Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: New Diptyque fragrance Eau de Minthe

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Is this one now widely available?
    Grab one let me know what you think.

I have been trying this one extensively and have to say I am not going for a bottle. At least not at that price.

It's an OK fougere and makes for a wonderful trail in the dry down. But the opening didn't excite me much and the patchouli note feels sort of misplaced. That said, I still rate it above TF's fougere attempts and the Diptyque style is always one I admire. I just think there are other things on my purchase list that command a higher priority.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    I have been trying this one extensively and have to say I am not going for a bottle. At least not at that price.

It's an OK fougere and makes for a wonderful trail in the dry down. But the opening didn't excite me much and the patchouli note feels sort of misplaced. That said, I still rate it above TF's fougere attempts and the Diptyque style is always one I admire. I just think there are other things on my purchase list that command a higher priority.
    Agree. Sort of. If you are after a great fougere style fragrance, this isn't the best one on the market. But if you're after a very well implemented mint note, this one is definitely worth checking out. Also, fully agreed on it being better executed than the TF triplets.

Basenotes Institution

Would anyone compare this to Roadster by Cartier, a fragrance that when it was marketed called itself a 'mineralic fougere' and its centered on mint?
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Would anyone compare this to Roadster by Cartier, a fragrance that when it was marketed called itself a 'mineralic fougere' and its centered on mint?
    I could be wrong but wasn’t Pasha de Cartier marketed as a mint fougere?
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Wow - reading this thread and then looking at the feedback on Fragrantica is quite the contrast.

https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/...th--54387.html
    Current Spring Favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. Clive Christian - 1872 for Men
    5. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    6. Ermenegildo Zegna - Javanese Patchouli
    7. Les Nez - Turtle Vetiver Back
    8. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver EDP
    9. Creed - Green Valley
    10. Parfumerie Generale - Grand Siecle Intense 7.1

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Yes and no; the mint is similar the way it is used - underplayed. However, the mint in Eau de Minthe is more herbal/realistic, whereas the one in Roadster is a bit more similar to mint flavour (not that it has the toothpaste vibe). The other difference is in the composition - I do get a bit of vanilla in Roadster, and the composition is somewhat sweet in the dry down. Eau de Minthe is more crisp and woody.
    a bottle a day keeps the doc away

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Roadster is rounder and warmer in the finish with a peppermint vibe, while the Diptyque is spearmint over a barbershop base, and much drier. I'd say this is closer to Dirty by Lush than the Cartier
    oh look, I have a signature

I've gone through the rest of my sample and I will not be adding this either. The mint is done well, but I just cannot find the scent's identity after that. As someone else mentioned, I have so many more items in my list that I do love and want.

Basenotes Junkie

Wore this today for the first time. Very well-done mint supported by dihydromyrcenol, geranium/rose, and oakmoss/evernyl. It's very green from top to bottom. Very barbershoppy. Basically what others have already said. I like it but I don't think I'll spring for a bottle at this price; I can't see wanting to wear it more than a few times a year. I imagine in the years to come it'll pop up regularly when people ask for mint-centric or modern barbershop fragrances, as it's a good example of both.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Wow - reading this thread and then looking at the feedback on Fragrantica is quite the contrast.

https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/...th--54387.html
    Yeah. Basically an echo-chamber of comparisons to Drakkar Noir, probably the combined result of cursory sniffing and confirmation bias. There's certainly a passing resemblance, but that's it.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Yes and no; the mint is similar the way it is used - underplayed. However, the mint in Eau de Minthe is more herbal/realistic, whereas the one in Roadster is a bit more similar to mint flavour (not that it has the toothpaste vibe). The other difference is in the composition - I do get a bit of vanilla in Roadster, and the composition is somewhat sweet in the dry down. Eau de Minthe is more crisp and woody.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Roadster is rounder and warmer in the finish with a peppermint vibe, while the Diptyque is spearmint over a barbershop base, and much drier. I'd say this is closer to Dirty by Lush than the Cartier
    Thanks

I hope to smell this when I'm in Chicago this weekend.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Institution

I smelled this.

It is exactly as I expected it to smell: very much an old-school minty lavender fougere, with lots of barbershop qualities and probably the most masculine Diptyque I've smelled yet. I cannot imagine a woman pulling this off.

I *want* to like fougeres. But they bore me quickly (I sold my bottle of the outstanding Rive Gauche Pour Homme by YSL - so there you go).

If they make a Shower Gel of this I'll definitely buy some. But I don't imagine I'd wear the fragrance itself.

side note: Their new candle, Narguile, is yummy! It was sold out. I can see why.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Has anyone picked up a bottle of Eau de Minthé? Im still on the fence but leaning on hard into getting one myself.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Peckerhead View Post
    Has anyone picked up a bottle of Eau de Minthé? Im still on the fence but leaning on hard into getting one myself.
    I own a bottle and happen to like quite a lot.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Mike and I smelled this in Chicago. I was pretty underwhelmed. It wasn't a bad fragrance...it just wasn't that good IMO...and certainly not at that price point. I'll stick with my bottle of Frederic Malles Geranium Pour Monsieur within the genre. The Malle feels high end whereas the Diptyque I felt smelled a bit cheaper to be honest...definitely not worth the current asking price, not even close. Someone points out a similarly to Lush Dirty I'd say it falls somewhere between Dirty and Geranium Pour Monsieur with a bit of Barbershop mixed in terms of scent. In terms of quality I'd say it leans closer to the Lush. Also, it almost felt a bit directionless at least with the name. I didn't smell this and say wow...what a fantastic mint fragrance. But I do have to admit that this is from a quick 2 minute sniff from a scent strip so that for what it's worth.