Code of Conduct

Default Armani eau pour homme and Versace L'Homme

I had a more current formulation of Armani eau pour homme with the silver bottom, and I sold it. Is the one with the black bottom worth having if I didn't really care for the other?

I feel the same about Versace L'Homme. The bottle I have is labeled "Eurotalia".

I like both of these, but I just feel like there's more to them when I read everyone's thoughts on the earlier formulations.

Please adise.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Armani eau pour homme and Versace L'Homme

Can't speak to the current Armani, but the original is a gem IMO.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Can't speak to the current Armani, but the original is a gem IMO.
    This.
    As for Versace, if you did not like current one the vintage won't be satisfying either. Vintage is better but the DNA is same.
    Lemme know if you want to sample them.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Escada Homme by Escada

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    This.
    As for Versace, if you did not like current one the vintage won't be satisfying either. Vintage is better but the DNA is same.
    Lemme know if you want to sample them.
    Hmmmm....ok. I'll send you a PM.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

The original Armani has all the oakmoss they gutted from the current. Normally I'm not part of the "Deep Vintage or Die" pitchfork mob, but in this case, they are day and night. However, Armani Eau Eau Pour Homme still isn't a strong fragrance even in vintage. Think of it as Acqua di Giò's chypre father.

The Versace has held up much better over the years, meaning if you don't dig current, you probably won't dig vintage as the differences are slight. Older is rounder and "fluffier" but the basic accord is the same.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: The Dreamer by Versace

I've never tried the current Armani Eau PH. Didn't care for the original, so I can't imagine the current is any good either. The original did have about as much oakmoss as I've smelled in a fragrance, so if you really like oakmoss it might be worth a sniff.

I'll be the dissenting voice on vintage Versace L'Homme. I absolutely think vintage is different enough to seek out. It's a smooth, rounded, green-tinged leather. The current version isn't a leather to my nose and isn't very smooth. I wouldn't worry about seeking out the original version as I think the 2nd version is better. The great thing about Vintage Versace L'Homme is that it's still really affordable. This is what the 2nd version looks like:

s-l1600.jpg

The original has VERSACE in thin script. It's actually about the same price as the 2nd version, but it didn't perform as well for me. I might have just gotten a bottle that wasn't stored well though.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

The only two fragrances you need.

Basenotes Plus

I prefer original release with both of these. The oakmoss as stated with the Armani indeed make a night and day difference. I have a bottle of the thin script original L’Homme and find it richer and smoother than the 2nd version (which is still a good version) and also prefer the leather in the OG. BUT, if you’re on the fence about L’Homme and not sure if it’s going to suit your style, check out the sample from Papsi and save money for other avenues. In either case, no need to get caught up in an idea that you “need” to like something or might be missing out on something. There’s plenty PLENTY other jewels out there waiting for your affection.

Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

I'm probably the odd one here. I like the Versace way more than Armani Eau pour Homme, both of which I own in their original versions. As for oakmoss, the Armani has a good dose, but it's not an oakmoss bomb in anyway. As well, no note overshadows the other and I always felt like it was over balanced. I prefer sharper citruses - neither Armani nor monsieur de Givenchy satisfy me in this regards, as much as they're revered by several basenoters I revere

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    I prefer original release with both of these. The oakmoss as stated with the Armani indeed make a night and day difference. I have a bottle of the thin script original L’Homme and find it richer and smoother than the 2nd version (which is still a good version) and also prefer the leather in the OG. BUT, if you’re on the fence about L’Homme and not sure if it’s going to suit your style, check out the sample from Papsi and save money for other avenues. In either case, no need to get caught up in an idea that you “need” to like something or might be missing out on something. There’s plenty PLENTY other jewels out there waiting for your affection.

Once upon a time this was a crowded genre so you're right. There are tons of these citrus/woods/herbs/moss chypres, and although this might be heresy, a lot of them do smell alike. They were the "aquatic" in essence before that genre exisited; the lighter and fresher option sitting in opposition to heavy orientals and blobby fougères. Adding more leather to the equation takes into an entirely different tangent altogether, as does adding powder.

IFRA put the nail in the coffin of the genre that was dying a slow death from falling out of fashion througj the late 80's into the 90's anyway thanks to making the key base note contraband, but there are plenty of examples outside these two. The catch is, surviving examples are slowly thinning out and rising in price. Another 10 years from now and the bulk of these will be Osmothequé-grade trophies not for sniffing by mere mortals.

While the getting is good, I'd also try YSL Pour Homme, Moustache, Monsieur de Givenchy, Capucci Pour Homme, Gianfranco Ferré for Man, Douro/Eau de Portugal by Penhaligon's, Avon Tribute, Arden for Men Sandalwood, Revlon That Man, Aramis Tuscany Per Uomo, Monsieur Lanvin, Hermès Equipage, and Boucheron Pour Homme.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Once upon a time this was a crowded genre so you're right. There are tons of these citrus/woods/herbs/moss chypres, and although this might be heresy, a lot of them do smell alike. They were the "aquatic" in essence before that genre exisited; the lighter and fresher option sitting in opposition to heavy orientals and blobby fougères. Adding more leather to the equation takes into an entirely different tangent altogether, as does adding powder.

IFRA put the nail in the coffin of the genre that was dying a slow death from falling out of fashion througj the late 80's into the 90's anyway thanks to making the key base note contraband, but there are plenty of examples outside these two. The catch is, surviving examples are slowly thinning out and rising in price. Another 10 years from now and the bulk of these will be Osmothequé-grade trophies not for sniffing by mere mortals.

While the getting is good, I'd also try YSL Pour Homme, Moustache, Monsieur de Givenchy, Capucci Pour Homme, Gianfranco Ferré for Man, Douro/Eau de Portugal by Penhaligon's, Avon Tribute, Arden for Men Sandalwood, Revlon That Man, Aramis Tuscany Per Uomo, Monsieur Lanvin, Hermès Equipage, and Boucheron Pour Homme.
    That’s the right mindset really. There’s plenty fragrances that I read others wax poetic and then I try it and am either left with a big question mark floating over my head, it’s simply not my style, or, I find it glorious but could never wear it in my climate. Louisiana has crazy climate but most of the year it’s hot and humid. A maple tree could damn near become an evergreen here. So while shaker bottle Bel Ami is one of my all-time favorite leathers, it’s also not something that really wears we for me most of the time. I can wear a suede leather like Eau de Memo or Coach Leatherware 01 year round. I know, I know... heresy, off with his head. And yet it’s true. Overall, I find my tastes like up pretty similarly to the vintage group here, with a few differences here and there. But even though those tastes stay similar, a lot of stuff just doesn’t work for me.

When I first joined the Basenotes community I figured everyone’s nose presented the same story to their brain as mine. I knew likes would be different simply due to interactions with others in my life outside of Basenotes. But here, here at Basenotes, we’re not the bums found walking the isles of big stores like zombies, looking for the next freshie “what gets the other person in my bed” fragrance. Oh, no. We’re refined. Educated. Alas, we are still just people with likes and dislikes and perceptions and goals and budgets, etc. At the early point that I had that epiphany, my Basenotes life lost any anxiety because it’s completely ok for everyone to like something different (I wish every hated Nobile ) and still have great experience here. That’s the beauty of it really. I get to trust my nose and stick to what I like, and at the same time share experiences that connect me to who you are... and all through our passion of fragrance. Pretty epic really.

And now that my morning un-caffeinated rant is over, and more on point... As ZC pointed out, for every fragrance that’s adored here there’s another in the same genre that you may prefer due to tastes, skin chemistry issues, or climate issues. So don’t get hung up on any idea that you’re missing something. Sometimes you may be missing out on something that you haven’t experienced. But if you’ve smelled it and it’s not clicking with you, then it’s just not for you. Try something else within the genre or something else completely.

Can someone hold my hand as I step off this soapbox, please?

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    That’s the right mindset really. There’s plenty fragrances that I read others wax poetic and then I try it and am either left with a big question mark floating over my head, it’s simply not my style, or, I find it glorious but could never wear it in my climate. Louisiana has crazy climate but most of the year it’s hot and humid. A maple tree could damn near become an evergreen here. So while shaker bottle Bel Ami is one of my all-time favorite leathers, it’s also not something that really wears we for me most of the time. I can wear a suede leather like Eau de Memo or Coach Leatherware 01 year round. I know, I know... heresy, off with his head. And yet it’s true. Overall, I find my tastes like up pretty similarly to the vintage group here, with a few differences here and there. But even though those tastes stay similar, a lot of stuff just doesn’t work for me.

When I first joined the Basenotes community I figured everyone’s nose presented the same story to their brain as mine. I knew likes would be different simply due to interactions with others in my life outside of Basenotes. But here, here at Basenotes, we’re not the bums found walking the isles of big stores like zombies, looking for the next freshie “what gets the other person in my bed” fragrance. Oh, no. We’re refined. Educated. Alas, we are still just people with likes and dislikes and perceptions and goals and budgets, etc. At the early point that I had that epiphany, my Basenotes life lost any anxiety because it’s completely ok for everyone to like something different (I wish every hated Nobile ) and still have great experience here. That’s the beauty of it really. I get to trust my nose and stick to what I like, and at the same time share experiences that connect me to who you are... and all through our passion of fragrance. Pretty epic really.

And now that my morning un-caffeinated rant is over, and more on point... As ZC pointed out, for every fragrance that’s adored here there’s another in the same genre that you may prefer due to tastes, skin chemistry issues, or climate issues. So don’t get hung up on any idea that you’re missing something. Sometimes you may be missing out on something that you haven’t experienced. But if you’ve smelled it and it’s not clicking with you, then it’s just not for you. Try something else within the genre or something else completely.

Can someone hold my hand as I step off this soapbox, please?

Look out it's Citizen Kane over here (just kidding).

Basenotes Plus

Look out it's Citizen Kane over here (just kidding).
    As I look back over my novel I posted at 5am, I’m just glad that I didn’t have as many grammatical issues as I should’ve.

Yeah....so I'm going with the samples on these. I contemplate these two alllll the time .

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by allkindsofwatches1 View Post
    Yeah....so I'm going with the samples on these. I contemplate these two alllll the time .

You, for sure, will not regret sampling them my friend.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Easy enough to get older versions of these. The Armani is an Eau de Cologne with oak moss. I’m surprised it doesn’t get more love. The Versace is immense, on par with favorites such as Antaeus and Moschino Pour Homme.
    Last edited by Bavard; 10th March 2019 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Easy to enough to get older versions of these. The Armani is an Eau de Cologne with oak moss. I’m surprised it doesn’t get more love. The Versace is immense, on par with favorites such as Antaeus and Moschino Pour Homme.
    See....comments like this keep these in focus for me.

I agree with Bavard. Vintage Versace is very good and worth buying. I didn't like the current L'Homme at all, but I got the chance to buy the vintage one at a very good price, and then another one .....now it is in my Top 5 best scents from my collection.

Considering Versace l'Homme in its current formulations still worthy and although being also among the Armani Eau pour Homme fans in the current formulation, still rating Versace l'Homme as one of the better current reformulation, better even than the personal favorite Armani Eau pour Homme, at least in comparison to the beauty and complexity found in the vintage formulation of both-Versace l'Homme remaining so far the one aging more gracefully, but also more attractively and with additional/increased performance
    Currently wearing: Citrus & Wood by Yardley

Basenotes Plus

So I own vintage Versace L'Homme and had the modern version that I fell in love with it that caused me to seek out the vintages. I also own pre-Cosmair Armani Eau pour Homme and Cosmair - not sure how the current stuff stands.

The Armani is brilliant in the opening, but I feel it falls kind of flat similar to Eau Sauvage - in that it just smells like a orangy skin-scent later on. Whereas the Dior might have a little more.. character/heft to it at that stage. The Armani doesn't seem that strong to me.

The Versace has held up DAMN well with vintage compared to current. I was maybe kind of surprised at just how similar the two are. Excellent stuff for a stupidly low price.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!
    Currently wearing: Aurum by Al Kimiya

Quote Originally Posted by cpp214 View Post
    I've never tried the current Armani Eau PH. Didn't care for the original, so I can't imagine the current is any good either. The original did have about as much oakmoss as I've smelled in a fragrance, so if you really like oakmoss it might be worth a sniff.

I'll be the dissenting voice on vintage Versace L'Homme. I absolutely think vintage is different enough to seek out. It's a smooth, rounded, green-tinged leather. The current version isn't a leather to my nose and isn't very smooth. I wouldn't worry about seeking out the original version as I think the 2nd version is better. The great thing about Vintage Versace L'Homme is that it's still really affordable. This is what the 2nd version looks like:

s-l1600.jpg

The original has VERSACE in thin script. It's actually about the same price as the 2nd version, but it didn't perform as well for me. I might have just gotten a bottle that wasn't stored well though.
    Does this bottle read "Eurotalia" on the bottom? It looks like the bottle I have. It was given to me without the box so I'm not sure.

Soooo.....after a little nudge from papsi .....I finally got around to testing the samples that he sent me.

Versace L'Homme: The formulation I have is wayyyy sharper in the beginning than the vintage. I sprayed them both on paper first. After an hour the more current was still going strong and the vintage had toned down a lot but seemed to have a little sweetness in the dry down. After another 30 minutes, they both seemed to be about the same. I don't detect much difference after they both have settled down on paper and on my wrists. The leather actually comes through pretty good in the base to me. I don't see any need to seek out the vintage because I will never finish this bottle that I have.

Armani Eau Pour Homme: Now this was definitely worth testing the vintage. I like it a lot compared to my first experience with the current formulation. I don't have the current to test side by side but I do remember that It seemed a little harsh in the opening. The vintage is very smooth in the opening and the dry down seems a lot smoother too. The oakmoss is very nice in the dry down here. I like this. I will probably seek out a bottle with the black base as I assume this is where the sample came from.

I know my explanations are not very elaborate but that the best I can do. You all know these I'm sure. Overall, they are both very nice woody fragrances. I do like the vintage Armani Eau Pour Homme a lot better than the Versace L'Homme but I keep it and continue to wear it when the mood strikes.

Thanks for the samples epapsiou!

Wait....the Armani same is from a mini with the black base.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Soooo.....after a little nudge from papsi .....I finally got around to testing the samples that he sent me.

Versace L'Homme: The formulation I have is wayyyy sharper in the beginning than the vintage. I sprayed them both on paper first. After an hour the more current was still going strong and the vintage had toned down a lot but seemed to have a little sweetness in the dry down. After another 30 minutes, they both seemed to be about the same. I don't detect much difference after they both have settled down on paper and on my wrists. The leather actually comes through pretty good in the base to me. I don't see any need to seek out the vintage because I will never finish this bottle that I have.

Armani Eau Pour Homme: Now this was definitely worth testing the vintage. I like it a lot compared to my first experience with the current formulation. I don't have the current to test side by side but I do remember that It seemed a little harsh in the opening. The vintage is very smooth in the opening and the dry down seems a lot smoother too. The oakmoss is very nice in the dry down here. I like this. I will probably seek out a bottle with the black base as I assume this is where the sample came from.

I know my explanations are not very elaborate but that the best I can do. You all know these I'm sure. Overall, they are both very nice woody fragrances. I do like the vintage Armani Eau Pour Homme a lot better than the Versace L'Homme but I keep it and continue to wear it when the mood strikes.

When in doubt, get both!

When in doubt, get both!

Always be smelling

Glad you liked them. As I said earlier, Armani should be vintage. Versace maybe not.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Escada Homme by Escada

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    Glad you liked them. As I said earlier, Armani should be vintage. Versace maybe not.
    I do like them both. I didn't smell a huge difference in the VLH. I will seek out the AEPH. Thanks again.