Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Has Serge Lutens Lost The Plot

with these retail prices of the collection noir of 50ml @120 and 100ml @180 EUR i find it hard to go for retail. Recent online discounts are huuuge. Snapped a vetiver oriental 100ml at 68 EUR shipped. old 50 ml bottles can be found between 40-55 EUR. I have the feeling the serge lutens /shisedo counters in my town (Berlin / germany) do they main business in non fragrant items. Not mentioning the lux series @x times the former price. Sorry, something needs fixing.

I do like the idea of the new 4x7,5ml travel size purse spray edition. The need provide a bigger selection. Are those refiller things refillable ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nastka View Post
    Of course, this is all subjective, but I don't think the quality has fallen that much. If anything, it has picked up lately.

Section d'Or - whilst overpriced - is high quality, and Bapteme de Feu, Dent de Lait and Le Participe Passe from the regular range are all very good and a return to form in my opinion.

The only ones truly mediocre that came out were before that: Laine de Verre, L'Eau de Paille, L'Orpheline and La Religieuse were really not up to par with usual standards and too conceptual for my liking. And once again, before this, you had De Profundis, La Fille de Berlin, Jeux de Peau, Un Voix Noire and Santal Majuscule, which in some ways were rather innovative and great.

It seems that it is all about peaks and troughs with this brand, and hopefully, they're on the way up.

I respectfully agree and disagree in the same time.

Over the 6 (7?) of the Section d'Or, I found 2 quite good, but definitely not worth their price. The other 4/5 were totally uninteresting to my nose.
    I agree that Le Participe Passe is really great. (not impressed by Bapteme de Feu nor Dent de Lait, even if both are original)

I am a fan of Lutens' superstars (MKK, Fumerie Turque, Chergui, Gris Clair) as well as some others a little less famous (like Vetiver Oriental, Clair de Musc and Fourreau Noir), but also not really interested by some other (like Ambre Sultan, that I'm wearing now to give it another chance, but I find it desperatly linear - borderline boring - and Borneo 1834, with a cocao note I am not fan of - and reminds me of L'Instant de Guerlain EDP, that I just like, but not love).
    I agree that L'Orpheline and La Religieuse are soft, cold, conceptual and "black and white", so quite different compared to the usual "coloured" spicy/sweet/loud Lutens. That said different doesn't mean these are below standards: these are designed to reach a different goal, and I felt in love with L'Orpheline and bought a FB shortly after trying it, and I'm even considering buying La Religieuse (despite it leans feminine). I haven't tried any of the eau series (now "Eau de Politesse" series) at the exception of Santal Blanc, which I tried and found useless).
    Of the others you cited, I found De Profundis not worth it, La Fille de Berlin and Jeux de Peau indeed innovative but the final result just ok, and Santal Majuscule was nice, but the name misleading as I struggled to dig out the sandalwood under the cocoa and rose (forgettable imo - but as I said before, I'm not a fan of cocoa).
    Currently wearing: Aventus Cologne by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by ohdeberlin View Post
    I do like the idea of the new 4x7,5ml travel size purse spray edition. The need provide a bigger selection. Are those refiller things refillable ?
    Not sure about the new 4*7.5ml, but the 30ml travel sprays are not.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post

Personally, I’m done with this house. Sheldrake’s departure left a big hole IMO.

Sheldrake never joined Sisheido/Serge Lutens since he always worked for Firmenich, and was hired as a contractor by Lutens when needed (that is nearly always, with a few exceptions, like for Iris Silver Mist).

What do you mean by "departure"? Did Sheldrake or Lutens state that they wouldn't work together anymore in the future? If so, could you please give us a link to your information source?

Thank you in advance!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Andy the frenchy View Post
    Sheldrake never joined Sisheido/Serge Lutens since he always worked for Firmenich, and was hired as a contractor by Lutens when needed (that is nearly always, with a few exceptions, like for Iris Silver Mist).

What do you mean by "departure"? Did Sheldrake or Lutens state that they wouldn't work together anymore in the future? If so, could you please give us a link to your information source?

Thank you in advance!
    I personally never saw said interview but I've read others alluding to some press where Serge referred to Sheldrake as a mere "technician" rather than an "artist" and the general tone being that the creative alliance had run it's course. I have no idea how accurate these reports are...

Quote Originally Posted by Oud Dude View Post
    I personally never saw said interview but I've read others alluding to some press where Serge referred to Sheldrake as a mere "technician" rather than an "artist" and the general tone being that the creative alliance had run it's course. I have no idea how accurate these reports are...
    I've read that too. The usual debate on who "made" the fragrance... The artistic director, which expresses what he wants and approve the products, or the perfumer who make the formulas to be tested and approved...
    Who give the sound to an orchestra? The musicians or the director?
    Who makes a team win? The players or the coach?.....

Long debate on which I have no answer.

Anyways, thank you for the clarifications!

Basenotes Plus

I've read that too. The usual debate on who "made" the fragrance... The artistic director, which expresses what he wants and approve the products, or the perfumer who make the formulas to be tested and approved...

Certainly!

And to your point... there's a great old story about Chet Atkins the great guitar player. Apparently he was playing his guitar for an interviewer when the interviewer remarked, "That guitar sounds amazing!" To which Chet replied, "Oh, really?" then proceeded to set the guitar back on it's stand and then asked the interviewer, "How's it sound now?"

Certainly!

And to your point... there's a great old story about Chet Atkins the great guitar player. Apparently he was playing his guitar for an interviewer when the interviewer remarked, "That guitar sounds amazing!" To which Chet replied, "Oh, really?" then proceeded to set the guitar back on it's stand and then asked the interviewer, "How's it sound now?"
    Nice story

Houses like Lutens and most of the so-called niche market have run their course in my opinion. At this point there is little aesthetic creativity, basically it's a playground for rich people more than a space for genuine perfume lovers - as Turin/Sanchez convincingly argued in the last guide. You want interesting fragrance at prices that realistically relate to the quality of ingredients, try small artisan perfumers, many of which are featured in that guide. Turin also wrote a fitting obituary for Lutens in one review, along the lines of "if Lutens doesn't care anymore, why should I?"

Basenotes Plus

Certainly!

Exactly.

Serge Lutens was the Jeremy Fragrance of his day.

/sarcasm
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Currently wearing: Patchouly by Etro

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Houses like Lutens and most of the so-called niche market have run their course in my opinion. At this point there is little aesthetic creativity, basically it's a playground for rich people more than a space for genuine perfume lovers - as Turin/Sanchez convincingly argued in the last guide. You want interesting fragrance at prices that realistically relate to the quality of ingredients, try small artisan perfumers, many of which are featured in that guide. Turin also wrote a fitting obituary for Lutens in one review, along the lines of "if Lutens doesn't care anymore, why should I?"
    This is pretty much where I sit as well.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Far Away for Men by Avon

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    Exactly.

Serge Lutens was the Jeremy Fragrance of his day.

/sarcasm
    No question! Rumor also has it that Oncle Serge used to have a fragrance review show on La deuxième chaîne where he'd drive around in a rented Bugatti and perform spin moves before recommending Givenchy Gentleman as a "total culotte larguer".

I am not going to comment on Lutens, because I have actually never smelled anything from the house as the whole house is unappealing in my eyes; I think you are right on the nose though. I was just speaking to another about this yesterday that I cannot stand all these brands who just try and cash in on the "next big thing" and do nothing creative. Look at the newest Dolce & Gabbana runway for instance, it is just trite that is falling in line with what everyone else says to do, who are also creating trite. No, I enjoy supporting artists who are making art.

What are we looking for? A Lutens that keeps copying himself, with a guarantee of good result but that may become boring after a while (i.e. Le Participe Passe and L'Innomable, great fragrances imo, but with a deja-vu feeling) or a Lutens who tries to take a new risky direction - minimalism and cleanliness, not to cite it -, but may not please everyone (i.e L'Orpheline, La Religieuse, L'Eau de Paille, and L'Eau d'Armoise)?

It's not bad imo, these just need to be listened quietly, with some attention. These are more "personal" and "meditative" fragrances, as opposed to the usual bulldozers (that I love - MKK, Fumerie Turque, Chergui, Fourreau Noir, Ambre Sultan...) that can be heard a mile away without asking for it.

Because it's not sweet, spicy and loud it's obviously bad? I disagree and think that Lutens is at a very important stage of experimentation.
    I understand that Lutens fans may be expecting again colourful orient-inspired fragrances, and that now Lutens is delivery more black/grey concrete-inspired fragrances, but at some points, there's the need for a change not to become a parody of themselves. I'm not surprised that the majority of people dislike the last releases, because experiments are not crowdpleasing by definition...

Basenotes Plus

What are we looking for? A Lutens that keeps copying himself, with a guarantee of good result but that may become boring after a while (i.e. Le Participe Passe and L'Innomable, great fragrances imo, but with a deja-vu feeling) or a Lutens who tries to take a new risky direction - minimalism and cleanliness, not to cite it -, but may not please everyone (i.e L'Orpheline, La Religieuse, L'Eau de Paille, and L'Eau d'Armoise)?

It's not bad imo, these just need to be listened quietly, with some attention. These are more "personal" and "meditative" fragrances, as opposed to the usual bulldozers (that I love - MKK, Fumerie Turque, Chergui, Fourreau Noir, Ambre Sultan...) that can be heard a mile away without asking for it.

Because it's not sweet, spicy and loud it's obviously bad? I disagree and think that Lutens is at a very important stage of experimentation.
    I understand that Lutens fans may be expecting again colourful orient-inspired fragrances, and that now Lutens is delivery more black/grey concrete-inspired fragrances, but at some points, there's the need for a change not to become a parody of themselves. I'm not surprised that the majority of people dislike the last releases, because experiments are not crowdpleasing by definition...
    You say "meditative" but I'm closer to Turin's verdict of "dismal". I haven't smelled the others you mentioned, but L'Orpheline and La Religieuse were so completely underwhelming to my nose. Not surprisingly, you can pick up either of these now heavily discounted from the absurd sticker price.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

I agree with your point about Lutens taking a new direction to experiment with minimalism and cleanliness during the last decade, although with mixed results in my opinion. I think it's partly because it's inherently not easy to compose a dramatic clean/minimalistic perfume, while one can have more directions to explore with a colourful, more extreme composition. Personally speaking, Laine de Verre is a standout in his "clean" era, as it successfully evokes the glass texture to me and presents it with a dramatic enough fashion. I also think some of them, such as Baptême de Feu, L'Orpheline and La Religieuse, have some interesting ideas or very coherent execution. However, some of them, like L'Eau de Paille and La Vierge de Fer, feel too attached to their basic ideas (aquatic fougere and fruity floral), thus very underwhelming and even kind of cynically appealing to mass-market when compared to others in Lutens' portofolio.

Because I'd first fallen love with his oriental and dramatic floral perfumes, I used to wish that he'd return from his experimentation of minimalism to his signature orientals. But after smelling L'Innommable and Le Participe Passé, which are more like meek remix of his older perfumes (especially Le Particpe Passé, although it's fitting for its theme), I'd rather he'd continue his previous exploration...
    Currently wearing: Club Design by The Zoo

You say "meditative" but I'm closer to Turin's verdict of "dismal". I haven't smelled the others you mentioned, but L'Orpheline and La Religieuse were so completely underwhelming to my nose. Not surprisingly, you can pick up either of these now heavily discounted from the absurd sticker price.
    Turin is a failed chemist (after the publication of a few highly criticized scientific papers that he had to withdraw), who reconverted into perfume critics. I've read just enough of his reviews to understand that it was not worth giving him too much credit. He's like Parker in the wine world: he has a limited nose - and clearly invent parts of his reviews - , but he rules the industry with a guide that scares the producers, because he invented a system to downvote the ones who did not financially "help" him with his guide.

Turin parenthesis being closed, I personally love L'Orpheline and La Religieuse, question of tastes I guess. While the latter may not be very unique, it's well blended imo. As opposed to L'Orpheline, which despite its simple construction, I could not find any similar fragrance to compare with.

One can indeed easily find La Religieuse discounted. That said, it is not specific to this one, but it's true for most of Lutens fragrances of the regular collection.
    As for L'Orpheline, it's a bad example, because it seems to be one of the regular collection quite sought after, and despite my best efforts, I could not spot a bottle for less than $80 for 50ml at discounters. (as opposed to most of the other frags of the regular collection, which can be spotted around $40-60 for 50ml, or even $65-90 for 100ml in some cases).

Quote Originally Posted by StellaDiverFlynn View Post
    Because I'd first fallen love with his oriental and dramatic floral perfumes, I used to wish that he'd return from his experimentation of minimalism to his signature orientals. But after smelling L'Innommable and Le Participe Passé, which are more like meek remix of his older perfumes (especially Le Particpe Passé, although it's fitting for its theme), I'd rather he'd continue his previous exploration...
    I think that Lutens acknowledged the limits of the "oriental and dramatic floral perfumes" exploration. From 1995 until 2005, Lutens released a masterpiece every other release. Thus it's difficult too keep being creative without being repetitive... Like you I'd rather he creates something new at this point, even if that disappoint the early fans.

Basenotes Plus

Turin is a failed chemist (after the publication of a few highly criticized scientific papers that he had to withdraw), who reconverted into perfume critics. I've read just enough of his reviews to understand that it was not worth giving him too much credit. He's like Parker in the wine world: he has a limited nose - and clearly invent parts of his reviews - , but he rules the industry with a guide that scares the producers, because he invented a system to downvote the ones who did not financially "help" him with his guide.

Turin parenthesis being closed, I personally love L'Orpheline and La Religieuse, question of tastes I guess. While the latter may not be very unique, it's well blended imo. As opposed to L'Orpheline, which despite its simple construction, I could not find any similar fragrance to compare with.

One can indeed easily find La Religieuse discounted. That said, it is not specific to this one, but it's true for most of Lutens fragrances of the regular collection.
    As for L'Orpheline, it's a bad example, because it seems to be one of the regular collection quite sought after, and despite my best efforts, I could not spot a bottle for less than $80 for 50ml at discounters. (as opposed to most of the other frags of the regular collection, which can be spotted around $40-60 for 50ml, or even $65-90 for 100ml in some cases).
    That's interesting that not a single point you raise about Turin is empirically true. He still makes his living as a scientist first, with a sideline and passion for perfume. Some of your other claims though are simply ludicrous and offensive. No, Luca Turin does not rule the perfume world and has producers quaking at his reviews. That's just a stupid thing to say. If anything, Turin has minimal to no influence simply because perfume reviewing has almost no influence on the consumer. As for your allegation about financial help with his guide the less said the better.

As for the Lutens mentioned, I could find no redeeming qualities in either, and do not wish to find things that are not there in his experiments in minimalism.
    Most worn:

That's interesting that not a single point you raise about Turin is empirically true. He still makes his living as a scientist first, with a sideline and passion for perfume. Some of your other claims though are simply ludicrous and offensive. No, Luca Turin does not rule the perfume world and has producers quaking at his reviews. That's just a stupid thing to say. If anything, Turin has minimal to no influence simply because perfume reviewing has almost no influence on the consumer. As for your allegation about financial help with his guide the less said the better.

As for the Lutens mentioned, I could find no redeeming qualities in either, and do not wish to find things that are not there in his experiments in minimalism.
    "Ruling" is exaggerated, but he wanted to reproduce the "parker model" with his guide. Reviewing has no influence on the consumer? Really? If so, BN and Fragrantica wouldn't exist, nor any youtube reviewer haha.
    Turin is now working as visiting scientist in a small institute in Greece. By "failed" I meant that he published some works whose conclusions have been disputed in the community, raising concerns also on past work he did, and "burning" the trust of the science community towards him. (after being himself a whistleblower 30 yrs ago... funny).
    Sorry if I hurt your feelings by bringing up unglourious facts about him. You seem to have such an admiration for him.... (Reguarding the book, that's just my point of view, but reguarding his bio, just check his wikipedia page for the whole story, that's not the right thread here to discuss that.)

As for Lutens, sorry you do not appreciate the recent Lutens. I do. It's not because stuff is not loud or in-your-face that these are not there. I pick a lot from this frags, with a real evolution over time, unlike a few of his older frags (i.e. Ambre Sultan, desperatly linear. Not sure why it's often cited in the top 5 ambers, for me it's definitely not).
    Again, question of tastes!
    Last edited by Andy the frenchy; 31st May 2019 at 07:55 PM. Reason: typo

Basenotes Plus

"Ruling" is exaggerated, but he wanted to reproduce the "parker model" with his guide. Reviewing has no influence on the consumer? Really? If so, BN and Fragrantica wouldn't exist, nor any youtube reviewer haha.
    Turin is now working as visiting scientist in a small institute in Greece. By "failed" I meant that he published some works whose conclusions have been disputed in the community, raising concerns also on past work he did, and "burning" the trust of the science community towards him. (after being himself a whistleblower 30 yrs ago... funny).
    Sorry if I hurt your feelings by bringing up unglourious facts about him. You seem to have such an admiration for him.... (Reguarding the book, that's just my point of view, but reguarding his bio, just check his wikipedia page for the whole story, that's not the right thread here to discuss that.)

As for Lutens, sorry you do not appreciate the recent Lutens. I do. It's not because stuff is not loud or in-your-face that these are not there. I pick a lot from this frags, with a real evolution over time, unlike a few of his older frags (i.e. Ambre Sultan, desperatly linear. Not sure why it's often cited in the top 5 ambers, for me it's definitely not).
    Again, question of tastes!
    Nothing you've brought up is not known here, but your own take is slanted and I'd suggested it's you who have some weird axe to grind with Turin, for whatever reasons. I don't really care what those are, and just consider your post troll-like behavior.

As for myself, I enjoy Turin's writing on perfume as witty and concise but that's about the end of my adoration, or however you put it originally. As often as not his opnions aren't mine, especially with some of his 5-star reviews recently.

The Lutens stuff isn't interesting enough for me to reconsider. I enjoy some minimalistic and subtle scents as well, and have few loud scents myself. But these have so far not met my expectations for the house, especially so for one I considered one of the best but is now reduced to trading on past laurels.
    Most worn:

just consider your post troll-like behavior.
    You brought up Turin. I consider citing Turin as a reference a troll-like behavior. Question of point of views, I guess.

The Lutens stuff isn't interesting enough for me to reconsider. I enjoy some minimalistic and subtle scents as well, and have few loud scents myself. But these have so far not met my expectations for the house, especially so for one I considered one of the best but is now reduced to trading on past laurels.
    Ok. Question of taste, I guess.

That said I'm not sure how my posts rephrasing wikipedia are "lucridous and offensive" and a troll-like post, while stating that "Lutens is now reduced to trading on past laurels" is not offensive towards people who still like it, nor how "not a single point I raise about Turin is empirically true" while 2 posts later you state that "Nothing you've brought up is not known here".
    Question of your mood of the day, I guess.

I have a sharp toungue, but never attacked you, nor lacked respect to you, so please be respectful. Thank you in advance.
    Anyways, this is totally out of topic, and I do not wish to keep this discussion going.

Basenotes Plus

You brought up Turin. I consider citing Turin as a reference a troll-like behavior. Question of point of views, I guess.

Ok. Question of taste, I guess.
    As the great Ronald Reagan used to say,

Trolls gotta troll, fish gotta swim, I guess.

That said I'm not sure how my posts rephrasing wikipedia are "lucridous and offensive" and a troll-like post, while stating that "Lutens is now reduced to trading on past laurels" is not offensive towards people who still like it, nor how "not a single point I raise about Turin is empirically true" while 2 posts later you state that "Nothing you've brought up is not known here".
    Question of your mood of the day, I guess.
    Your own spin on the events leaves much to be desired. I'll leave it at that.

I have a sharp toungue, but never attacked you, nor lacked respect to you, so please be respectful. Thank you in advance.
    Anyways, this is totally out of topic, and I do not wish to keep this discussion going.
    You're annoying, and I'd guess annoying just to be annoying, which I think is the very definition of a troll.

Have a nice day though.
    Most worn:

Now you have to PAY for the wax samples...
    Lol times have changed..

Luca Turin gave Givenchy π one star..
    But he gave Britney Spears five stars for midnight fantasy...
    π is my favourite fragrance.

I have about 4 of his classics, but does anyone
    have an opinion as to the new ones(last decade or so) that are worth sampling?
    Currently wearing: Starwalker by Montblanc

Quote Originally Posted by RS2AM View Post
    I have about 4 of his classics, but does anyone
    have an opinion as to the new ones(last decade or so) that are worth sampling?
    I suggest you try:
    - L'Innomable (unisex/masculine)
    - Le Participe Passé (unisex/masculine)
    - Vitriol d'Oeillet (masculine)
    - L'Orpheline (unisex)
    - La Religieuse (feminine)
    - L'Haleine des Dieux

If you like light green scents:
    - L'Eau de Paille (unisex)
    - L'Eau d'Armoise (unisex)

Fresh from this morning. Great review of L'Eau de Paille by Galen (Aetherealist).

https://youtu.be/f_jUezMOfxQ