, the older EdTs like Philosykos and Tam Dao. It smells like sort of a modern mint twist on an aromatic fougere from the 70s or 90s or even early 2000s (note I leave out 80s, this is not hairy-chested, but subtle and refined).

I also smell some similarities with the central accord in TF's Beau de Jour, except that that one is bigger, bolder and more brash and has lavender (here instead it is mint).

This smells a little autumnal (the way Geranium pour Monsieur does as well). This is on the fresher side, but not a typical 'fresh' fragrance, and definitely not particularly summery.

I like this way more than Fleur de Peau (which was actually nice, but I couldn't smell the musks on my skin) or Tempo (I never understood the hype around that one, and never got much of a patchouli).

Now the mint is more or less gone, but the dry down smells nice (there is a restrained, clean patch). But I wouldn't expect mint to last after about three hours or so.

Quite nice; worth investigating.

Caveat: I generally like true to form aromatic fougeres, which probably biases my impressions by 5-10%.
    Last edited by freewheelingvagabond; 26th April 2019 at 11:23 PM.
    Summer Rotation: Acqua di Gio Profumo, Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche, Sel Marin, Castile, Mugler Cologne, Allure Homme Sport Cologne

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Sounds....okay?

The patch note you speak of worries me. There's nothing I like less than a good old hippie patch note funking up a clean scent.

But I'm still very curious about it. Good to know it's out there. Thanks for your impressions!
    No hippie patch;

I was thinking after smelling it on my wrist: I could wear this to a job interview.
    Summer Rotation: Acqua di Gio Profumo, Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche, Sel Marin, Castile, Mugler Cologne, Allure Homme Sport Cologne

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

@ freewheelingvagabond: I'm very intrigued now, since your impressions of Tempo and Fleur de Peau are literally bang on with what I've experienced when I tried them. I really, really need to try this now!

Quote Originally Posted by Nastka View Post
    @ freewheelingvagabond: I'm very intrigued now, since your impressions of Tempo and Fleur de Peau are literally bang on with what I've experienced when I tried them. I really, really need to try this now!
    I feel the same. FWV don't mess around when reviewing aromatic fougeres.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Tried it today; on paper and on skin, about two hours ago. First impressions can be deceptive, but they are good in this case.

If you want to know how it smells, this is what I though within a minute of spraying and sniffing: Rive Gauche pour Homme Minthé

The mint is there throughout from start; it's as far removed from possible toothpaste associations as it can be. In terms of a note (just the mint note, not the fragrance), it is similar to Menthe Fraiche (Heeley). The patchouli develops later, but is dialed way back. There's a touch of geranium. In fact, the blend smells very similar to Rive Gauche pour Homme.

In terms of style, it is sort of an older Diptyque, the older EdTs like Philosykos and Tam Dao. It smells like sort of a modern mint twist on an aromatic fougere from the 70s or 90s or even early 2000s (note I leave out 80s, this is not hairy-chested, but subtle and refined).

I also smell some similarities with the central accord in TF's Beau de Jour, except that that one is bigger, bolder and more brash and has lavender (here instead it is mint).

This smells a little autumnal (the way Geranium pour Monsieur does as well). This is on the fresher side, but not a typical 'fresh' fragrance, and definitely not particularly summery.

I like this way more than Fleur de Peau (which was actually nice, but I couldn't smell the musks on my skin) or Tempo (I never understood the hype around that one, and never got much of a patchouli).

Now the mint is more or less gone, but the dry down smells nice (there is a restrained, clean patch). But I wouldn't expect mint to last after about three hours or so.

Caveat: I generally like true to form aromatic fougeres, which probably biases my impressions by 5-10%.
    Sounds great
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    I tried this today at Barneys. Not a mint fan abut this one does not have too much of it. Mint shows up later in mid phase and for a short while. The development is interesting. I also smell 90s style calone and patch here in the drydown.
    This one has promise and will need to wear it again to see if it is FBW.

If you want to know how it smells, this is what I thought within a minute of spraying and sniffing: Rive Gauche pour Homme Minthé

More often than not, my tastes tend to be very similar to both of you so I'm very intrigued by this one.

"Rive Gauche Pour Homme Minthe?" Take my money now! Sounds great.

Thank you for the review. My mind is changed again. Rive Gauche with mint? Hell ya!
    "I am not trendy" -Thierry Mugler
    Currently wearing: Jaguar Pace by Jaguar

Thanks for the nice piece on this. I’m also quite keen on trying this.

Do we have availability days yet for the UK? Thinking of passing by my favourite Diptyque/SpaceNK store soon.
    Currently wearing: Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

Sounds worth checking out. Nice description, Freewheeling.

Thanks!
    Currently wearing: Lui by Guerlain

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by deltasun View Post
    Got a sample and tried a good wearing today as well. It's Diptyque's take on a fougere and I'm liking it so far. You get a good dose of mint right from the initial blast, then it starts settling into the "Diptyque DNA." Geranium become a bit prominent at the 15-20 minute mark and the patchouli (similar to Tempo) then takes over.
    Still sounds good to me.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I just tried it today and I pretty much agree with earlier sentiments posted. I never tried Rive Gauche for men so can't compare, but it's a fantastic take on a classic barbershop fragrance. The scent profile is 100% Diptyque. It has a natural feel, with the mint note being incredibly well done and not cheap smelling or obnoxious at all. A surprisingly good entry.

Mine arrives tomorrow.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I sampled it some time ago and agree it is a nice traditional fougère with typical Diptyque quirks.
    oh look, I have a signature

I just tried it today and I pretty much agree with earlier sentiments posted. I never tried Rive Gauche for men so can't compare
    Blasphemy!!!!

but it's a fantastic take on a classic barbershop fragrance. The scent profile is 100% Diptyque. It has a natural feel, with the mint note being incredibly well done and not cheap smelling or obnoxious at all. A surprisingly good entry.
    This comment has really got me interested so will go and try it as soon as I can. The reviews on Fragrantica are completely tearing it to pieces, so I am curious now.

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Blasphemy!!!!

This comment has really got me interested so will go and try it as soon as I can. The reviews on Fragrantica are completely tearing it to pieces, so I am curious now.
    Hi Rum,

I'm local to a Space.NK store, will check it out at lunch and let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by A10 View Post
    Hi Rum,

I'm local to a Space.NK store, will check it out at lunch and let you know.

Thanks! I might just do the same. Have both Diptyque and SpaceNK stores within walking distance. Just hope it doesn't rain...

Just chiming in briefly having tried this one now.

I've had it on my hand for a good hour or so. The mint in the top smells great from the bottle, as it does on paper. But once it hit my skin, it quickly turned to a woody/earthy patchouli accord. Even the SA smelled that on me and said "that's weird - you're the first person to try it on and have this happen". Maybe I have BN genes?

Anyway, opening top notes aside, I do share the sentiments that this is a wonderful barbershop fougere once it settles (incl. on my skin). I am getting strong whiffs of it as I type. I can't help but compare it to the recent Tom Ford fougeres, especially in their opening and mid range (the dry down of those two was disappointing for me). Likewise, comparison to the creamy aspect of Rive Gauche PH is quite justified.

It's getting a bashing on other forums as being "too much like the 1980s" and that it reminds of Drakkar Noir. Ultimately, for the vintage crowd this must be a good thing.

I also tried Geranium Odorata while I was there and hope to go back and give the Hesperide a go as well. Sometimes I just miss being near a Diptyque boutique!!

Blasphemy!!!!
    I know! Is the current 'La Collection' version worth trying?

I just seen this and am a bit gobsmacked at how Tom Ford's latest fougeres get universal praise when they were all scrubbers on me, whereas this gets panned

I know! Is the current 'La Collection' version worth trying?
    Yes, definitely. If that's all you can find in your area, it's at least... a certain % similar... I won't put a figure on it, but it's not a totally different scent.
    Ultimately, if you'd like to try the tin can version, that can be arranged with a quick PM

I just seen this and am a bit gobsmacked at how Tom Ford's latest fougeres get universal praise when they were all scrubbers on me, whereas this gets panned
    Don't get me wrong - I am no fan of TF's brand. The TF fougeres were scrubbers for me too; but the opening few minutes were actually just 'OK' I guess. Nothing more than that. As I said above, the dry down of them were both quite a joke to my nose.

Yes, definitely. If that's all you can find in your area, it's at least... a certain % similar... I won't put a figure on it, but it's not a totally different scent.
    Ultimately, if you'd like to try the tin can version, that can be arranged with a quick PM
    I'm lucky to have a Selfridges with the La Collection in my backyard, so I'll give it a go.

Don't get me wrong - I am no fan of TF's brand. The TF fougeres were scrubbers for me too; but the opening few minutes were actually just 'OK' I guess. Nothing more than that. As I said above, the dry down of them were both quite a joke to my nose.
    Have you tried Beau de Jour? I just tried it on a strip, but it didn't blow me away either.

Have you tried Beau de Jour? I just tried it on a strip, but it didn't blow me away either.
    Yes and it was much worse than his fougeres.

The new Diptyque is miles ahead. I keep sniffing my hands and it has clearly got my attention. Subject to it not changing much more, the verdict for this could easily turn to a BUY!

Yes and it was much worse than his fougeres.

The new Diptyque is miles ahead. I keep sniffing my hands and it has clearly got my attention. Subject to it not changing much more, the verdict for this could easily turn to a BUY!
    I have a bottle of Hugo Boss Just Different and like the mint note in that one, but I reckon that when my dwindling supply finishes, I'll have a go at Eau De Minthe for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Ah okay so its Eau de Minthé (with the h in the name - which the OP missed).
    I have now fixed this.

Default Re: New Diptyque fragrance Eau de Minthe

I sprayed eau de minthe at the airport earlier today. I was smelling many things and it was on paper, so not a good way to judge. Nice non-toothpaste mint, but then the paper higlighted all sorts of traditional masculine synthetics and I wasn't wowed. But I need to retry.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I sprayed eau de minthe at the airport earlier today. I was smelling many things and it was on paper, so not a good way to judge. Nice non-toothpaste mint, but then the paper higlighted all sorts of traditional masculine synthetics and I wasn't wowed. But I need to retry.

cacio
    Agree. Not a straightforward minty scent, but a modern fougere. In the dry down I do feel a Sauvage/BdC vibe that I love. A bottle worthy.
    Watch my recent video review of
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PW_V1G0aw

I seem to get a very fair dose of mint in this one although not as strong as in Menta Y Menta.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post

cacio
    I'm on the same page—I tried on paper from a boutique here in NYC and, although minty, ubiquitous masculine synthetics were the dominant forces here. It wasn't enough to make me want to try it on my skin. It was also missing things I wanted from a fougere—that coumarin, mossy, grounding base.
    Hard pass.
    Currently wearing: Timbre by Chris Rusak

Just tried this and find it a very fresh and modern barbershop fougere, a peppery anise and high quality soapy shaving cream that’s mint flavoured. I wouldnt say it’s a dominant note but very apparent. It’s more lightweight than hefty which isn’t a critique but more an observation, non of the 80’s hairy chest vibe going on here but find elements of both Sauvage and Rive Guache. Got some samples to take home for further testing but I really like it so far. Want.

Is this one now widely available?
    Currently wearing: Lui by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Is this one now widely available?
    Pretty much.