Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Fragrances with a real smoke smel like MM By the Fireplace and Amouage Interlude Man?

Hello all,

As some of you know, I was really blown away by MM By the Fireplace. I think they did a perfect job of capturing real wood burning, although I liken it closer to a campfire smell than an actual fireplace.

Recently, I had the pleasure of testing Amouage Interlude Man, and it too had a realistic burning smell, although of burning incense vs logs on a fire.

I think that both of these are FBW and plan to pick up both when funds allow. In the meantime, I imagine these aren't the only two fragrances that smell legitimately like something is burning/on fire. I find that real smoke smell to be quite intoxicating and was wondering if there are some more recommendations that I should test, that are in that vein.

What do you all say? What are some fragrances that I should get my nose on for that beautiful realistic smoke smell?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Fragrances with a real smoke smel like MM By the Fireplace and Amouage Interlude Man?

Quote Originally Posted by painted_klown View Post
    What are some fragrances that I should get my nose on for that beautiful realistic smoke smell?
    Bois Sikar by Atelier Des Ors
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Default Re: Fragrances with a real smoke smel like MM By the Fireplace and Amouage Interlude Man?

John Varvatos Dark Rebel has a camp fire smell, just got a bottle recently and that's what I've seen others compare it to. It's pretty good imho

Basenotes Institution

Tyrannosaurus Rex by Zoologist Perfumes
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Ombré Leather by Tom Ford

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Bois Sikar by Atelier Des Ors
    I just looked this one up. It sounds great. Campfire smell + some tobacco and booze. I have never heard of this house before, so I am not sure how easy I could find a sample, but I will keep my eyes peeled. Thanks for the recommendation.

Tauer Lonestar Memories is extremely smoky.

Quote Originally Posted by The People's Champ View Post
    John Varvatos Dark Rebel has a camp fire smell, just got a bottle recently and that's what I've seen others compare it to. It's pretty good imho
    Very cool. I have seen quite a bit of the Varvatos stuff when out and about, so I may be able to track this down fairly easy. Might even be able to snag a sample locally.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I have seen Zoologist mentioned several times online and on YouTube. They seem to have quite the following, but I have never seen any of their stuff while out fragrance hunting. I have heard that many fragrances from this house are super potent...just the way I like 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Tauer Lonestar Memories is extremely smoky.
    Awesome! I am looking all of these up as you guys post them. This looks to be smoke + leather and coffee. I imagine a smoky coffee fragrance would be really nice.

Basenotes Plus

La Fumee (classic, not flankers) by Miller Harris

Memoirs of a Trespasser by Imaginary Authors

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

50 sprays a day keeps the doc away

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Some may disagree with me on this but Guerlain Oud Essentiel smells campfire-y to me.

+1 for Lonestar Memories

-Mark
    Using Tapatalk
    Currently wearing: Honour Man by Amouage

Tea for Two by l'Artisan Parfumeur
    Eau des Îles by Maître Parfumeur
    Oud pour Lui by Alyssa Ashley
    Eau des Missions by Le Couvent des Minimes
    Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    Messe de Minuit by Etro
    Currently wearing: Lonestar Memories by Tauer

Basenotes Plus

I’ve not tried everything aforementioned....

However, the most photorealistic smoke that I’ve encountered, and I am talking so vivid that the smell sent me on a serious trip down memory lane, is easily Maderas de Oriente Oscuro by PK Perfumes. I’ve no affiliation with Paul Kiler other than being a fellow Basenotes member to him like you. Due to his repeated fine and generous contributions to this site, I decided to order his sample set via his website. He included a sample of Maderas de Oriente Oscuro in the set. Wow. If you’re looking for vivid smoke, this one gets it done. More than that, this is not just an attempt at producing a smell good mass market pleaser. No, this is high art from an artist and not a think tank dollar grabber. I highly recommend reaching out to PK via his website and, at minimum, purchasing a sample of this fragrance. Actually, I recommend purchasing his sample set and trying out his other artful delights as well. (Side note: I’m still testing the set and my overall favs so far are Cuir Moderne, Zaffran, and Ere. That’s not to belittle Maderas de Oriente Oscuro either. I just don’t wear a lot of smokey fragrances.)

Prior to this fragrance, Memoirs of a Trespasser was my go to smokey one. And it is still an overall pleasing scent.

Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    La Fumee (classic, not flankers) by Miller Harris...
    This.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!
    Currently wearing: Essence Musk by Ferrari

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    The smokiest thing I’ve come across.

Mommy favorite Smokey scent is 2 Man.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.
    Currently wearing: Dunhill Icon by Dunhill

Basenotes Plus

Celtic Fire. You'll want to make sure you extinguished the peat before retiring for the night.
    Overcome by Fumes

Naomi Goodsir - Bois d'Ascèse +1 It smells like realistic campfire smoke to me.

Imaginary Authors - A City on Fire also smells like burnt wood

BeauFort - 1805 Tonnerre burnt wood accompagnied by a metallic gun powder note.

Hiram Green - Hyde burnt wood that oozes black tar, the dry down is a beautiful, full-bodied leather.

Zoologist - Tyrannosaure +1 meaty smoky but this one is more kaleidoscopic than straightforward smoke.

Atelier des Ors - Bois Sikar +1
    Currently wearing: Club Design by The Zoo

If you like Amouage Interlude, then Myths is also worth trying, although this one is more like after the fire was put out by the fire department

Chanel Sycomore might fit your description as well.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by StellaDiverFlynn View Post
    Naomi Goodsir - Bois d'Ascèse +1 It smells like realistic campfire smoke to me.

Imaginary Authors - A City on Fire also smells like burnt wood

BeauFort - 1805 Tonnerre burnt wood accompagnied by a metallic gun powder note.

Hiram Green - Hyde burnt wood that oozes black tar, the dry down is a beautiful, full-bodied leather.

Zoologist - Tyrannosaurus Rex +1 meaty smoky but this one is more kaleidoscopic than straightforward smoke.

Atelier des Ors - Bois Sikar +1
    Getting into real hardcore smokiness here. I'm not sure the OP is ready for these yet. I'd also add

Patchouli 24 by Le Labo

...for a grown-up version of By The Fireplace.

Sonoma Scent Studio Fireside/Fireside Intense

...closed now, but you might still find bottles around.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    +1 Burning violently everything. This is olfactory art though, and fairly unwearable.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

CB I hate perfume Burning Leaves (just like outdoor burning smoke)
    Sauf Plein Jeu (I find it similar to By the Fireplace, but better and with more depth)
    NG Bois d Ascese (straight forward)
    T Rex. (heavy, tarry, hardcore smoke)
    DS Durga Burning Barbershop (a sweeter smoke, still potent)
    Penhaligons Agarbathi (a creamier, lite sweet smoke)
    Amouage Memoir or Myths (both very interesting fragrances)
    Sombre Negra (almost like a cold soapy smoke)
    Last edited by Cheetah1919; 28th February 2019 at 01:58 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    +1 Burning violently everything. This is olfactory art though, and fairly unwearable.
    On the contrary, quite wearable though has a rather bracing opening. Few sprays are needed, as 1-2 will get you at least 12 hrs, easily.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

TF Noir Anthracite leaves my clothes smelling like I've been standing next to a bonfire.

Basenotes Plus

Ember by Strangers is a little smoky but not full on like Hyde. Wonderful fragrance. As they say
    Burning amber in campfire

Indian spices

Dried flowers petal

Incense

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45 View Post
    Celtic Fire. You'll want to make sure you extinguished the peat before retiring for the night.
    Any idea if this can be purchased in the states? I can't seem to find anything online other than being able to backorder it on their website. I love the smell of a good peaty scotch (Ardbeg FTW) and am very intrigued by this fragrance now.

One more fan for Zoologist TRex and Hiram Green Hyde.
    I have not worn my Interlude in five months because of these two with an assist from Lonestar Memories.
    Interlude was my first Amouage full bottle, and my favourite for a long time. It deserves high praise but is no longer the best to this nose.
    Currently wearing: Opus IX by Amouage

Basenotes Junkie

La Curie Incendo

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    +1 to this

Potion Royal Black EDP smells like something is on fire, mixed with roses, and woods. If that sounds appealing to you, check it out. Personally not my thing.
    "Where there's gold, there's a gold digger" -Dashboard Confessional
    Currently wearing: Rochas Man by Rochas

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Tic Tac Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore.
    Blog Entries

Sombre Negra, by Yosh.

Quote Originally Posted by painted_klown View Post
    Recently, I had the pleasure of testing Amouage Interlude Man, and it too had a realistic burning smell, although of burning incense vs logs on a fire.
    For me, the best part of Interlude Man is the base. The whole scent is faaaaaantastic, but man oh man, that base is astounding with labdanum, amber, some spices, and patch that almost - almost - gives it a chocolate vibe. I had to wear this one quite a few times before I noticed the patchouli, but now I definitely do, and I really enjoy it. Interlude Man is a work of art.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    CK One
    Fahrenheit
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Aqua Universalis
    Prada L'Homme
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Green Irish Tweed
    Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum