Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
o

Default Re: 10 Days of Guerlain

I just received my 200ml bottle of Guerlain Vetiver today, wonderful fragrance especially the current formulation. I disliked the vintage as it smelled dated and unpleasant. It took me ten years to try it again and now I love the stuff!
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

My Current Favorites

1. Antiquity By Areej le Dore
    2. Musk Cologne By Bortnikoff
    3. Pegwell Bay By Haeckels
    4. Sahraa Oud By Fragrance Du Bois

Glad you enjoyed today's sampling. If I had to choose one Guerlain, it would be Vetiver because I would wear it more often than any other. It's my go-to warmer weather scent. Refreshing but with some complexity from the citrus, tobacco and woods.
    I love the note as the focus of a frag, both lighter, greener vetivers (like Guerlain), and darker rootier vetivers (like the Etro or Lalique's Encre Noire, or even Essential Oils).
    November rotation - incense and smoke : Penhaligon's Elixir; CdG Avignon, Zagorsk; Piguet Casbah; Jacomo Jacomo de Jacomo; Etro Shaal Nur, Messe de Minuit; Odin 07 Tanoke; Unum LAVS, Io Non Ho Mani; Heeley Cardinal, Eau Sacree; Anatole Lebreton Grimoire; Tom Daxon Resin Sacra; Tauer Incense Extreme
    Currently wearing: Équipage by Hermès

Day 4) Guerlain Jicky.. Jicky Jicky, so tricky. I was a little unsure about Jicky. At first sniff I thought it was just “ok”. But after wearing it all day I have to say I really really like this one. The fruity top notes are so delicate and the vanilla gives it a soft feminine vibe. After the cool down I detect notes of amber and patchouli working in wonderful balance to each other. This is a truly balanced fragrance.

Perhaps the most surprising thing about this fragrance was my wife’s reaction to it. I came home about an hour ago and was greeted with my usual hug. But today, she didn’t want to let go. She buried her nose deep in my neck and took in all of that delicious Jicky-ness. She liked it so much once she found out what it was she commandeered my Jicky sample (or what was left of it) for herself. I just placed my order for Vetiver a few moments ago and at the same time purchase a bottle of Jicky for her. We are headed to the Bahamas in April for our 10 year anniversary and I think I will give it to here there. Jicky, two thumbs up.

Quote Originally Posted by Portland View Post
    Day 4) Guerlain Jicky.. Jicky Jicky, so tricky. I was a little unsure about Jicky. At first sniff I thought it was just “ok”. But after wearing it all day I have to say I really really like this one. The fruity top notes are so delicate and the vanilla gives it a soft feminine vibe. After the cool down I detect notes of amber and patchouli working in wonderful balance to each other. This is a truly balanced fragrance.

Perhaps the most surprising thing about this fragrance was my wife’s reaction to it. I came home about an hour ago and was greeted with my usual hug. But today, she didn’t want to let go. She buried her nose deep in my neck and took in all of that delicious Jicky-ness. She liked it so much once she found out what it was she commandeered my Jicky sample (or what was left of it) for herself. I just placed my order for Vetiver a few moments ago and at the same time purchase a bottle of Jicky for her. We are headed to the Bahamas in April for our 10 year anniversary and I think I will give it to here there. Jicky, two thumbs up.
    Agree— Jicky is cozy and sexy. A winner.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.
    Currently wearing: Dune by Christian Dior

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I just received my 200ml bottle of Guerlain Vetiver today, wonderful fragrance especially the current formulation. I disliked the vintage as it smelled dated and unpleasant. It took me ten years to try it again and now I love the stuff!
    A very nice vetiver based scent. Hope you enjoy it in good health.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: No. 19 by Chanel

I love when people love Jicky. It can catch some people off guard with the civet, but it's just a beautiful, second-skin type of scent. My favorite Guerlain, a supernova among stars.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    A very nice vetiver based scent. Hope you enjoy it in good health.
    Thanks, will do.
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

My Current Favorites

1. Antiquity By Areej le Dore
    2. Musk Cologne By Bortnikoff
    3. Pegwell Bay By Haeckels
    4. Sahraa Oud By Fragrance Du Bois

Day 5) Guerlain Homme L’Eau Boisee

I am a fan of woodsy and green fragrances and this one did not disappoint. Since this fragrance is based off of vetiver I was hoping I would like it. And boy do I ever. While vetiver is detectable, it is not overpowering. It works in compliment to the other notes to provide a fresh scent that I would love to wear come spring and summer. To me, this is a manly fragrance but not TOO manly. I know there are notes of mint and rum in this one, but it also has geranium and grass. I feel like a broken record here, but if I had to describe this with one word it would be BALANCED. There was a note I could not quite place so I looked it up. I think what I'm smelling is musk but I can't be sure. Some websites list musk as one of the notes in this fragrance. It is not overpowering, but it does provide a good foundation for some of the lighter notes. Looks like I've got another bottle to add to my shopping cart..
    Two thumbs way up for Homme L'eau Boisee.

Good you're enjoying your Guerlain tryouts.

Re Jicky, I like it too. It has gone a bit through reformulations, I haven't smelled the latest one, but I think perfume critic Luca Turin gave high praises to the latest version. (Unfortunately, the extrait I bought a few years ago was too sweet for my tastes).

If your wives likes Jicky, you can try Mouchoir de Monsieur for yourself. Very close to Jicky, but with more lemon up top and more civet in the drydown. The latest version is very weak, but ok as a light perfume.

cacio

Wearing Perfume Right Now

I still need to sample Jicky and Mouchoir de Monsieur. I had heard a lot of good things about L’Eau Boisee, but it was too modern for me / had some aroma chemical I didn’t like.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    I still need to sample Jicky and Mochoir de Monsieur. I had heard a lot of good things about L’Eau Boisee, but it was too modern for me / had some aroma chemical I didn’t like.
    My wife didn’t like it either. She is a nurse and she said it had a “medicinal” note.

Day 6) Habit Rouge Dress Code.

Since Habit Rouge is one of my favorite scents from Guerlain, I assumed I would love Dress Code. But really, it was just “ok”. I honestly can’t tell why I don’t like it as much, I just don’t. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that it came out of the vial as opposed to being applied with an atomizer, but something feels off. Anyone else experience this with Dress Code?

Wonderful topic so far, really enjoying it so great job. I was underwhelmed by Jicky like you initially was, so it's encouraged me into giving it another go. I have the parfum so it's going to be different, but what the hell.

Also, it's too bad you've not included L'heure Bleue, Apres l'Ondee and Songe d'un Bois d'ete (which despite being a modern and exclusive one I feel fully deserves to be up there with the great classic pillars of the house). Maybe a bonus bonus round?

Quote Originally Posted by zachong View Post
    Wonderful topic so far, really enjoying it so great job. I was underwhelmed by Jicky like you initially was, so it's encouraged me into giving it another go. I have the parfum so it's going to be different, but what the hell.

Also, it's too bad you've not included L'heure Bleue, Apres l'Ondee and Songe d'un Bois d'ete (which despite being a modern and exclusive one I feel fully deserves to be up there with the great classic pillars of the house). Maybe a bonus bonus round?
    For sure. When I hit day 10 I’ll be compiling the recommendations from this thread (including yours) and we will have a round 2 of 10 days

Songe d'un Bois d'eté has now been repackaged at Bois Mysterieux and is more widely available now. Agree that it deserves to be on a second list.

Quote Originally Posted by crashtestbrummie View Post
    Songe d'un Bois d'eté has now been repackaged at Bois Mysterieux and is more widely available now. Agree that it deserves to be on a second list.
    Thanks for the update! I had no idea. Too bad about the bottle change though- the original packaging was sublime, even if I could have never afforded it.

Day 6) Habit Rouge Dress Code.

Since Habit Rouge is one of my favorite scents from Guerlain, I assumed I would love Dress Code. But really, it was just “ok”. I honestly can’t tell why I don’t like it as much, I just don’t. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that it came out of the vial as opposed to being applied with an atomizer, but something feels off. Anyone else experience this with Dress Code?
    What was it that was missing/you did not like from Dress Code ? Does it seem 'dull' ?
    I recently bought decants of Odin 07 Tanoke (bear with me), and from the dabber vial, the topnotes were not much in evidence, and the mid and base were OK but not inspiring. When I transferred to a 5ml spray sample bottle, bingo, there were the topnotes, and the whole scent came alive. I still would not buy a FB, but it was much better.
    November rotation - incense and smoke : Penhaligon's Elixir; CdG Avignon, Zagorsk; Piguet Casbah; Jacomo Jacomo de Jacomo; Etro Shaal Nur, Messe de Minuit; Odin 07 Tanoke; Unum LAVS, Io Non Ho Mani; Heeley Cardinal, Eau Sacree; Anatole Lebreton Grimoire; Tom Daxon Resin Sacra; Tauer Incense Extreme
    Currently wearing: Équipage by Hermès

Thanks for the update! I had no idea. Too bad about the bottle change though- the original packaging was sublime, even if I could have never afforded it.
    Me neither; I missed those threads. Great news indeed if it’s really a straight re-release as it appears based on notes. I’ll have to try to give it a sniff soon and compare with my sample of Songe d’Un Bois d’Ete, as that really was a standout, better than its cousin Dior Leather Oud IMO.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Day 7) Guerlain Santal Royal EDP

I think I'm going to go broke. I have to have this scent. Full bottle, on order. What a beautifully complex fragrance. There is so much to say about Santal Royal. To me, this is sophisticated manliness in a bottle. If Hugh Jackman's rendition of the Wolverine had a baby with Daniel Craig's version of James Bond, then that baby spent a lifetime training in martial arts, survival, only to later became the CEO of the "British Finer Things Club", that baby would smell like Santal Royal when it grew up.

There is so much to enjoy about this scent. Unlike the floral, powdery, and soft scents that I've (mostly) sampled thus far, this is something completely other. When I first applied this scent and the top notes hit my nose I thought "Neroli". Interesting. But that was just the appetizer round. I was then able to detect the faintest bit of cinnamon which was delightfully pleasant to find in such a complex fragrance. But my favorite thing about Santal Royal is the dry down and the soothing base notes that are present.

I had flashbacks to my (now) wife and I going on our first "official" date after having been friends for 2 years. I waited for her to ditch the loser ex-boyfriend and as soon as he messed up, which I knew he would, I swooped in. 2 years was well worth the wait for this woman. We loaded up my Jeep Wrangler and forged into the picturesque mountains of the Pacific Northwest. We drove until the paved roads turned to gravel roads and then dirt roads. Deep in the heart of the Gifford Pinchot National forest I put the Jeep into 4x4 and we abandoned the dirt roads in favor of unexplored terrain. We settled along the banks of a small river where we set up our tent and started a modest campfire. The sweet, smokey smell of the campfire mixed with the sweet peach lotion that she used to wear proved intoxicating.. In an instant Santal Royal transported me back to that spot, on that night, with my lady. And for that, it deserves a spot in my collection.

Hot damn I love this hobby..

Just wanna pop my head in and say that I haven't tried the vintage formulation of Heritage, but I absolutely adore the current EDT, which has a strong, spicy wood smoke character on my skin.

Day 8) Guerlain Mitsouko.

This fragrance is a bit of an enigma for me. Not sure whet to make of it. It’s like a man everlasting gobstopper. The scent changes so smoothly it’s hard to pinpoint certain notes. It smells way different on me than it does on my wife. This scent is both sweet and spicy to me, though not at the same time. I get a lot of the floral notes like lilac and rose whereas my wife detects much more or the fruity notes such as peach and lime. I can’t decide if I like this fragrance or not, perhaps I’ll just leave it at that. The mystery will have me coming back to this one. I do appreciate its complexity though, it was a fun day with Mitsouko.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Fantastic work in this thread, Portland. I'm not sure if I've tried Santal Royal. I tried the oud one that came out around the same time in a similar bottle, and I didn't really like it.

Mitsouko is a favorite of mine, especially on my girlfriend.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    It can catch some people off guard with the civet [...]
    This is exactly what happened to me first time I tried it. Early in my experience with fragrances, civet came across as 'baby poo' and I couldn't 'unsmell' that aspect. I'm ready to give it another try now, though.

Day 8) Guerlain Mitsouko.

This fragrance is a bit of an enigma for me. Not sure whet to make of it. It’s like a man everlasting gobstopper. The scent changes so smoothly it’s hard to pinpoint certain notes. It smells way different on me than it does on my wife. This scent is both sweet and spicy to me, though not at the same time. I get a lot of the floral notes like lilac and rose whereas my wife detects much more or the fruity notes such as peach and lime. I can’t decide if I like this fragrance or not, perhaps I’ll just leave it at that. The mystery will have me coming back to this one. I do appreciate its complexity though, it was a fun day with Mitsouko.
    It's a cliché, but it really did take me a long time to fall in love with Mitsouko. But fall in love with it I eventually did. I think one thing hardly mentioned about it is how incredibly spicy it is- a freezing cold kind of spicy, almost mentholic. Like you also, I don't really detect much of the oft-talked of peach note, but sometimes it clicks and I get what others are talking about.

What I do get is how perfectly blended it is, and unlike no other, is truly a slow kaleidescope of a fragrance, and the best one I know of. It really does reveal itself, slowly, gracefully and statefully. With the profusion of oakmoss and the elegant Guerlain base accord, I think it's the most sublime thing ever, and is the only scent that makes me feel at once at peace and sophisticated on application. No wonder is such a beloved fragrance.

Give it time as it'll slowly but surely grow on you.

It's a cliché, but it really did take me a long time to fall in love with Mitsouko. But fall in love with it I eventually did. I think one thing hardly mentioned about it is how incredibly spicy it is- a freezing cold kind of spicy, almost mentholic. Like you also, I don't really detect much of the oft-talked of peach note, but sometimes it clicks and I get what others are talking about.

What I do get is how perfectly blended it is, and unlike no other, is truly a slow kaleidescope of a fragrance, and the best one I know of. It really does reveal itself, slowly, gracefully and statefully. With the profusion of oakmoss and the elegant Guerlain base accord, I think it's the most sublime thing ever, and is the only scent that makes me feel at once at peace and sophisticated on application. No wonder is such a beloved fragrance.

Give it time as it'll slowly but surely grow on you.
    Wonderful advice. Thank you zachong! I will come back to this one. The complexity of it intrigued me. I think I will order a decent and wear it for a week to see how it goes. Sometimes spending some quality time with a fragrance, like you did, is the ticket.

Day 9) Guerlain Oud Essentiel EDP:

I really don't like Oud. It's thick, and suffocating, and sometimes when mixed with certain other notes it is outright nauseating. However, I LOVE Oud Essentiel. I seriously can't believe I like this. This fragrance is all things manly. It is smokey and leathery in the best possible way. I sprayed one spray on my neck/beard and a half spray on the inside of each wrist. I sprayed it at 5:30 am this morning and it is now 5:30 pm and the scent is still going strong. Funny story, so I was sniffing my wrist all morning at work (I know, creepy) and I must have gotten the Oud fragrance in my nostrils because at lunch when I was brushing my teeth I literally could taste the Oud. It was in the back of my throat. It felt like I took a big whiff of a leather worker's fire pit. I have tried a few of Tom Ford's Ouds in the past and was not a fan. I am SO glad I tried this. This will probably be the first official bottle of Oud fragrance that I have owned. Not only that, but it has encouraged me to explore other Ouds. So if you have a favorite, post it below (doesn't have to be Guerlain). Guerlain Oud Essentiel, a big yes from me.

One day to go in my little adventure...

Glad you found something you like so much. I didn't like Santal royal myself, perhaps because it didn't smell like sandalwood. But now you make me want to try oud essentiel. who knows, perhaps that won't smell of oud either-but the important thing is that it smells good.

I suggest checking out Diptyque Oud Palao if you want a reasonably priced, quality oud example. It’s built around a pretty typical rose/oud combo, but the price/quality ratio is high, and the oud, while synthetic, is convincing. (Real oud ain’t cheap.)

I found both Oud Essential and Santal Royal to be disappointingly harsh and synthetic, myself, but glad you enjoyed both! And yeah, per Cacio, I didn’t get much/any sandalwood from Santal - but fond memories beat note accuracy! Your words are convincing on both, and I may have dignout my samples for another go!

Great writeup on Mitsouko by the way!

Honestly--this is something I should do too. You always hear about Guerlain and the classic perfumes that have come out of this house. This will be a good experience I'm sure!

Day 10) Guerlain L’Instant de Guerlain Eu de Parfum

We have reached the end. What a fun journey. I had so much fun. I ended with this fragrance because this is one that was HIGHLY recommended by the group. LIDGE EDP is a wonderful fragrance. LIDGE has fruity top notes that (to me) remind me a bit of Shalimar on first application. There are definitely floral notes as well though I found it difficult to pinpoint exactly which floral notes were in play. The cool down was mellow and soft. I detected notes of amber and vanilla. The performance was quite good as I have been able to smell it throughout the entire day. While I enjoyed this scent, it reminded me too much of other fragrances from Guerlain. Perhaps with some time this fragrance would start to adopt its own identity for me to want to buy a bottle, but for now it just isn't different enough for me to pursue a whole bottle. Do not misunderstand me, it is a wonderful fragrance and worth buying. I may look at some of the other offerings such as LIDGE Extreme to see how that goes.

For now, I am happy with what I have discovered on this journey. There have been some surprises, a few disappointments, but an overall great time. I already have my second batch of samples on order, though I mixed it up a bit in that batch (not exclusively Guerlain).

Thank you all for the comments and the feedback, we'll have to do it again!