Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Member

Default What is the best Roja Dove to own?

I'm looking at getting my first Roja Dove. The only thing is that I've heard that some of them can make you smell almost grandpaish.. I'm In my later 20s and looking to avoid that. Thank you

Default Re: What is the best Roja Dove to own?

You cant go wrong with any RD - however without knowing what your tastes and likes are, start off with Enigma Pour Homme

Blog Entries

Depends what you like. If contemporary freshies are your style, then Elysium is both affordable and excellent.

If you want a luxurious fruity mass crowd pleaser, Saudi Arabia. If you want smoke on top of that recipe, Sultanate of Oman.

If you want something richer and boozy and still contemporary, Enigma PH is the way to go.

If you want to enjoy the decadence that Roja Parfums is renown for, then start with Amber Aoud.

If you want the ultimate gentleman’s fragrance, then Danger PH is excellent.

If you enjoy leather, then Fetish PH is amazing. In your case, the EDP would suit better since it is more contemporary.
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

To answer the thread question - the one that smells the best to you and on you.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by NickZee View Post
    Depends what you like. If contemporary freshies are your style, then Elysium is both affordable and excellent.

If you want a luxurious fruity mass crowd pleaser, Saudi Arabia. If you want smoke on top of that recipe, Sultanate of Oman.

If you want something richer and boozy and still contemporary, Enigma PH is the way to go.

If you want to enjoy the decadence that Roja Parfums is renown for, then start with Amber Aoud.

If you want the ultimate gentleman’s fragrance, then Danger PH is excellent.

If you enjoy leather, then Fetish PH is amazing. In your case, the EDP would suit better since it is more contemporary.
    Thanks for the details Nick, just like the OP, I am looking to get my first FB Roja. I’ve sampled a handful and definitely like Creation E, but really need to find out more about the Aoud offerings!

Q: What is the best Roja Dove to own?

A: All of them.

Seriously though, Nickzee suggested many good options, all of which I enjoy, and I'll add a couple more.

Vetiver Pour Homme: For me this is the reference for the classic take on Vetiver.
    Reckless Pour Homme: If you like spices, wood and cinnamon give it a try. It's similar to Clive Christian X, but for me it's more complex.
    Scandal Pour Homme: This is in the same wheelhouse as something like Eau Sauvage, not a copy by any means, an excellent option for the classic fresh citrus fougere.
    United Arab Emirates: Interested in rose/oud? This is as good as it gets in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by HFMIII View Post
    Q: What is the best Roja Dove to own?

A: All of them.

Seriously though, Nickzee suggested many good options, all of which I enjoy, and I'll add a couple more.

Vetiver Pour Homme: For me this is the reference for the classic take on Vetiver.
    Reckless Pour Homme: If you like spices, wood and cinnamon give it a try. It's similar to Clive Christian X, but for me it's more complex.
    Scandal Pour Homme: This is in the same wheelhouse as something like Eau Sauvage, not a copy by any means, an excellent option for the classic fresh citrus fougere.
    United Arab Emirates: Interested in rose/oud? This is as good as it gets in my book.
    I agree, UAE is the best rose scent I’ve encountered!

You can't go wrong with Enigma.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    And we're done here...
    how so?
    Currently wearing: Vert Bohème by Tom Ford

Among many worthy candidates, I'd go with Diaghilev. RD outdid himself with this one.

Sample...

At RD’s price point, do you really want to blind buy? Body chemistry and personal taste are everything in the fragrance game... I’d spend the $50 on samples and then make an informed decision.
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa
    Currently wearing: Lyric Man by Amouage

Wearing Perfume Right Now

From smelling them at the shop, Great Britain is one of the most interesting, a sort of Chanel Cuir de Russie type. That would be my pick.

Dependent

Of the ones I've tried (Enigma EdP, Reckless Pour Homme and Aoud), Aoud is my favourite by a substantial margin. Coincidentally, it's also my SOTD.

Quote Originally Posted by xmachiavellianx View Post
    I'm looking at getting my first Roja Dove. The only thing is that I've heard that some of them can make you smell almost grandpaish.. I'm In my later 20s and looking to avoid that. Thank you
    Well...the best one for you to get is the one that you like the most.

Or does it not really matter to you because you're just looking to impress others?

Dependent

I missed the statement about being in the 'later 20s'. Funnily, I'm of the same age-group. I would rather call something 'sophisticated' or 'classy' versus 'grandpaish'. Ultimately, go with what you enjoy rather than preconceptions.

Go with Elysium)

Quote Originally Posted by xmachiavellianx View Post
    Why do you feel a need to own a Roja Dove fragrance when the only thing you’ve heard about them was far from complimentary...? What’s the thought process behind this, young man?

Quote Originally Posted by Benz3ne View Post
    I would rather call something 'sophisticated' or 'classy' versus 'grandpaish'. Ultimately, go with what you enjoy rather than preconceptions.
    I would agree, I've only ever heard someone refer to one of Roja's fragrances, Enigma, as "grandpaish" in a YouTube video a few years ago, where the host claimed it was the most expensive fragrance ever, he seemed afraid to spray it to allow people to smell it and made everyone smell the atomizer to form an opinion. A very young female that smelled the sprayer said it smelled like grandpa.

I suppose the comment stuck with me because I felt it was absolutely absurd.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by HFMIII View Post
    I would agree, I've only ever heard someone refer to one of Roja's fragrances, Enigma, as "grandpaish" in a YouTube video a few years ago, where the host claimed it was the most expensive fragrance ever, he seemed afraid to spray it to allow people to smell it and made everyone smell the atomizer to form an opinion. A very young female that smelled the sprayer said it smelled like grandpa.

I suppose the comment stuck with me because I felt it was absolutely absurd.
    That sound bizarre. Also bizarrely, I feel compelled to watch it, wherever it lurks amidst the rest of t'interweb.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Why do you feel a need to own a Roja Dove fragrance when the only thing you’ve heard about them was far from complimentary...? What’s the thought process behind this, young man?
    read the OP's words again. he says "the only thing is that i've heard it smells grandpa-ish". i.e. he's heard a lot of great things, but has also heard that some can smell mature, so he would like to avoid the mature smelling ones.

that's very different than how you are reading it as - "the only thing i've heard is that it smells grandpa-ish".

to be fair, many ROJA frags do indeed smell dated, and that's because their inspiration is. Roja openly and proudly pays homage to the history of fragrance and the styles that have come and gone over the years. examples of this are Danger and Scandal (two brilliant odes to the 80's power-fougere), Diaghilev/Nüwa/Chypre Extraordinaire (reference quality chypres that harken back to the first half of the 20th century Europe), Great Britain (a take on the classic Cuir de Russie style), and Goodnight Kiss (a powdery-aldehyde perfume straight off Joan Crawford in 1939's "The Women").

OP - to answer your question, some of the more modern smelling ROJA's include Elysium, Qatar, Aoud, Saudi Arabia, Parfum de la Nuit 3, Oligarch, and H Exclusive Black Tier.
    Last edited by foxbins; 21st February 2019 at 03:19 AM. Reason: Removed comment for provocation/profanity
    Currently wearing: Vert Bohème by Tom Ford

I like to layer Fetish and Danger!

Quote Originally Posted by Finnster View Post
    ******************************* he asked a simple question looking for advice.
    Well, how are we supposed to know what the "best" one is for him? We have no idea of his taste or what he's looking for other than it should be a Roja Dove. Sounds like he's just looking for whichever one everyone else likes the most without even considering his own personal taste, unless his taste is to simply like whatever everyone else likes.
    Last edited by foxbins; 21st February 2019 at 03:21 AM. Reason: Removed provocative comment and profanity

The OP is looking for opinions on the fragrances. He never stated he wasn’t going to sample, or just blind buy the fragrance we give most mentions. Don’t assume he doesn’t know anything, or lacks common sense just because he’s younger. No need to heap advice on him that he’s not necessarily looking for, especially with a less than helpful attitude about his process. The majority of us can’t just sample everything offered from all these houses, so getting a lot of helpful opinions (maybe even with some details) can help dwindle the search down for the OP. It’s not as easy as you’d think looking at the notes/ingredients of fragrances to go with ones you think suit you by the note listings, when there are about 50 things listed for many of them....just crazy!

Seems pretty typical around here for people to almost get irritated that others want to purchase expensive hyped fragrances, and it’s only ok if people follow certain procedures. If your initial reaction to the thread title is frustration, or irritation, post on another thread that makes you happy!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by cologne connoisseur View Post
    Among many worthy candidates, I'd go with Diaghilev. RD outdid himself with this one.
    Diaghilev and Fetish are both pretty great.

read the OP's words again. he says "the only thing is that i've heard it smells grandpa-ish". i.e. he's heard a lot of great things, but has also heard that some can smell mature, so he would like to avoid the mature smelling ones.

that's very different than how you are reading it as - "the only thing i've heard is that it smells grandpa-ish".
    You might well be right to read in between OP’s lines and inferred what wasn’t explicitly stated but I didn’t want to assume anything. That’s why I asked him for some clarification. But your highlight of the more modern Rojas was certainly helpful to anyone with similar concerns so thank you.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

to be fair, many ROJA frags do indeed smell dated, and that's because their inspiration is. Roja openly and proudly pays homage to the history of fragrance and the styles that have come and gone over the years. examples of this are Danger and Scandal (two brilliant odes to the 80's power-fougere), Diaghilev/Nüwa/Chypre Extraordinaire (reference quality chypres that harken back to the first half of the 20th century Europe), Great Britain (a take on the classic Cuir de Russie style), and Goodnight Kiss (a powdery-aldehyde perfume straight off Joan Crawford in 1939's "The Women").

OP - to answer your question, some of the more modern smelling ROJA's include Elysium, Qatar, Aoud, Saudi Arabia, Parfum de la Nuit 3, Oligarch, and H Exclusive Black Tier.

************************** he asked a simple question looking for advice.
    You are the one with the attitude and how in the Hell did you extrapolate All that from "The only thing is that I've heard that some of them can make you smell almost grandpaish". Diamondflame asked a simple, valid question.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    You might well be right to read in between OP’s lines and inferred what wasn’t explicitly stated but I didn’t want to assume anything. That’s why I asked him for some clarification. But your highlight of the more modern Rojas was certainly helpful to anyone with similar concerns so thank you.
    Killing with kindness doesn't work when the target doesn't understand the act. You deserved better than that reaction.

To the OP:

For my part, I'll say "grandpaish" usually means the spicy or leathery stuff. Love or hate his prices, Roja Dove pretty much releases whatever he wants, but other users who have experience with the brand have cited examples of scents that follow more modern or "youthful" trends, so I'd think your best bet is to follow their advice and ignore everyone else here trying to gaslight or blow smoke rings at you. Happens a lot in MFD forum sadly. Cheers!
    Last edited by foxbins; 21st February 2019 at 03:22 AM. Reason: Removed profanity
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Free for Him by Avon

I agree, these kinds of topics are kind of pointless. No disrespect to OP, but when you're talking about implying a blind buy of a $400+ fragrance, nobody is really gonna feel comfortable giving any advice. The best thing to do is to sample them yourself.

Also if you're new to fragrances, expensive, is not always better. If you're worried about "smelling grandpa-sih".. you could find a safe fragrance house that makes high quality stuff, like Creed, some Bond No 9's, Atelier, or perhaps even a little more risky with Parfums de Marley or Xerjoff.

Of course, the best thing to do is always buy samples. even if you lose out a couple bucks, and don't enjoy it, you could always swap or sell expensive samples. in the end, you would have lost only 2 figures, instead of $400+.
    "Where there's gold, there's a gold digger" -Dashboard Confessional

The two that I smelled which I think are worth buying? "Lily" and the other one is "Elysium".
    Currently wearing: Royal Water by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I agree, these kinds of topics are kind of pointless. No disrespect to OP, but when you're talking about implying a blind buy of a $400+ fragrance, nobody is really gonna feel comfortable giving any advice. The best thing to do is to sample them yourself.

Also if you're new to fragrances, expensive, is not always better. If you're worried about "smelling grandpa-sih".. you could find a safe fragrance house that makes high quality stuff, like Creed, some Bond No 9's, Atelier, or perhaps even a little more risky with Parfums de Marley or Xerjoff.

Of course, the best thing to do is always buy samples. even if you lose out a couple bucks, and don't enjoy it, you could always swap or sell expensive samples. in the end, you would have lost only 2 figures, instead of $400+.
    Again, nowhere did the OP say he was blind buying a $400 plus fragrance. At no point did he say he wasn’t looking for these opinions, so he could get samples. He wants to own a FB Roja at some point. Our information to him should be detailed and helpful.

He definitely should sample, but even if he doesn’t and just wants to make a decision based on detailed information and/or opinions....that’s his choice. Too many people decide not to give good feedback based on their own opinions of “the process” of fragrance exploration, and whether or not they agree with what the OP is doing.

I keep checking back in here since I too am looking for even more and more Roja information and experiences, but seem to keep finding others trying to redirect the OP.