Code of Conduct

Default Mont Blanc Individuel; Better than Creed OS?

Hey all,

I wanted to get an idea on the overall consensus here regarding MB Individuel and Creed Original Santal. I own Individuel, and I know it has it's lovers and haters, and not a lot in between. I personally enjoy it, and just that. Nothing spectacular, but for the price point, it's a great buy, get's some compliments, and performs alright.

I recently started wearing Original Santal from a sample and love it. It's a nice soft spicy sandalwood and cinnamon. To my nose they are VERY similar, but for some reason I enjoy the Creed much more. I was wondering if you guys think it would be worth it to pull the trigger on a full bottle of OS, even though I already own Individuel. As I said, I enjoy the Creed more, but for how similar they are, is it a redundant purchase?

Thanks!
    Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book, just turn the page.

"It smells really good, it's not Aventus though."
    Currently wearing: Royal Oud by Creed

Default Re: Mont Blanc Individuel; Better than Creed OS?

€ 30,= or € 180,= for something VERY similar seems an easy decision to me!

I bought MBI because I really liked how the trail smelled. However, up close, it's harsh, jarring and nasty to my nose. I gave it away.

I know I've tried OS but can't remember what it smelled like. So not very memorable to me to say the least.
    Last edited by Nastka; 4th March 2019 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Misread; deleted paragraph

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle08 View Post
    ...I enjoy the Creed more, but for how similar they are, is it a redundant purchase?
    They're pretty similar; OS is definitely better, but it's a heck of a lot more money for not that much more frag. Maybe a decant of OS is the way to go for now.

For what it's worth, had I got Individuel before OS, it's conceivable I wouldn't have bought OS.
    "I drank what?" -Socrates
    Currently wearing: Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

I, like you, own Individuel but slightly prefer Creed OS. I don't love it and are not wearing it that often. I would not use both that much that it would make a purchase legitimate. So, I would consider Creed OS when you're out of Individuel. The marginal benefit of the better scent comes with a high price, but since we are basenoters it might not matter. I would not recommend getting both since they are special scents that one might get tired of using too much. But of course, if you want it enough - get it. I would understand that too
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Basenotes Junkie

I own both and MBI just doesn't have depth, complexity and longevity of OS. If price for OS is not the issue, you should buy it, since you love it. After all - it's gonna last you for a while, so a single spray is not that expensive

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I was wondering if you guys think it would be worth it to pull the trigger on a full bottle of OS, even though I already own Individuel.

Thanks!
    IMO - yes, worth it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Original Santal is in a different ball-park imo

Banned

Hasn't this one been *drumroll* reformulated into a shell of its former glory?

OS is nice though although just not as good as other Creeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    Hasn't this one been *drumroll* reformulated into a shell of its former glory?

OS is nice though although just not as good as other Creeds.
    I don't think it's been reformulated noticeably, I got my bottle of Individuel about a year and a half ago and the performance/scent is great, maybe even stronger than how it used to be in the 2000s. I think it's a no brainer "beater" fragrance if you like the scent of OS, since it's so cheap. I personally wouldn't pay 10x more for OS than I would for a bottle of Individuel, but if you think it's worth it then go for it!
    Currently wearing: Sung Homme by Alfred Sung

OS by far. If price is an issue, then Mont Blanc is a good option.
    Currently wearing: Ombré Leather by Tom Ford

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jack103 View Post
    I don't think it's been reformulated noticeably, I got my bottle of Individuel about a year and a half ago and the performance/scent is great, maybe even stronger than how it used to be in the 2000s. I think it's a no brainer "beater" fragrance if you like the scent of OS, since it's so cheap. I personally wouldn't pay 10x more for OS than I would for a bottle of Individuel, but if you think it's worth it then go for it!
    Nice one thanks. Haven't inhaled it for a while as I'm not generally a fan of that style anyway but this thread got me wondering, hence the question.

I prefer the Montblanc.
    Currently wearing: Black by Puredistance

This reminded me how annoying it is that fragrancex still spells this fragrance as "Individuelle."

Quote Originally Posted by Nastka View Post
    I bought MBI because I really liked how the trail smelled. However, up close, it's harsh, jarring and nasty to my nose. I gave it away.

I know I've tried OS but can't remember what it smelled like. So not very memorable to me to say the least.
    Same here. Something about how the fresh/dryer sheet accord in Individuel interacts with the gourmand elements started grating on me up close, and eventually it started to bother me all the time.

I honestly don't remember OS in detail and probably won't re-sample. But really, this kind of thing isn't my style in the first place, so take this with a grain of salt.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Essex - But born & bred in good old East London

Original Santal is better (as it should be). I find it much creamier and better ingredients. Saying that....There's not much in it.
    All Time Favorites
    Vintage Fahrenheit - Dior
    Aventus - Creed
    Bois du Portugal - Creed
    Green Irish Tweed - Creed
    Original Santal - Creed
    Royal Oud - Creed
    Halfeti - Penhaligon's
    Heritage (edt) - Guerlain
    Mousse Illuminee - Rouge Perfumery
    L'Air Du Desert Marocain - Tauer
    Baccarat Rouge 540 - MFK
    Uomo Intense - Valentino

Original Santal, nor Individuel for that matter, never seems to find a long-term home in my wardrobe.

Generally, with fragrance...almost to my own surprise...I do find that what might seem like very small differences can justify spending considerably more.
    Currently wearing: Homme de Grès by Grès

Monblanc individuel was launched in 2003. Creed OS in 2005 so extract your own conclusions. Save your money, believe me.

I enjoy the Creed more, but for how similar they are, is it a redundant purchase?

Thanks!
    I own both, I prefer OS to Individuel. The raspberry note in Individuel bothers me when wearing it over time or to many days in a row, and there is no raspberry in Original Santal.

I own both and they are very similar. OS has a light citrus opening that disappears quickly and has a more distinct sandalwood base. Individuel more raspberry, OS more cinnamon.

Purchased OS for the collection. I use both interchangeably.

I would pick up OS and not look back.

From a personal viewpoint alone: on one hand (even if slightly off topic) liking both enough that it would be a difficult decision if having to settle for only one of the two. On the other, the choice is somehow made easier since these are still not that similar to make owning both redundant and besides, even for its steep price, OS remains a good choice.
    Currently wearing: Boss Bottled by Hugo Boss

I have never smelled the Creed, but I own the Mont Blanc. It's a pretty good fragrance, but I have no idea of how close it is to OS. I would like to give all the Creed's a sniff at one point or another, due to their popularity and strong following.

To answer the question, I generally feel it's worth owning the more expensive version of a fragrance, if you can detect enough difference. If not, then save your money and buy the lower cost version.

Heck, I detect enough differences in Acqua di Gio Profumo and Acqua di Gio Profumo Special Blend that I feel it's totally worth owning both bottles. The scent and the performance are both different enough that I feel it's worth it. However, that is one of my favorite fragrances. YMMV, of course.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Dependent

You have to decide, in my case I own Montblanc Individuel, but for example I also own Creed Aventus and it's counterparts, Mancera Cedrat Boise, BN9 Scent of Peace for Him, BN9 HTTP, Al Haramain L'Aventure, so don't listen to me.

Basenotes Plus

I really didn't dig Creed's Original Santal. It was too powedery and cloying and persistent. The scent was somewhat pleasing but fatiguing after 3-4 hours when I sampled it. It just wasn't my cup of tea. I have not tried Mont Blanc Individuel.
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Freed from BN Institution

Yes. Personally I consider Original Santal one of the worst Creeds.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35