Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Check out this youtubers insane collection!

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    This same thing was posted a year or so ago. Wonder what happened to that one.

This is a public display of neuroticism that is interfering with overall functioning.

He’s reached the point of needing some help.
    With apologies in advance if in any way off-topic, but since we are sharing film quotes on this thread anyway, this remark reminded me of one quote from "Wall Street II: Money never sleeps" (2010, quotes also visible here: https://www.springfieldspringfield.c...y-never-sleeps), where one of the more important characters, although it becomes clear (though no major spoiler) that he may be one major self absorbed characters and even one of the main villains of the sequel, nevertheless quite poignantly remarks:

"
    Do you collect?
    No.
    Only the obsessive-compulsive
    and the insecurely egotistical
    feel the need to collect things." (BN contributors naturally excluded)

For some reason, this reply did remind me of this particular film quote-minus the more dramatic voice of Josh Brolin and the more inquisitive, but also more calming one of Shia LaBeouf in acting this particular scene.
    Did not manage to find this very line on YT, even if there are plenty of clips including of the respective scene but oddly not the actual quote on this online platform.
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 6th March 2019 at 09:41 PM.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Envy View Post
    storing anything in such a fashion just doesn’t sit well with me, I like things neat and accessible.
    I feel the same way.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Looks more like old stock but either way, nice collection.

Basenotes Plus

Creepy. Joyless, in a way, of items that were created for the purpose of joy.
    "Elegance is innate. It has nothing to do with being well dressed. Elegance is refusal." ---Diana Vreeland, VOGUE
    "Stink elegant!" ---C. J. Lacey, grandfather

Quote Originally Posted by mammakay View Post
    Creepy. Joyless, in a way, of items that were created for the purpose of joy.
    Profoundly stated.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Oriane View Post
    Can you imagine the explosion if the house caught on fire?!? It would probably take out six city blocks!
    But look in the silver lining- they would possibly be the best smelling city blocks!

Currently wearing: Jubilation XXV by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by LatinNote View Post
    But look in the silver lining- they would possibly be the best smelling city blocks!

Well, there is that to consider.
    Fate gives all of us three teachers, three friends, three enemies, and three great loves in our lives. But these twelve are always disguised, and we never know which one is which until we've loved them, left them, or fought them.

Gregory David Roberts

Well, there is that to consider.
    I try.
    Currently wearing: Jubilation XXV by Amouage

This thread is insane!
    "We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time." ~ Huey Lewis & The News
    "If you don't stop and take a look around once in awhile, you might miss it." ~ Ferris Bueller

Wanted Thread
    For Swap Thread
    For Sale Thread
    Currently wearing: Drifter by True Religion

Basenotes Plus

I screened a few more minutes of it. It is indeed looks like hoarding. What is the point of this? He has a lot of fairly rare, beautiful, sealed in box fragrances, often several of a kind. What is the purpose of this? I do not understand it.
    I was struck by how haphazard it was. All those beautiful bottles just thrown into boxes. Sigh. I agree, clutterer-hoarder type "collection".
    “The unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their own”
    ― Fernando Pessoa

Not feeling the Love for the fumes in that there viddy.
    “You are the bait. The bait is you.” ~Trick or Treat (1986)
    “Have a good time, all the time. That is my philosophy.” ~This Is Spinal Tap (1984)
    “Thrrrow yourselves into the river, dahlings!” ~Withnail and I (1987)

Dependent

That is not a collection, looks more like storage, as most of the bottles are sealed.

Quote Originally Posted by techt View Post
    That is not a collection, looks more like storage
    That was my first thought upon viewing it.

Get that man some help, someone! Looks like someone suffering from obsessive compulsive disorder. What is this guy's story anyway? Did he own a store at one time or other? Is he an online seller? If he doesn't sell online maybe he should and put the money into fixing up the dump he's living in. Or buy a couple of 8' high bookcases and organize them. Having them scattered all over the house like that is really nuts.

What the!
    He has half of the remaining world-wide reserves of Gucci Nobile!
    And Chanels under a sink?! What!

I think you are right. As an aside, I wonder how many are fakes?

Quote Originally Posted by painted_klown View Post
    I have to say that I am simultaneously awed and repulsed by this video. Awed in the size of the collection. Repulsed by how so many of them are poorly stored. I am new to fragrances, but seeing this saddens me a bit. Those juices should be getting loved, not tossed around like piles of junk.

I do agree with some assessments that this is probably someone's hoarding gone out of control, or it was inherited and the new owner was simply overwhelmed. I'd like to think the person who put this collection together had done so with admiration for the fragrances.
    It's more likely someone had a store that went out of business and instead of liquidating his inventory, for whatever reason, took it with him/her instead.

That's what I thought. It's great to have passions or interests that occupy your mind and keep you out of trouble, but there is a difference between hobby and pathology.