Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default How the hell did Roja Dove get away with his 50ml for the price of 100 "offer"?

That stunt put me totally off this house because it reeked of taking the piss.

One week he had 50ml bottles for £200 (or whatever they were) and 100ml bottles for £350 then, almost overnight, the 100mls were gone and the 50s were now £350! You could almost feel Roja sitting there in his monogrammed slippers looking like:

And yet the world rolled on and people kept on buying his scents. Madness!

I didn't pay much attention to the threads about this house back then as the only decent scent I think he's ever made is Enigma but it just popped back into my mind after checking his current RRPTs* out.

*Recommend Retail Piss Takes

Default Re: How the hell did Roja Dove get away with his 50ml for the price of 100 "offer"?

Personally, have never really cared much for the work he puts out. Certainly don't find it on par with his price-point. Not that I mind forking up good money for perfume, if I find it worthwhile. When it comes to Roja I haven't found it worthwhile yet.
    "I mean, this world without a leopard? Who'd wanna live in it?" - Diana Vreeland

Default Re: How the hell did Roja Dove get away with his 50ml for the price of 100 "offer"?

Even if I had all the money in the world I would not even consider paying anything even close to that price for a fragrance.How he got away with it?I know nothing about him however he probably has a number financially wealthy people who go for what he sells regardless of price or even quality.

He's trying to target the Creed demographic of rich yuppies who won't hesitate to buy the entire Aventus set and a flacon for every room of their house I guess, but instead it seems the majority of the consumer-base are internet nerds?

$462 for 50mL of juice...I don't care if it was the elixir of the gods themselves (my bottle of Kouros was like $40 lol)

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    One week he had 50ml bottles for £200 (or whatever they were) and 100ml bottles for £350 then, almost overnight, the 100mls were gone and the 50s were now £350!
    ommend Retail Piss Takes
    That's pretty awful!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

His secret? He’s constantly been taking the piss from the very beginning
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Freed from BN Institution

Roja apparently took a page out of Creed's book and went 10x further.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

That is truly absurd. A good example of a huge price increase for no reason other than they think people will be stupid enough to pay it...

Basenotes Junkie

Greed?

He has talent IMO in creating notable fragrances, but that talent is heavily compromised by his greed. It's really sad.

Is the OP possibly confusing EDP and Parfum prices?

I'm looking at Danger pour Homme on the Roja website now. 50mL EDP is £245 and 50mL Parfum is £375.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilX View Post

I'm looking at Danger pour Homme on the Roja website now. 50mL EDP is £245 and 50mL Parfum is £375.
    Yeah, the OP is mixing up the prices for the different concentrations. There was a change about four years ago, where the original 100ml EDPs were discontinued and then replaced by new 50ml bottles. But it wasn't for the prices listed in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunedain View Post
    That is truly absurd. A good example of a huge price increase for no reason other than they think people will be stupid enough to pay it...
    Oh, there are definitely people who will pay for it. Even worse, there are people here who will criticize others for speaking ill of Roja Dove's perfumes. Heck, I've seen it happen here. Maybe he charges so much so that he can pay retainer fees for his internet watchdog defenders.

About 4-5 years ago, the prices went up 160%. It's been discussed here before. I'ved owned and enjoy several Rojas, but that is ridiculous.

With the quality of his work he can charge what he wants-

And they must be selling.

I'll never support such bald face greed. He's overrated anyway.

When Creed prices kept creeping up, I didn't purchase as much. In fact, I've all but stopped unless I purchase it through the sales forum here.

Seems like after obtaining Midsummer Dream (100ml) and Oligarch (50ml), I think I'm done with Roja unless something amazing comes out. And even then... I'll wait it out.

These are the kinds of practices that shift me from one house to another.
    Hi, I'm William | My Swap Thread | My Sales Thread

My guess is that it's a reflection of the sharp disparity in wealth in certain nations. If you are a billionaire, a few hundred dollars either way is like a penny to you or me (but perhaps not hednic LOL).

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by naylor View Post
    Yeah, the OP is mixing up the prices for the different concentrations. There was a change about four years ago, where the original 100ml EDPs were discontinued and then replaced by new 50ml bottles. But it wasn't for the prices listed in this thread.
    LOL, could’ve been worse. My opinion stands that I feel the whole enterprise is a total piss take, but that’s down to my own prejudices and stinginess.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

The economics of luxury goods are always rooted in a kind of insanity.
    Cheapie Swap Thread

Current Favorites
    Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Hermès Eau des Merveilles, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

It sucks, but the demand must be there for him to want to charge those prices. Would love a bottle of Creation-E, but for the cost I'd be afraid to wear it as often as I'd like.

The funny thing is that as the prices for niche rise, the prices for great "super cheapos" seem to go lower. I just tried Lomani's Black Rose, for example, and I prefer it over almost all the recent niche I've sampled (cost me about $15 total for 100 ml new)!

Quote Originally Posted by SummerUndercover View Post
    It sucks, but the demand must be there for him to want to charge those prices. Would love a bottle of Creation-E, but for the cost I'd be afraid to wear it as often as I'd like.
    Is Creation-E the same thing as Enigma? When I search for Creation E on Fragrantica, nothing comes up.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Is Creation-E the same thing as Enigma? When I search for Creation E on Fragrantica, nothing comes up.
    Yes, it is.
    MY UK SPLITS (2019): HERE

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    As morrison noted, it is the same. For some reason, Enigma is marketed as Creation-E to US and Canada.

Edit: US, not North America lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    The funny thing is that as the prices for niche rise, the prices for great "super cheapos" seem to go lower. I just tried Lomani's Black Rose, for example, and I prefer it over almost all the recent niche I've sampled (cost me about $15 total for 100 ml new)!

Don't take it personally Bigsly but a $15 fragrance - i can only imagine how that must smell and whats in there.

( fYI - bug spray in Australia costs more than your Lomani Black Rose )

...there are always people that think more expensive means more quality...!

When he discontinued the 100ml bottles, Roja held a couple of outlet sales. Sealed 100ml bottles were sold for £50 to clear them. I would imagine that he was still making profit on these, so he would be cashing in on retail prices!

Quote Originally Posted by naylor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilX View Post

Nope. The prices were just to illustrate as I don't remember the details hence the "or whatever they were" qualifier but I was referring to when the 100mls vanished and the 50mls took their place at the same old price, whatever that was, as others also noted:

Quote Originally Posted by Hothamwater View Post
    About 4-5 years ago, the prices went up 160%. It's been discussed here before. I'ved owned and enjoy several Rojas, but that is ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by ripjean View Post
    When he discontinued the 100ml bottles, Roja held a couple of outlet sales. Sealed 100ml bottles were sold for £50 to clear them. I would imagine that he was still making profit on these, so he would be cashing in on retail prices!
    Yep. This is what I'm talking about. Probably the most blatant piss taking ever. So surprised that people even entertain the range at that bracket as the juice simply isn't good enough to warrant that price per ml but hey if you can get it, get it.

If anyone can provide a link to the discussion on here when it happened I'd appreciate it as I've tried numerous keywords and can't find anything related to that particular increase.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    Nope. The prices were just to illustrate as I don't remember the details hence the "or whatever they were" qualifier but I was referring to when the 100mls vanished and the 50mls took their place at the same old price, whatever that was, as others also noted:

Yep. This is what I'm talking about. Probably the most blatant piss taking ever. So surprised that people even entertain the range at that bracket as the juice simply isn't good enough to warrant that price per ml but hey if you can get it, get it.

If anyone can provide a link to the discussion on here when it happened I'd appreciate it as I've tried numerous keywords and can't find anything related to that particular increase.
    I have to admit, I recently decided to "splurge" and bought a 50ml bottle of Elysium Parfum more or less at MSRP, and you're right--I felt kinda ripped off because the juice simply does NOT warrant such an incredibly high price per ml. I took a risky blind buy on it, expecting to experience something amazing, some kind of level of perfumery I've never encountered before, but nope--it's simply 'nice.' Don't get me wrong, it smells great and I like it, but its performance for the most part is lacking and while it smells really good, there's nothing mind blowing about it, which is what I expect at that price. It sells for $485 for a 50ml. Based on the juice, I would be content paying $185 for a bottle, which is still pretty high, but $485 (I actually paid $447 after tax)? That's crazy. And it definitely doesn't seem worth it.

On a totally random note, there's something about the way they make the bottles look in the ads online that make them seem so cool too (I think its some kind of illumination effect), but when you actually see them in person, they're just okay. However the Elysium Cologne bottle is really nice. But the 50ml parfum bottles are just alright. Again, you expect a little more at that price.