Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Dry (or semi-dry) fragrances with strong anise and/or clove notes

I love star anise and clove in cooking and cocktails and I've enjoyed them both in soap. I haven't encountered them much in fragrance form, at least when they haven't been submerged in sweetness. Are there any fragrances where they cut through clearly and sharply without the fragrance tipping over into gourmand territory?

Dependent

Default Re: Dry (or semi-dry) fragrances with strong anise and/or clove notes

Areej le Doré - Atlantic Ambergris, if you can find any. Quite clove-heavy and not particularly sweet. Unfortunately, this is a little cruel as it's exceptionally difficult to come by these days. I'm sure others will chime in with clove-centric fragrances. Star anise ones seem to be few and far between with the exception of vintage Rive Gauche and suchlike (where it's melded, sweet and therefore not alike star anise in reality).

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Indian Spice by Zegna and Tobacco Dynasty by Noble Royale are two that I enjoy that have a prominent star anise note.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Copper Skies by Kerosene has a clove note and is very nice.

Both notes are in Rive Gauche PH but are fairly quiet

Being superdry is a bonus though

Noir Epices - Frederic Malle was a very dry fragrance to my nose and smelled strongly of clove.

M.O.U.S.S.E. by Oliver and Co.
    Currently wearing: Black Saffron by Byredo

Quote Originally Posted by Benz3ne View Post
    Areej le Doré - Atlantic Ambergris, if you can find any. Quite clove-heavy and not particularly sweet. Unfortunately, this is a little cruel as it's exceptionally difficult to come by these days. I'm sure others will chime in with clove-centric fragrances. Star anise ones seem to be few and far between with the exception of vintage Rive Gauche and suchlike (where it's melded, sweet and therefore not alike star anise in reality).
    I expected many of the recs to be difficult to find (and, indeed, many of the suggestions so far don't seem to be widely available). But if I know what to look for I can keep an eye out.

Serge Lutens Serge Noire is dry with lots of clove. Smells wonderful to me.

Basenotes Plus

Piper Nigrum by Villoresi

Ton of pepper (obviously) but also cloves and star anise, among other spices.

Fou d'Absinthe by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Piney, spicy, with a touch of incense,
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Currently wearing: Hindu Kush by Mancera

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Serge Lutens Serge Noire is dry with lots of clove. Smells wonderful to me.
    +1 same for me

I don't understand all the negativity surrounding it

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Both notes are in Rive Gauche PH but are fairly quiet
    This: one of the nicest anise/cloves in them.

You may also get this sort of vibe from Piper Nigrum by Villoresi and Spezie by the same.
    Currently wearing: Eucris by Geo F Trumper

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Derby
    Comme des Garçons Parfum (1994)

Also adding Azzaro Eau pour Homme, Tabac Original, L'Erbolario Ginepro Nero (this latter one admittedly with a much stronger juniper, vetiver and pepper, rather than anise and/or clove notes, but that still retains or at the very least suggests a hint of either or both and is very sharp, dry, bracing, astringent, not at risk to ever be sweet or gourmand)

Amouage Bracken Homme - cloves overload

+1 on Piper Nigrum LV

Azzaro Pour Homme for Anise and Jacomo de Jacomo for Clove.

Another vote for Bracken

Edit: adding Sel Marin as well
    Last edited by Kilgore Trout; 27th February 2019 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    I love star anise and clove in cooking and cocktails and I've enjoyed them both in soap. I haven't encountered them much in fragrance form, at least when they haven't been submerged in sweetness. Are there any fragrances where they cut through clearly and sharply without the fragrance tipping over into gourmand territory?
    Braken man, lots of clove and grass. The opening is like sticking your nose into a bottle of ground clove.

Basenotes Junkie

+1 Jacomo de Jacomo

Tons of clove in a dry, mossy, leathery composition. Be sure to get the pre-reformulation bottle (blue letters instead of white). It's still widely and cheaply available online.

When I'm in the mood for cloves, I like Ted Baker AU (Gold).

Quote Originally Posted by Tradition View Post
    Azzaro Pour Homme for Anise
    Good call Azzaro PH for anise. Don’t know how I forgot about that one
    Currently wearing: Eucris by Geo F Trumper

I'd suggest Guerlain Lui and Costume National Homme if clove is your thing. (It most emphatically isn't mine.)

I get a decent amount of anise in 1725 by HdP
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by rdoss27 View Post
    I get a decent amount of anise in 1725 by HdP
    I know that one well. My wife likes to wear it. 1725 approaches gourmand territory, so it's not exactly what I'm after.

Licorice (OK, not aniseed but sort of) : CdG Black
    Clove : +whatever for Jacomo de Jacomo
    Spring/early summer rotation : Guerlain Vetiver and Habit Rouge L'Eau; Etro Palais Jamais, Shaal Nur, Dianthus and Gomma; Penhaligon's Juniper Sling and Blenheim Bouquet; Comme des Garcons Zagorsk and Avignon; Dior Fahrenheit; and L.T. Piver Heliotrope

Basenotes Junkie

I would say Amouage bracken man for a herby clove or Musc ravageur for a sultry clove
    Creed Original Santal
    Currently wearing: Ombré Leather by Tom Ford

I love both of these notes too!

Sadly I have no suggestion to offer, haven’t found one I love enough worth recommending.

(Rive Guache has these notes and is a top 10 all time frag imo, but those notes are very subtle, nor is it the type of fragrance you’re looking for I think)

Quote Originally Posted by Opiate View Post
    I love both of these notes too!

Sadly I have no suggestion to offer, haven’t found one I love enough worth recommending.

(Rive Guache has these notes and is a top 10 all time frag imo, but those notes are very subtle, nor is it the type of fragrance you’re looking for I think)
    I clearly need to try Rive Gauche for its own sake, but, yeah, it doesn't sound like what I'm looking for.

Cereus #11 has an enjoyable anise note. It's also a great time to buy it.

All 4 Men's Cereus fragrances used to be $125.00, and can now be found easily on eBay for around $20-$25.

Clove? I always think of Creed Viking, especially if you'd like a little cinnamon with your clove.
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

If you specifically want a big clove hit without the star anise, I would recommend 34 Parfum by Diptyque