Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Has another person's review changed your opinion on a scent you enjoyed/disliked?

I enjoy reading other peoples' impressions of fragrances. Most scents come with their share of detractors, and typically a bad review won't change my opinion of a scent I personally enjoy. But this thread is for those atypical moments.

For me it was Baccarat Rouge 540 EdP. I ordered a sample and thought it was so interesting in a good way. People saying it smelt like burnt sugar didn't phase me at all. But then I read a review comparing its scent to a type of medical wrapping that I have smelled and sure enough, that's what I'm reminded of now. Thanks to that reviewer, hah.

How about the rest of you?

Default Re: Has another person's review changed your opinion on a scent you enjoyed/disliked?

Well as far as smelling different things in a fragrance, sure. My GF and I do this all the time with each other. We're picking up on different notes, and we'll go back and forth discussing what we smell.

As far as full on changing an opinion from like to dislike (or vice versa), I can't say that has happened yet.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Has another person's review changed your opinion on a scent you enjoyed/disliked?

Thankfully, no one has yet to change my opinion of a scent that I either enjoyed or disliked.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I try not to let others' opinions of a fragrance change or skew mine, so I can't really say I've experienced it.
    Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book, just turn the page.

"It smells really good, it's not Aventus though."
    Currently wearing: Royal Oud by Creed

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

I’ve had comments bring certain notes into focus, and once that happens they always smell in the way pointed out to me. 2 Man smelled soapy to me until someone said it was aldehydes that made it smell waxy, and ever since then it had smelled of candles to me, but fortunately I’ve never had a scent ruined by that kind of experience.
    I’m glad I’ve never smelled Comet cleaner, because I suspect it could potentially ruin Oud Wood for me because of the comparisons I’ve read.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

More than one person has mentioned a prominent ‘dill’ note in Santal 33. I don’t get it though and I know what dill smells like. And not a single rave review of Aventus could change my mind about it. It simply doesn’t work for me.
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

Diamondflame's championing of Serge Noir got me to revisit it and see it from a different perspective altogether. I hated it when it was released - thought it was a bad joke. A year or two later I spent time with it and it clicked - not for the faint-hearted but a brave, ballsy piece of work with more nuance than might be initially apparent.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

So far, not entirely nor fully, but occasionally might be provided with different and more nuanced perspectives about certain likeable aspects to be found in fragrance not belonging to personal favorites or, conversely, the less appealing or at least underwhelming aspects of personal fragrance favorites

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    So far, not entirely nor fully, but occasionally might be provided with different and more nuanced perspectives about certain likeable aspects to be found in fragrance not belonging to personal favorites or, conversely, the less appealing or at least underwhelming aspects of personal fragrance favorites
    +1 I am unable to think of many examples, but I do recall purchasing a large decant of a certain higher end fragrance only to discover that it was too dry and dusty for my taste, so I knew I would never purchase a full bottle. Afterward, however, I read a favourable review of the fragrance in which the reviewer said it made her think of a real story that I had read about many years ago and found quite macabre and stomach turning but on my own would never have associated with the fragrance. Every time I have used the fragrance since, which is not at all often, I cannot help but think of the grisly comparison. That is the only example that stands out in my memory. It did not change my opinion of the fragrance. It did not cause me either to like the fragrance more or to dislike it more, but I do recall the review any time I use the fragrance now, and I wish I had never read it. I shall not name the fragrance for others's sakes.
    Fate gives all of us three teachers, three friends, three enemies, and three great loves in our lives. But these twelve are always disguised, and we never know which one is which until we've loved them, left them, or fought them.

Gregory David Roberts
    Currently wearing: Unforgettable by Revlon

Basenotes Plus

I'm very new. I get a lot out of reviews that discuss notes as I can then identify those notes that otherwise I would have missed.

It's like taking a music appreciation class. It's the same Mozart concerto, but now you know more about it and enjoy it more.

Changed my mind? Not that I can recall. But strengthening my existing opinion, definitely yes.

The only instance I can think of is for D&G The One EdP, where some reviewers pointed out the chaotic note composition. I thought it was decent before, now the imbalance bothers me.

So, perhaps calling out certain elements of a composition so my lesser experienced nose learns something new, sure. But outright yea/nay on a scent based on a review? No.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    +1 my experiences as well.
    Currently wearing: Club Design by The Zoo

I just try to keep in mind that there are a lot of very experienced, well-seasoned collectors on this forum. As long as I don’t attempt to hold myself up to their standards and admit freely that I’m a novice, then I don’t feel too bad about liking entry level fragrances that aren’t very well regarded on here.

That said, there have been occasional fragrances that I might have been more willing to wear out in public before I read the reviews of how they’re perceived by others. Perfect example: I liked Costume National Homme a lot more at first, but my enthusiasm dimmed somewhat once I read a few reviews that said it had a distinctive “old man” smell. I never think about eras, fragrances that are youthful vs mature, etc ; I only know what I like. So from that perspective, trusted reviews and posts are helping me gain the experience I need to become more selective.

Basenotes Plus

In a way,

I hated Dior Sauvage at first. But because so many people seemed to like it, I kept smelling it at the store and re-testing samples to explore what it was that people liked about it. Well, the scent eventually grew on me. I think that it's possible for someone's opinion to change on a fragrance that is an 'acquired taste'. And I'm still perplexed how people enjoy Dior Sauvage upon first smelling it due to a few harsh/unpleasing notes in the base. There are two other scents that I grew to like - Creed Aventus and Le Labo The Noir 29. My first samplings of these were 'pass', but after letting time go by and re-evaluating I liked them.
    Currently wearing: Vetiver Geranium by Creed

Basenotes Plus

Never swayed my opinion to like or dislike a frag but I've tried a few based on how much somebody has talked about it. An example would be Gengis Khan, ended up really loving it but never would've crossed my path had I not seen Hednic mention it a few times but that's as much as I get influenced.
    Currently wearing: Jardin d'Amalfi by Creed

Glad there isn't anything too horrific in here (yet).

Quote Originally Posted by Oriane View Post
    +1 I am unable to think of many examples, but I do recall purchasing a large decant of a certain higher end fragrance only to discover that it was too dry and dusty for my taste, so I knew I would never purchase a full bottle. Afterward, however, I read a favourable review of the fragrance in which the reviewer said it made her think of a real story that I had read about many years ago and found quite macabre and stomach turning but on my own would never have associated with the fragrance. Every time I have used the fragrance since, which is not at all often, I cannot help but think of the grisly comparison. That is the only example that stands out in my memory. It did not change my opinion of the fragrance. It did not cause me either to like the fragrance more or to dislike it more, but I do recall the review any time I use the fragrance now, and I wish I had never read it. I shall not name the fragrance for others's sakes.
    Nevermind. This is one thing I'm afraid of now.

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    I’ve had comments bring certain notes into focus, and once that happens they always smell in the way pointed out to me. 2 Man smelled soapy to me until someone said it was aldehydes that made it smell waxy, and ever since then it had smelled of candles to me, but fortunately I’ve never had a scent ruined by that kind of experience.
    I’m glad I’ve never smelled Comet cleaner, because I suspect it could potentially ruin Oud Wood for me because of the comparisons I’ve read.
    On a side note, I love your avatar. Blanka is my favorite.

Knowing that the human nose is not a precision instrument and that tastes differ, I insist on forming my own opinion with my own nose before diving into other peoples' opinions.

One aspect where I do need input from others is when it comes to genders. For example, I spent the last few weeks sampling Figuier Eden. While I like it very much, my first reaction was that this was perhaps more appropriate on a woman. Reading comments from both men and women that this is a unisex scent made me more comfortable wearing it, and I am pretty sure a full bottle will be in my hands in the near future.

I sampled Nasomatto Baraonda after hearing alot about it. First impression was terrible. I thought it smelled like urine. I gave it a few more days and i still didn't understand what the hype was about because it smelled like my morning piss.
    Threw it away, but the next 2-3 months people had this on their top lists and i kept hearing more and more good things about it.
    So i sampled it again. It really grew on me and now today it's my favourite nights out scent for the fall/winter. It's so smooth.

Same with by Kilian Straight to Heaven. That fruity note blended with rum gives that sour urine scent. First impression though, now i like it.

Back in the day, when I find out a particularly nasty acquaintance got head-aches from Samsara, I immediately rummaged the house for my small bottle that had long been relegated to some cupboard or another, and then of course started wearing it again whenever I knew she'd be around. In a way that rekindled a spark for Samsara in me, and certainly made me enjoy it more, but not enough to buy another bottle by the time said acquaintance was out of the picture.

Freed from BN Institution

I'm not influenced by what other individuals say about any particular fragrance.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Yes: Colin Maillard changed my opinion on Dia Man
    Currently wearing: Lomani by Lomani

Happens all the time.

No 2 noses are the same, and since scent is about association and memory, if someone is able to 'connect the dots' for you, an olfacto-mantal association is formed.
    It is the nasal equivalent of not being able to 'unsee' something once you've seen it, except someone helped you see/smell it instead of arriving at the conclusion yourself.

I do find that if my initial olfacto-mental association is strong enough, no other person's assessment can change it.

It is why we see people vehemently disagree with each other about what fragrances smell alike or what notes/ingredients are in a particular fragrance.
    Waiting for Hednic's 8th star

Quote Originally Posted by Devon View Post
    Back in the day, when I find out a particularly nasty acquaintance got head-aches from Samsara, I immediately rummaged the house for my small bottle that had long been relegated to some cupboard or another, and then of course started wearing it again whenever I knew she'd be around. In a way that rekindled a spark for Samsara in me, and certainly made me enjoy it more, but not enough to buy another bottle by the time said acquaintance was out of the picture.
    Wow.
    Fragrance as a weapon.
    Noted!

Essex - But born & bred in good old East London

Yes. I used to enjoy Royal Mayfair and then Jack Hunter mentioned that it reminded him of a funeral home. I had never got that myself but once it was in mind head I couldn't get rid of the thought. Completely ruined it for me. I ended up selling my bottle. Thanks Jack!!
    All Time Favorites
    Vintage Fahrenheit - Dior
    Homme Parfum - Dior
    Coromandel - Chanel
    Aventus - Creed
    Bois du Portugal - Creed
    Green Irish Tweed - Creed
    Original Santal - Creed
    Royal Mayfair - Creed
    Royal Oud - Creed
    Halfeti - Penhaligon's
    Heritage (edt) - Guerlain
    Mousse Illuminee - Rouge Perfumery
    L'Air Du Desert Marocain - Tauer
    Baccarat Rouge 540 - MFK
    Uomo Intense - Valentino

Quote Originally Posted by Honger View Post
    Knowing that the human nose is not a precision instrument and that tastes differ, I insist on forming my own opinion with my own nose before diving into other peoples' opinions.

One aspect where I do need input from others is when it comes to genders. For example, I spent the last few weeks sampling Figuier Eden. While I like it very much, my first reaction was that this was perhaps more appropriate on a woman. Reading comments from both men and women that this is a unisex scent made me more comfortable wearing it, and I am pretty sure a full bottle will be in my hands in the near future.
    Fragrance is sexless. Ditto color and shape.
    It really depends on your nose and how and what you associate what your nose is perceiving...not a precision instrument as you pointed out. Marketing doesn't help either.

Over a decade ago, there was a thread about masculine and feminine scents in which MikePerez23 pointed out this fact. My mental association at the time found me disagreeing with him. He was right, I was wrong. Fragrance has no sex, your skin chemistry is what matters most.

Sure.

There’s been a number of fragrances that I didn’t care for when I first smelled them, but I gave them more chances due to favorable reviews by noses I trusted & respected, and came around to them after repeat wearings.

But never the other way around. A negative review has never turned me off of something I liked.

Hi all,

My old thread might be useful to some : http://www.basenotes.net/threads/449...E-OFF-BEAT-etc

Default Re: Fragrances that are : ANIMALISTIC, ODD, STRANGE, STINKY, UNIQUE, OFF BEAT, etc.
    Hi Mike,

I recently did a thread here at BN about how DISAPPOINTED I was regarding

ELd'O "Sécrétions Magnifiques" from the stand point of, "Secretions Magnifiques" did NOT

(at least to me) smell the least bit "Funky" and in fact, smelled rather pleasant! I was

truly perplexed after my wearing of "Sécrétions Magnifiques" since I read/watched all the

NEGATIVE reviews/videos/threads etc. which proved (again in my case) wrong regarding the

(supposed) RANKNESS nature of this fragrances. It just goes to show you how very

differently we interpret smells/fragrances/notes.

Default Re: IMHO, ELd'O "Sécrétions Magnifiques" is NOT the least bit disgusting/vile/rank.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post

Trusted noses have advised against it and have provided ample evidence for their opinions.
    Luca Turin gave it a 5/5!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/450...ting-vile-rank

Mike (and others) you might find my theory interesting :

Re: IMHO, ELd'O "Sécrétions Magnifiques" is NOT the least bit disgusting/vile/rank.

Hi all,

Cook, might you have seen my recent thread regarding Food and Fragrances ?

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/450...ght=SixCats%21

I have been pondering this question for a long time. In a Nutshell, my hypothesis is :

if a person is use to eating a WIDE variety of Foods

(including the most DIS-liked foods as well as Ethnic Foods) my belief is that

a "Fragrance enthusiast" is MUCH more likely to be receptive to the more "CHALLENGING"

Fragrances. As far as ELd'O "Sécrétions Magnifiques" is concerned, I find it is an OK

Fragrance however, I (personally) do NOT find SM the least bit "disgusting" per all the hype.

Darj, regarding Caron Yatagan, I too find it a WONDERFUL fragrance! No, not really

Animalistic per se but it is very "off putting" to many which is why I listed it among

"Challenging" fragrances.

https://www.listchallenges.com/ameri...st-hated-foods

SixCats!
    Edit / Delete Edit Post

SixCats!

Another Basenotes member once pointed out to me that Lancome Hypnose Homme has a "salmon" note in it, and after that I smelled it every time. It ruined the fragrance for me.
    (Fortunately, I've never smelled the "eggs" note that's apparently in AdG Essenza, a fragrance I enjoy very much. A lot of people talk about that egg note ruining it for them, but even after hearing about it many times I still don't pick up on it.)

Other than that, there's never been a review that's swayed me one way or the other as far as liking or not liking a fragrance after I was able to sample it or wear it. However, I do enjoy when someone else's review confirms what I'm thinking about a fragrance. It helps me to know I'm not crazy and that what I smell other people smell too.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewthecologneguy View Post
    Fragrance is sexless. Ditto color and shape.
    It really depends on your nose and how and what you associate what your nose is perceiving...not a precision instrument as you pointed out. Marketing doesn't help either.

Over a decade ago, there was a thread about masculine and feminine scents in which MikePerez23 pointed out this fact. My mental association at the time found me disagreeing with him. He was right, I was wrong. Fragrance has no sex, your skin chemistry is what matters most.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: L'Arbre by Iunx

I'd say my opinion is generally not affected by others. I don't think a fragrance I already had has ever been changed by something I read about it.

But there are a couple of fragrances I have sampled that I decided not to buy because of something I read by someone.

I don't remember the fragrances, but someone compared one to that rubber kitchen gloves smell, and that's all I could smell afterwards. I've always hated that smell, and you can smell it on your fingers even after you've taken the gloves off.

Someone also compared something I was sampling to burned rubber, and that also ruined it for me. Nothing worse than burned rubber.

I guess I must have agreed in both instances to some degree or my opinion probably wouldn't have been swayed.
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626