Code of Conduct

Default Paco Rabanne Buy The Numbers: Vintage vs. Newer

A few months ago I scored a bottle of PRPH for the first time and it was wonderful; that's the bottle on the left. Recently I wanted to get more and purchased the bottle on the right which, except for it being a tester, appears exactly the same in every way. HOWEVER, my first bottle (left) has a stronger oak moss scent while my recent purchase has a soapy oak moss scent. I'm aware that there are two, or more, versions out there and have done my homework. Does anyone have information on original/vintage, 2nd gen, 3rd gen, etc., and how to tell the difference? Large line drawn PR vs smaller bold filled in PR on the bottle; made in France vs. Spain; older, lighter colored boxes vs. new bright green boxes; 90% on the bottle, etc.
    PC1.jpg
    PC2.jpg
    PC3.jpg
    Currently wearing: 1881 pour Homme by Cerruti

Default Re: Paco Rabanne Buy The Numbers: Vintage vs. Newer

Everything you need to know (and more!) here Professor sir!:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/376...g-Buying-Guide

Thank you, Derbyman. Wow, this is amazing. I tried an Advanced Search in the Forum but came up empty. I don't believe I was doing it correctly. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Value View Post
    Thank you, Derbyman. Wow, this is amazing. I tried an Advanced Search in the Forum but came up empty. I don't believe I was doing it correctly. Ugh.
    You're welcome! I'm a big Paco Rabanne PH fan. It was one of the first fragrances I owned and was lucky enough to find a decent vintage bottle a few years ago which smells like I remember it from way back when. Andre's site http://raidersofthelostscent.blogspot.com/?m=1 has a wealth of invaluable info on many great scents. Best of luck in your search and let us all know if you track down some vintage Paco...!

Funny this thread should come up......out of the blue I decided to start looking up Paco Rabanne Pour Homme last week out of curiosity - I'm 35 and had only heard of the fragrance via a quick reference in Breaking Bad, so I looked at that buyer's guide and decided to purchase a sample of the original stuff (2nd formulation) on ebay. It came in the mail today and I gave it a spritz.

I was expecting to have smelled this before, but I hadn't. Yes, I get a bit of Irish Spring vibe to it, but with higher quality ingredients, so it's enough to be its "own thing" to me. I can tell it has oakmoss, and it's all very well rounded, but it's not quite for me. To my generation, "shower fresh" was what all the men's body wash/soap/grooming products in the 90s smelled like, and that scent that all those bath products at the time co-opted was Drakkar Noir...not this. So to me it doesn't smell that dated because I don't have that olfactory memory reference of "clean" to PRPH's scent profile. Funny how generations have different psychological associations around scent profiles, huh?

If I really wanted a "barbershop" fragrance today, I'd probably get the fragrance of Barrister and Mann's Seville scent (the company makes shaving products.) But still, I respect PRPH for what it was back in the day, and luckily if you really really like this stuff, it's not too expensive to grab a vintage in good condition now.

I do like barbershop frags, mustardsalad, and my favorite is Maison Martin Margiela's At the Barber. Recently tried Penhaligan's Sartorial and, while very nice, it's not different enough from my MM ATB. I may give Seville a whirl. Thanks.

I'm happy to report that I just purchased a Gen 1 version of PRPH and am very excited for the USPS to deliver it! Thanks, again, all.
    s-l500.jpg

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I'm happy to report that I just purchased a Gen 1 version of PRPH and am very excited for the USPS to deliver it! Thanks, again, all.
    s-l500.jpg
    Congrats to you and enjoy it!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

s-l500.jpg
    Wow remember my father always wearing that, had completely forgotten about it as a fragrance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk