Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Really disappointed with CDNIM. Where to go next...Parfums Vintage?

Hello all,

I blind bought Armaf CDNIM due to the hype. I have never smelled Creed Aventus, so I have no comparison, but I was extremely disappointed, to say the least. I have given this three full wearings (and many more tests) now and I just do not like it that much, quite honestly.

I like the initial lemon blast, but when it dries down it just smells like a lemon with dust on it, if that makes sense. Also, the performance wasn't nearly as good as I had expected. It's kinda weak in projection IMO. The longevity is ok though, especially considering the price. Sadly, this is my least favorite bottle I own. If this is Aventus...I don't get it. However, this is just one clone, and I think perhaps I could have fared better with something else.

Should I try several different of the other clones such as Lomani AB Spirit Silver, Glenn Perri Unpredictable Adventure, (I think Reyane Tradition has one as well) etc?

I have seen a lot of positive feedback on Vintage Pineapple and others from Parfums Vintage. However, they have several different "batches" as well. Would it be wise to try one of these? If so, what one best captures the most authentic Aventus experience?

I am 100% open to trying clones from other brands as well. I know this topic has been done to death, but I don't want to give up after just one clone. I am open to any suggestions, topping out at around $100 USD per bottle. Also, it must be something I can easily order online in the USA.

Thanks.

Basenotes Junkie

Default Re: Really disappointed with CDNIM. Where to go next...Parfums Vintage?

I think you can get Aventus decant, 50ml for less then 100$
    I've never smelled CDNI or other clones, but yesterday I came across this one https://www.ateliercologne.com/musc-imperial-30-ml.html an I was really impressed with it - very high quality, longevity is amazing - one spray on my arm lasted for 8+ hours and projected from arm length for good 4 hours.
    It smells like Aventus, but it's fig instead of pineapple. Ofc there might be other differences, since it was a while since I wore Aventus last time, so I don't remember everything.

Yes, just get a decant. No reason to mess around with clones when the real thing can be had for relatively cheap (decants)

Thanks for the tips guy, I am thinking I would like to get a decant of the real Aventus at some point, and I should probably do it sooner rather than later.

After some research, it looks like Parfums Vintage King Intense looks like it may be one of the better clones. It's slightly expensive at $135 for 100ml, but that's still much cheaper than the real deal. If it's as close as the reviews are hyping it to be, then it seems like a downright bargain.

Any opinions on this one?

Quote Originally Posted by Agio612 View Post
    Yes, just get a decant. No reason to mess around with clones when the real thing can be had for relatively cheap (decants)
    I concur.

I also found CDNIM extremely disappointing. No offense to it’s admirers, but to me it smelled like a harsh chemical mess. Does it smell like Aventus? Yeah, I guess. In the same way a barrel of gasoline smells like Fahrenheit. The same more or less goes for L’Aventure. In my (albeit limited) experience, there is nothing like the real thing.

If you are looking for something lighter and brighter, however, Musc Imperial is a great alternative. If you want something sweeter and more fruity, Cedrat Boise is a good option. I wouldn’t call these clones though. In any case, I would advice you to try out the original. If you don’t like it, it seems very unlikely to me that you will like any of the clones.

Quote Originally Posted by painted_klown View Post
    Thanks for the tips guy, I am thinking I would like to get a decant of the real Aventus at some point, and I should probably do it sooner rather than later.

After some research, it looks like Parfums Vintage King Intense looks like it may be one of the better clones. It's slightly expensive at $135 for 100ml, but that's still much cheaper than the real deal. If it's as close as the reviews are hyping it to be, then it seems like a downright bargain.

Any opinions on this one?
    emperor edp is the better clone. smells exactly like aventus and great performance. if you want something a bit brighter and sweeter than go for vanilla intense. king intense is beautiful in the drydown, but the opening smells like sweat/poop

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I am thinking I would like to get a decant of the real Aventus at some point, and I should probably do it sooner rather than later.
    Sound advice.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Dependent

Al-Haramain-L'Aventure.jpg

You can buy two bottles of Al Haramain L'Aventure for $100 and you wont be disappointed .
    Currently wearing: Prada L'Homme by Prada

Quote Originally Posted by Thankmelater View Post
    emperor edp is the better clone. smells exactly like aventus and great performance. if you want something a bit brighter and sweeter than go for vanilla intense. king intense is beautiful in the drydown, but the opening smells like sweat/poop
    LOL! That's scary to hear...Thanks for your input.

Thank you all for the input and your thoughts.

I have strongly considered Al Haramain L'Aventure as well. I just figured out a good website to source it from over the weekend actually. The price certainly is right.

Speaking of decants, is there a good place on here to get a decant of real Aventus? I trust Basenotes members more than a random e-bay seller.

If anyone reading this would be willing to sell me a small decant (even like 3ml would be enough for me to test it). Please hit me up via PM.

Basenotes Junkie

Check out split board for sellers with lot's of reviews

Just buy a decant. Please. You'll spend so much more money on useless clones when you could have had the real thing so much sooner. I just don't get why people do this.

FYI, PVI sucks. Musc Imperial is it's own beast. CDNIM is better. L'Aventure is the best of the lot. Have owned samples of all of those. However, nothing beats the real deal. So yeah, just pull the trigger on a decant or pick up a sample from your local luxury store. I picked up a sample from my local Harry Rosen, fell in love, and bought a full bottle the next day from a discounter. I now own two 100ml backup bottles of the king. It's worth the inflated price. If you like something bad enough, you'll find a way to acquire it.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

I really like PVI, like a smoky pineapple. Needs a bit more leather. Performance isn't what th advertis buts it's good.

Quote Originally Posted by Latency View Post
    Just buy a decant. Please. You'll spend so much more money on useless clones when you could have had the real thing so much sooner. I just don't get why people do this.
    +1. It’s mind boggling, the sheer stupidity of it all. Just buy whatever amount you can afford and be done with it. 10 ml can last a long time.

I was very disappointed with my PVI decant. Some has said it smells like pissy rotten pineapple which I felt similar to.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    10 ml can last a long time.
    Define “long time”

Quote Originally Posted by Latency View Post

FYI, PVI sucks. Musc Imperial is it's own beast. CDNIM is better. L'Aventure is the best of the lot. Have owned samples of all of those. However, nothing beats the real deal. So yeah, just pull the trigger on a decant or pick up a sample from your local luxury store. I picked up a sample from my local Harry Rosen, fell in love, and bought a full bottle the next day from a discounter. I now own two 100ml backup bottles of the king. It's worth the inflated price. If you like something bad enough, you'll find a way to acquire it.
    This 100x! People put themselves through the hunt for an Aventus clone when the real deal is within reach, I’ve been buying splits from the board since 2015 and I’d never even consider looking for a ‘budget’ alternative, it’s not worth the disappointment (additionally, don’t buy your decant from eBay, use the trusted splitters here on BN).
    My Most Complimented:

1). Aventus - Creed
    2). Sauvage - Dior
    3). Allure Homme Sport - Chanel
    4). L'Homme - Prada
    5). Acqua Di Gio Profumo - Giorgio Armani
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Emperor EDP and Extrait are the one to go for, got mine last week they smells great and better performance than my Aventus 18K11. Extrait cost as much as Aventus decant so it's not really an ideal option.

I've also received the latest 50ml PVI on 4/17/19, it is nothing like Emperor! very vivid rotten pineapple with burned tires odor are the primary notes....this stuff is nuclear, probably suitable as insecticide to flush out bugs. stay far away from PVI.

I love Rush of Unicorns and Evolution De L'Homme Soir.

If you don't want to buy the real deal, "L'Aventure" from Al Haramain will get you ridiculously close at a fraction of the cost.
    https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/...ure-40405.html

I think it smells slightly different sniffing straight at the point of application but noone around you will ever know.

Out of curiosity, why are you dead-set on Aventus clones if you haven't tried the real deal?
    Swap Thread | Sale Thread

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Got my CDNI recently. Using it for more than 2 weeks now and trying to use it in different ways (2 sprays, 3 sprays; different combinations etc). Guys, it is totally AWFUL - my wife and colleagues asked me to get rid of this smell ASAP. Half of day I smell like a nuclear+chemical blast. On the second half of the day it smell really nice. Recently I had an opportunity to smell Aventus and realized that I just totally wasted 30 Euros buying sh..t.

I DON'T UNDERSTAND THE HYPE OF CDNI. WTF?????

Am I doing something wrong or just people around me have no taste?

If this is Aventus...I don't get it.
    I haven't smelt CDNIM men, but I have smelt Aventus. Despite that, I don't get it either.
    What about ditching completely pineapple stuff, and go for something interesting instead?

Dependent

I'd advise on grabbing decants. They're typically as cheap as some of the closest clones, if not cheaper in some instances.

Totally agree!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Benz3ne View Post
    I'd advise on grabbing decants. They're typically as cheap as some of the closest clones, if not cheaper in some instances.
    Totally agree!

I don't really care for Aventus and don't think it's work the hype or attention, particularly given the state of the scent as it exists now. When my wife smelled it at the Creed counter in Neiman Marcus not long ago she thought it smelled well-made but generic, and, yeah, I don't think the current form of Aventus--a scent that's been around for a decade now and helped inform various trends--is especially novel or interesting anymore, if it ever really was.

But I do think Aventus boasts a level of refinement in its construction that none of its imitators approach, even in its current form. You won't be able to say you have a grasp on what Aventus is if you just smell stuff like CDNIM (which apparently has weird batch issues, just like Aventus) or Montblanc Explorer.

If you're desperate to get your nose on some Aventus you better just go for the real deal. There's not a close-enough version that's worth the price.
    Swap Thread | Sale Thread

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

you bought it because the hype, & you not even sample aventus yet...so theres possibilty you wont like aventus too.
    buy 5ml decant of aventus & every other clone of it..compare & decide yourself.

Answer: Go to Aventus. Why would you buy an Aventus clone when you haven't even smelt Aventus itself? OP is a troll or absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by tracerbullet View Post
    Answer: Go to Aventus. Why would you buy an Aventus clone when you haven't even smelt Aventus itself? OP is a troll or absurd.
    It would be more accurate to talk about "variations" than "clones" imo.

A lot of fragrances have been qualified of "aventus clone" just because they have pineapple in it, despite they are not even close, nor try to be. Anyways, Aventus doesn't have the monopoly of pineapple on earth, and I'm ready to bet that if one digged a little bit in the past, one could find a few frags with pineapple and ambroxan released earlier than Aventus (that doesn;t make aventus a clone of these).
    I don't like pineapple , but if I had to choose a "similar" scent, I would choose TT Orion or AC Musc Imperial every day over Aventus. (AC Musc Imperial doesn't even have a pineapple note in its pyramid, not sure why it's even remotely called an aventus clone.)

Also, someone having diverging tastes or making non-mainstream choices compared to others doesn't make him/her a troll, nor absurd.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Andy the frenchy View Post
    I don't like pineapple , but if I had to choose a "similar" scent, I would choose TT Orion or AC Musc Imperial every day over Aventus. (AC Musc Imperial doesn't even have a pineapple note in its pyramid, not sure why it's even remotely called an aventus clone.)
    Because AC Musc Imperial has the same vibe - same freshness and energ, but it's fig instead of pineapple

Quote Originally Posted by Zizzy View Post
    Because AC Musc Imperial has the same vibe - same freshness and energ, but it's fig instead of pineapple
    I can see similar vibes between the two, but a "vibe" is not enough to define a fragrance a "clone". Clone means exact identical (or at least very similar). Vibe means it's just in the same range (the "categories" of fragrances are limited by the nature of oils, and even with new synthetic aromachemicals, the major notes are always the same from one house to another (booze, vetiver, fruits, flowers, woods, spices, sweet).

If so, all green vetiver fragrances are clones of Guerlain Vetiver, all leather fragrances are clones of Knize Ten... Doesn't make sense to me using the word clone.