Code of Conduct

Default Stetson by Coty (1981)- It's a woman's fragrance...

I was at work yesterday and one of my fellow male co-workers was wearing a familiar scent.He noticed I kept doing a light sniff at the air and wrinkling my nose a little bit and finally asked "Is that Stetson you're wearing"?...he said yes.I didn't say anything but he went on about how old-school it was.Saying he gets why it was so popular in the 80's and all.I gave him one firm look and said "I don't remember it that way at all.It was a flamboyant attempt at Chaps by Ralph Lauren and Stetson was more popular among women..not men".The guy is somewhere between 23-25 and I telling you guys...women wore this.Here's my bad memory...

I recall in my early teens in the early 90's my two older sisters huddled in the bathroom for a Friday night out to a club/bar or concert.Splashed remnants of this sickeningly sweet and flowery perfume smell labeled as a men's fragrance just filling the bathroom.To top it off I recall one of them making it in early enough for breakfast and darting to the bathroom in last night's clothing.A whole new application of Stetson as a one night stand cover up scent at breakfast...(shudder) boosted the gross out factor.

In those few years I recall smelling this on a female cashier or sales associate on occasion.When my dad and I would drop off some take-out for my mom her receptionist wore this.Couldn't stand this fragrance and couldn't escape it.There are some fragrances that are for men that eventually become unisex in popularity because they smell neutral.I don't recall what Lady Stetson smelled like but Stetson was feminine clearly...not neutral.

Anyone else grow up in the 80's where you remember Stetson just abundantly used by women?

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Stetson by Coty (1981)- It's a woman's fragrance...

I grew up in the 80’s and can’t recall a single woman wearing it. Although plenty older gentlemen of the time did. That’s not to say it didn’t happen but rather that I didn’t encounter it. Most of the girls and women wore something from Avon, Dior Poison, Loves Baby Soft, etc. Sometimes some Chanel No5. Sometimes Estée Lauder’s Beautiful. In the late 80’S girls started wearing Exclamation!. But I don’t recall associating women with Stetson. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    I grew up in the 80’s and can’t recall a single woman wearing it. Although plenty older gentlemen of the time did. That’s not to say it didn’t happen but rather that I didn’t encounter it. Most of the girls and women wore something from Avon, Dior Poison, Loves Baby Soft, etc. Sometimes some Chanel No5. Sometimes Estée Lauder’s Beautiful. In the late 80’S girls started wearing Exclamation!. But I don’t recall associating women with Stetson. Thanks for sharing.

I think it's just that stylistically, Stetson is a small tweaking of an old floriental chypre formula a la Chantilly (1941) but done in a way that average guys wouldn't notice. Compare Chantilly to Stetson, it's the same game as comparing Cabochard (1959) to Aramis (1966).
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Jules by Christian Dior

Didn't know it was worn by women. But this reminds me of Tania Sanchez's review of old Stetson, which points out what zealot crusader just said. It was really a floriental, but marketed to men.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I seem to remember some girls speaking well of it, at some point. I made a mental note of it, but didn't act on it.

Was there a similar, Western-themed frag in the 70's? I seem to recall something like it (cheap drugstore frag) getting buzz earlier.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

On working class scents I highly agree on Avon stuff,Exclamation!,and Love's Baby Soft.Add Jean Nate and Primo!(Giorgio imitation) to that list.Good list though

Quite frankly if I could 'bait and switch' the fragrance that was in both of my sister's hands...it would have been Jean Nate or Exclamation! for sure.Far too many times I've stood in front of the toilet and gagging on that god awful honey and amber combo from Stetson.Couldnt take a leak without opening the window first.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by vipersinthefield View Post
    On working class scents I highly agree on Avon stuff,Exclamation!,and Love's Baby Soft.Add Jean Nate and Primo!(Giorgio imitation) to that list.Good list though

Quite frankly if I could 'bait and switch' the fragrance that was in both of my sister's hands...it would have been Jean Nate or Exclamation! for sure.Far too many times I've stood in front of the toilet and gagging on that god awful honey and amber combo from Stetson.Couldnt take a leak without opening the window first.
    OMG, I forgot about Jean Nate and Primo!. There was a girl that used to wear Exclamation! so heavily that she would gag you as soon as she walked into class. Lol. But then there was a classroom ‘cutie’ that would wear just a hint of it and we thought she smelled so nice. Men...

I've never known a woman who wore it. My dad and many other men - some of the manliest men I know - wore it. I still associate it with my dad.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I think it's just that stylistically, Stetson is a small tweaking of an old floriental chypre formula a la Chantilly (1941) but done in a way that average guys wouldn't notice. Compare Chantilly to Stetson, it's the same game as comparing Cabochard (1959) to Aramis (1966).
    Sorry I missed your comment earlier but I do get what you’re saying. I’ll do a direct comparison to my wife’s grandmother’s Chantilly in the near future for a direct experience.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by vipersinthefield View Post

Anyone else grow up in the 80's where you remember Stetson just abundantly used by women?
    I didn't grow up in the 80's (actually way before) but don't recall it being abundantly used by women. I just recall it as being pretty awful.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

As long it gives you good memories of your dad there's wrong with that.

And who knows maybe my acknowledgement of Stetson being worn by women stemmed from something else.Women who smelled it on boyfriend's and/or husbands and said "oh this totally works for me"...unisex appeal.Amber heavy fragrances back in the 70's/80's were just too much as fillers.Not that amber is a bad note,but a lot of it can be nasty.Here's a few examples...

There was a men's fragrance back in the 80's called Cameron cologne by Kensington.It was pretty much just amber darkened up by a lot of leather and a little spice.If you asked my opinion I'd say it reminded me of two things.A woman in heavy make-up and hairspray wearing a leather skirt.Or sticking your face into a woman's leather purse and breathing in cosmetic nasal warfare.

Fire & Ice for Men by Revlon was the last time I smelled some amber twisted into gender bending butchery.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Sorry I missed your comment earlier but I do get what you’re saying. I’ll do a direct comparison to my wife’s grandmother’s Chantilly in the near future for a direct experience.

I think Chantilly works on a man so I'm a bad person to ask.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Jules by Christian Dior

Interesting observations on Stetson.

How does the modern formulation hold up? Is it similar, or has it been tweaked to no longer resemble the older versions?

I ask, because I am genuinely curious, and if it's a sweet scent to this day, I really want to try it. I like sweet scents quite a bit.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by painted_klown View Post
    Interesting observations on Stetson.

How does the modern formulation hold up? Is it similar, or has it been tweaked to no longer resemble the older versions?

I ask, because I am genuinely curious, and if it's a sweet scent to this day, I really want to try it. I like sweet scents quite a bit.
    It still gives the same overall experience. It’s still recognizable as Stetson. It’s not quite the same, not being as rich IMO. But, even if someone were to be upset about the way it’s changed, people that used it back in the day would still see it as Stetson. One piece of advise... go easy on the amount when/if you do try it. It’s a beast in sillage and longevity. If you chose it as your SOTD, then it REALLY will be your SOTD. The entire day, and into the night.

Basenotes Junkie

I think origional Stetson is pretty discusting myself. Now Stetson Black is another story. It has a tiny bit of cheapness to it, but it smells like twigs and berries. Go real easy on the trigger and it smells very good in cold weather.

It still gives the same overall experience. It’s still recognizable as Stetson. It’s not quite the same, not being as rich IMO. But, even if someone were to be upset about the way it’s changed, people that used it back in the day would still see it as Stetson. One piece of advise... go easy on the amount when/if you do try it. It’s a beast in sillage and longevity. If you chose it as your SOTD, then it REALLY will be your SOTD. The entire day, and into the night.

I'm going to say reformulation was why I asked my co-worker.It seemed like the lavender and sweetness switched hands in reformulation.It was very high in lavender,baby wipes or floral powder and wasn't calming down.The amber and honey seemed moderate versus the old days...still sweet enough to take out a diabetic at first whiff though.

Thinking back on what Coty gave for within reach of cost probably Preferred Stock and Iron were their most signature scents over Stetson by a long shot in that time period.I'd love to see them bring back Iron frankly.
    Last edited by vipersinthefield; 20th February 2019 at 05:31 PM.

I have not tried the older version. The current version feels really good up top, but the drydown feels a bit too clean and cheap-likely they substituted some old material with a cheap white musk.

cacio

Holy cow! Zealot Crusader is right! Chantilly and Stetson (original) smell very similar! Not quite the same, but very close! I was just able to smell them both side by side, sprayed on cards over at the store, and I would say they are close enough that they could be considered "dupes." I think Chantilly is a much older fragrance, so I suspect Stetson may have been based on it, or on something else that is very similar! I also compared them to "Ysatis" from Givenchy because that one also strongly reminds me of something else but I can't quite think what it is! "Ysatis" is actually a bit different from "Chantilly" and "Stetson", although it's the same type of floral-oriental scent (or chypre.) I still suspect it's maybe "Charlie" by Revlon that it reminds me of.
    But..on the subject of "masculine" or "feminine" scents..Chantilly and other chypres or orientals were actually perfumes marketed to women that were done in a more traditionally "masculine" style, not the other way around! So, yeah, Stetson Original is still a masculine scent. The fact that these types of fragrances have been worn by women for decades now maybe puts them more in the "unisex" category by this point. Guys who love stetson probably don't want to hear that though! XD

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Was there a similar, Western-themed frag in the 70's? I seem to recall something like it (cheap drugstore frag) getting buzz earlier.
    Avon's Wild Country perhaps?

This is great to hear. I’ll have to keep an eye out for a bottle. This is one that I have been curious about, but reformulation fears had held me at bay.

Yes, when I tried an older formulation of Chantilly I immediately thought of Stetson (I still have a small bottle of that one that I got as a gift in the 80s). Problem with Stetson is there are too many that are better and in the same ballpark. Vintage Paul Sebastian Fine Cologne, for example, is top notch, a major league slugger, but Stetson is an average player in the minors.