Code of Conduct

Default The Aventus DNA may become mainstream soon.

I was thinking about this earlier today after reading a bunch of reviews and watching some videos of Mont Blanc's new fragrance, Explorer.

Creed Aventus is easily the most cloned/copied fragrance in the history of perfume, no doubt. It's only a matter of time before the DNA becomes mainstream, and it is no longer the unique and exclusive scent it once was, which saddens me a bit.

It was already heading in this direction the last few years with new clones coming out every other week (literally). But now that a department store designer brand has taken their shot at duplicating the Aventus scent character, and it will be available alongside all your other basic designer releases in every Macys and Hudson's Bay across the country, we're going to hit a point soon where it isn't remotely special anymore. It may even hit a point where the Aventus DNA falls victim to the next 'blue fragrance' phase. It just won't be unique anymore. People will start recognizing it, and you won't stand out anymore.

Maybe I'm thinking too much like a fraghead.

Thoughts?
    Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book, just turn the page.

"It smells really good, it's not Aventus though."
    Currently wearing: Royal Oud by Creed

Dependent

Default Re: The Aventus DNA may become mainstream soon.

Didn’t it already with Sauvage? It relies heavily on the Aventus skeleton of synthetics, juat overdosed and tweaked for that foghorn bro-juz effect.

It is somewhat of a mashup between Aventus and Pluriel M, taking elements of niche cult bro-juice and a classic male scent created by FK, a master of mass-marketable scents.
    “To defeat an enemy you must know them. Not simply their battle tactics, but their history, philosophy, art.”
    Grand Admiral Thrawn

I think your musings are really valid. It's a fantastic scent, but Aventus is definitely reaching BdC levels of hype and beyond. A part of the hype is also due to the growing popularity of fragrances in general. At the very least, it's definitely a current trend in style. Shoot, Russell Westbrook has in own frag with Byredo now. It makes sense (albeit in a sad, dystopian kind of way) that folks want to associate with exclusive, luxury brands like Creed. There's this garrish need to flaunt in 2019 that seems quite pervasive. I see pics on frag groups where folks are posing with a bottle of Aventus in their BMW/Audi while wearing a Rolex or Omega. It's especially odd to me because, ultimately, such posturing strikes me as hopelessly effete and emasculated. Again, though I love Aventus, but I think it will soon run its course as the market saturates with innumerable clones.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Banned

It'll be interesting for sure because it will urge Creed to unveil the true successor to Aventus - no, not Viking which was merely a stopgap so people didn't cry they were one trick ponies cashing in on a good thing when Fruitbowl 2.0 dropped - which I'm expecting to be chock full of shiny new captives and with a similar dark and light twist with a new fruity top and different elements in the base and the clonesharks will again fall over themselves to try and approximate it the best they can in their bathtubs.

Either way it will be interesting to see their response as whilst MBE isn't an Aventus clone per se it does shark a lot of the style, as did Sauvage, and package it for the masses.

Sauvage and Aventus smell similar? You have to be f...ing joking!

The nearest to Aventus I have smelt is Morning Chess and it's still worth having both imo.

The market is already over saturated with Aventus clones and pretty soon nobody will care because everyone will be tired of it. All I want is a new groundbreaking fragrance that shifts focus from this atrocity.

You are all paranoid loll!! Or your nose is fucked up...

There is no aventus clones that you could be blindfolded and say «THIS is aventus» because ALL the clones have something missing that makes aventus still so unique. I smelled pretty much all the clones even the new montblanc explorer and I can easily tell which one is aventus blindolded. They either don’t open the same and/or drydown the same than aventus. This is something I find very addictive and unique in aventus. That mossy-musky pineapple is heavenly and still not cloned so far. Yes some have quite good similarities but still miss something. There is this coworker girl that simply can’t get enough of aventus on me and some days I used CDNIM and Pineapple Vintage (which are supposed to be the 2 best clones and the more identical to aventus) just to check her reaction and she immediately told me «why you did not used my lovely perfume today». I told her its still aventus, she came sniffing my neck and told me «yeah right probably used something in the same genre but this is NOT what you wear everyday». Lolll seriously, even the people who are not a fraghead can notice its not aventus. Yes, similar but NOT aventus.

So... even if there is 100 new clones, who cares?? Its still not aventus and will never have that mysterious and unique mossy/musky-pineapple aura that aventus is giving around you.

I bet if you go in a big party with a bunch of dudes wearing some clones and you have aventus on you will still stand out of the crowd.

NOTHING and really NOTHING will ever have that magic touch like aventus so I really don’t care about all the mainstream cheap clones.
    KEEP
    CALM
    AND
    SMELL
    GOOD

I think aventus smells good but man I must not have the fragrance blood yet that most have over fragrances because while it's good I don't quite get the absolute gushing aventus gets. There's a part in it that smells like dirt to me and I just can't get there to putting it on the pedestal it's on but that's just me and I'm a noob, but it's just where I am with it.. And I also agree with above in I don't think sauvage and aventus smell anything alike

Quote Originally Posted by The People's Champ View Post
    I think aventus smells good but man I must not have the fragrance blood yet that most have over fragrances because while it's good I don't quite get the absolute gushing aventus gets. There's a part in it that smells like dirt to me and I just can't get there to putting it on the pedestal it's on but that's just me and I'm a noob, but it's just where I am with it.. And I also agree with above in I don't think sauvage and aventus smell anything alike
    CDNIM smells like dirt not Aventus one bit...

Quote Originally Posted by SharpLess View Post
    CDNIM smells like dirt not Aventus one bit...
    No I'm going by what I own, not talking about anything other than just aventus in that when I have worn it I like it but there's an earthy dirt note I get that I am not always crazy about. However when I have used my Explorer I feel it's similar but without that note. But my main post was just that I don't personally consider Aventus the be all end all in the world of fragrances.

What batch is it? I'm certain it's patchouli you're smelling but I never noticed any batch that Aventus had a dirty patchouli, only a very clean one.

What batch is it? I'm certain it's patchouli you're smelling but I never noticed any batch that Aventus had a dirty patchouli, only a very clean one.
    Not sure, I bought a decant of it first. It's just I at times pick up a dirt smell, it's not bad or anything but it's what it comes across to me as... Very earthy.

I think Sauvage did this to Aventus already. Mont Blanc's smell-alike is coming at the tail-end of Aventus' hype train. I'd argue Aventus hype peaked right around 2015/2016.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Dolce_Vita87 View Post
    ALL the clones have something missing that makes Aventus still so unique.
    Agree.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by The People's Champ View Post
    Not sure, I bought a decant of it first. It's just I at times pick up a dirt smell, it's not bad or anything but it's what it comes across to me as... Very earthy.
    There's a very real chance somebody added real patchouli to your decant, does your decant of Aventus have a soft yellow tint? That would explain it. Patchouli to me smells like wet dirt/soil like when you are planting in a garden.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolce_Vita87 View Post
    You are all paranoid loll!! Or your nose is fucked up...

There is no aventus clones that you could be blindfolded and say «THIS is aventus» because ALL the clones have something missing that makes aventus still so unique. I smelled pretty much all the clones even the new montblanc explorer and I can easily tell which one is aventus blindolded. They either don’t open the same and/or drydown the same than aventus. This is something I find very addictive and unique in aventus. That mossy-musky pineapple is heavenly and still not cloned so far. Yes some have quite good similarities but still miss something. There is this coworker girl that simply can’t get enough of aventus on me and some days I used CDNIM and Pineapple Vintage (which are supposed to be the 2 best clones and the more identical to aventus) just to check her reaction and she immediately told me «why you did not used my lovely perfume today». I told her its still aventus, she came sniffing my neck and told me «yeah right probably used something in the same genre but this is NOT what you wear everyday». Lolll seriously, even the people who are not a fraghead can notice its not aventus. Yes, similar but NOT aventus.

So... even if there is 100 new clones, who cares?? Its still not aventus and will never have that mysterious and unique mossy/musky-pineapple aura that aventus is giving around you.

I bet if you go in a big party with a bunch of dudes wearing some clones and you have aventus on you will still stand out of the crowd.

NOTHING and really NOTHING will ever have that magic touch like aventus so I really don’t care about all the mainstream cheap clones.
    This is what I want to hear! I also can tell scent wise Aventus stands well above the clones, I just hope the general public will still notice that. I don't want to be wearing Aventus and have someone say "Oh, you're wearing that Mont Blanc, nice".
    Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book, just turn the page.

There's a very real chance somebody added real patchouli to your decant, does your decant of Aventus have a soft yellow tint? That would explain it. Patchouli to me smells like wet dirt/soil like when you are planting in a garden.
    It could also be 15Y11. That batch has a dirty pineapple vibe to my nose...

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle08 View Post
    This is what I want to hear! I also can tell scent wise Aventus stands well above the clones, I just hope the general public will still notice that. I don't want to be wearing Aventus and have someone say "Oh, you're wearing that Mont Blanc, nice".
    Is it more important, that they think of a more expensive scent when they catch a whiff, than if they think it smells nice?
    “To defeat an enemy you must know them. Not simply their battle tactics, but their history, philosophy, art.”
    Grand Admiral Thrawn

Quote Originally Posted by Norstrøm View Post
    Is it more important, that they think of a more expensive scent when they catch a whiff, than if they think it smells nice?
    This is really what it comes down to haha. There's this weird trend to not only just smell nice, but to smell exclusive and opulent, if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Norstrøm View Post
    I suppose for me it isn't about just smelling nice, there's a big part of me that wants to stand out from the 'Sauvage and BdC' crowd, and there's nothing wrong with that. Some people don't care and just want to smell good and appeal to the masses. I'm saying I don't want the scent DNA to reach that point, and not have the uniqueness/wow-factor anymore. Even if it DOES get to that point, it will still be mass-appealing, it will still get compliments, and still smell amazing. It just won't be a Creed thing anymore.

I have to say for me also creed aventus is probably the most unique scent ever made for men regardless the batch /year/formula. Since I smelled it the very first time somewhere in 2015 until this days it always smelled fantastic and different then any other fragrance. When I was able I got myself a bottle and when I was on a budget I passed and got a clone instead . Ofcourse some of this clones are doing a good job in giving you this aventus vibe and I totally agree that none of them have the same journey on the skin and none of them shares the same qualities(didn't try pineapple vintage or cederat boise but well familiar with the rest of them) the worries about creed becoming a mainstream scent is to late because aventus and aventus clones are basically everywhere!
    I come across it at least 3-4 times a day on the train or in the office and I actually smelled it on 12 different people on a wedding couple of weeks ago. So here goes the uniqueness but this reason isn't enough for me to stop wearing it ,the only thing that can is the fact that they raised the price sky high while the amount of juice has been reduced. I don't see any business model that requires such action aspecially on a growing company like creed. The global hype around their products was supposed to make them make more money and instead they allegedly spend money on reviewers on you tube to justify and explain to us this resized and repriced bottles . For me this is an offensive and greedy action which made me think less of them and i really struggle not to buy it again ,not on this condition anyway and I don't agree with this over priced fragrances in order to keep them exclusive because we all know money is not an issue when we fall in love with something and a 19 years old guy will get it if he loves it even if it means he'll go to sleep hungry for a month so why making it harder for us for God's sake?
    Currently wearing: Psychedelic Love by Initio

I don’t think the DNA needs to become mainstream for Aventus to lose what it once was, I got my first bottle around 5/6 years ago, when I first started wearing it I would get stopped multiple times a day and asked about the fragrance I was wearing, fast forward to 2019 and sure I still get stopped but now it’s more to the tune of “you are wearing Aventus” the mythical creature that Aventus once was is now very much mainstream without a direct “high street” clone available for the masses.

Personally I live in hope of something that supersedes Aventus and gives us a newer twist on this style of fragrance.
    My Most Complimented:

1). Aventus - Creed
    2). Sauvage - Dior
    3). Allure Homme Sport - Chanel
    4). L'Homme - Prada
    5). Acqua Di Gio Profumo - Giorgio Armani

As long as its mainstream success also includes fragrances that are not merely copies but far more variations on its DNA (with more/less smoke, more/less pineapple etc.) would not have any problem to sample these mainstream renditions at least once.
    And to see whether there has been at least some minimal effort to bring something more on the market than just another attempt of a near identical Aventus clone.

Quote Originally Posted by UnluckyXIII View Post
    I don’t think the DNA needs to become mainstream for Aventus to lose what it once was, I got my first bottle around 5/6 years ago, when I first started wearing it I would get stopped multiple times a day and asked about the fragrance I was wearing, fast forward to 2019 and sure I still get stopped but now it’s more to the tune of “you are wearing Aventus” the mythical creature that Aventus once was is now very much mainstream without a direct “high street” clone available for the masses.

Personally I live in hope of something that supersedes Aventus and gives us a newer twist on this style of fragrance.
    I know what you mean. A lot of people aren't taken back by the scent anymore. It still smells good, but nowadays most people have smelled it multiple times on someone here and there, and it doesn't have the wow factor it used to have. It was already heading in this direction with its popularity, and now with Explorer on the market it will just become more mainstream unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle08 View Post
    I know what you mean. A lot of people aren't taken back by the scent anymore. It still smells good, but nowadays most people have smelled it multiple times on someone here and there, and it doesn't have the wow factor it used to have. It was already heading in this direction with its popularity, and now with Explorer on the market it will just become more mainstream unfortunately.
    i think we’re all forgetting that 98% of the people out there have no idea what aventus is.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyle View Post
    i think we’re all forgetting that 98% of the people out there have no idea what aventus is.
    That's a good point. Sometimes we think too much and look at things like everyone is a fraghead. In general, even something that has been as widely successful as Acqua Di Gio will still have many people who wouldn't be able to name the scent, or even recognize it.

In Germany Aventus IS mainstream since a few years.

If you walk around in Munich you will notice many guys - some proper douchebags, drunk and yelling in public, too - who wear Aventus.
    It's a little bit like the new One Million here.

Banned

The Aventus signature is definitely becoming way more common now in the UK, especially in the past couple of years, which isn't surprising given the dearth of clones and whatnot flying around plus how well its distributed as there are Creed concessions in every department store, in every town, no matter how small.

Amusingly enough they usually leave the Aventus sampler on display empty and keep a full one behind the counter due to how many people come in, soak themselves in it and walk out!

Still a great scent but you know us BN hipsters like to smell different from the crowd. Case in point I was strolling along the other day and met someone I know in passing and within a few moments she said "Mmmm, you're wearing Creed" and said person doesn't care about fumes, aspirational lifestyles or any of the other stuff that Creed pimps - she just recognized the scent because she'd smelled it on someone else on a night out and asked what it was so its definitely no longer unique even though it still smells awesome

No one wants to smell like the next girls ex! Layering is the key my friends

Like I said on the other thread, this is what I think the point of Aventus Cologne is going to be because its still marketed as an EDP and has virtually the same notes so I think they're going to drop very similar juice with maybe a weaker concentration at a lower pricepoint to flood the market and reach those they'd priced out previously in order to squeeze the cash that remains out there before they drop Fruitbowl 2.0 next year.

Its obviously already in production because 18K11 had traces of mint in the opening and thats all that differentiates them in terms of notes. If they release it at around £150/100ml it will sell like crazy and then you'll truly be able to say its time to stick a fork in Aventus because it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post

No one wants to smell like the next girls ex! Layering is the key my friends
    I don't know, if that would be a good or a bad thing - at least there was a time, when the girl loved her boyfriend, so maybe you could trigger nice memories with the "right" scent and make her feel more comforting with you.

But honestly I don't care about something like that.
    Studies say that most guys don't wear perfume and those, who do, grab some cheap drugstore stuff in most cases.
    So chances are low, that you smell like some girls ex, even if you wear Sauvage.

I know, that's hard to believe for us fragrance lovers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Sauvage and Aventus smell similar? You have to be f...ing joking!

The nearest to Aventus I have smelt is Morning Chess and it's still worth having both imo.
    My sentiments exactly, although my expression would be more Shakespearean

In fact, it was only recently when I heard somebody even consider Sauvage in the same ballpark as Aventus... They have similarities...They're both...wet.

Morning Chess is nice...MBE I'm still curious to try. To me the only one which is not worn out is ...Aventus...none have reproduced it at all. To come close is to have missed it altogether.
    In silence, with body and mind still, a depth of understanding may be achieved that is not available to one who languishes at the mercy of life’s relentless chatter.
    Currently wearing: Pour Un Homme by Caron