Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Re: Mont Blanc Explorer.....The New Fragrance (2019)

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I have really grown tired of the (1) Aventus attempts (2) Overloaded chemical concoctions that pass themselves off as fragrances the last few years. Not all are bad, but a big segment of perfumery seems to be dead. It had become paint-by-numbers where these "perfumers" are just using the aromachemicals given to them by the industry and using different ratios than the other "perfumers" and slapping a label on it and putting it on a shelf.

Hard to be original when everyone is just using the same handful of chemicals. they are trying to invent new colors by only working with the modern ROY G BIV of ingredients. We are just getting slightly different shades of what 10 people have already done before.

I guess being a simpleton in the realm of fragrances, meaning myself, is a blessing because I just find so many that I really enjoy. I find this to be a great fragrance, each time I've worn It I really enjoy it and think how it's different from all the other bottles I own. But I find that I simply really enjoy alot of the fragrances I pick up, I don't know... I think this Is a really nice smelling fragrance. I've gotten a handful of compliments as well with it so that in itself is pleasing.

But yea I mean it seems from what I've read around here that I'm definitely on the more casual totem pole in simply wanting what smells good, not really worrying what's compared to what it what something is tryin to be... Maybe that's a negative to it all I'm not sure but I'm just really happy with all the fragrances I typically buy these days in general

Quote Originally Posted by The People's Champ View Post
    I guess being a simpleton in the realm of fragrances, meaning myself, is a blessing because I just find so many that I really enjoy. I find this to be a great fragrance, each time I've worn It I really enjoy it and think how it's different from all the other bottles I own. But I find that I simply really enjoy alot of the fragrances I pick up, I don't know... I think this Is a really nice smelling fragrance. I've gotten a handful of compliments as well with it so that in itself is pleasing.

But yea I mean it seems from what I've read around here that I'm definitely on the more casual totem pole in simply wanting what smells good, not really worrying what's compared to what it what something is tryin to be... Maybe that's a negative to it all I'm not sure but I'm just really happy with all the fragrances I typically buy these days in general

No, you're not a simpleton because you like it. Lol......In and of itself Explorer is a nice, modern fragrance. It's fairly smooth, well put together and has a very pleasant, clean, fresh and masculine smell. But it's going to run into problems because it's a blatant copy of Aventus, and when people who are familiar with Aventus compare the two, the Creed is clearly better. Explorer's deficiencies become apparent when placed side-by-side with its inspiration.

But I think it'll be a fairly popular, well-liked scent. Most people out there have never smelled Aventus. So they've no idea what they're missing. And when you place Explorer in its real context--which is the Macy's fragrance counter--and you start comparing it to its peers and competition--it holds it own and also smells pretty unique. It was kind of a clever move by Montblanc when you think about it. The two other main clones--Club de Nuit and Insurrection Pure II--aren't really sold in department stores and malls (except for Kiosks). And for the most part neither is Aventus. So Explorer can carve out it's own little niche without anyone being the wiser (except for 1-percenters, like us). Maybe this is Montblanc's payback for Creed's equally blatant rip of Individuel. It'll be interesting to see how it fares now that it's out there and gaining some attention.
    Currently wearing: Black by Puredistance

I think it boils down tho to me being more of a tweener so to speak as to how indepth I get with my fragrances compared to those who really go deep with it.

For instance I today actually got my sample of Green Irish Tweed and I'm not sure where most would place they in terms of creed fragrances but while I thought it was really nice, it wasn't anything that made me feel oh man I needed to go drop 200 bucks on a bottle.

And I plan to get one of aventus as well and I'm sure it'll be awesome, but I as I said being a bit of a middle man with how far I go got a feeling ill like it but not have a feeling of must have over what I'm using for the price.

I guess the last post above that I was semi replying to just felt like quite a downer in the world of fragrances and I just feel I already have so many different good fragrances I use, it's hard to go along with that thinking when I already feel swamped with tryin so many and owning alot as is.

Ashton from gents scents tho feels that explorer isn't quite a clone or anything just has a familiarity there, but like I said I'm just the type that loves what smells good.

I tend to stay away from the Creed because of the prices. They have some lovely fragrances, and while I'd want to own one or two of them (Bois du Portugal being one), I'm not rushing to spend the money when there are so many good fragrances out there.

What bothers me about many contemporary fragrances is a general lack of attention to balance (and I don't think this is just a problem with designers, but with some prominent niche houses, too). There's a lot of stuff out there that's haphazardly constructed, but the cracks have been papered over with enough sweetness that it doesn't offend the nose. And synthetics are part of the problem here, not because synthetics are some great evil, but because many perfumers seem to be using them indiscriminately without compensating for their weaknesses.

I'm at the point where I don't necessarily care about *complexity,* I just want a well-executed vision, even if that vision is relatively simple.

So after reading all the posts (this is a great forum) and viewing all the YouTube reviews I decided to get a firsthand sniff of this beast. I went to Macy's and had to deal with a counter girl who seemed to be having a bad day (customer service is a dying art!). I sprayed the tester 5 times and walked out with a 100ML bottle of Explorer in less than 5 minutes.

Smelling the cologne in the truck for the first 5-10 minutes, I had the notion to go back into the store and return it. My impression was like, what were these reviewers thinking that this smells like the King. Glad I remembered what GentsScents said about the first 5-15 minutes not smelling like Aventus. It smells horrible at first. I went to lunch and then started picking up hints of Creed and now 3 hours in, WOW!! I absolutely love this fragrance!

I am a definite Aventus fan and will not replace wearing it for special occasions with Explorer, but for office days when I would like to put Creed on, this is definitely going to be my pick. This is just my opinion, but definitely happy with my purchase!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Bravo indeed!
    Waiting for Hednic's 8th star

Quote Originally Posted by The People's Champ View Post
    I think it boils down tho to me being more of a tweener so to speak as to how indepth I get with my fragrances compared to those who really go deep with it.

For instance I today actually got my sample of Green Irish Tweed and I'm not sure where most would place they in terms of creed fragrances but while I thought it was really nice, it wasn't anything that made me feel oh man I needed to go drop 200 bucks on a bottle.

And I plan to get one of aventus as well and I'm sure it'll be awesome, but I as I said being a bit of a middle man with how far I go got a feeling ill like it but not have a feeling of must have over what I'm using for the price.

I guess the last post above that I was semi replying to just felt like quite a downer in the world of fragrances and I just feel I already have so many different good fragrances I use, it's hard to go along with that thinking when I already feel swamped with tryin so many and owning alot as is.

Ashton from gents scents tho feels that explorer isn't quite a clone or anything just has a familiarity there, but like I said I'm just the type that loves what smells good.
    i'd pick vintage Cool Water over GIT any day. Same perfumer but they are different. It's just the difference is not $200 worthy IMO.
    Waiting for Hednic's 8th star

What's the longevity / sillage like with this one?

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    ...It's almost impossible to describe this fragrance without referring to Aventus in one way or another. It's also pointless to describe this without mentioning Aventus as it clearly, in no disguised manner, borrows directly from it. Anyone who refuses to make that comparison is just doing it for the sake of doing it--the connection is clear and unavoidable...
    I just received my bottle in the mail, and, this is exactly correct. The argument that this smells "nothing" like Aventus, or, that it isn't clearly an attempt to copy Aventus is disingenuous. This absolutely, unequivocally, 100% shares a large majority of it's DNA with Aventus. Are there nuanced differences? Yes. Can you pick up on subtle unshared notes upon extremely close comparison? Yes. By and large, however, the vast majority of people who do not have intimate knowledge with fragrances will not be able to tell the difference. Hell, the bottle even mirrors the look of an Aventus bottle. Mont Blanc is unabashedly pointing out that this is the "everyman's Aventus."

Love it or hate it Aventus has made an indelible mark on the fragrance world. It is a highly coveted fragrance that is largely unattainable for many people. It is unknown to an even larger number of people. I personally am excited there is an option available now of designer quality that scratches my Aventus itch.

I picked up my split of this from Palmolive yesterday and wore it to work today.

I think I will buy a bottle, once it hits discounters.

It reminds me of Aventus, and a couple of hours in, of Terre d'Hermes. Both of which I own and love.

It will help eek out my Aventus supply if nothing else!

I'll buy it when it hits discounters, it's quite nice.

Explorer on my left, Aventus on my right. Sprayed on pretty much at the same time. Both had the same opening, and about the same dry down. Two hours later my right had a more leather smell with a hint of pineapple. My left had a smoky pineapple smell. The Aventus side was a bit more complex, more interesting, sharper. It certainly wasn't $300 more interesting though ��

Quote Originally Posted by slvrbckgorilla View Post
    I personally am excited there is an option available now of designer quality that scratches my Aventus itch.
    It's a smart move by Montblanc. Taking one of the most coveted masculine scents and making it accessible at a lower price point is an easy way for them to have a successful fragrance release.

I'm not a huge Aventus fan (it's well-made, just not to my personal taste), but I'm glad there's a wallet-friendly, widely available option out there for people who are. The "exclusivity" of the absurdly priced Aventus deserves a bit of a challenge.

Wore this today as my SOTD.

I’ve received four very enthusiastic compliments on it. Two women insisted I tell them the name and show them a picture of the bottle so they could go out and buy it for their husbands this weekend.

So it must smell pretty decent to others. I wear cologne every day around the same 4 people who complimented me and they’ve never once complimented me before.

Back to Explorer: It wears nicely. There’ve been a lot of allusions to its aromachemicals and synthetic nature and it’s true—they’re indeed present—but they’re a good example of synthetics rather than a bad example, I’d argue. Nothing is scratchy or harsh or nostril searing. Overall it’s pretty smooth and polished, and it smells nice.

I’ve received four very enthusiastic compliments on it. Two women insisted I tell them the name and show them a picture of the bottle so they could go out and buy it for their husbands this weekend.

So it must smell pretty decent to others. I wear cologne every day around the same 4 people who complimented me and they’ve never once complimented me before.

Back to Explorer: It wears nicely. There’ve been a lot of allusions to its aromachemicals and synthetic nature and it’s true—they’re indeed present—but they’re a good example of synthetics rather than a bad example, I’d argue. Nothing is scratchy or harsh or nostril searing. Overall it’s pretty smooth and polished, and it smells nice.
    sounds good will be on the lookout might stop in Macy’s very soon to have a testing!

Basenotes Junkie

There’ve been a lot of allusions to its aromachemicals and synthetic nature and it’s true—they’re indeed present—but they’re a good example of synthetics rather than a bad example, I’d argue. Nothing is scratchy or harsh or nostril searing. Overall it’s pretty smooth and polished, and it smells nice.
    There is nothing wrong with synthetics, they become a problem, when it's a cheap chemicals that smell terrible and\or give you headache.

+1

Steve
    Currently wearing: H.M. by Hanae Mori

Synthetics--in and of themselves--are not worthy of disdain, and they are found in perfumes of nearly all price tiers. A good perfumer will know how to use them. It's only when they're either repellent or badly implemented that it becomes an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ag19frag View Post
    By all accounts, it's pretty average.
    "Freedom from desire is like the choicest extract from the choicest treasure."
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

For me longevity was pretty good, around 7 hours on skin. On clothing much longer.

Sillage is only moderate, I feel this one stays pretty close after the first hour or so. Which for me is fine, I don't regularly want to fill a room with the fragrance I'm wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by HFMIII View Post
    For me longevity was pretty good, around 7 hours on skin. On clothing much longer.

Sillage is only moderate, I feel this one stays pretty close after the first hour or so. Which for me is fine, I don't regularly want to fill a room with the fragrance I'm wearing.

Same here. This is my SOTD today, I went pretty heavy on the trigger.

When I was strolling through Macy's today I saw a display for Explorer and thought I'd give it a shot just to satisfy my curiosity given the talk here and elsewhere.

My reaction was viscerally negative. I can't properly review it because I didn't get very far into the experience of wearing Explorer; I had to scrub it off my skin about thirty minutes later because I was on the verge of a headache. I'll take the word of those who have said it improves later on it in its development, but I'm gonna pass on this one.
    Swap Thread | Sale Thread

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

I tried it the other day, and I feel like its pretty good. Sort of smells like Sauvage Dior IMO, although not nearly as strong and more smooth. I didn't really like Sauvage that much, but Explorer's in my current top ~25.

I haven't tried Creed Aventus enough to give a good comparison but seemed sort of similar from what I remember.

The notes list of this fragrances being completely different to that of Aventus shows how much b/s exists in this industry.

How come no one wants to inform the board on this other then how it compares to aventus?

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    How come no one wants to inform the board on this other then how it compares to aventus?
    I did, although I agree with you, and it's not only an issue here.

I've worn it a few times now and to me this isn't a clone, I would imagine the inspiration here was "let's take some aspects of a number of popular modern fragrances", with Aventus being one of those popular fragrances.

There is no pineapple here, I have seen in some places people saying "The pineapple in explorer is toned down" or people refering to pineapple in general ... Maybe it's the Bergamont / Pepper / Wood combo that makes people think of pineapple.. Who knows..

I don't generally watch a ton of YouTube fragrance reviews these days, but out of curiosity I endured the barrage of them for Explorer. A greater amount of time was spent in the majority of these videos talking about what Aventus smells like, complaining about this being a copy of Aventus, or giving their estimation of what percentage this is like Aventus instead of actually talking about the fragrance they were supposed to be reviewing.

Everything is typically inspired by something.. That goes for movies, music, fragrances etc... That's how I view it. I mean not everyone wants to spend 300 bucks for a bottle of juice, so if something is inspired by that scent and gives someone something similar for a better price I say go for it. But even Ashton has said it's not a clone just more of a similarity.

But with all these fragrances having so many of the same notes in ways I guess I just don't see what the fuss is about, but that's just me.

I did, although I agree with you, and it's not only an issue here.

I've worn it a few times now and to me this isn't a clone, I would imagine the inspiration here was "let's take some aspects of a number of popular modern fragrances", with Aventus being one of those popular fragrances.

There is no pineapple here, I have seen in some places people saying "The pineapple in explorer is toned down" or people refering to pineapple in general ... Maybe it's the Bergamont / Pepper / Wood combo that makes people think of pineapple.. Who knows..

I don't generally watch a ton of YouTube fragrance reviews these days, but out of curiosity I endured the barrage of them for Explorer. A greater amount of time was spent in the majority of these videos talking about what Aventus smells like, complaining about this being a copy of Aventus, or giving their estimation of what percentage this is like Aventus instead of actually talking about the fragrance they were supposed to be reviewing.

But in this context it makes sense to talk about it in terms of Aventus as it is a clear rip of Aventus. It's the easiest way to describe it. If everyone is familiar with Aventus then it makes for a very clear and easy description of Explorer. I'm not going to fault a reviewer for that. To try to describe Explorer on its own, without referring to Aventus, would be absolutely pointless, as it would be neglecting an opportunity to make a useful and well-known comparison, and it would also be disingenuous--ignoring the elephant in the room and pretending that Explorer is anything but a clearly Aventus-like scent. If something came out tomorrow that smelled nearly identical to Pure Malt, would it make sense not to mention PM in the review?

I agree with you regarding the pineapple, by the way. There is no pineapple. But it also, again, makes sense to say something like, "Here the pineapple has been replaced by a fresh, fruity bergamot accord of some kind," for the very reason that Explorer follows the same structure and pattern as Aventus. And in this case, instead of pineapple, they've added a different fruity fresh note. But keep in mind this is not the same as comparing two scents that just share some similar notes. I hear people making that argument, "Oh well why don't you just say any fragrance that shares notes with another fragrance is a clone then?" But they know better. Explorer is so obviously connected to Aventus that it's dishonest to suggest otherwise.

I mean I like Explorer, but why pretend that it's anything other than an Aventus-inspired composition?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    I get very good performance from this.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast