Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 52
  1. #1

    thebeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Biggest Little City
    Posts
    4,164

    Default AENOTUS by Puredistance

    Promtional verbage from Puredistance:
    "More than ten years ago I founded Puredistance and I really love all eight perfumes we have done so far, but I missed my own signature scent in our collection.
    Three years ago (May 2015) I decided to start up the process of creating one. I came up with the name AENOTUS and asked Antoine Lie in Paris to create my
    signature scent. We met in Paris and I showed him the idea behind AENOTUS. A perfume that would first refresh and then - unlike the 1000+ perfumes that are fresh
    but quickly fade away - transform into a sensual, but subtle (skin)scent. A refined and silently seductive perfume that doesn’t give away its personality to everyone
    instantly.
    It took us nearly three years, we had to increase the perfume oil percentage to an unprecedented 48%, and we had to overcome our frustrations more than once,
    before we were satisfied. The result is a perfume that, despite its high percentage of perfume oil, is not loud - and after an intense and fresh opening - transforms into a
    delicate scent, very close to the skin. Only those dear and near will be close enough to enjoy its subtle and intriguing character.
    I knew I was asking Antoine something complicated. And indeed, it turned out to be a complex task to combine freshness with a warm and long lasting sensuality. I will
    not forget the commitment Antoine has put into our cooperation; he never gave up and kept on sending me rework after rework." - Jan Ewoud Vos

    THE COMPOSITION
    Top: Orange, Mandarin, Lemon & Yuzu
    Heart : Mint, Blackcurrant bud & Petitgrain
    Base : Oakmoss, Patchouli & Musks

    I sampled the 48% concentration AENOTUS today. The description Jan Ewoud Vos gave above is right on the money.
    Nice and refreshing. Not loud. Still going after 17 hours. My Wife gave me a hug after driving 700 miles today. She says whats that your wearing? It smells good.
    Let me tell you, I smelled good all day and then some.

    The perfect signature scent for the owner of Puredistance, and anyone else that has as much class as he does. Not that I do, but I'm trying.
    Another MASTERPIECE from The Master Perfume House

    I thought because of the increased concentration the price on AENOTUS would be a bit more. It's priced the same as the others. Another classy move from Puredistance. Typically a company would raise the price.

    The reason I'm not going to go on and on with my day with AENOTUS is because I want everyone focus on the first paragraph from Jan Ewoud Vos's very accurate description.
    BTW - you won't fully understand what he's saying until you wear AENOTUS yourself. At least I didn't understand.
    Available March 1st at Puredistance dealers.

    I did want to spend a minute talking about "fresh". That word conjures up things like soap, jasmine, white musks, powdery notes and the other usual clean or fresh notes.

    Fresh as used in AENOTUS is an entirely unique interpretation. Yourself and others will say you smell fresh, but I'm betting 90% of the time that's the exact word they'll use. Not soapy, powdery or even clean.

    Don't think for a minute AENOTUS is only about fresh. There's this intoxicating light spice that hovers over the top of the scent that I just can't make out the exact spice. There's some other nice things happening, and I'll leave some room for others to chime in later once they've sampled.

    Any Pikovaya Dama fans out there? This one's different, but if you are, you need to put this on your must sample list.

    I do wish Jan Ewoud would have contacted me about the name.
    I think "Beck-Ola" (Jeff Beck's 2nd album 1969) would have been a better choice.
    Then it could have been my signature scent.
    That's okay, I'm content being an impostor and wearing his signature scent.

    Jan Ewoud painstakingly put his soul into creating AENOTUS.
    Showing that much of yourself isn't easy.
    THANKS JAN FOR SHARING WITH US!
    Joni Mitchell was told this song " A Case of You" revealed too much about herself, but she did it anyway.

    Last edited by thebeck; 2nd March 2019 at 04:18 PM.

  2. #2
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    286,067

    Default Re: AENTOUS by Puredistance

    Thanks for your impressions on this one.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Diamondflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    14,591

    Default Re: AENTOUS by Puredistance

    Looks like a misspelled ‘AVENTUS’. Lol. Notes look nice though.

  4. #4
    Dependent DuNezDeBuzier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    CITY by THE LAKE
    Posts
    2,918

    Default Re: AENTOUS by Puredistance

    Thank you. Years back, if memory serves correctly, you and maybe a couple others had some compelling things to say about this house and its M... a debt of gratitude for that. On to the test list with this one then.
    Wanna Shop? --> Buzier's Sales

    MY TOP SHELF: Azzaro pH, Bel Ami, Blackbird, Blend 30, Cuba, Davidoff '84, Derby, Edition, Equipage, Jules, Knize Ten, Kouros, Leather Oud, Puredistance M, Santal Noble, Tribute Attar, Yatagan
    Currently wearing: Loewe para Hombre by Loewe

  5. #5

    Default Re: AENTOUS by Puredistance

    Been wanting to try this, seems like a safe blind buy

  6. #6

    thebeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Biggest Little City
    Posts
    4,164

    Default Re: AENTOUS by Puredistance

    Quote Originally Posted by colourblind View Post
    Been wanting to try this, seems like a safe blind buy
    I think it's safe. I wore it to the gym at boot camp class. The ladies loved it, and I gave out some spritzes after class to several that wanted to try it.
    Positive feedback already.

  7. #7
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    121

    Default Re: AENTOUS by Puredistance

    Color me intrigued! I love Pikovaya Dama but would never call it cool or soft. Must sample this now.
    Last edited by akadem; 21st March 2019 at 04:35 PM.

  8. #8

    thebeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Biggest Little City
    Posts
    4,164

    Default Re: AENTOUS by Puredistance

    Quote Originally Posted by akadem View Post
    Color me intrigued! I love Pikovaya Dama but would never call it cool or soft. Must sample this now.
    I wouldn't call Pikovaya Dama soft or cool either.
    I just remember the first time I smelled PD I was in love.
    AENOTUS is different, but fans of PD might be fans of AENOTUS.
    We'll have to wait and see.

  9. #9

    Default Re: AENTOUS by Puredistance

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Looks like a misspelled ‘AVENTUS’. Lol. Notes look nice though.
    I saw "ANTAEUS"! But I agree the notes and description sound attractive.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Uomo by Lorenzo Villoresi

  10. #10

    thebeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Biggest Little City
    Posts
    4,164

    Default Re: AENOTUS by Puredistance


  11. #11
    Basenotes Institution badarun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    13,324

    Default Re: AENTOUS by Puredistance

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Looks like a misspelled ‘AVENTUS’. Lol. Notes look nice though.
    I thought the same reading this thread, but after seeing Thebeck as the starter, i knew it was a legit thread A great write up, but the notes seem a bit sparse for the complexity described, but let's see how it rolls on sales and see how the feedback is here.
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

  12. #12

    thebeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Biggest Little City
    Posts
    4,164

    Default Re: AENTOUS by Puredistance

    Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    I thought the same reading this thread, but after seeing Thebeck as the starter, i knew it was a legit thread A great write up, but the notes seem a bit sparse for the complexity described, but let's see how it rolls on sales and see how the feedback is here.
    I'm curious to find out what others think also. I know my Wife loves it.
    I gave a few ladies at the gym a spray the other day .
    They all loved it.
    One lady said she after two showers, she could still smell it a faintly.
    She wasn't trying to get rid of it. She just related to me the lasting power of this one.

    I don't think Puredistance lists all their notes.
    One of the ladies and myself both get some spice, and don't see any listed.

  13. #13
    Basenotes Institution badarun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    13,324

    Default Re: AENOTUS by Puredistance

    Just ordered Aenotus...Will take a few weeks to arrive / clear customs and get delivered, so I'm ramping up my patience till then. Thanks thebeck!
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

  14. #14

    Default Re: AENTOUS by Puredistance

    Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I'm curious to find out what others think also. I know my Wife loves it.
    I gave a few ladies at the gym a spray the other day .
    They all loved it.
    One lady said she after two showers, she could still smell it a faintly.
    She wasn't trying to get rid of it. She just related to me the lasting power of this one.

    I don't think Puredistance lists all their notes.
    One of the ladies and myself both get some spice, and don't see any listed.

    The only thing holding me back from blind buying this right now is my concern about its projection. In the blurb I read about it, the owner was talking about how absolutely close to the skin this one wears, which historically, for me, has always meant "you can't smell it at all after 10 minutes." But then I saw a review on line that said it projects about a meter and a half for an hour or two, and then envelopes you in about a two foot scent cloud for the remainder of its *very long* life. That sounds almost beastly on some levels.

    So how did you find its performance?
    Currently wearing: Lui by Guerlain

  15. #15

    thebeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Biggest Little City
    Posts
    4,164

    Default Re: AENTOUS by Puredistance

    Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    The only thing holding me back from blind buying this right now is my concern about its projection. In the blurb I read about it, the owner was talking about how absolutely close to the skin this one wears, which historically, for me, has always meant "you can't smell it at all after 10 minutes." But then I saw a review on line that said it projects about a meter and a half for an hour or two, and then envelopes you in about a two foot scent cloud for the remainder of its *very long* life. That sounds almost beastly on some levels.

    So how did you find its performance?
    Performance is excellent. The description above "it projects about a meter and a half for an hour or two, and then envelopes you in about a two foot scent cloud for the remainder of its *very long* life" - I could agree with.

    The 48% keeps it closer to the skin and keeping the longevity in the 24 hour plus zone.

    I just got in on a split "naylor" had today. He filled it in a half a day.
    Maybe some other splitters will do some AENOTUS, and then you don't need to blind buy a whole bottle

  16. #16

    Default Re: AENTOUS by Puredistance

    Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    Performance is excellent. The description above "it projects about a meter and a half for an hour or two, and then envelopes you in about a two foot scent cloud for the remainder of its *very long* life" - I could agree with.

    The 48% keeps it closer to the skin and keeping the longevity in the 24 hour plus zone.

    I just got in on a split "naylor" had today. He filled it in a half a day.
    Maybe some other splitters will do some AENOTUS, and then you don't need to blind buy a whole bottle

    It sounds so good I probably will do a blind buy. But I appreciate the tip anyway.

    Thanks for the info!
    Currently wearing: Lui by Guerlain

  17. #17

    Default Re: AENTOUS by Puredistance

    dang it I completely missed out!

    Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    Performance is excellent. The description above "it projects about a meter and a half for an hour or two, and then envelopes you in about a two foot scent cloud for the remainder of its *very long* life" - I could agree with.

    The 48% keeps it closer to the skin and keeping the longevity in the 24 hour plus zone.

    I just got in on a split "naylor" had today. He filled it in a half a day.
    Maybe some other splitters will do some AENOTUS, and then you don't need to blind buy a whole bottle

  18. #18

    Default Re: AENOTUS by Puredistance

    Just tried this one in Paris. OUTSTANDING. I might save up money to buy a bottle.

    I didn't get to do a full wearing, but the opening is brisk and strong. The tangy citrus opening gives Xerjoff a run for its money--and the drydown moved into a much warmer direction, it did seem to me somewhat muted but still present, perfect for work, for example, just straight up non-obnoxious class. So good...

  19. #19
    Basenotes Junkie Fhaoilgeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Austin TX
    Posts
    765

    Default Re: AENOTUS by Puredistance

    I just got into a split of Aenotus with strifeknot so thanks to thebeck and to strifeknot for providing the impetus and the opportunity!

  20. #20

    thebeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Biggest Little City
    Posts
    4,164

    Default Re: AENOTUS by Puredistance

    Quote Originally Posted by Fhaoilgeal View Post
    I just got into a split of Aenotus with strifeknot so thanks to thebeck and to strifeknot for providing the impetus and the opportunity!
    I joined this split also.

  21. #21

    Default Re: AENOTUS by Puredistance

    Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I joined this split also.
    same. thanks to strifeknot for reaching out and letting me know it was going! i thought i had missed out!

  22. #22

    Default Re: AENOTUS by Puredistance

    I purchased this one from Essenza Nobile. It’s indeed a very fresh scent. I am still analyzing it. What I can say at this point is that it reminds me of a higher quality Beau De Jour from Tom Ford (with the patchouli turned way down) with a hint of Pure White from Creed. It’s becomes more Tom Ford than Creed in the drown down.

    On another note, I want to say something about projection - many people think one dimensionally when it comes to projection -that it’s only about distance. However, what I am realizing is that projection is a multidimensional thing, and it’s just as much about the “saturation” of the air around you, for lack of a better term. Case in point - recently I have been analyzing the differences between Pikovaya Dama and it’s dupe - Queen of Spades. DUA Queen of Spades as a scent is VERY VERY close to Pikovaya Dama, yet wearing each is an entirely different experience. The Pikovaya Dama has a kind of saturation about it that DUA does not. This “saturation” makes a hell of a lot of difference when smelling from an arms length distance. Pikovaya Dama seemed plush, oily, lighter and more diffusive by comparisons.

    I say that to say, Aenotus is much more plush and oily than Beau de Jour. With that being said, Aenotus is short lived. I get roughly 1.5 hours, then it becomes a skin scent that fades to nothing over the next few hours. Nice, but meh.

  23. #23
    Basenotes Plus

    Cook.bot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Tracks, Wrong Side of
    Posts
    5,234

    Default Re: AENOTUS by Puredistance

    Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    The URL for Puredistance seems to be have been hijacked.

  24. #24

    Default Re: AENOTUS by Puredistance

    Quote Originally Posted by gtsb View Post
    Just tried this one in Paris. OUTSTANDING. I might save up money to buy a bottle.

    I didn't get to do a full wearing, but the opening is brisk and strong. The tangy citrus opening gives Xerjoff a run for its money--and the drydown moved into a much warmer direction, it did seem to me somewhat muted but still present, perfect for work, for example, just straight up non-obnoxious class. So good...
    This is Great to hear! I blind bought a 60ml bottle and it’s arriving tomorrow according to my DHL app.



    Quote Originally Posted by litworth View Post
    I purchased this one from Essenza Nobile. It’s indeed a very fresh scent. I am still analyzing it. What I can say at this point is that it reminds me of a higher quality Beau De Jour from Tom Ford (with the patchouli turned way down) with a hint of Pure White from Creed. It’s becomes more Tom Ford than Creed in the drown down.

    On another note, I want to say something about projection - many people think one dimensionally when it comes to projection -that it’s only about distance. However, what I am realizing is that projection is a multidimensional thing, and it’s just as much about the “saturation” of the air around you, for lack of a better term. Case in point - recently I have been analyzing the differences between Pikovaya Dama and it’s dupe - Queen of Spades. DUA Queen of Spades as a scent is VERY VERY close to Pikovaya Dama, yet wearing each is an entirely different experience. The Pikovaya Dama has a kind of saturation about it that DUA does not. This “saturation” makes a hell of a lot of difference when smelling from an arms length distance. Pikovaya Dama seemed plush, oily, lighter and more diffusive by comparisons.

    I say that to say, Aenotus is much more plush and oily than Beau de Jour. With that being said, Aenotus is short lived. I get roughly 1.5 hours, then it becomes a skin scent that fades to nothing over the next few hours. Nice, but meh.
    1.5 hours? Oy vey. I really hope not.

    What’s weird is this runs directly in contrast to the review I watched claiming 24 hours of projection at about an arm’s length. It just doesn’t make sense how one guy could get 24 hours and you only 1.5. I mean I believe you, but I don’t get it.


    I’m keeping my fingers crossed that the longevity works out.
    Currently wearing: Lui by Guerlain

  25. #25
    Basenotes Plus
    Diddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Bayou Country
    Posts
    5,572

    Default Re: AENOTUS by Puredistance

    Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    The URL for Puredistance seems to be have been hijacked.
    Yessssssssss
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

  26. #26

    Default Re: AENOTUS by Puredistance

    Considering buying this one too, would like to hear more opinions on this longevity issue.
    Currently wearing: Bracken Man by Amouage

  27. #27
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    36,694

    Default Re: AENOTUS by Puredistance

    Is the top note fresh in an aldehydic way? Like...say...White Linen by Estee Lauder?
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

    -- Eckhart Tolle

  28. #28

    Default Re: AENOTUS by Puredistance

    Tried this one couple weeks ago and loved it, it's such a good fragrance, but unfortunately it has 0 projection, they even say that in the marketing blurb. It could be great but it's not for the price

  29. #29

    thebeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Biggest Little City
    Posts
    4,164

    Default Re: AENOTUS by Puredistance

    Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    The URL for Puredistance seems to be have been hijacked.
    I click on it, and it works just fine for me.

  30. #30

    thebeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Biggest Little City
    Posts
    4,164

    Default Re: AENOTUS by Puredistance

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Is the top note fresh in an aldehydic way? Like...say...White Linen by Estee Lauder?
    No it's not in an aldehydic way.
    It's the combination of citrus and the mint that makes it fresh for me.




Similar Threads

  1. Puredistance I
    By Mimi Gardenia in forum No longer missing fragrances
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 31st July 2011, 12:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000