Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default 10 Days of Guerlain

Iím on a quest. A quest for the best from Guerlain. Today was Day 1. I have taken notes based on recommendations from this forum and have orders ten 1 ml samples of some heavy hitters. I am going to be wearing one fragrance per day for 10 days and report back with my thoughts. Please feel free to weigh in on your thoughts and critiques based on your own experiences with these scents.

Day 1) Guerlain Shalimar EDP

Day 2) Guerlain Heritage Vintage Original EDT

Day 3) Guerlain Vetiver

Day 4) Guerlain Jicky EDT

Day 5) Guerlain Homme LíEau Boisee

Day 6) Guerlain Habit Rouge Dress Code

Day 7) Guerlain Santa Royal EDP

Day 8) Guerlain Mitsouko EDP

Day 9) Guerlain Oud Essential EDP

Day 10) Guerlain LíInstant de Guerlain Eu de Parfum

Bonus:

Day 11) Penhaligonís Castile EDT

Day 12) Tom Ford Private Blend Tobacco Vanille

Iím pretty stoked
    Letís have some fun.

Day 1) Shalimar EDT. WOW. I actually own a bottle of this already but I ordered a sample anyway to see how it stacks up to the full bottle and it did not disappoint. The smokey and citrusy top notes were the highlight of my morning. The warm floral middle notes got me going through lunch and the Tonka Bean and vanilla base notes kept me company all day long.
    Shalimar never disappoints, it is easily in my top 5 fragrances of all time. Itís complex, itís soft, itís sweet, itís subtle, itís enduring, itís just freaking beautiful. Iím not sure how the others will compare, but Shalimar sets a high bar straight out of the gate.
    Last edited by Portland; 20th February 2019 at 06:58 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: 10 Days of Guerlain

Fun!!
    Itís tragic to think that heroic manís great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.
    Currently wearing: Norne by Slumberhouse

Freed from BN Institution

Sounds like your'e off to a great start
    I suggest trying these as well:

Spiritueuse Double Vanille
    Tonka Imperiale
    Iris Ganache
    Angelique Noire
    Bois d'Armťnie
    Gourmand Coquin
    Sous Le Vent
    Vega
    L'Instant de Guerlain Eau Extreme
    Eau de Cologne
    Eau de Cologne Imperiale
    Derby
    L'Heure Bleue
    Vol de Nuit
    Jicky
    Samsara
    Nahema
    Chamade
    Shalimar Ode a la vanille sur la route de Mexique
    Shalimar Ode a la vanille sur la route de Madagascar
    Shalimar Ode a la vanille sur la route
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Scent of Oger by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post

Tonka Imperiale
    Iris Ganache
    Angelique Noire
    Bois d'Armťnie
    Gourmand Coquin
    Sous Le Vent
    Vega
    Eau de Cologne
    Eau de Cologne Imperiale
    Derby
    L'Heure Bleue
    Vol de Nuit
    Jicky
    Samsara
    Nahema
    Chamade
    Great list!! Thanks!!

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bķzios Brasil

A nice experience to undertake! Enjoy.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Welcome Portland! Enjoy your journey. Guerlain is my favorite house. Try some Eaux, too.
    Currently wearing: Folie Douce by GrŤs

Impressive list, great 10 day experience ahead thanks to each and every of these classics, also adding Songe d'un Bois d'Ete to an additional lineup/among further, alternative options

Great additions N.Cal Fragrance Reviewer. Don’t forget Apres l’Ondee and Mouchoir de Monsieur. No classic Guerlain sampling journey is complete without these.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post

Tonka Imperiale
    Iris Ganache
    Angelique Noire
    Bois d'Armťnie
    Gourmand Coquin
    Sous Le Vent
    Vega
    Eau de Cologne
    Eau de Cologne Imperiale
    Derby
    L'Heure Bleue
    Vol de Nuit
    Jicky
    Samsara
    Nahema
    Chamade
    Yes, nice list! When I came in, I was hoping to see Derby, Vol de Nuit and Madagascar being part of the 10 day experience. Especially Vol de Nuit when weíre talking a 10 days of the best of.

In any case, Portland, you still have a good list. I look forward to reading your thoughts on each sample and appreciate the effort that goes into these type threads. Iíve been on the fence about reviewing an entire lineup from another house and applaud your effort.

Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Missing Oakmoss

A whirlwind tour of Guerlain, how lovely! I hope you'll go on to try many more of Guerlain's great fragrances. A warm welcome to you.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Shalimar is good stuff. For others at that level, there are L'Heure Bleue and Vol de Nuit.

Some others have a different style, but are just as good: Mitsouko, Eau de Colonge Imperiale.

the original Homme

I've revisited it --- a fine fragrance imo

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I wore Shalimar yesterday and reminded myself of why it is my favorite Guerlain.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Explorer by Montblanc

Great lineup. You're missing that other great masculine, Derby. But another sampling series...

Is the Habit rouge dress code similar to the regular habit rouge? If so, I wonder whether you should do Habit rouge as second perfume. I have always thought of Habit rouge as a sort of Shalimar for man (ie lighter), they do share a lot of similarities.

cacio

Good to see an exploration of Guerlain, and a great list for a 10-day project.

I'm going to suggest Habit Rouge L'Eau, as a warm-weather alternative to the original.
    March has been cold, rainy and windy : Hermes Equipage, Bel Ami, Bel Ami Vetiver; Dior Fahrenheit, Jacomo Jacomo de Jacomo, Gucci Guilty Absolute pour Homme; Knize Knize Ten, Etro Gomma.
    Celebrating the Spring Equinox with Penhaligon's Ostara.
    Currently wearing: Ostara by Penhaligon's

Basenotes Plus

Guerlain is an amazing house. Mitsouko and L'Heure Bleue are my absolute favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Great lineup. You're missing that other great masculine, Derby. But another sampling series...

Is the Habit rouge dress code similar to the regular habit rouge? If so, I wonder whether you should do Habit rouge as second perfume. I have always thought of Habit rouge as a sort of Shalimar for man (ie lighter), they do share a lot of similarities.

cacio
    Dress Code is interesting. I have not put it on yet but at first sniff it seems bolder than Habit Rouge, I think it will wear well. The reason I did not include Habit Rouge in this lineup is because it is a staple in my rotation and one I wear 2-3 times a week and was trying to go for frags I was not too familiar with.

Given all of the wonderful suggestions, I will absolutely be doing a second round of this once this first experiment is complete. I noticed Derby and a few others being mentioned more than once and I must try it.

A Guerlain sampling thread hits the spot.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    A Guerlain sampling thread hits the spot.
    Probably because you contain 20 or 30 targets for it to aim it.

Cool thread! I'll be interested to see your take on Oud Essential and Santal Royal relative to the other Guerlains. To me, they were very un-Guerlain...synthetic, incomplete, and not very enjoyable, though I had high hopes for both.

+1 on sampling Derby, Vol de Nuit and L'Heure Bleue in addition (at a minimum) if the goal is to get a good overview of the house in all its historical glory. Apres l'Ondee as well.

N CAL also suggests Bois d'Armenie, and I can cosign that. It's among the best examples of that modern Guerlain is capable of.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Verdict: meh.. :/
    Underwhelming. Not unpleasant, just uneventful. When the scent hit my nose it was synthetic and sharp. It definitely got a raised eyebrow. Then after a few seconds I detected lemon and lime, which gave me hope. But it did not go very far from there. Given the array of ingredients in this rather complex perfume, it didn't feel complex (if that makes sense). Silage was weak. My wife could barely smell it on me even when leaning in for a kiss. Longevity was pretty weak. I kept hoping to get random whiffs throughout the day, but that was not the case. I guess Shalimar is a tough act to follow. I did get some spice as the day wore on, but it was subtle and forgettable. Perhaps I had a bad batch, or perhaps it is just not for me. Either way, Heritage Vintage EDT is a no go in my book. Fun to try! But I'll pass..
    Last edited by Portland; 21st February 2019 at 02:17 PM.

Is it too late to make it 13 days and have a run at Vol de Nuit?
    "I mean, this world without a leopard? Who'd wanna live in it?" - Diana Vreeland

Quote Originally Posted by Devon View Post
    Is it too late to make it 13 days and have a run at Vol de Nuit?
    After this batch I'm going to do a second set of "10 days" with some of the recommendations on this forum. Vol de Nuit will definitely make the list. Thanks for the recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by Portland View Post

Verdict: meh.. :/
    Underwhelming. Not unpleasant, just uneventful. The scent to hit my nose was synthetic and sharp. It definitely got a raised eyebrow. Then after a few seconds I detected lemon and lime, which gave me hope. But it did not go very far from there. Given the array of ingredients in this rather complex perfume, it didn't feel complex (if that makes sense). Silage was weak. My wife could barely smell it on me even when leaning in for a kiss. Longevity was pretty weak. I kept hoping to get random whiffs throughout the day, but that was not the case. I guess Shalimar is a tough act to follow. I did get some spice as the day wore on, but it was subtle and forgettable. Perhaps I had a bad batch, or perhaps it is just not for me. Either way, Heritage Vintage EDT is a no go in my book. Fun to try! But I'll pass..
    Pretty much sums up my feelings towards this one, ha.
    Currently wearing: L'Occitan by L'Occitane

Quote Originally Posted by crashtestbrummie View Post
    Pretty much sums up my feelings towards this one, ha.
    I’m not a huge fan either. Heritage lives in a crowded field, and it seems a little dry and sharp to me relative to PdN NY and Chanel PM Concentree, which I prefer. The EDP is an improvement, but still not something I particularly admire.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Heritage, especially vintage, is a big favorite on this site. I think it's a fragrance that can grow on people, a strong fragrance with character. I have a bottle, but I'm nursing it. My current preference is for Habit Rouge, for a men's Guerlain, and Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree and Versace L'Homme for things somewhat in the style of Heritage.

About Habit Rouge Dress Code, I can tell it's a flanker of Habit Rouge, but it's so modern and trendy smelling, it could work for a different audience. I personally don't really like it.

It looks like Guerlain Vetiver is up next? It could take a couple wearings if you're not used to vetiver. At first, I thought it was an odd note to feature so heavily in perfume, but I developed a taste for it pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post

It looks like Guerlain Vetiver is up next? It could take a couple wearings if you're not used to vetiver. At first, I thought it was an odd note to feature so heavily in perfume, but I developed a taste for it pretty quickly.
    Day 3) Guerlain Vetiver.

Mmmm... so mmmmm.... . But then again Iím a fan of Vetiver. My default has been Tom Ford Grey Vetiver but I think this gives it a run for its money. I applied it this morning and weíre going on 12 hours and itís still with me. It smells so good. I definitely got notes of bergamot and lemon at first and then it mellowed out. About an hour in all I got was rooty, earthy, Vetivery goodness. It was almost TOO rooty. Like Bavard I found it a bit odd at first but that didnít last long. It settled down quickly. Throughout the day I received pleasant notes of cedar wood, pepper, and Vetiver. It really is a well balanced fragrance. I love it. Iím buying a bottle.

I also prefer this to the Tom Ford, which is good but slightly more on the clean soapy side. (I do however perfer some niche examples of vetiver to the current iteration of the Guerlain)

Guerlain Vetiver is a reference vetiver, in my experience. It's hard to beat.

Some of the touted alternatives don't work for me: Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire, Etro Vetiver.

My favorite is the Elie Saab Vetiver, and from sampling I've liked a couple of the Lubins. Lubin Le Vetyver /Le Vetiver (for a classic, Guerlain type) and Lubin Le Vetiver Itasca (for a more modern type).