Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default My experience of living with just 12 fragrances - An enforced experiment

So for the last 3 months I have been living in temporary accommodation as I have been between house moves, and as such most of my non-essential belongings have been in storage, including the majority of my 100 bottle perfume collection. As the move was rather rushed I didn't really have too much time to think and I just grabbed 12 bottles that took my fancy at the time and I knew i could wear over the colder months and possibly into the beginning of spring. Initially there was a slight bit of panic that I wouldn't have my entire collection to choose from, which is pretty silly really when looking at the grand scheme of things to worry about.

What I found was quite refreshing (and I guess actually predictable). Surviving with a small collection was actually fine! In fact, it has been quite enjoyable. There was almost a weight lifted without having the 'pressure' of making a decision on what to wear, and the fragrances I have worn I've actually enjoyed and appreciated a lot more. The interesting thing is that I found this also had a knock on effect to my behaviour towards other material items. A few years ago I started becoming interested in collecting watches. Just like perfumes, one wasn't enough. I wanted different dials, different technologies, different movements, bezels etc. Now whilst my watch collection DIDN'T go into storage, I found myself mainly wearing just my favourite one or two anyway. Same with my clothes. My change in behaviour/attitude towards my perfumes definitely influenced my behaviour towards other things, which i found quite interesting.

I'm in the process of going through my boxes that were in storage now and I actually came across a box of perfumes yesterday. However, I wasn't in a great rush to get them all out. I'll still keep a moderate collection in the future, and I'll definitely buy more fragrances that interest me, but I think I'm definitely past that phase of needing to smell everything, needing new t-shirts all the time, wanting the latest release models of certain watches etc.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: My experience of living with just 12 fragrances - An enforced experiment

Sounds like it has worked out fine for you. Good luck in your move!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Default Re: My experience of living with just 12 fragrances - An enforced experiment

Cheers Hednic!

Can I ask how you cope with your vast collection? Do you for example separate a certain number of bottles away from your main collection to use each month, or do you look through the entire collection when choosing your SOTD?

Dependent

I have recently been through a similar experience. I had access to my limit supply of perfumes during my house move, but some were considerably more accessible than others so I picked those out almost without fail.

What I noticed was that I favoured samples considerably more during that time and that practice has continued. It dawned on me that a 2mL sample would last a few wearings and, as such, lasted a fair amount of time for me.

Fortunately, I've always been frugal with respect to watches (never really bothered with them) or clothes, plus I don't drink or smoke so it reinforced a money-saving aspect in buying samples above buying larger decants or bottles as I tended towards previously.

using the same fragrance frequently allows you to figure out how to best wear it.. I think a lot of guys give up because their first experience wasn't what they thought it would be.

wear it 10-20 more times, and you discover new things about it, where to apply, how much, etc.. you GET TO KNOW them.

that's important.

Good for you. I’m sure Marie Kondo would approve.

Great to hear. I'm digging minimalism lately.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by darcy666 View Post
    Cheers Hednic!

Can I ask how you cope with your vast collection? Do you for example separate a certain number of bottles away from your main collection to use each month, or do you look through the entire collection when choosing your SOTD?
    When home, pretty much choose randomly.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Freed from BN Institution

Glad things went well.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Those kinds of experiences are indeed refreshing. I'm not surprised you enjoyed it!

I've had similar experiences which Is why I've moved down from 325 bottles to about 85, with then intention to get down to 60. And who knows what will happen from there. But I find I come to appreciate the good fragrances much more when they're something a I can wear a few times a month as opposed to a few times a year (if that).

So what's the plan for the future? You said you'l still keep a "moderate" collection. Does that mean you're going to be getting rid of some of your 100 bottle collection?

I do not have a big collection and I like it that way.I find less is more for me.I wear the fragrances I really like often. Having too many fragrances would just mix me up.

I’ve slimmed down my wardrobe and have fragrances with a purpose mainly work and going out mature fragrances. Most are very versatile and I like I that way there are many fragrances out there but I like having ones that fit certain occasions and work better. Won’t stop me from venturing out for more but not interested in having more than I can enjoy wear and focus on becomes too much very easily.

Thanks for this post - I've found that when I stop buying, I'm able to shift my focus and attention towards enjoying what I have - and I have a small but mighty, heavyweight collection, so that works out well for me.

I think it's like anything else material, where the chase of getting the next new watch is what people focus on instead of looking down and enjoying the really nice watch that's already on their wrist.

I honestly cannot believe anyone is completely blown away with 100 different perfumes... I mean you can like a perfume, but blown away from every perfume? No way.

Why don't people just end up with a "collection" containing all perfumes that blew one away?

Good luck on your new place and hope all goes well for you. I have had similar experiences of downsizing and minimalism in many parts of my life as well, by choice or forced, it was always for the better in the long run. Things get less 'cluttered in the brain' for me and I get to laser focus on a few good and better things.

I recently broke my smartphone (about 3 weeks ago) and usually if this happens I would get it fixed immediately. This time I decided to wait and see how I function without it. I felt like In the beginning, I thought I was suffocating or FOMO'ing out, but after some time, since I had the top most important people in my life know to just either email me or call my work or Land line at home if they needed to contact me, I really was fine.

I noticed these days I go to sleep quicker (spend less time on the phone when in bed) , spend more time reading (some books on my counter I always wanted to delve into again , but always reached for the phone ) , spent less time on the toilet (tmi, but I'm sure this is true for most) , and spending more time focused on my music practice. (I'm still relatively socially graceful, as I am not one of those glued to my phone to my face in the public constantly; I am always aware of my surroundings and acknowledge people around me).
    I like it!
    Creed Original Santal

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by Grolubao View Post
    I honestly cannot believe anyone is completely blown away with 100 different perfumes... I mean you can like a perfume, but blown away from every perfume? No way.

Why don't people just end up with a "collection" containing all perfumes that blew one away?
    I think 100 perfumes that blow someone away is possible. There are so many to try.

However, I have fragrances in my collection that do not blow me away. I got them out of curiosity - I want to wear them once in a while, even if I'm not blown away.

Getting by on 12 perfumes is no problem if I can have my favorites.
    Last edited by Bavard; 13th March 2019 at 05:51 PM.

*dupe post*
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Great story and I can definitely respect your reasons for slimming down everything else in your life after experiencing this.

I experienced something similar. Boxed up my modest collection of 30 or so fragrances when I moved into my new home last year. About a month after moving into our new home, my SO called it quits and left. I was devastated. In my moment of self reflection I discovered that I had become obsessive about collecting fragrances because it filled a void in my life. My relationship wasn't healthy. I tried to fix it with good communication but she was pretty toxic and immature, so I gave up on talking and looked for happiness on material things until she would "come around" (life lesson learned here, love people for who they are, not what they have the potential to be). So I focused on things I could control, like collecting. It wasn't just fragrances, it was also my movie collection, camera lenses, etc.

After I had this post-breakup epiphany, I told myself that I would only live with that truly makes me happy and get rid of the rest (people and material things). So that's exactly what I did and it feels so good to have less of everything. I kept only the fragrances that I truly loved, not liked. I still have a few fragrances in the box waiting for new owners, but they are out of sight and out of mind and will find new homes soon. I now have 7 fragrances (see my wardrobe if curious) and they all put a huge smile on my face every time I wear them. I'll probably add more over the years, but not out of addiction or the sake of collecting, but because I am BLOW AWAY by the smell or they've created a pleasant scent memory association. I want meaning with everything in my life, including what I choose to wear for fragrance.

EDIT: This has also renewed my love for sampling. I can still feed my need to try new things and have input with discussions on BN by doing this.

DISCLAIMER: Those with massive collections, good for you. Each to their own. We all have different reasons for doing what we do. Mine was unhealthy and it doesn't mean yours is.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Grolubao View Post

Well, because there’s also stuff that one may like and enjoy wearing now and then. And those that fit certain scenarios really well in an enjoyable way. I don’t see the need to own only “mind blowing” scents. But I do agree that 100 is too many for me.

This is why my 5 rotation has always been my way. 7 tops. Simple and I can change the rotation anytime I’m done with one. I usually fall for something and use it non stop anyways...right now it’s Varvatos Vintage. The only one always in rotation is Burberry London and since 2006 I’m only on my 2nd bottle because it’s my wife’s fave and for special occasions since it was wedding/honeymoon. I’m actually mid 5 rotation change now. Finished Polo Blue EDP and Bleecker St and now only have Varvatos Vintage, Platinim Egoiste, London and some spares I never wear. Plus some ScentBird samples. Bleu de Chanel was going to be in but kids didn’t react well..alot of sneezing. So we will see what else is added.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan
    Currently wearing: Vintage by John Varvatos

I have been thinking about doing something similar, and I often realize when I am away from home for like 1 to 4 weeks that I only take 2-3 things with me and I'm fine with that. I have boxed up a bunch (But they are easily accessible...) and have what I call "The basket of the forgotten" which is a big basket with a bunch of "also rans" that I do like now and then so I keep them. Maybe my next step will be to cut it down to 12-ish, or, thereabouts, maybe. Thing is I have been actually thinking as well about that "signature scent" sort of thing and have had some people like a few things so much that they actually said "THAT could be a signature scent for you" and thankfully they are things I like as well but I know I could not get it down to just ONE. I now only have about 40 out where they are RIGHT THERE so I have made some progress. I also like the idea someone mentioned of moving back to just doing samples again for a while but I'm also afraid it will activate the "I REALLY like and want that one" thing, so it could be dangerous I have slowed down on buying a LOT this past year or so.

I like my small wardrobe, and prefer to keep my fragrance purchases limited. Whatever works best for you.
    “You are the bait. The bait is you.” ~Trick or Treat (1986)

I'm going to start enforcing a "one-out-one-in" guideline to keep my collection from expanding beyond a modest size. I think the joy of this hobby is dependent on developing relationships and emotional associations with given scents. If I'm always wearing something different, that doesn't happen (at least not in the same way).
    Cheapie Swap Thread

Current Favorites
    Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Hermès Eau des Merveilles, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

I had the opposite. In a recent move I only brought about half my scents with me (my collection is probably only around 30 bottles), and I ended up buying more full bottles than I have in the past couple of years.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

If the respective 12 fragrances are the personal favorites and the best ones to be choses/preferred for one self, why not

Heyayayayayyyyyyy......we ARE taking fragrance, right?

Woops, I meant talking, not taking.

Quote Originally Posted by Latency View Post
    I experienced something similar. Boxed up my modest collection of 30 or so fragrances when I moved into my new home last year. About a month after moving into our new home, my SO called it quits and left. I was devastated. In my moment of self reflection I discovered that I had become obsessive about collecting fragrances because it filled a void in my life. My relationship wasn't healthy. I tried to fix it with good communication but she was pretty toxic and immature, so I gave up on talking and looked for happiness on material things until she would "come around" (life lesson learned here, love people for who they are, not what they have the potential to be). So I focused on things I could control, like collecting. It wasn't just fragrances, it was also my movie collection, camera lenses, etc.

After I had this post-breakup epiphany, I told myself that I would only live with that truly makes me happy and get rid of the rest (people and material things). So that's exactly what I did and it feels so good to have less of everything. I kept only the fragrances that I truly loved, not liked. I still have a few fragrances in the box waiting for new owners, but they are out of sight and out of mind and will find new homes soon. I now have 7 fragrances (see my wardrobe if curious) and they all put a huge smile on my face every time I wear them. I'll probably add more over the years, but not out of addiction or the sake of collecting, but because I am BLOW AWAY by the smell or they've created a pleasant scent memory association. I want meaning with everything in my life, including what I choose to wear for fragrance.
    Sorry about your loss. I know firsthand what that is like. Having a passion for fragrances was probably one of those little things that kept me sane all those dark years. At least fragrances don’t cheat on you, reformulations notwithstanding lol.

I like variety too much to ever go under 40 bottles, I do believe. I think I’d get bored with a small collection.

That said, if finances dictated, it wouldn’t kill me to slow the roll. It’s just stuff.

Fragrance anorexia should not be encouraged. Your rotation is unhealthfully slim. Basenoters are here to help. Start by wearing at least three fragrances daily, not necessarily all at once. In time you’ll be back up to a normal, healthy fragrance habit. Be strong. The Basenoters are all rooting for you.