Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Reflection Man.. did I miss something?

I recently purchased a sample of Reflection Man on Ebay, from a reputable seller, although I have never dealt with this seller, they had 100% feedback. I wanted to see what all the hype was about, on the only Amouage that I've had on my test list and haven't smelled yet.

I was under the impression this was going to be a masculine floral fragrance that is reminiscent of Le Male.

Well.. here's what I got. Excited yesterday, coming home to a small package, I open it up, spray it on a perfectly non-fragrant hand.. and what I got.. wow. TENNIS BALLS. That's all I smell are tennis balls. Or maybe a new pair of shoes, not necessarily leather shoes either, but just that new shoe smell (usually it's only the case with white leather shoes). This accord of tennis balls, or perhaps just some weird interpretation of leather, goes, and goes, starts off super strong, stays linear, and keeps going for a couple hours, although I am turned off by the smell, I am intrigued and can't stop sniffing my hand. Around 2 hours in it starts to smell like Fleur du Male to me, not so much Le Male.

Would anyone else agree with this? Does anyone else find the description and reviews of this fragrance extremely deceptive? I was expecting a niche level and quality type of a people pleasing fragrance. I don't see what is so pleasing about the highly synthetic smelling opening. Or maybe my sniffer is just broken?

The reasoning for my initial line on this post, is because I am assuming the sample I got is authentic, based on the sellers feedback. In the event, it wasn't then what the hell am I smelling?
    "Where there's gold, there's a gold digger" -Dashboard Confessional

Default Re: Reflection Man.. did I miss something?

He sent you some other perfume instead of Reflection. Gucci Guilty Absolute most probably.

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Tic Tac Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I was under the impression this was going to be a masculine floral fragrance that is reminiscent of Le Male.
    Nope.

Le Male: Vanilla. Lavender. Mint. Cinnamon. Tonka. Amber. Cardamom. Caraway. Artemisia. They even list lime.

Reflection Man has none of those notes. Not a single one. Reflection Man has jasmine, patchouli, pink pepper, rosemary, orris root, vetiver, petitgrain... none of those are listed in Le Male.

Both scents have orange blossom and sandalwood, but these two scents are more different than they are similar.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    APOM
    Petit Matin
    Royal Oud
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Dior Homme
    Prada L'Homme
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Interlude Man
    Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne
    Hanae Mori H.M. (EDT)
    Green Irish Tweed
    Pomelo Paradis
    Aqua Universalis
    Currently wearing: Castile by Penhaligon's

Quote Originally Posted by Russlan View Post
    He sent you some other perfume instead of Reflection. Gucci Guilty Absolute most probably.
    Not necessarily, you know! To me, "Baccarat Rouge 540" by Maison Francis Kurkdjian smells like swimming pool water! (Literally, that's not an exaggeration!) And..I can't smell tuberose at all in "Poison" by Dior (the original Poison) and the people who made the perfume (and market it) say it's supposed to have tuberose in the heart note. I get some sweet and kind of fruity smell in it instead. (It's not bad, but it's not white floral.) And I have tested those from the bottle, in department stores..not a sketchy decant or sample I got in the mail. Yeah..I've found in my experience of testing perfumes that some actually do smell odd to me! Not everyone smells the synthetic chemicals they use to make perfumes the same way!

Quote Originally Posted by Russlan View Post
    No, I own the Gucci, and it's definitely not that.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Nope.

Le Male: Vanilla. Lavender. Mint. Cinnamon. Tonka. Amber. Cardamom. Caraway. Artemisia. They even list lime.

Reflection Man has none of those notes. Not a single one.

Both scents have orange blossom and sandalwood, but look at that long list of notes in Le Male for how they differ.

These two scents are more different than they are similar.
    I definitely get the orange blossom. I think this is a note in Fleur du Male too, and that's why I seeing the similarities.

Blog Entries

I definitely get the orange blossom. I think this is a note in Fleur du Male too, and that's why I seeing the similarities.
    It sounds like you got the right sample.

Reflection Man was a weird one for me. It took me a few tries before it clicked with me. I went through 2 samples before I committed to a bottle. I'd say it's in my top 20, but definitely not my top 10... sometimes, I love the stuff! Other times, it bugs me... but it's been an out of the ballpark home run in terms of compliments, so I mostly wear it on dates.

I don't get the comparisons to Le Male. Then again, people often compare it to APOM and I don't get that either.

I think far too many people pick up on one or two notes that different scents both have and they declare emphatically that the two are identical. Sometimes, the comparisons are downright wacky.
    Castile
    APOM
    Petit Matin
    Royal Oud
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Dior Homme
    Prada L'Homme
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Interlude Man
    Hanae Mori H.M. (EDT)
    Green Irish Tweed
    Pomelo Paradis
    Aqua Universalis

was not impressed

Let's Dance

It's got nothing in common to Le Mâle, but is in the same ballpark as Fleur du Mâle. I'm not sure how tennis balls smell like (never got any smell out of them).

It's the most underwhelming Amouage I've ever tried.

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    It's got nothing in common to Le Mâle, but is in the same ballpark as Fleur du Mâle. I'm not sure how tennis balls smell like (never got any smell out of them).

It's the most underwhelming Amouage I've ever tried.
    pretty much, I was not wowed

If anything, it smells like Floris Santal and Balenciaga Cristobal to me.
    YouTube reviews with integrity: My "FragReviews" Channel
    Favorite House: Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    Fragrance Sales: eBay Store

Thanks for the feedback. So I am totally getting the Fleur du Male vibe. I'll spend some more time with it of course, these are just initial impressions, and wanted to discuss it.

Tennis Balls... have you compared the note with Imaginary Authors' Soft Lawn?
    Currently wearing: Legend Night by Montblanc

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

This one was not among the Amouages I enjoyed trying.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by jabar View Post
    Wondering the same thing.

Note to self: buy some new tennis balls to sniff

Man, I'd say maybe consider picking up another carded sample from a different seller. Tennis Balls...yikes. Have you tried spraying it on a tennis ball?
    "I drank what?" -Socrates

Dependent

Masterpiece to my nose and is on my top 10
    BN9 -Amouage Ref Man -PDM Layton -Kristiansand NY -YSL L'Homme -Dior Fahrenheit -HDP 1725 -TF Ombre Leather -Mancera CB-RT -Creed V
    Currently wearing: Herod by Parfums de Marly

Blog Entries

Try saving the rest of your sample for a nice spring day. Reflection Man is a scent that, to me, seems to smell different in different weather. The florals pop more in warm weather.
    Castile
    APOM
    Petit Matin
    Royal Oud
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Dior Homme
    Prada L'Homme
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Interlude Man
    Hanae Mori H.M. (EDT)
    Green Irish Tweed
    Pomelo Paradis
    Aqua Universalis

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Try saving the rest of your sample for a nice spring day. Reflection Man is a scent that, to me, seems to smell different in different weather. The florals pop more in warm weather.
    I will do that, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by jabar View Post
    No I have not.

Dunhill Fresh also has this same accord I am referring to, if you guys have ever smelled that.

Tennis balls, mostly new ones, have a distinctive rubbery, chemical, and almost leathery smell. Similar to the "New Car" smell, but a little more funky.

What colour is the juice in your sample?

I liked it quite a lot at first, but ended up getting tired of it quite quickly...a bit too powdery, especially in the base.

The negative reviews for it are quite high on BN (35%).
    MY UK SPLITS (2019): HERE

Soft Lawn is great! I don't get tennis balls from Reflection Man. I can kinda see the similarity to Le Male until you compare them side by side and you start wondering what makes them similar. I think Reflection Man is very elegant and does get powdery in a good way (for me). Definitely give it a few more full wearings before making final judgment.

Can anyone comment on performance of the newer Reflection Man batches?
    Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book, just turn the page.

"It smells really good, it's not Aventus though."

Quote Originally Posted by morrison74 View Post
    What colour is the juice in your sample?

I liked it quite a lot at first, but ended up getting tired of it quite quickly...a bit too powdery, especially in the base.

The negative reviews for it are quite high on BN (35%).
    It's pretty much clear.

I think I'm finding the orange blossom note too overwhelming.

I never really read the reviews on BN, I just see it brought up a lot as peoples favorite fragrance. Both on BN, and Youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by deltasun View Post
    Soft Lawn is great! I don't get tennis balls from Reflection Man. I can kinda see the similarity to Le Male until you compare them side by side and you start wondering what makes them similar. I think Reflection Man is very elegant and does get powdery in a good way (for me). Definitely give it a few more full wearings before making final judgment.
    I will absolutely, and as L'homme Blanc recommends, I will try it on a Spring day. I know weather can play a huge role as well, and although yesterday wasn't humid, it was kind of muggy from previous rains, so that could have impacted my sense of smell too. Although, I was inside in the a/c when I sampled it.

I feel it probably just wont be for me.

As for Soft Lawn. I have been meaning to buy an Imaginary Authors discovery set, I really wanna try most of their fragrances. Specifically - Every Storm a Serenade, as it looks to be right up my alley in terms of notes. I think the concept of the house is brilliant, and from trusted reviewers and friends, I see tons of good feedback.

Freed from BN Institution

Never tried this one before. This is first time that I'm seeing Fleur du Malle. I've seen past reviews that linked Le Male to it. Interesting comparison.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

I have and like Reflection Man, but certainly it's not a scent for every day.

I do however get a very mint accord to it even though it's not a note.

It's pretty much clear.

I think I'm finding the orange blossom note too overwhelming.

I never really read the reviews on BN, I just see it brought up a lot as peoples favorite fragrance. Both on BN, and Youtube.
    Okay. My official sample is also clear, not that that proves anything really. However, if it wasn't clear, it would be a concern.

I also found the orange blossom to be a bit too strong in this. And the sweet jasmine.
    Last edited by morrison74; 21st February 2019 at 10:12 AM.
    MY UK SPLITS (2019): HERE

I get powdery bounce dryer sheet from reflection. Not necessarily in a bag way either, just a very crisp fragrance to me.

I think you have to like Jasmine to enjoy this one.
    It is the most floral frag in my collection. Just barely crosses the line into wearability, but has a great smell and people like it on me.
    It's great for going out and getting noticed.....but for all the right reasons.