Code of Conduct

Thread: Moisturisers

Talking Moisturisers

Hi guys any of you use a moisturiser on your face? What brands to you like to use and how is your skin after using your moisturiser

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Moisturisers

I use Aveeno Unscented moisturizing lotion which I like a lot.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I use Aveeno Unscented moisturizing lotion which I like a lot.
    Why you chosed this one? What more you use?

I'm using Weleda Man Hydratating Cream.
    I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by mega_biscoito View Post
    Why you chosed this one? What more you use?

I'm using Weleda Man Hydratating Cream.
    I like it.
    I'm sure the one you are using is also fine for your purpose.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I use Avene Hydrance with SPF (European) if it's sunny and I go out. Cerave just as a pure moisturizer.
    If it is particularly cold and dry, I use thick ones like Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream.
    None of these makes miracles, but they do leave the skin hydrated and a little plumped.

cacio

Malin + Goetz Vitamin E moisturiser is my go-to moisturiser. Great value if you buy the huge 250ml size which typically gives me 3-4 months use.

It is the only moisturiser that doesn't give me a shining glow that beams "I've just moisturised!" to everyone in a file mile radius. It doesn't give me itchiness and doesn't dry my skin out as some products do.
    Currently wearing: Epic Man by Amouage

Hi do you guys use your moisturisers daily on your face

Twice daily, mornings and evenings. But if the weather is very dry, I may reapply during the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris aftershave View Post
    Hi guys any of you use a moisturiser on your face? What brands to you like to use and how is your skin after using your moisturiser
    I've had very good experience using Jack Black Double-Duty Face Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 20. It's not particularly cheap, but it absorbs nicely, which is something I haven't found to be true of cheaper options.

Avene and Aveeno are the same?

And Ducray experience?

No, Aveeno is a US drugstore company, while Avene is a French brand. No experience with Ducray.

Hi do you guys use your moisturisers daily on your face
    I do.

Lubiderm daily moisturizer fragance free

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I use Avene Hydrance with SPF (European) if it's sunny and I go out. Cerave just as a pure moisturizer.
    If it is particularly cold and dry, I use thick ones like Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream.
    None of these makes miracles, but they do leave the skin hydrated and a little plumped.

cacio
    Are there other moistorizers with SPF?

And more of your routine? How you clean?

Most brands have mosturizers with SPF. Sometimes they distinguish products for the day (with SPF) and for the night (without).

I mostly have normal skin. I put moisturizer and SPF in the morning (which ones depends on weather etc). Reapply if needed (eg I am outside. But usually I work inside all day so little need). I usually go to the gym after work, and cleanse the face when I take the shower after that (I use Cerave hydrating cleanser). I apply a hydrating cream after that. Then before bed I apply tretinoin with a simple moisturizer.

Sometimes, in the morning I also apply something else depending. Right now, since it's very cold, I apply a ceramide cream.

cacio

Didn't knew that brand. Cerave is a good brand?

I'd say Cerave is very good, especially for the price range. They do simple stuff, without bells and whistles, but they work fine.

I have dry skin patches on my face, so I use an exfoliating scrub in the shower (St. Ives has a cheap one built around coffee and coconut that works as well as anything I've gotten from expensive brands like Kiehl's). I then apply a face moisturizer with SPF 20; I've used both pricier and cheaper options and have found that this is one item where you typically get what you pay for.

On weeks when I need a really deep clean, I'll use a battery-powered facial scrub brush with some gentle face cleanser and generously moisturize afterwards.

In Portugal don't if I can buy Cerave without ordering from web. Mainly we have pharmacy brands like Ducray, La Roche Posay, Uriage, LLierac or Cosmetic Brands like Biotherm, Lab Series.

So much to choose that I don't know what is the best

Cerave is an American drugstore brand that I believe was bought a couple of years ago by a big conglomerate (like L'oreal), who then broadened the distribution to Europe. In any case, all the brands you mention are good, for moisturizing, you don't need fancy ingredients, so they should all work. It's just about choosing one you like. The main difference is typically if they are called "light" (more gel like formulations) or "rich" (heavier, thicker, fatter). Heavier tend to protect more but can be too much in the summer and can also favor acne in people at risk.

Basenotes Plus

I'd say Cerave is very good, especially for the price range. They do simple stuff, without bells and whistles, but they work fine.
    Agreed, plus I like that they're unscented. I like their facial serum with SPF, and their heavy-duty creams are great for tough spots like heels and elbows.

Most brands have mosturizers with SPF. Sometimes they distinguish products for the day (with SPF) and for the night (without).

I mostly have normal skin. I put moisturizer and SPF in the morning (which ones depends on weather etc). Reapply if needed (eg I am outside. But usually I work inside all day so little need). I usually go to the gym after work, and cleanse the face when I take the shower after that (I use Cerave hydrating cleanser). I apply a hydrating cream after that. Then before bed I apply tretinoin with a simple moisturizer.

Sometimes, in the morning I also apply something else depending. Right now, since it's very cold, I apply a ceramide cream.

cacio
    Tretionin before bed? Does Treotionin not dry the skin too much?

Yes, tretinoin can dry the skin. That's why I apply it with a moisturizer. I think tretinoin is usually recommended at night because during the day the skin can be subject to more irritation, plus tretinoin reduces sun protection.

Hi guys what about wrinkles and lines under eyes would a normal moisturiser on the area help or a eye cream would that be better to use?

Hi guys what about wrinkles and lines under eyes would a normal moisturiser on the area help or a eye cream would that be better to use?
    I would think an eye cream since that probably has specific ingredients to target that problem.

Hi do any of you use a eye cream?

I'm fine with the regular moisturizing creams I use on the face, so far my eyes haven't been irritated. As hednic was saying, an eye cream might sometimes target a specific problem of the area, but if it's just moisturization, the other creams should work as well.

cacio

Hi when you apply your moisturizing cream do you like to put it around your eye area?

Aftershave balms are moisturisers.

I don't like moisturizers with the gooey wet-look finish, prefering the matte-finish dry-look.

Aftershave balms tend not to have that wet look about them, and look more natural.
    Regards,
    Renato