Code of Conduct

Thread: Orange Blossom

Default Orange Blossom

Hi everyone! I just want your opinion/advice on Orange Blossom.
    Seen as there are a lot of orange blossom accords/oils synthetic or actual essential oil or absolutes by several companies.
    I just wondered which you regard as decent version? not worried about price etc.

Thank you.

Default Re: Orange Blossom

I ordered the Orange Blossom Absolute-Fine and the Orange Blossom Organic Extract from Eden Botanicals.

All I can say is the absolute - fine is not only nicer than the organic extract (which is nice), but it is about the nicest thing I have ever smelled.

And you better not be worried about price because it is expensive.

Any synthetic orange blossoms recommended? I'm getting bad performances from my absolute.

Quote Originally Posted by SharpLess View Post
    I'm getting bad performances from my absolute.
    Bad how?

Quote Originally Posted by Jbchi33 View Post
    Bad how?
    Not long lasting as I hoped. the site I got it from is fishy though.

Basenotes Plus

Have you tried the PA Orange Flower key accord, as a starting point?
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    Have you tried the PA Orange Flower key accord, as a starting point?
    Sadly I cannot purchase from Perfumers Apprentice anymore as i'm in the UK and no matter what I purchase the shipping is crazy. I added a 3ml bottle and its $80 shipping.
    Shame as they're pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by GemJedi View Post
    I ordered the Orange Blossom Absolute-Fine and the Orange Blossom Organic Extract from Eden Botanicals.

All I can say is the absolute - fine is not only nicer than the organic extract (which is nice), but it is about the nicest thing I have ever smelled.

Awesome thank you! If they shipping reasonable i'll try to get one. Good heads up though, i'll check out other Absolutes from reputable places ����

Quote Originally Posted by SharpLess View Post
    Not long lasting as I hoped. the site I got it from is fishy though.
    Yeah there's a couple of people selling weird absolutes cheap on ebay etc. I'd say seen as you're in the US, eden botanicals or Perfumers apprentice should be great!

Jfrater has a good orange blossom accord on his blog:
    http://frater.com/blog/

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by kida2007 View Post
    Sadly I cannot purchase from Perfumers Apprentice anymore as i'm in the UK and no matter what I purchase the shipping is crazy. I added a 3ml bottle and its $80 shipping.
    Shame as they're pretty good.
    As they post the formula, you can always make it yourself...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by GemJedi View Post

I have purchased both of these in the past (maybe two years ago), and I agree with GemJedi's assessment --- both are very nice, but Eden Botanical's Orange Blossom Absolute - Fine was significantly nicer, and seemed very nearly like smelling fresh orange blossoms right on the tree. But yeah, you better have deep pockets to buy any meaningful quantity of this one!

I think the reason why so many orange blossom absolutes do not smell very true to life, or seem "dirty" or muddled, is because many distillers/extractors are lazy and/or cheap and do not separate out enough of the twigs and/or leaves from the blossoms, giving most orange blossom absolutes a 'dirty green' petitgrain component (which I loathe), which is often as prominent in the final product as the blossom fragrance itself.

Quote Originally Posted by akguy View Post
    I have purchased both of these in the past (maybe two years ago), and I agree with GemJedi's assessment --- both are very nice, but Eden Botanical's Orange Blossom Absolute - Fine was significantly nicer, and seemed very nearly like smelling fresh orange blossoms right on the tree. But yeah, you better have deep pockets to buy any meaningful quantity of this one!

I think the reason why so many orange blossom absolutes do not smell very true to life, or seem "dirty" or muddled, is because many distillers/extractors are lazy and/or cheap and do not separate out enough of the twigs and/or leaves from the blossoms, giving most orange blossom absolutes a 'dirty green' petitgrain component (which I loathe), which is often as prominent in the final product as the blossom fragrance itself.
    Awesome Iíll have to try it then! Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by kida2007 View Post
    Awesome I’ll have to try it then! Thanks for your help.
    You are welcome, Kida! And please let us know your evaluation(s) of whichever orange blossom absolute(s) you end up purchasing.

The Fine is definitely worth the extra cash. I have both and the regular has a bitter green, harsh aspect in the top, but dries out just fine. The Fine smells as you would expect and as mentioned, like a fresh orange blossom.

I used the Eden standard OB abs. in Jamie Frater's accord listed above, and it is really nice. Take his advice and get the best petitgrain you can find (the Robertet from PSH is what I used, lovely).

I'm also going to vouch for EB's Fine absolute. I mixed it all with some perfume alcohol to stretch it because it's so dear, but it's also quite strong.

You are welcome, Kida! And please let us know your evaluation(s) of whichever orange blossom absolute(s) you end up purchasing.
    Went with the Moroccan Absolute from Hermitage oils in the end as it's easier to get hold of.
    It smells absolutely beautiful and I can't wait to dilute it and get working, it's more towards the Neroli spectrum with a gorgeous sweet heady blossom smell.
    Successful purchase though so i'll probably order the Eden (fine) one in the future. Might be the same stuff who knows lol.
    Thanks for the advice

I got some linalyl anthranilate on the way, pretty pricey but it's supposedly one of the best orange blossom/linalool ACs, will provide feedback if I remember.

I've found that Orange Blossom Absolute smells somewhat like Tuberose and Jasmine Grandiflorum mixed together in certain proportions. Not exactly, but close as Orange Blossom has it's own unique characteristics.

I'm so glad that others here have pointed out that a fellow member of the forum has actually made a useful accord that one can put together on their own. It's about time!

Quote Originally Posted by tuscaloosatanning View Post
    Ive made it.
    It is a great accord!
    Know your "why," and the how is there.

Quote Originally Posted by tuscaloosatanning View Post
    I made this accord from this blog this past weekend. It's really really lovely and so potent.