Code of Conduct

Default How to decant 300mL of old formula Mugler cologne?

I snagged this off eBay:

mugler.jpg

I'm looking forward to it, but it's a splash and not a spray. I've read on this forum about how it's not good to have air in the bottle, which there would most certainly be if I decanted 100mL out of the bottle and left the rest in there, so I'm thinking just decant the entire contents into, what.......10 30mL decants? 3 100mL decants?

I don't actually own any empty decants, so I'd have to order some, but thought I'd get some feedback from here on how best to go about this. Also, any brand recommendations on decants? I've purchased Enslz and Riverrun decants before and they were nice.

Thanks in advance.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: How to decant 300mL of old formula Mugler cologne?

Ten 30ml decants would drive me crazy. I’d go with three 100’s, or, maaaaaaaybe, six 50’s. I’ve used Riverrun and they were fine. I prefer to use ‘brown’ or opaque bottles for anything that will store for a while, for resistance to sunlight’s UV rays. I seal the threads of the screw down sprayer on the bottle with Teflon tape. I use some that I get from work (I work with chemicals) and it’s fine for perfumes.

If you wanted to get completely donkey with it, like I have on a couple items but likely wouldn’t with Mugler Cologne, you could go this route: Boston brown ‘sample’ bottles, Teflon tape, and then either ‘pad’ the fragrance with an inert gas or vacuum seal the container, then store in a climate controlled system like a wine cooler. But getting to this level of store decanted stuff requires you to be willing to hit a new level of crazy. like me. Lmao. (This level of protection is only reserved for items extremely precious and/or valuable ie. hard to replace.)

Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by mustardsalad View Post
    3 100mL decants?
    Probably your best bet.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Doesn't it come with a sprayer in the box?

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Probably your best bet.
    Gosh, yeah, I'd say 100ml is pretty okay (six of 50 would probably have me feeling a little claustrophobic, not to mention 10 of 30)
    "I mean, this world without a leopard? Who'd wanna live in it?" - Diana Vreeland

Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    Doesn't it come with a sprayer in the box?
    Not that I'm aware of. Even if it did, 300mL means there's going to be a lot of air in the bottle for a considerable amount of time once it starts to get used up.

I wouldn't worry about air if you are planning to use this within 5-10 years. Otherwise, it seems 100ml is a good compromise.

I don't know if the cap can be removed from that bottle. If so, remember to buy a pipette to decant. If not, you'll net a small funnel. I buy decant bottles at bestbottles.com. They do require a minimum order.

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I wouldn't worry about air if you are planning to use this within 5-10 years. Otherwise, it seems 100ml is a good compromise.

I don't know if the cap can be removed from that bottle. If so, remember to buy a pipette to decant. If not, you'll net a small funnel. I buy decant bottles at bestbottles.com. They do require a minimum order.
    I did this with a Dior Homme Intense bottle. I was able to remove the sprayer by heating up the neck with warm water for a few minutes to soften the plastic encasing. Sprayer came off after some applied force.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Dependent

I think you should go for 600x 0.5mL vials. Dot them around the house and see how long it takes for anyone to notice them. When they do, say it's your smelly troops and that they only answer to you. You could keep a 'leaderboard' to see how long it takes people to notice them, if at all.

You could also sing '600 vials of Cologne on the wall' and do shots of them (not advised).

In all seriousness, 3x 100mL would be my choice.

Default How to decant 300mL of old formula Mugler cologne?

The air-issue is a little silly. Sprays still squirts tiny amounts of air into the juice with each pump, which is a good thing. That promotes maceration and 'softens up' any sharp edges of the composition, making it age beautifully. Why does Pinaud Clubman smell better decanted into glass? Air and the glass itself.
    You should worry more about human contamination with splashes
    Just my experiences.
    Anyways, congrats on the MC! It's a good frag. Enjoy much
    Nobody puts POLO in the corner!

wearing dad's aftershave™

Quote Originally Posted by Marand75
    The air-issue is a little silly. Sprays still squirts tiny amounts of air into the juice with each pump, which is a good thing. That promotes maceration and 'softens up' any sharp edges of the composition, making it age beautifully.
    Agreed. I feel that many perfumes open up and smooth out once the bottle starts to get used. For this very reason I'll start using a backup bottle even while the original bottle has plenty remaining.

The killers for perfume are light, then heat. Air is a blip on the "risk-gauge" compared to those two.

/Acey

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    The air-issue is a little silly. Sprays still squirts tiny amounts of air into the juice with each pump, which is a good thing. That promotes maceration and 'softens up' any sharp edges of the composition, making it age beautifully. Why does Pinaud Clubman smell better decanted into glass? Air and the glass itself.
    You should worry more about human contamination with splashes
    Just my experiences.
    Anyways, congrats on the MC! It's a good frag. Enjoy much
    I should decant mine.
    oh look, I have a signature

Quote Originally Posted by AceyMan View Post
    Agreed. I feel that many perfumes open up and smooth out once the bottle starts to get used.

/Acey
    Excactly. The best example I can give, is my current (2016) bottle of Grey Flannel. It was very sharp and searing to begin with, so I only used it 3 or 4 times and then retired it. A few weeks ago I came to think of it and wanted to try again, so I emptied the tube by turning the bottle upside down while pumping the sprayer (always a good idea if the bottle has been sitting for a longer period of time and/or if buying pre-owned bottles). I tried it and it was a world of difference. Much smoother and matured. Still sharp (as it should be) but felt totally balanced.
    In addition, the juice-colour had darkened considerably from new-juice pale to a golden amber.
    That really makes me take a new look at the whole 'Vintage vs New' thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I should decant mine.
    Never a bad thing, no matter what. The whole ageing, decanting, maturing process thinginging is interresting as hell
    Nobody puts POLO in the corner!

I have a 300 ml bottle soon after it's release and the one I have comes with a little plastic funnel but no extra spray - the bottle itself is not a spray bottle as the cap is a very unusual twist cap attached to the bottle and does not come off easily. You have to twist the cap halfway to release the 'opening' to pour/dab the cologne and there is no option to replace that cap with a sprayer - I have had to let the liquid drip out of the bottle in a small decant, it takes a little while as you need to shake the bottle a little for the liquid to come out (may work differently with other techniques) - it does not pour out easily. The cap itself has a plastic lining attached to the bottle and does not really comes off - I have not figured out if the whole cap thing is removed from the bottle, would it fit into the bottle again. It's very difficult to explain how the cap function works as it is so unusual! I have not used the bottle for such a long time and tried it again today - could not detect any difference in the scent itself, so cannot see how the 'air' bit could have changed the scent ….. still a wonderful scent regardless and a lovely bottle.

I snagged this off eBay:

mugler.jpg

I'm looking forward to it, but it's a splash and not a spray. I've read on this forum about how it's not good to have air in the bottle, which there would most certainly be if I decanted 100mL out of the bottle and left the rest in there, so I'm thinking just decant the entire contents into, what.......10 30mL decants? 3 100mL decants?

I don't actually own any empty decants, so I'd have to order some, but thought I'd get some feedback from here on how best to go about this. Also, any brand recommendations on decants? I've purchased Enslz and Riverrun decants before and they were nice.

Thanks in advance.

I had a 300ml ml back in the day. Got it the same way, but formula was newer and it did come with a spray.

I did make a couple of large bottle decants/splits to swap. I can't even remember now, but I know I used a funnel...so I think I poured it swiftly. It worked out fine and the supplies came from Sally's Perfume Accessories.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Pomegranate Noir, Midnight in Paris EDP, Feeling Man, Essence of John Galliano, Azzaro pour Homme (vintage),...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Aramis Calligraphy Rose, Penhaligon's Esprit de Roi, PdE Ambre Russe, Jil Sander Feeling Man ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

all-three.jpg

All right, gentlemen, I've decanted the whole 300mL bottle into 3 100mL decants. I also made some print-outs for the labels, cut them out with an exacto knife, and adhered it on with double-sided tape. Aaz was right - the cap didn't come off all the way; only twisted open just a bit, and it took a long time to drip the contents out into these bottles. Not something I'd really want to do again, but hey, now I have original formulation Mugler cologne likely to last me a lifetime.

Basenotes Plus

all-three.jpg

All right, gentlemen, I've decanted the whole 300mL bottle into 3 100mL decants. I also made some print-outs for the labels, cut them out with an exacto knife, and adhered it on with double-sided tape. Aaz was right - the cap didn't come off all the way; only twisted open just a bit, and it took a long time to drip the contents out into these bottles. Not something I'd really want to do again, but hey, now I have original formulation Mugler cologne likely to last me a lifetime.
    Impressive work!