Code of Conduct

Default Xerjoff Alexandria II thoughts and opinions

Can an experienced nose that has sampled a few times or owns Xerjoff Alexandria II give me a solid opinion on this perfume and some context around what is in play for this one or if there are others like it?

I wore it about 4 or 5 times now and I am attracted to this scent. It takes me on a journey which not a lot of fragrances do. I enjoy the dry, dusty spices (cinnamon), the lavender, the creamy woods and of course the Laotian oud notes. The scent has a bit of dry dusty quality to it, that comes off as “powdery” is the best way to describe it. As it dries down, the amber accords become apparent with again a dry light vanilla. I want to keep smelling it throughout the day. The performance is stellar. I remember the first time I sprayed this on skin from a tiny sample atomizer, it made me sneeze because it was just so strong.

I’ve tried MFK’s Oud extrait and Xerjoff’s Fars which also contain Laotian oud, but I did not like these at all due to the florals and sweetness (although I’d prefer Fars). They smell more dense and not as dry and airy as Alexandria II. Some others that share Alexandria's II kind of dry composition and that I like so far is Andy Tauer's LDDM and Armani Prive Oud Royal, although these are more smokey and OR being pretty sharp and crisp.

Really I’m trying to figure out why I like this scent and if It is worth the money and if there are other scents that do this kind of thing. I’ve seen plenty of criticisms of the Xerjoff line being too expensive, synthetic smelling etc. I’ve tried Uden and it is very synthetic and reminded me of window cleaner or an all-purpose cleaner, so I get where some people are coming from. Fars was nice if I liked florals. I have samples of Nio, Renaissance and Kobe to pull out during the spring to try though.

I’m early in my fragrance journey but I have smelled about a 100+ niche so far and not interested in owning a huge collection, but be very critical of the ones that I do add. So I really don’t want to blow my load too early for this if there is other stuff out there like this composition.

Default Re: Xerjoff Alexandria II thoughts and opinions

I absolutely love it. However, from what I understand, it has been reformulated at some point, and I have heard many very critical of the new version. I have not tried the new stuff yet, but I really think the older one is top notch for sure. Heavy, yet smooth wood scent - sandalwood with the oud gives it a rich and creamy feel - rather than letting the oud dominate.

It's been a while since I have worn it, but I do like it - and my wife made an unsolicited comment about it also - she really liked it. And she generally does NOT like heavy / woody scents on me.
    Current Winter Favorites:

1. House of Matriarch - Blackbird
    2. Brückner - Aoud 1
    3. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    4. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Generation Man
    5. Creed - Royal Oud
    6. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    7. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Mortal Skin
    8. Creed - Royal English Leather
    9. Ormonde Jayne - Black Gold
    10. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions

Are you saying that Alexandria II is already reformulated or do you mean Alexandria that has been reformulated and released as Alexandria II?

One of the best scents I own. Only have 30ml travel spray but I suppose that will last my lifetime as it is so potent only 1 spray is needed and it goes on for a whole day. And on clothes it will stick a really long time.
    Currently wearing: Elixir by Al Kimiya

Quote Originally Posted by Herne View Post
    Are you saying that Alexandria II is already reformulated or do you mean Alexandria that has been reformulated and released as Alexandria II?

One of the best scents I own. Only have 30ml travel spray but I suppose that will last my lifetime as it is so potent only 1 spray is needed and it goes on for a whole day. And on clothes it will stick a really long time.
    I don't know for sure what other people are referring to, but I assume they are referring to newer batches of Alexandria II as opposed to Alexandria II of a few years ago. Not sure if true, just passing along what I have heard. I have not smelled anything than what I have from about 5 years ago, and it is amazing.
    Current Winter Favorites:

1. House of Matriarch - Blackbird
    2. Brückner - Aoud 1
    3. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    4. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Generation Man
    5. Creed - Royal Oud
    6. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    7. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Mortal Skin
    8. Creed - Royal English Leather
    9. Ormonde Jayne - Black Gold
    10. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions

Dependent

I've heard more about it coming across 'weaker' rather than reformulated. Reformulated to me suggests there has been an altering of chemical composition but dilution could be no difference to the 'fragrance proportions' and a greater proportion of solvent.

Either way, I can't comment conclusively on the Alex II older vs Alex II newer debate. Perhaps try Alexandria Imperiale for the heavy-woodsy aspects? It's got brightness turned down, oud and woods up.

To the OP: I can't really envisage what you're trying to get across? Is it that some oud fragrances are more dense than others? In which case, there's multitudes of that surrounding oud fragrances, even 'like-for-like' ouds such as Cambodian or Laotian. Two Laotian might smell different. Alex II, in my opinion, doesn't focus a huge deal on the oud aspect but instead on the lavender, cinnamon etc which probably brings it up to feel 'lighter'. If you were a fan of florals, specifically rose, I'd suggest Xerjoff Warda al Oud attar. It's brightened by the jasmine but still features an ever-present oud note. Kemi Tempest (I can only attest to the attar) also comes across lighter/brighter with a strong oud undercurrent. Lastly, Kemi 'ILM is a straight-up oud melange but doesn't come across overtly dense or heavy like vanilla-oud fragrances you've alluded (though I didn't realise there was any in Fars?). 'ILM can come across a little fecal, just to warn.

From what I understand, Kemi is one of the same with Xerjoff, or at least function closely as does Sospiro.

I would say don't focus on 'Laotian oud', per se, but take oud as a whole range of notes/accords/feels and sample other oud-centric fragrances. Alternatively, you could try some Laotian oud attar(s) and see whether you still recognise the note as Laotian oud in Alex II?

Quote Originally Posted by Benz3ne View Post
    I've heard more about it coming across 'weaker' rather than reformulated. Reformulated to me suggests there has been an altering of chemical composition but dilution could be no difference to the 'fragrance proportions' and a greater proportion of solvent.

Either way, I can't comment conclusively on the Alex II older vs Alex II newer debate. Perhaps try Alexandria Imperiale for the heavy-woodsy aspects? It's got brightness turned down, oud and woods up.

To the OP: I can't really envisage what you're trying to get across? Is it that some oud fragrances are more dense than others? In which case, there's multitudes of that surrounding oud fragrances, even 'like-for-like' ouds such as Cambodian or Laotian. Two Laotian might smell different. Alex II, in my opinion, doesn't focus a huge deal on the oud aspect but instead on the lavender, cinnamon etc which probably brings it up to feel 'lighter'. If you were a fan of florals, specifically rose, I'd suggest Xerjoff Warda al Oud attar. It's brightened by the jasmine but still features an ever-present oud note. Kemi Tempest (I can only attest to the attar) also comes across lighter/brighter with a strong oud undercurrent. Lastly, Kemi 'ILM is a straight-up oud melange but doesn't come across overtly dense or heavy like vanilla-oud fragrances you've alluded (though I didn't realise there was any in Fars?). 'ILM can come across a little fecal, just to warn.

From what I understand, Kemi is one of the same with Xerjoff, or at least function closely as does Sospiro.

I would say don't focus on 'Laotian oud', per se, but take oud as a whole range of notes/accords/feels and sample other oud-centric fragrances. Alternatively, you could try some Laotian oud attar(s) and see whether you still recognise the note as Laotian oud in Alex II?
    Thanks for the reply. I guess what I am trying to say in a weird long way is that I think this scent is impressive and really enjoy it. I understand that all ouds are different, so I may get some real oud oil to have. Thanks for mentioning Alexandria Imperiale, I need to try this one. It looks like it is an exclusive to a UK store, any idea how to acquire a sample? I've messaged the Xerjoff Universe store and awaiting reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Herne View Post

Where did you acquire the 30ml travel spray? The Xerjoff Universe has it but it is currently OOS. I'd agree with you though, 30ml would probably be enough to own.

This is one of my favorite Xerjoff fragrances. I will definitely be buying a bottle when my sample runs out. It did come across as a tad bit odd when I first tried it, but this one evolved and went through different phases throughout the wearing, which was 12+ hours btw. I have not smelled anything like this fragrance. As to the question of whether it is worth the money, I think so, but that is something you will have to decide.
    Currently wearing: Great Britain by Roja Dove

Update: Xerjoff Universe confirmed that the 30ml travel size of Alexandria II is discontinued. They also mentioned London's Fortnum Mason is the only store that carries Alexandria Imperiale. Fortnum Mason says that they do not carry samples of this and cannot ship them.

Quote Originally Posted by odellperfume View Post
    Where did you acquire the 30ml travel spray? The Xerjoff Universe has it but it is currently OOS. I'd agree with you though, 30ml would probably be enough to own.
    I bought it from First in Fragrance but seems like they do not have it anymore. Also Parfumaria had it but seems to be deleted from their stock too. Maybe Xerjoff discontinued that 30ml travel spray and sticks with 50ml and 100ml bottles. Travel Spray has kinda cheap feel to it compared to Xerjoff bottles but as it was cheaper price per ml than bottle I don't mind. Just go for a 50ml bottle then, they are gorgeous bottles.
    Currently wearing: Elixir by Al Kimiya